As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EAST] PAX Pokemon League 2012: Rivals!

• ProprietyPropriety PAX Pokemon League Leader! Registered User regular
    Jove wrote:
    This...looks pretty damn badass. I think I would have a lot of fun with this. :D

Now I haven't actually played Pokemon since the original blue/red and Silver, but I've been leaning towards SOMETHING to get me back into it since I got a 3DS for my birthday, and I think this could be it. I'll pick up my copy of black or white (just so I know, what's the difference exactly?) at gamestop in a week or two. Is there any rules of what kind of Pokemon I CAN'T USE? (basically no Mewtwo, Lugia, or any of the legendary Pokemon right?)

As far as identifying the gym leaders is concerned, I know im suppose to look for a green scarf and you guys will also be wandering the halls but I went to pax east last year for the first time and it was HUGE, so is there some sort of meeting spot or usual place you guys appear in where I can find and beat you all in? :P

That's pretty much it. I loved pax last year and I'm going again this year. I never actually did any of the events there, just went to a lot of panels and played some games at the expo, but I think that will change this time. I'm looking to be a lot more social for this event so expect me to be very wild and goofy! XD...well ok i probably won't be wild but I am the definition of goofy. :) (I also love using smileys, don't judge me)

Hooray! A new challenger! I highly recommend Black and White, I think they're the best iteration since Gold and Silver, honestly. I think you'll enjoy them.

The difference between Black and White is the same as the difference between Red and Blue/Gold and Silver, back in the day. That is, there are a few pokemon that are exclusive to each version, and (as was the case with Gold and Silver) there is a legendary pokemon that is specific to each. There are also some minor differences in some trainers you meet, and, unique to Black and White, there is a city exclusive to each version. White has the White Forest, in which you can capture more types of pokemon, and Black has Black City, which is populated with more trainers to fight.

As for rules, as zerzhul kindly mentioned, you can find the rules at www.paxpokemonleague.net/rules. Most of the banned list is just the really powerful legendaries, but not all legendaries are banned! So check the list.

Believe me, the scarves REALLY stand out. Last year I was able to pick out a gym leader standing in the queue line from the viewing area two floors above. We also hold meetups in the handheld lounge at specified times; we'll be picking the times as the convention draws nearer, and you can catch a lot of us there. But, like Heleor says, the lines to battle leaders at the meetups are usually really long, so you might be forced to wait! But if you catch us wandering around, you'll be able to jump into battle right away. A lot of leaders will be tweeting their locations periodically, so you can try to hunt them down that way, too.

So yeah! Great to have you on board!
    Scunosi wrote:
    As for specific meet-ups, last year I asked a leader if they were going to do anything and they told me they were meeting at so-and-so area at such time, which was nice, but I'm not sure if they actually had any signs or anything. Then again since they're not official they may not be allowed to post anything, but if they could somewhere visible in a high-traffic area that'd be nice.

Heleor's right, we're not allowed to put up signs, and since we're not an official event or anything it gets pretty hard to spread the word. We're going to try to get meetup times posted on the website as early as possible so people see them, and spread the word through twitter and facebook and whatnot. We've also got another little project that might help... but more on that will be announced... next week!

That guy with the ridiculously long scarf at PAX. Say Hi!
    Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
  • cocowoushicocowoushi Registered User regular
    Wear your won badges on your landyard! Lots of people spotted them before because of buttoneers and helped spread awareness that way too!

Also yes, scarves are NEON GREEN. I had people easily spotting me, especially from the second floor. Just be considerate to us leaders. Sometimes we need to take off to see parts of the con too, but I was willing to join a line to a panel I wasn't intending so to get a march in, or have people follow me to battle in that line.

• feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I'm in this year. And on the plus side, I can force Propriety to battle me in our hotel room if necessary. :P

For realsyreals, I'm excited to get into this, this year. But I almost want to have my own PPL scarf to display my won badges, though naturally in a different color. The way some of the gym leaders displayed theirs on their scarves just looks cooler. I dunno why though, but if they could get just one large one per leader, then put that on their scarves to display which gym leader they were over the smaller buttons on display, that would just be cool.

