As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

When the bar comes off your chest... don't stop [Weightlifting thread]

• Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Aphostile wrote:
    I exaggerate slightly, but it's happened more than once.

You could just turn it down you know.

Did I mention he's been a salesman for 30 years?

• TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    He who wants for eggs must endure the cackling of hens

Actually that was a stupid post.

If you're serious about your results, you need to talk to your family about it and be clear about what you're doing and what you expect of them. Otherwise they're (apparently) going to be serving up cookies and whipped cream without thinking they're doing anything wrong.

• Joe ChemoJoe Chemo Registered User regular
    My girlfriend is joining me on my bi-weekly hill sprint adventures. I'm super stoked. She had questions about running form and I couldn't really help her, though (I overthink a lot of things, but not hill sprints). Any big no-nos on hill sprints?

Professor Snugglesworth, there are a lot of ways to go about achieving your goals. I am of the opinion that you should focus on setting some strength/conditioning goals and eating healthier. The aesthetics will follow. Form follows function, and all that.

Diet:
    At this point, too much detail is your enemy. Don't worry about macronutrients just yet; just focus on eating less processed food. No more oreos. No more soda. Eat real things; stuff that grows on trees or runs, swims, and flies. Aim for about 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight. You don't have to be OCD about avoiding crap, but don't make it a habit. Cut down on alcohol, if you drink.

Conditioning:
    Set a goal and work towards it. If you achieve your goal of, say, being able to run up hills and walk down them for a half hour without taking a break, you'll be in good shape. And you'll look the part. Other fine goals: double the number of pool laps you can do in 20 minutes, do 100 burpees in 5 minutes, or double the distance you can farmer's walk 100-300lbs in 5 minutes. I'm just throwing these out there; do whatever you feel like.

Strength:
    Same idea with strength. Figure out roughly how much you can squat (no need to find your one rep max, finding your top triple would probably be safer) and try to add a hundred pounds to it over time. Same with deadlifts, some sort of press, some sort of row. If after a year you're squatting and deadlifting 100lbs more than you are now, and you've added 50lbs to your bench and weighted chins (or whatever), you're going to look different. No way to avoid it.

As for sets and reps, there are too many schemes to count. You could simply work up to 3 top sets of 5 and once you are able to do all 3 sets, increase the weight next time. Keep it simple. If you stall (everyone stalls), reset the weight 10-20% and try again.

• moocowmoocow Registered User regular
    Ok, I failed on press again at 105 lbs. I've gotten up to 105 or 110 a bunch of times, reset to 85, approach 105 or 110 again and invariably fail again.

Someone tell me some magic words to help me actually progress on this lift. I think I'll reread the SS section about it and go watch some videos. And next time maybe I'll talk to the guy who runs my gym and see if he can give me some form tips.

imttnk.png
    PS4:MrZoompants
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    How's your back work? I know biggening my back helped my bench and press both, press because a rock solid upper back gives you a platform to push off of.

• ninzorjonsninzorjons Registered User regular
    Switching to thumbless grip was the best thing I ever did for my press.

"Be excellent to each other."
    Oh yeah, that too. I recently did that and I was surprised how much better it felt.

edited January 2012
    My program's been pretty simple lately:
    squat/deadlift (250x3x5/255x2x5)
    press/bench press (100x3x5/150x3x5)
    planks and leg raises, sometimes crunches
    bodyweight push-ups/pull-ups (3x35/3x5)

Sometimes I swap out the deadlifts for power cleans for variety.

edit: stuff in front of the slash is what I do on my "A" day, stuff behind it is my "B" day, MWF

moocow on
    imttnk.png
  • Ashaman42Ashaman42 Registered User regular
    Whooo. 85kg deadlift today, that's over 1 1/4 mes.

Which left me grinning after what started out as a mediocre (at best) workout.

edited January 2012
    moocow wrote:
    My program's been pretty simple lately:
    squat/deadlift (250x3x5/255x2x5)
    press/bench press (100x3x5/150x3x5)
    planks and leg raises, sometimes crunches
    bodyweight push-ups/pull-ups (3x35/3x5)

Sometimes I swap out the deadlifts for power cleans for variety.

edit: stuff in front of the slash is what I do on my "A" day, stuff behind it is my "B" day, MWF

Just my two cents but I'd add some kind of row, either barbell or dumbbell.

Edit: Also this is probably one of those no duh things but a couple days of shoulder dislocates and band pull aparts have my shoulders feeling like a million bucks, not crackling or randomly popping or anything. There might be something to this stretching and warmup stuff.

Peen on
    Shoulder dislocations erry workout. Also many other stretches. But lately I haven't made much progress on my flexibility, I don't think I'll ever be able to keep my knees straight and put my palms flat on the ground again

Wait, I just did it. No shoes though. Whatever, I'll take it! Of course, when I was 22, I could put my palms flat on the ground with bent elbows, and that isn't happening right now.

I used to do bent-over barbell rows, but I cut them when I cut my lifts down from 6 to 2 a workout. Maybe I'll throw them back in there, I don't think I need to focus as hard on the sit-ups/push-ups, I already have enough for a decent score with the Army fitness test.

imttnk.png
  • SliderSlider Registered User regular
    ninzorjons wrote:

...and then you dropped the bar on your face.

Nah, it's cool for press. I was skeptical but it feels totally secure.

Slider wrote:
    ninzorjons wrote:

If your grip fails on press, you have the option of getting out the way. It's not mandatory, but the option is there.

• Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    Hey guys, wanted to share this with you all. It's an instructional video by my brazilian jiujitsu teacher on how to cook some real easy to make mongolian beef. It kinda screamed 'big man food' to me so thought you all might dig it. He's a great guy and a great teacher, check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etpzPwJRwb8&context=C3a508c9ADOEgsToPDskJ_FgryN5UymnzbeVA9qDAI

"I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
    Awesome. Mongolian beef it is.

A mongolian flag has recently been mounted on the wall above one of our squat racks. Pretty boss little additon.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    that is a good name for a cooking show

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    That's a great video, he should make more of those. I wonder if there's a way to make it without the sugar.

• ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    Slider wrote:
    ninzorjons wrote:

which is pretty impressive

• BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    welp...now i know what i'm cooking this weekend!

dfzn9elrnajf.png
    Slider wrote:
    ninzorjons wrote:

If your grip fails on press, you have the option of getting out the way. It's not mandatory, but the option is there.
    Yeah, I've switched to thumbless since it was mentioned in here. I feel totally in control of it and it just feels more comfortable.
    Still, can't break the 105/110 area.

dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    I avoid big numbers on the OHP since my shoulder fell out.

Now I bust a whopping 9kg for 15x3

• That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    OHP is where you sit and lift the weights over your head?

PSN: ThatDaveFella
    OHP is where you sit and lift the weights over your head?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAXPJ3PfdyY

dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    Ah right. Thanks!

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    Back at this again after 4 months off thanks to football.

Bench is still whatevers. Squats are fun now. Gotta do a lot of snowboarding during the winter so my legs need that weight lifting. Feels good man.

• Johnny FabulousJohnny Fabulous burgin' Registered User regular
    Decided to cut down from 185 to 165, so I'm eating at a nice deficit. Unfortunately, today I tasted the sorrow that is lifting on a deficit. Got 405 ready for a 1x5 deadlift and only managed to get 2 reps out before I gassed out. I am going to mope and listen to "Boys Don't Cry" until I stop feeling like a wiener baby.

We tried nothin' and we're all outta ideas.
    xbl gamertag: sublunary
  • Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    That's a great video, he should make more of those. I wonder if there's a way to make it without the sugar.

It's going to be a series, I'm not sure how regularly he'll do it since his main focus is brazilian jiujitsu but when there's an update I'll be sure to post it for you guys. Cuz I love this thread almost as much as I love good food. PA Bigmen!

"I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
    Why does deadlifting leave me so fucked up afterwards if I don't do it first? Stupid CNS or whatever it is.

Ugh.

Both times this week I deadlifted, people were in the rack already (and I'm lazy and don't want to have to set up the bar on the floor somewhere, my gym is crowded with stuff), so I benched first, then DLed, and bluuuurg. Still hit my goals though, I just felt more spent afterwards.

imttnk.png
    I hear you. Spare a thought for our lifters - deadlifting after other movements is the rule at our gym. The theory being that, we need to train the deadlift while fatigued, as that is how we'll be doing it in competition.

I like it.

imttnk.png
  • big lbig l Registered User regular
    Some guy started a kettlebell thread in H/A. I want to post this video in it but I'm worried it wouldn't be helpful advice. Maybe helpful advice as to what to avoid?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scG4SvoLTHg

Note that comments are disabled, wish I could have seen what was posted before they turned them off.

edited January 2012
    Oh hey Ninzorjons is competing this weekend yeah?

Good luck buddy. May all your lights be white

TheRealBadger on
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular

And your face beet red and scary

That's the dream. Get some veeeeeeiiiiins up in this

• Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Okay, so as far as strength-based exercises go, what would be a good weekly regimen? I know about push-ups, situps, bench press, squats (regular or with a barbell?) and dead lifts have been mentioned, but how much should I do on a daily basis?

And in regards to cardio, would it be better to do both strength and cardio on the same day, or split them so it's one day weights, next day cardio, and so on?

I know the routines, I'm just wondering how many sets and variation I should do each day. Do I also only do different exercises each day, or repeat the same processes?

I'm also looking to see if there's a spare bike available, though that just leads to a further question of how much I should be peddling, how intensely, whether my butt should be off the seat, etc.

Professor Snugglesworth on
    I bet the comments were all:

Happy 60 b-day to her

Good turkish get-up (and I don't mean the clothes)

those things swing down to her knees!

imttnk.png
  • ninzorjonsninzorjons Registered User regular

I am, I am! This coming sunday I shall prove my worth.

I've also decided to set some goals/New Year's resolutions for what I should be able to do in 365 days.

In one year I want to be able to squat at least 405lbs (+100lbs from current max), bench at least 325lbs (+100lbs from current max), and deadlift at least 425lbs (+75lbs from current max).

The day after my meet (and tell me if it's a good idea to start the day after, or if I should wait a day), I'm going to start 5/3/1 with the Boring But Big template. I'm also trying to gain weight because I want to be in a higher weight class and, hell, who doesn't like being a bigman.

I wonder if 100lbs is too low an expectation for an entire year? It's obviously hard to judge, depending on many factors and not limited to whether or not said person is reaching their peak physical prowess. I also want to throw a Summer cut in there somewhere, and I don't really know how to go about that so I might just try to persevere through 5/3/1...shouldn't be more than 3 cycles if I can do it like my last cut.

"Be excellent to each other."
    See how you feel after the meet. I always seem to be broken for 3-4 days but you might recover a bit quicker. I trained with a guy who did back to back comps on Saturday and Sunday earlier this year. Equipped on Sat and Raw on Sunday. Unreal.

I think that 100lb on the squat is a good goal to set. It gives you a nice round figure to reach and allows for time to adjust if things aren't going your way. Plus, it doesn't really matter if you hit it sooner than later does it?

This discussion has been closed.