As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video Game Industry Thread: December's done, time for the next one

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I think the fact that it didn't occur to them that releasing the game with different prices just might piss people off is pretty fitting considering these are the same people who released a game that's getting the worst reviews I've read in the past year or so and still think the game is worth more money.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote:
    I think the fact that it didn't occur to them that releasing the game with different prices just might piss people off is pretty fitting considering these are the same people who released a game that's getting the worst reviews I've read in the past year or so and still think the game is worth more money.

Literally been happening over here for years.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    sir_pinch-a-loafsir_pinch-a-loaf #YODORegistered User regular
    They eventually fixed the price for PSN to match XBLA: http://www.joystiq.com/2012/01/09/price-fixing-psn-amy-to-launch-jan-17-for-10-in-north-america/
    The PSN version of Amy will hit North America on Jan. 17 for $9.99, the same day and price as the XBLA version. After previously announcing the PSN price to be $3 more than the XBLA price, Developer Lexis Numerique asked the US audience through a Facebook poll if it wanted a cheaper game, but one week later. It turns out Americans are more patient than we thought, but just as frugal.

Now it's official -- Amy will launch in Europe on Jan. 11 for €9.9 (£7.99, 800 MS Points) on PSN and XBLA, and on Jan. 17 for $10 (800 MS Points) in North America on both consoles.

• Options
    I've said it other places, but I firmly believe that at the moment the big TV/movie providers are acting just like the music industry did a decade ago, namely being inane jackholes who would rather annoy the customer and charge too much than to figure out how to effectively use emerging new forms of media consumption.

At any rate, because of that you can forget about a TV service on your 360.
    Microsoft Corp has put its talks with media companies about an online subscription service for TV shows and movies on hold, according to people familiar with the discussions.

The technology giant had been in intense talks with potential programming partners for over a year and was hoping to roll out the service in the next few months. But it pulled back after deciding that the licensing costs were too high for the business model Microsoft envisaged, according to these people.

"They built Microsoft TV, they demoed it for us, they asked for rate cards but then said 'ooh ah, that's expensive,'" said one senior media executive who had been involved in the talks.

A representative for Microsoft declined to comment.

Early versions of Microsoft's TV service included a range of advanced features such as being able to change channels with voice and motion control.

Similar to Netflix Inc, Microsoft's service also would have allowed users the option of paying a monthly fee for a package of programming from someone other than a local cable or satellite TV company. But unlike Netflix, Microsoft had hoped to offer current shows and live networks on its service, which made it a much higher cost proposition.

Microsoft is still working closely with the TV business to distribute shows over the Web, but rather than playing a role in helping consumers replace their cable TV packages it is focusing on delivering programming via its Xbox gaming system to existing cable subscribers.

At the Consumer Electronics Show this week, for example, Microsoft and News Corp announced a partnership that will allow Fox Broadcast, Fox News, IGN and The Wall Street Journal to offer apps on its Xbox Live service.

Media company sources also said that even though talks with Microsoft had cooled off they held out some hope that the tech company would come back to the negotiating table.

"It doesn't mean they won't be back in another iteration. We'll have to wait and see," said the senior media executive.

Even as Microsoft pulls back from its original ambitions, Google Inc, Amazon.com and others have continued with a push to unravel the $100 billion U.S. cable television ecosystem dominated by major distributors such as Comcast Corp and DirecTV Group and program makers like Walt Disney Co and Time Warner Inc.

The Web TV newcomers are all chasing Netflix, whose online video and DVD subscription service has grown to more than 23 million users in the United States and this week debuted in Britain.

Netflix's success has left the cable industry conflicted. While program makers welcome the big checks that online video partners offer, they also fear that in the long run cheaper online video services will cannibalize the cable TV subscriptions that generate the vast majority of their revenue and profits.

To avoid that outcome, programmers, under extra pressure from their cable and satellite TV distribution partners, have asked for costly, long-term commitments from potential online partners who want newer TV shows and movies.

The distributors are also cutting Web TV deals of their own with the program makers. The best recent example is the 10-year programming agreement between Comcast and Disney, a deal that will eventually offer a vast amount of Disney's cable shows online for the first time to paying Comcast TV subscribers.