I wonder how much one of those button stamper machines go for...

*checks online*

HOLY MOTHER OF PIKACHU!!!! $29.95 FOR A STARTER KIT?!!? Okay, I may be suddenly volunteering to make those for you guys. Except the smallest size of button backs after the starter is 100. Hmmmm...

feitocomfruta on
  • HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    Since our scarves are hand-made, typically by one person each time, it would be really hard to get challenger scarves as well. Plus we'd get into the murky business of selling unlicensed merchandise at a convention where the Pokemon Company licensing director is in attendance... Penny Arcade does sell official PAX East scarves, though... :)

Heleor wrote:
    Since our scarves are hand-made, typically by one person each time, it would be really hard to get challenger scarves as well. Plus we'd get into the murky business of selling unlicensed merchandise at a convention where the Pokemon Company licensing director is in attendance... Penny Arcade does sell official PAX East scarves, though... :)

Yeah, grab a PAX East scarf and pin your badges to that! Lanyard works pretty well too.

Also, a giant badge button probably won't be necessary, since you'll be able to identify us by our costumes.

Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
    edited January 2012
    LOL I know, just impulsive idea making.

In other news, I finally caught a freaking Dragon type. Note to self: even Dragon types can be KO'd by a Pokemon 20 levels stronger.

*a few minutes later...*

THE FRIG!?!?? I just beat the last gym leader with only two pokemon over his level? HUH?

feitocomfruta on
  • GIJoe68GIJoe68 Oceanus of the PAX Pokemon League Sevii IslandsRegistered User regular
    LOL I know, just impulsive idea making.

In other news, I finally caught a freaking Dragon type. Note to self: even Dragon types can be KO'd by a Pokemon 20 levels stronger.

*a few minutes later...*

THE FRIG!?!?? I just beat the last gym leader with only two pokemon over his level? HUH?

What dragon did you get?!?

• RegimentRegiment Registered User regular
    It's looking like the hard part is going to be picking from the box full of Pokemon. Then I have to give the rest of them witty nicknames. I wonder if the first Gym Leader I battle would be okay with me trading Regiment and getting him to evolve. (Yes, I have a Pokemon named Regiment.)

How many Pokemon will be used? Will the battles be 3-on-3 or 6-on-6?

I never lose, I just win sideways.
    Different leaders will have different rules for battle, and we are going to have optional challenges with even crazier rules!

Typically, most leaders will be 6v6, however.

GIJoe68 wrote:
    What dragon did you get?!?

Druddigon. Got him in Dragonspiral tower to boot.

After I named him, I realized I really wanted to name him "DAGRON!", but then when I saw that my character summons him by name in the form of "Go! Rawr!", I felt better.

Currently gone a bit of the way through Victory Road, but I'm trying to get Tornadus before then as well.

• GamesharkGameshark Watch how I soar Registered User regular
    The major differences between Black and White.

The scarfs stand out like a sore thumb. You go through a weird process where you don't see any for awhile, then you're suddenly zerg rushed by a ton of gym leaders. My scarf is also covered with a million different buttons. Any I get--not even Pokemon related--are put on it. The dream is to have one giant button scarf. (Is a cool kid.)

An important distinction: If you see someone walking around with a scarf and 4 black slashes it means they're super cool Elite 4... Which reminds me, I need to get that. Do I need to make those? I don't pay attention to anything apparently.

Also, listen for the sounds of agony and crushed trainer dreams to find me. I'm even planning on skipping hockey practice so I can actually stay for the Champion showcase Sunday night. Should be a grand ole time.
    Heleor wrote:
    Different leaders will have different rules for battle, and we are going to have optional challenges with even crazier rules!

