As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

When the bar comes off your chest... don't stop [Weightlifting thread]

• Options
    JyardanaJyardana Registered User regular
    God, first good weather day last year i did my sprints outside, shirtless.

I blistered. I couldn't squat for a week. I didn't sleep on my back for 4 days.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    white people

poo
  • Options
    TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    white people

Trust me, Shaz. I am no longer white.

• Options
    lobster people!

poo
  • Options
    ninzorjonsninzorjons Registered User regular
    I totally wish it was sunny here...I'll trade you lucky buggers.

So the only official notification I got that I was entered in the meet coming up on the 15th was a phone call asking "equipped, or unequipped? Okay, that's all." No roster posted on the website (not yet, at least), and no emails/phone calls. I guess I'm just supposed to show up and be like "uh, I'm here to lift heavy things?"

"Be excellent to each other."
  • Options
    big lbig l Registered User regular
    ninzorjons wrote:
    I totally wish it was sunny here...I'll trade you lucky buggers.

So the only official notification I got that I was entered in the meet coming up on the 15th was a phone call asking "equipped, or unequipped? Okay, that's all." No roster posted on the website (not yet, at least), and no emails/phone calls. I guess I'm just supposed to show up and be like "uh, I'm here to lift heavy things?"

Yeah, you probably should reply and tell them you are lifting unequipped but usually it's pretty low info.

• Options
    ninzorjonsninzorjons Registered User regular
    Yeah, I let them know.

Stoked to compete, but much like deload weeks, the one bit I dislike about this is not being able to bust ass every day in the gym for the week leading up to the meet. Jus' don't feel right!

"Be excellent to each other."
  • Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    Woo... 90kg x2 bench press today. I am so strong! Now I just need to add 2kg and it's a bodyweight bench!

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    could really feel an improvement on bench with that elbow flaring tip. I don't have a spotter though so I can't do big weight

• Options
    Jars wrote:
    could really feel an improvement on bench with that elbow flaring tip. I don't have a spotter though so I can't do big weight

same, and same. it really did help a lot.

poo
  • Options
    I felt like a god on the track today.

Weightroom, not so much, but still a damn good day.

• Options
    moocowmoocow Registered User regular
    I am going fucking crazy living at home (I am 29 and recently moved in TEMPORARILY with my dad, his wife, and her brother, who is also here temporarily). I've been here 2 months, and it's finally getting to me.

Thank god for gym and running and hiking so I can get away from these people for a few hours a day.

imttnk.png
    PS4:MrZoompants
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I got a light band from elitefts to do band shoulder dislocates and other stretching stuff and it's pretty great. I like it was more than a broomstick or towel or whatever I was using before.

• Options
    I use a thick rubber shipping band I got from the garbage of a loading dock of a big box store I worked at ages ago. I have a whole box of them. Resilient as fuck and work great for band added resistance, stretching,etc.

• Options
    That makes a lot of sense, I guess I could have looked for something like that. I felt funny buying what's essentially a giant rubber band but it was on sale and it's the only one I'll ever have to buy so I figured it's an ok investment.

• Options
    BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    My deadlift sure does suck, it has gone down considerably since I stopped doing it. My last set was only 205x4 .......at this rate I will never be stronger than shazkar in all areas

dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    bluh i did 285x5 DL (barely, but I did it) last week, so I tried 295, couldn't get it off the floor, tried 275 and could only get 5 reps over 2 sets... my hamstrings felt weak, maybe they were tired from snowboarding last weekend?

still, sad

i have prepared my lunch of 1 lb of beef and 2 sweet potatoes
    still have not figured out how to consume correct amounts of food, especially protein, but i figure things like this will help

poo
  • Options
    BEAST! wrote:
    My deadlift sure does suck, it has gone down considerably since I stopped doing it. My last set was only 205x4 .......at this rate I will never be stronger than shazkar in all areas

it's cool, it'll go up fast and then you'll be stronger than me in all areas

poo
  • Options
    I have a new goal. There are two 43" boxes by our olympic platform. I would like to be able to jump onto them. I had a couple of cracks last night when no-one was around and I kept coming up about 3-4" short.

I think more cleans and box jumps on my assistance days is about all I can do as it will need to be a side project around my Sheiko program.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Calf work. Nothing but calf raises, all day erry day.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    I made a separate thread over at Help and Advice, and was suggested to check this thread out.

The cliff notes version is that I'm 6'4, over 200 lbs filled with muscle in the arms and legs, a bit of flab and love handles on my stomach. I want to bulk up, shave off the handles and stomach (or mold it into muscle), and I have a decent amount of weights and equipment to make do.

Here's the long version for those wanting more details:
    I don't doubt that this is the one millionth excercise-related thread in this subforum, but it's also my first one, so do be kind.