"This is an expensive business," a second media executive with knowledge of the situation said, referring to the cost of producing top quality TV shows and movies.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/11/us-microsoft-video-idUSTRE80A1KL20120111

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Netflix's success has left the cable industry conflicted. While program makers welcome the big checks that online video partners offer, they also fear that in the long run cheaper online video services will cannibalize the cable TV subscriptions that generate the vast majority of their revenue and profits.

To avoid that outcome, programmers, under extra pressure from their cable and satellite TV distribution partners, have asked for costly, long-term commitments from potential online partners who want newer TV shows and movies.
    Cable industry-fighting the inevitable, one medium at a time.

• Options
    Couscous wrote:

Like I said, remember when the music industry fought the Internet tooth and nail?

• Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Well, is the cable industry not doing so well right now?

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Now I'm confused. Amy came out last week, where are these people getting Jan 17? Is there a version of that game coming out tomorrow that isn't stupid?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Hell. They still do. They're just quieter about it.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote:
    Couscous wrote:

Like I said, remember when the music industry fought the Internet tooth and nail?

They cannot stop us. They cannot stop the future.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    But damn it if they aren't going to keep trying.

That being said what will more than likely end up happening is them getting into a streaming business of their own so they can overcharge us and throw in commercials and shit.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    you mean hulu?

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Hulu is priced pretty well.

I'm sure once cable companies get in on it they're going to try to charge you 2-3 times more.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Dragkonias wrote:
    Hulu is priced pretty well.

I'm sure once cable companies get in on it they're going to try to charge you 2-3 times more.

Then again, Hulu used to be free and had a much better selection.

• Options
    Well. I think that has to be for the same reason Netflix is having the trouble it is.

People found out these things could actually make money.

• Options
    and i pay them to deliver only a selection of their content to my consoles... when if it had a browser i could watch all of it... for free

• Options
    Then use your browser and watch it for free.

>_>...

• Options
    Dragkonias wrote:
    Well. I think that has to be for the same reason Netflix is having the trouble it is.

People found out these things could actually make money.

Actually the reason is that Hulu was started as an experiment by Disney and Fox, but became far, far more popular than they were comfortable with given the prevailing studio mindset (i.e. "KILL THE INTERNET WITH FIRE"). At the same time it was too popular to kill outright. So instead they decided to make it suck with delayed content, removed content, the inability to use Hulu on any device that isn't a PC, subscription requirements, etc.

• Options
    Dragkonias wrote:

>_>...

i would but see i have a very tiny computer and very big TV. one is meant for TV shows... don't get me wrong, i don't mind paying for hulu NOW, but if they keep adding restrictions/ removing content, i won't be a customer for much longer.

• Options
    It would be nice if Hulu would allow some scheme where you could actually watch it on your TV, but that's a form of media consumption that has existed for less than three decades so therefore it must be destroyed.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Dragkonias wrote:

>_>...

i would but see i have a very tiny computer and very big TV. one is meant for TV shows... don't get me wrong, i don't mind paying for hulu NOW, but if they keep adding restrictions/ removing content, i won't be a customer for much longer.

...Umm.

Okay.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Hulu used to be amazing and now the companies that brought it into being only give it token support.

Netflix is now the best streaming tv service by a mile and a half. I don't care that their movie selection is somewhere between mediocre and terrible.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Yeah. Their TV selection is getting better but they haven't had a good clump of notable movie additions in a while.

Most of the time I just go to the official site and try to find some obscure movie I haven't seen before.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I like how Just Dance 3 is the number one game for the Wii, Kinect, and Move for the December NPDs. The Old Republic sold slightly over 600k in December.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Who wants to be a Jedi when you can wiggle waggle to "Dancing Queen"?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    Pier Solar, the Sega Genesis indie RPG released last year, apparently sold well enough that they just reprinted a new run of the game (the game has been sold out for months and was fetching high prices on ebay).

http://www.magicalgamefactory.com/en/shop/

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    THE MEGADRIVE.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Sega...Genesis?

• Options
    Sega Genesis?

As in 1989's Sega Genesis...? Wow.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Yes, an indie developer actually made a game for the Sega Genesis. $50 gets you the 64-meg game cart for the RPG along with a clamshell box, manual, poster, and stickers. $25 gets you a 4 CD soundtrack and one of the CDs can actually be used in a Sega CD while playing the game on the cart to change the music from chiptunes into CD quality stuff.

Haven't actually played the game yet (something I plan to fix soon) but the screenshots give off a very Lunar feel.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    Well that's a risky move..

