As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

i keep having to make threads like these

OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited January 2012 in Social Entropy++
what should this one be about?

fuck it

let's say theatre

y'all ever participate in theatre

of the shakespearean or even secondary school sort

http://youtu.be/fETm6neCEJ0?t=5m42s

or perhaps you like musicals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DDdM66_nSI

let's fucking talk in here

Orikaeshigitae on

• alternatingAberrationalternatingAberration I am the milk man My milk is deliciousRegistered User regular
    I once played the star role as an elvis rock-a-billy Dracula in my highschool play. It had a lot of singing.

Next play I was the mime.

xI8QS1g.jpg?1
  • TefTef Registered User regular
    I was a Resident Director at a theatre called the Blue Room for about 3 months. Long enough for me to realise that I was:

a) A glorified stage hand

b) A talentless hack

So I got a real job

I can't see that video through the work filter, but it better have been Sondheim

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Nope. can is till post in here?

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I played Jacob, Potiphar, Herod and Lieutenant Schrank in school musicals.

• Airking850Airking850 Ottawa, ONRegistered User regular
    I had a smallish role in a school musical when I was in junior high

I played one of the cooks in Cap o' Rushes, and there was a musical number where I made fun of the king I worked for.

It was the extent of my theater career.

• FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    I find going to the theatre uncomfortable if there is high emotion on display

I need that barrier that the cinema offers.

i've seen a couple plays.

i could lie and say i've been in them.

• OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Melding wrote:
    Nope. can is till post in here?

yeah. what's up?

honestly i just wanted a thread that wasn't fucking rigidly on-topic.

edited January 2012
    you know, stuff.

Got really excited int he xcom thread.

Still the best.

got a PM about an art i asked someone to make.

There was a bad news in there, but today has been a good day.

Melding on
    FAQ wrote:

"Contemporary" theatre and performance 'art' are the two worst offenders for me in terms of making me feel uncomfortable. Not as in, 'this is so well made and and I don't want to have this intimate of a relationship with the actors' but more that they will try and act out a rape scene as graphically as possible to generate some kind of shock from the audience.

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
    like I was at some play a few years ago ther woman was crying on the ground and I was like I can't deal with this

and god bless you for it orikae

making women cry is my speciality

Tef wrote:
    FAQ wrote:

"Contemporary" theatre and performance 'art' are the two worst offenders for me in terms of making me feel uncomfortable. Not as in, 'this is so well made and and I don't want to have this intimate of a relationship with the actors' but more that they will try and act out a rape scene as graphically as possible to generate some kind of shock from the audience.

you ever seen angels in america?

shit is harrowing, and for good reason

if you're comfortable then you're not really being challenged, and that goes for any kind of art, not just trying to get a reaction

• QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    I like comfy art

I want art that is like a warm blanket and a mug of cocoa

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    One of my earliest memories is of elementary school, we had some play about the environment, and I wanted to get the part of a particular person because they were supposed to be Australian and I had a boonie hat that had buttons on it so you could put one side up, just like they do in Australia!

And I tried out hard but I didn't get that part but they gave me some other part and so I was excited anyway. And then I got really sick and couldn't be at school the day the play was scheduled to be on, and the day I got back from being sick I felt so ashamed walking by the bulletin board and seeing my name on the print-out flyer because I knew it wasn't me who had been on stage. I let everybody down.

I was like, seven.

• OdenOden Registered User regular
    my ex was in musical theatre and so were all her friends, so I guess I learned a lot about the industry and stuff while we were going out

she had to tour a lot cause she is in a big production so it didn't work out

people in theatre are an interesting bunch

and all the men are actually gay

My first childhood memory is getting hit in the head with a sledge hammer.

And every time i can form words, i remind my dad of this.

Melding wrote:
    My first childhood memory is getting hit in the head with a sledge hammer.

And every time i can form words, i remind my dad of this.

i was thinking the other day how we both have pretty traumatic childhoods

that might be the blackest joke i have ever told

Wow uh I didn't mean to turn the thread into this direction

• facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    I once played a soldier in a third grade production of the Nutcracker.

We had to learn this marching sequence, it was pretty fun. I even had a very short line.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
    A friend of mine lives with some musical theater students

They had a cast party and wanted to watch a video of their latest musical, so they got my friend to set it up on her laptop for them. Then, when their ridiculously large unencoded video file didn't open on her laptop, the theater kids booed her in her own living room.

No, it was the time you showed up and started doing your chris rock impersonation.