Typically, most leaders will be 6v6, however.
    Most. :)

• MoociferMoocifer Artsy Broad Registered User regular
    Oh man, I'm so rusty. Time to prepare. I must get a badge! :X

PAX East 2014!!!1!one
    3 Day Pass: [x] // Travel: [ x] // Time Off: [ x] // Hotel: [x]
    Twitter: @amysophie
    Twitter: amysophie
    Gamertag/Steam: Vixen Valentine
  • ScunosiScunosi WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I put my badges on my DS case strap. It was kind of a pain to carry it around all 'con but at least it was actually meant to be easily toted and looked kind of cute. Looked sort of like , but with multicolored hearts and a longish shoulder strap that was perfect for my badges. Plus it was actually a good thing I had it as it had my charger, which trust me you will end up needing. I just left my DS in hibernate most of the day 'cuz you never knew who'd be around the corner or when you'd hit a long line.
    Speaking of chargers, it's nice they had those little handheld stations and all that, but they only had one type of charger or something. I can't remember what the issue was, I just remember I was quite lucky I had my personal charger with me. Kind of irritating all the different DS's can't share chargers. Maybe they only had ones for the DSi?

One little note. I'm sure most of the Elite Four are super tactical and great at battling, but getting smashed by just one Pokemon sort of left a bad taste in my mouth. I know they probably uber-train their guys so they actually are good enough that just one can wipe my whole team, but getting attack-spammed by just one 'mon makes for a boring fight, even if you are losing. I'm also sure they don't want to just hand those things out like candy since they give access to the Champion, but I don't know, something about it just didn't feel like real battling.
    I bet you could argue it was just my fault for not being good enough to counter whatever it was they were doing, and you'd probably be right. It just felt more like battling on a theoretical level than for real, like if you ran a bunch of simulations. "There are this many ways for you to lose."
    But maybe I'm just a sore loser. :P

Really not sure what sort of feedback you'll take away from that, if any, since it's just me ranting about people who're more powerful than me. I don't know, I guess it's just me wanting to think I could at least put up a fight instead of never having had a chance to begin with. I'm not saying just hand out badges for attempts, but maybe there's some way to not flaunt their power so much. I really have no idea.

Scunosi on
    Scunosi wrote:
    I bet you could argue it was just my fault for not being good enough to counter whatever it was they were doing, and you'd probably be right. It just felt more like battling on a theoretical level than for real, like if you ran a bunch of simulations. "There are this many ways for you to lose."
    But maybe I'm just a sore loser. :P

Really not sure what sort of feedback you'll take away from that, if any, since it's just me ranting about people who're more powerful than me. I don't know, I guess it's just me wanting to think I could at least put up a fight instead of never having had a chance to begin with. I'm not saying just hand out badges for attempts, but maybe there's some way to not flaunt their power so much. I really have no idea.

Don't worry, we've heard this complaint before. We're trying some different things this year to mix up the balance a bit. We've got a difficult task, because challengers to the PAX Pokemon League come at all different skill levels, and we want the league to be challenging for everyone (including serious business battlers), but not seem crushing or discouraging to anyone. I'm aiming to announce something this weekend that will help with that. Give things a try again this year, hopefully your experience will be different.

• JoveJove Registered User regular
    I don't care how badly I get crushed, the real struggle for me is being able to find all of you leaders lol.

Also I just checked the covers for black and white (and the differences). I like Black more mostly due to Black City (I'm a city guy) and black is always a cool color. But I was disspointed how much cooler looking the Pokemon on the cover for White is. The Pokemon on the cover for black looks ok but he's got no arms :(. Again, I'm only talking about cosmetics here, not on which one is more powerful. I just find the one for white look great :(.

Haha, don't worry, they both have arms. Though I do think Reshiram is the cooler-looking one. Reshiram is the white one, right? I'm so bad with Legendaries, I catch them for my collection of course but I don't wanna be "that guy" who just uses Legendaries (not that you even can in a tournament but even against the NPCs) so I typically only use them when I have to, which is next to never.
    A word on Black City though. If you have a lot of friends (as in nearby ones) who play, go ahead and jump in. If you don't really have anyone around who can play with you though, you'll find Black City to just be a big empty lot. The whole point of both the exclusive zones is to grow through the Entralink or something, I could never get it to work much the few times I tried. Granted you'll likely be able to grow it up a little at PAX, but when you're typically on your own you may end up envious of the Forest, which I've heard actually has things you can do without being fully developed. My Black City only has a few stumpy buildings right now, not even any people. =/

• Tribute55Tribute55 Registered User new member
    This sounds amazing and I can not wait to compete. Now, to buy the game and get to the training of an elite team!