"Hey guys! I know what we should do. Let's make a Sega Genesis RPG!"

"...Do it"

Nice to hear that its paying off for them though :^:

• Options
    I'm surprised people still own Genesis'

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Yes, an indie developer actually made a game for the Sega Genesis. $50 gets you the 64-meg game cart for the RPG along with a clamshell box, manual, poster, and stickers. $25 gets you a 4 CD soundtrack and one of the CDs can actually be used in a Sega CD while playing the game on the cart to change the music from chiptunes into CD quality stuff.

Haven't actually played the game yet (something I plan to fix soon) but the screenshots give off a very Lunar feel.

I didn't know that was even possible...for a cart to use CD audio.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Near as I can understand a dedicated clump of crazy bastards do that for all the old systems that were at least semi-popular. Atari 2600, NES, Dreamcast, you name it.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote:
    It would be nice if Hulu would allow some scheme where you could actually watch it on your TV, but that's a form of media consumption that has existed for less than three decades so therefore it must be destroyed.

Wait what? Doesn't the XBox (or PS3, I forget which) allow for that?

• Options
    Henroid wrote:
    cloudeagle wrote:

Yes, but only if the stars align correctly. On the Xbox, you need to have an Xbox Gold membership, a Hulu Plus membership, and it only works with some Hulu shows (i.e. none of the ones you actually want to watch on your TV).

• Options
    Pier Solar, the Sega Genesis indie RPG released last year, apparently sold well enough that they just reprinted a new run of the game (the game has been sold out for months and was fetching high prices on ebay).

http://www.magicalgamefactory.com/en/shop/

"Sold well enough." I guess everyone who still maintains an operational Genesis bought it then?

• Options
    Henroid wrote:
    cloudeagle wrote:

Yes, but only if the stars align correctly. On the Xbox, you need to have an Xbox Gold membership, a Hulu Plus membership, and it only works with some Hulu shows (i.e. none of the ones you actually want to watch on your TV).

That's probably the one barrier that needs solving before the whole thing just explodes into being rad for people. The memberships required are probably gonna get looked over.

• Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Hah, people are great. (referring to the indie Sega RPG)

Lilnoobs on
  • Options
    http://indie-fund.com/2012/01/q-u-b-e-recoups-investment/
    Q.U.B.E. Recoups Investment Within 4 Days of Steam Release

We are happy to announce that Q.U.B.E., the first Indie Fund-ed game to market, took only 4 days on Steam to generate enough revenue for Toxic Games to repay the full investment amount of $90k. As previously promised, we aim to be as transparent as possible with all our investment work, so we’d like to provide everyone with a brief recap of how things unfolded in this case.

Toxic originally pitched Q.U.B.E. to us in late August of 2010 with an estimated budget of $42k. We approved the game for funding about 2 months later.

Back then we had a two stage approval system. We would first vote on whether to continue investigating the project, and then collected budget and schedule information for a final vote the following month. Since we only have one call per month, the approval process took too long. We’ve since changed this to a single vote system where we vote whether to fund a game on the first partner call after they were submitted. That means a typical turnaround time of up to a month instead of up to 2 months.

With other games we were funding, we found that sending a developer a check every month to cover their expenses wasn’t working very well. It was a headache for us, and monthly build-based payments felt too publisher-y, and somewhat disrespectful to the developer. In short, it felt icky, so with Q.U.B.E. we decided to take a different approach and pay 50% of the total investment amount up front, and the other 50% when the first half was close to running out.

We sent the team their first payment of $21k in October 2010, and the second half (also $21k) was sent in January 2011. At that point it became clear that the game would run over budget, and it did, so we decided to provide Toxic two more payments totaling $37.5k. We are very happy that we were able to fully fund the game, as it was important to us, and to Toxic’s future as independent developers, that the team shipped the best game they could.

In the short time that it’s been available on Steam, Q.U.B.E. has sold over 12,000 copies. As such, Indie Fund recouped its investment in Q.U.B.E., and now we’re looking forward to seeing what the future holds for Toxic Games. Our goal is to help developers get and stay independent and it will take some time to see if we’ve achieved it. With the investment already paid off and discussions in progress about bringing Q.U.B.E beyond PC, we’re feeling pretty hopeful.

Our heartfelt congratulations to Toxic Games. We’re proud to have played a small role in what has already been a great success.