Most of my stage performances have been chorus though.

Or juggling.

Real strong, facetious.

Melding wrote:

No, it was the time you showed up and started doing your chris rock impersonation.

white people dial the phone like this

if you're comfortable then you're not really being challenged, and that goes for any kind of art, not just trying to get a reaction

I agree in principle, but the type of thing I'm talking about here is people that are wholly and solely attempting to get shock reactions from their audiences without any clear or thought-out direction to the piece outside of, 'I'm gonna paint on this portrait with poo'

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
    I did a stint my senior year of high school in some school plays, had a lot of fun in the one-act play festival. I wish I could remember the names of the shows we put on, I'm sure my mother has the playbill stuffed in some storage bin somewhere but I've never been very good at storing things like that for nostalgia later on. At least, not properly storing them.

Tef wrote:

I agree in principle, but the type of thing I'm talking about here is people that are wholly and solely attempting to get shock reactions from their audiences without any clear or thought-out direction to the piece outside of, 'I'm gonna paint on this portrait with poo'

eh. they're just assholes then

Quoth wrote:
    I like comfy art

me too

'swhy i keep coming back to adventure time

Melding wrote:

white people dial the phone like this

http://www.feanor.net/z0r/shock/whiteblack.swf

exactly, orik. I'll have to check out Angels in America. I just did some googling and it looks pretty interesting

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
    Quoth wrote:
    I like comfy art

me too

But they throw a total gut punch in every once in a while.

what then?

• -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    Tef wrote:

If one paints a portrait with poo the medium used is not in fact poo, it is the reactions of the people that look upon it. The artist is not creating a picture made of faeces, they are making a picture made of raw revulsion. The art is as irrelevant to the final product as a brush is to an oil painting, simply a tool, not the art itself.

Actually I have a kinda funny story about chorus.

There was this winter performance we were putting on, and one of the songs had a duet at the beginning. Guy/girl. The guy chosen was one of our baritones, a guy named Richard.

He was not particularly enthused about this, it seemed. So anyway, once it got far enough into rehearsals that we were rehearsing with the staging, he'd always do this thing. He'd go to the front for the duet, then make his way back to the back of the group (where the baritones were positioned) to finish the song. And I was on the very end of the tenors, so he walked right past me in the small gap between sections. Every time he turned around after finishing the duet, he'd walk straight at me and mutter, "Fuck!" Or "Shit!"

It became a bit of a running joke. Anyway, so before our big hometown performance, we had a performance in a catwalk overhanging the lobby of the Pittsburgh International Airport. We were treating it as a warmup mostly, since there wasn't to be a proper audience as such. And I was wondering if Richard would still do it at a "real" performance, and surely enough, he did.

Finally, at the real proper recital for all our parents and lots of people from the neighbourhood (we were a big ticket event, yo) (not really) (but kinda?), I had the usual nervous energy going, and that song was early in our set - maybe the first? I can't remember. So they're doing their duet, and I'm just standing there all nervous, trying to remember our cue, blah blah blah, and of course, Richard turns around and curses right at me. And I just lost it and started laughing uncontrollably - nervous laughter, mostly, and I just couldn't stop. I managed to keep it quiet, but I completely missed the cue and literally the entire first verse because of my laughing. It was horrible.

So, bad enough, right? Well, the next day in chorus class, our teacher announces that one of my friends, who was in the A/V club, videotaped the entire performance. I immediately think, "Oh, shit." So it starts to play, and very quickly I realise that the shot isn't wide enough to encompass the whole chorus, so he's panning slowly side to side. And I'm just sitting there, horribly anxious, and praying I'm somehow not on camera when that part comes. And so the duet's going on and the camera is panning toward my side of the group, and I'm just willing it to move faster, sitting there with a feeling of dread.

Somehow, the camera panned back to the left, cutting me out of frame, about a second or two before I broke up. This was legitimately one of the greatest feelings of relief I've experienced in my entire life. Even though of course in retrospect it wasn't a big deal. But still.

Real strong, facetious.

• Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Catharsis.

Fuck off and die.
    Airking850 wrote:
    Quoth wrote:
    I like comfy art

me too

But they throw a total gut punch in every once in a while.

what then?

oh man

this is going to be one of Those Threads, where i end up writing a huge essay on why some piece of culture works despite nobody actually caring

awesome

go find the max payne thread while i eat 2 am fast food. i'll be back to this idea.

• Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    The speed you people post at is hellacious.

Fuck off and die.