Well just got black today. I really like it so far. I'm going for my 3rd badge at the moment, but anybody know when ill find any of the original 150 Pokemon? Like...Snorlax for example :D.

• GIJoe68GIJoe68 Oceanus of the PAX Pokemon League Sevii IslandsRegistered User regular
    Jove wrote:
    Well just got black today. I really like it so far. I'm going for my 3rd badge at the moment, but anybody know when ill find any of the original 150 Pokemon? Like...Snorlax for example :D.

There's a few available after you beat the storyline, but for almost all of them you have to transfer them over after I think you get the National Dex

One of the reasons I love gen V. It reminds me of Red version when I first got it.

Yeah it was kind of odd playing through for the first time since there are no older Pokemon in-game 'til you beat the Elite Four. Which compared to past titles is just kind of weird, not even any new pre-evolutions (prevolutions?) or anything. Gives you a better chance at learning the new ones at least though; I'll admit this new generation I'm still pretty bad with their names, while I used to be able to rattle off pretty much any of the past ones.
    One gripe I had about transfers in this one was that you couldn't just self-transfer like in Diamond and Pearl by putting an Advance game in the second slot. Doesn't Nintendo know I have no friends who can trade me? =/

GIJoe68 wrote:
    Jove wrote:

There's a few available after you beat the storyline, but for almost all of them you have to transfer them over after I think you get the National Dex

National Dex? What's that?

Jove wrote:
    GIJoe68 wrote:
    Jove wrote:

National Dex? What's that?

Check it out here http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/National_Pokédex :D

Scunosi wrote:
    Yeah it was kind of odd playing through for the first time since there are no older Pokemon in-game 'til you beat the Elite Four. Which compared to past titles is just kind of weird, not even any new pre-evolutions (prevolutions?) or anything. Gives you a better chance at learning the new ones at least though; I'll admit this new generation I'm still pretty bad with their names, while I used to be able to rattle off pretty much any of the past ones.
    One gripe I had about transfers in this one was that you couldn't just self-transfer like in Diamond and Pearl by putting an Advance game in the second slot. Doesn't Nintendo know I have no friends who can trade me? =/

I thought that was one of the reasons Black and White felt so fresh. I remember not really liking Pearl, and I've recently gone back into it because I need some pokemon from it (>.>) and while I've identified several other reasons why I think I disliked it (the city design is TERRIBLE, extremely annoying, not intuitive. I end up running into walls constantly, whoever is city planner in Sinnoh needs to be shot) I still think the mix of new and old pokemon was part of the reason. It's overwhelming, and trying to figure out what you can get and what you can't is impossible without an external guide (the subset of old pokemon available is completely arbitrary). With Black and White, you were forced to get acquainted with these new Pokemon... and I know I grew to love them and know them almost as well as the original 150, which is not something that has happened in previous gens.

• LuptoniumLuptonium Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    My wife spotted this thread, she had a question as to if the battles were themed based on the original Pokemon masters or if it's master picked for real teams.

Either way she's gonna be challenging.

Luptonium on
    Our leaders are (mostly) original characters, but they'll have full teams they've designed themselves. Typically 6 Pokemon that all fit their type. Some will be more competitive than others.

edited January 2012
    I've hinted at it in my last few posts, but we're finally ready to announce it!

You all know PPL '12's theme is Rivals, but this year... you're going to be fighting off your VERY OWN RIVAL!

Check out all the info on Rival Cards!

i5otz.png

http://paxpokemonleague.net/2012/01/introducing-rival-cards/

If you have any questions, you can ask them here!

Propriety on
    That's really cool! I can't wait to try it out!