For years I have tried to keep a rather steady excercise routine, where I would either do weights or cardio three times or more a day. Recently I got into a jogging routine where I would alternate between walking and jogging (stamina permitting) at night for roughly two miles. While my legs look great, my left ankle (which I sprained years before and still gives me issues now....though I'm also taking steps to help fix that) prevents me from taking it further, while a recent Christmas cold has left me couped up for over two weeks. Now I can barely go five minutes without getting tired.

Simply put, my body is in terrible shape. I don't consider myself a fatso, as the thread title suggests, but there are some physical imperfections I want to commit to fixing (my love handles being the biggest offender...just getting rid of those alone would drastically improve my looks). I also want to get a better looking body overall, because I certainly have the build for it.

I feel the first thing I should do is describe myself, what my daily food take is, and what I would like to achieve.

Physically, I'm 6'4, weighing at....let's say over 200 lbs, under 250. I used to regularly lift weights, focusing on the arms mostly, and on my best day I nearly hit 300 on the bench. Nowadays, I've barely lifted anything due to my garage looking more like an indoor garage sale. I do have access to dumbells and other weights though, so keep that in mind. I also have a treadmill, stationary bike, and punching bag (though there's a ton of crap covering that last one).

My food regimen: my dad does the bulk of the cooking, making dinner at least 5 days a week. We typically go barbeque, including steaks on Saturday, burgers on Sunday, and occasionally one or the other for another day. He also tends to make omeletts, pasta, hot dogs....basically there isn't a day where I'm not eating some kind of meat. On fridays we always have pizza. Lunch I typically have a sanwich (one slice of cheese and ham) and chips. For drinks I mainly have cofee in the afternoon, Diet Pepsi in the evening. I also drink quite a bit of water, at least three bottles worth, and tend to have some pieces of fruit when available (which isn't often...if I could buy a particular fruit in bulk, I'd like to know which is the most beneficial). Due to my current schedule, I usually don't have breakfast (but that might change), but I do occasionally have cereal as a snack.

Also, another routine is every night I have a late snack consisting of a cofee cup's worth of milk and three oreos. Exactly three.

I'm sure more then a few health nuts are shaking their heads at the above post, and I am willing to make some cuts, but I would also like the possibility of designing a daily regimen that lets me eat that kind of stuff while still achieving a leaner body and bigger muscles. Again, I'm a big guy, so asking me to immediately switch to vegetables and such is too big a sacrifice.

My younger sister is a serious health nut, emphasis on the nuts. While she's in terrific shape, getting up at 5am to jog 2 miles non-stop, she also eats all manner of foods that look like something aliens from cartoons would eat. Basically she mixes up the ingrediants that are healthy on principle, but clearly taste awful as a whole. Regardless, she does suggest I should give up the sanwiches for lunch and have more protein, including chicken and pasta. This would mean I'd have to learn to cook this stuff, but that's a whole other subject.

So with all that in mind, I would love your advice in designing a full-proof daily regimen that conforms to my build and caloric intake. I know push-ups and sit-ups are typical no-brainers, but I'd also like to know how many I should do in a day, the types of each excercise I should do (crunches? supermans? halfsies?), etc. YouTube vids and other suggestions will all be taken into account.

Basically, the more detailed the info, the more I can put together a list that I can follow that (hopefully) will bulk my build without breaking my back.

Hoping to get some recommended weight exercises, cardio exercises, foods to eat, and how often I should do so on a weekly basis.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Kill the late night Oreos.

Get regular quality sleep, and squat deep 3 times a week...

That will help strengthen your ankle.

• Options
    Cardio? Is there a swimming pool near you?

• Options
    I forgot to mention that I do indeed own a swimming pool, built right into my backyard.

Though currently it's too cold to swim in.

• Options
    I'm sure more then a few health nuts are shaking their heads at the above post, and I am willing to make some cuts, but I would also like the possibility of designing a daily regimen that lets me eat that kind of stuff while still achieving a leaner body and bigger muscles. Again, I'm a big guy, so asking me to immediately switch to vegetables and such is too big a sacrifice.

My opinion is that getting results breaks down as - Diet 50%, Rest 30%, Exercise 20%

It's hard to out-exercise a bad diet. The amount of work you would need to do is just not worth the hassle. Leaning up and building muscle at the same time is possible but you need to keep a check on what you're putting in. Do some quick reading on macronutrient basics and start looking at what's in your food. I know I'm going to sound like a weirdo when I say this but my first thought when eating anything is "why am I eating this? What am I gaining from it?"

For the goals you describe, you want protein - and lots of it. This is good, because you get to eat the awesome stuff - meat, fish, dairy, eggs, beans, nuts etc. Base your diet around getting a good protein source at every turn. Try and make up the rest with fibre and complex carbs but don't sweat the small stuff too much (it is more important that you are eating enough). Avoid straight sugar (sorry, Oreos) as much as possible because there's just nothing to be gained from it.

In terms of exercise, heavy compound barbell exercises - often. Squat, bench, deadlift, powerclean and chinups will build you up fast. A good beginner program might be Starting Strength (the book is also very helpful for learning technique) and that will have you lifting three times a week I think. Add in a couple of days of just general cardio (jump on the bike for 30-40 min or go a few rounds on the bag maybe) and you've got yourself a strong routine.

These are just my (basic) thoughts. There are some guys around here that can thrash out the nutritional stuff a bit better than me but the best thing you can do is just to start as soon as possible and work on things as you go.

Get that 300lb bench back, too. That would be boss.

• Options
    Gonna go bench tonight after almost a week off, stomach flu kicked my ass all over the place. Tonight the weights will pay.

• Options
    Peen wrote:
    Gonna go bench tonight after almost a week off, stomach flu kicked my ass all over the place. Tonight the weights will pay.

Balance must be restored!

• Options
    edited January 2012

It's hard to out-exercise a bad diet. The amount of work you would need to do is just not worth the hassle. Leaning up and building muscle at the same time is possible but you need to keep a check on what you're putting in. Do some quick reading on macronutrient basics and start looking at what's in your food. I know I'm going to sound like a weirdo when I say this but my first thought when eating anything is "why am I eating this? What am I gaining from it?"

My typical answer? "It tastes good".

You mention that I can eat eggs, meats and such, which sounds great. But the part I'm wondering about is how much of it becomes too much? How big an ounce of steak becomes acceptable, and how many portions of rice or mashed potatoes can go along with it? That's what I need to figure out most of all.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    Eat 3 square meals a day, breakfast, lunch and dinner. Eat until you no longer feel hungry, not until you feel full.

That's it. Done.

• Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    At 6'4" 200-250 pounds you are not a big guy. Diet is tough to change, but change it.

Otherwise yeah, starting strength / stronglifts programs would be a great place for you to start.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Even at 6'4 250lbs is big

• Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_45rOFE738

I'd fucking love to look like that. I guess Prof Snuggles is aiming for something similar, too...

• Options
    Don't get me wrong, I won't eat it if it doesn't taste good. But the two things aren't mutually exclusive. Not even close.

Maybe I am the worst to give advice on this because everything I do is just rule of thumb stuff. I dislike counting calories and I tolerate counting protein. My dinners will have 200-250g of whatever I'm basing it around (if it's meat or fish) or I aim for 40-50g protein if it's made of something else. Sides are a handful of whatever else. Handful of mashed spud or kumara, handful of green beans, handful of rice. My current favourites are broccoli and broad beans. I don't think there is a limit to how much salad you can eat. Eat until you're full but not stuffed.

A common rule you hear is 1g protein per lb of bodyweight per day. That can be tough. I try and end up at about .75g and it seems to work well.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_45rOFE738

I'd fucking love to look like that. I guess Prof Snuggles is aiming for something similar, too...

My shoulders are pretty close to that, but man my biceps don't come close currently.

In my case, focusing on dumbbells would be the easiest bet (just have to sneak them to my room). It's just a matter of coming up with the best routine.

I have to find out the best number of reps, exercises, and amount of food to eat based on my size.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    google ad on that video: gay bodybuilding friend

how did you know google

Jars on
  • Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    In my case, focusing on dumbbells would be the easiest bet (just have to sneak them to my room). It's just a matter of coming up with the best routine.

I have to find out the best number of reps, exercises, and amount of food to eat based on my size.

Do you have access to barbells and power racks/squat racks? Because seriously, a beginner's program that includes some heavy barbell work will get you the best results in the shortest amount of time. You don't need to concern yourself with the number of sets/reps/whatever else if you can just follow some basic progression programs like SS, the programs take care of that for you.

If you really want to be anal, you could try to get a rough approximation of your BMR (there's some calculators online that will give you rough results), then base your intake off that... but don't sweat it too much, it's more just to give you a feel for how much you should eat. At this point in time it's best to just start exercising and cleaning up your diet, then worrying about specific macro breakdowns and all that later on.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Well, I'm obsessing about it now because I feel that with my personality quirks, sticking to a specific and written regimen of "eat this Day One, work on this Day Two, etc" would benefit me the most, as well as keep my father (the general chef of the house) to get creative as he tends to do.

"What am I cooking today? Umm, let's see....how about cheeseburgers with bacon?"

"Hey son, I was having some cookies and decided to give you one, purely at random! Come on, don't make me take it back!"

"Oh, you want a coffee? I can make it for you....by the way, I added whipped cream and some sprinkles for the heck of it"

I exaggerate slightly, but it's happened more than once.

• Options
    today maybe i ate enough for once

the 1 lb of beef at lunch helped

but i am not good at this

poo
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    I exaggerate slightly, but it's happened more than once.

You could just turn it down you know.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    First cloudy day in Phoenix since I've been here. My visitor's pass at the gym ended last week, so I've resorted to running, push ups, and sit ups. *sigh*

I guess it doesn't really matter since weightlifting depresses me, because my left arm is still fucked up.

Eventually, I'll probably have to get some type of surgery to fix this shit. Grumble, grumble.

This discussion has been closed.