• xenardxenard Registered User regular
    OMG I love it!!!

steam_sig.png
    3DS Friend Code: 2449-5711-0640
    Also note that we're going to be trying to match people based on their perceived skill level... so we'll give you a card that will match you up with a Rival that's not going to just crush you, and the recommended leaders will hopefully be around your skill level too!

And for those who noticed on this morning's Rival Card announcement... we're ready to reveal a new leader: Leaf, the Charming Trickster (a.k.a Blue, from the Pokemon Manga)! http://paxpokemonleague.net/2012/01/leader-leaf-the-charming-trickster/

As played by our very own @cocowoushi! Let me tell you, I know from experience: Coco's a master battler, and as Leaf? Well, prepare your boots for significant quaking.

• cocowoushicocowoushi Registered User regular
    Propriety wrote:
    Let me tell you, I know from experience: Coco's a master battler, and as Leaf? Well, prepare your boots for significant quaking.

Oh goodness, well now I'll have to be sure not to disappoint. ;D

• ChimneyImpChimneyImp Shifty Eyes BostonRegistered User regular
    This sounds excellent, and I hope to meet all of you in battle come PAX.

As for Gym Leaders having times when they don't accept challengers, do they take off their scarfs when that's so? It seems like it would be an easy way to tell if a Gym Leader is in a battling mood or not.

Z04due2.png
    ChimneyImp wrote:

As for Gym Leaders having times when they don't accept challengers, do they take off their scarfs when that's so? It seems like it would be an easy way to tell if a Gym Leader is in a battling mood or not.
    In my experience they generally always had them on, so even if they weren't battling they could still give you useful info like when they'd be up for it again, when the next meet-up would be, and where to find other people. Unless they're in a really grumpy mood or something, most of the ones who didn't want to battle are most likely just wanting to demo something or you know, eat.

• VolaroVolaro The Iron Gentleman Registered User regular
    Massively excited about the Pokemon League this year. Only got three badges at East in 2011, gotta make sure to resolve that with an even stronger team! Looking forward to meeting my rival too.

Scunosi wrote:
    ChimneyImp wrote:

In my experience they generally always had them on, so even if they weren't battling they could still give you useful info like when they'd be up for it again, when the next meet-up would be, and where to find other people. Unless they're in a really grumpy mood or something, most of the ones who didn't want to battle are most likely just wanting to demo something or you know, eat.

Exactly. In the past people have just kept them on. I think that's mostly due to the fact that we forget we're wearing them, haha. We're always filled with useful information, and a leader can always let you know if they'll be available later, or where you might find other leaders (we've got the inside scoop!) or whatever. I think we'll make a better effort this year to take off the scarves if we're going to be unavailable for a long period or we have something else to do (panels to go to, or we need to eat), but it's usually a rare occurrence.
    Volaro wrote:
    Massively excited about the Pokemon League this year. Only got three badges at East in 2011, gotta make sure to resolve that with an even stronger team! Looking forward to meeting my rival too.

Hooray! A repeat challenger! I hope you walk away with more badges this year!

• VolaroVolaro The Iron Gentleman Registered User regular
    Propriety wrote:

I remember you from last year! You were my first battle, think it was near the Portal 2 booth. I hope to battle you again this time around, even if you aren't a leader.

• BiteraBitera Registered User new member
    So excited for this. Well, for all of PAX really, but this will definitely be a highlight, if I'm not too mesmerized by the lights and action of the rest of the show. Also, the rival system sounds like a great idea, especially for someone like me who's not especially serious about competitive battling with that recommended gym leaders and such.

-Ein Bitera
    Volaro wrote:
    Propriety wrote:

I remember you from last year! You were my first battle, think it was near the Portal 2 booth. I hope to battle you again this time around, even if you aren't a leader.

Propriety is not only a leader, but one of the people organizing it this year! :D

I'm glad people are getting excited for the Rival system. It's something we're still finalizing the rules on, but we all hope it's enjoyable!

Volaro wrote:
    Propriety wrote:

You bet your britches I'm a leader, and I remember you! Mainly because that line was UNBELIEVABLY LONG. (Totally worth it for that aperture science shirt.) I look forward to seeing you again! Looking forward to your challenge!