As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EAST] PAX East Tabletop Freeplay Thread

• TraitoriousTraitorious Registered User regular
    adastra wrote:
    Drain wrote:
    Moe, can you add to your OP that if anyone is on Twitter and looking for a group during PAX (East or Prime) they can use the #ttlfg (table top looking for group) hashtag.

BTW, I really hope that this is more heavily utilized this year! I tried using the hashtag (both tweeting and watching for it), and never had any luck last year. It's such a powerful tool... if people are using it! I don't know if cell network issues were the biggest issue, or what.
    This will be my first East, but at my first Prime last year twitter was unusable for me inside the convention center. I'm sure that has a lot to do with it with the sheer number of people all concentrated in one area.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    East (at the BCEC) has had better cell networks than prime. Also the wifi wasnt totally unusable either.

• tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    last year I had no problem whatsoever with twitter, but didn't know about the #ttlfg hashtag. perhaps the word just needs to be spread a bit more. i'll definitely be watching it this year!

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • adastraadastra Registered User regular
    I had no problems with Twitter last year inside the BCEC, but I heard a lot of complaints from folks using the GSM networks. I remember watching #ttlfg for most of Saturday afternoon when we were kicking back in freeplay - none of my requests were answered, and pretty much no one else was posting. Yet I saw dozens of people checking out games.

We ended up camping out next to TTHQ and asking people if they wanted to game together, which worked out. But I wanted to harness the power of the internets!

• Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Khadour wrote:
    There is an incredibly slim chance, but a chance nonetheless, that I'll have a new (unpublished) system to playtest come PAX East. I can't give details yet, but would anyone be interested in playing a new and probably buggy system?
    Sure! In fact, we'd probably be up for testing it at game night either the week before or the Tuesday before, if you want to bring it . . .

Well, I won't be able to come to the meetups until May (I have a 6:00 pm to 10:00 pm class on Tuesdays :( ) BUT come summer I'll be able to come again! And then you can all be my delightful guinea pigs ho ho

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • SoCo_and_LimeSoCo_and_Lime Registered User regular
    I played Arkham Horror last year with a bunch of guys after hours. It took like 7 hours but once we got the hang of the game, probably around hour 2, it was a lot of fun.

I'd love to do that again this year if anyone is thinking about running a game, especially if you have the expansion.

[x] Bolt Bus
    [x] Radisson Hotel Boston
    [x] Pre-Pax Dinner
    [x] BYOC and 3 Day Pass

• nataliepinataliepi Rogue Astronomer PARegistered User regular
    I played Arkham Horror last year with a bunch of guys after hours. It took like 7 hours but once we got the hang of the game, probably around hour 2, it was a lot of fun.

I'd love to do that again this year if anyone is thinking about running a game, especially if you have the expansion.

I really REALLY want to learn how to play this game. I'm hoping to scout out the tables and see if anyone is running it this year.

PAX East 2013 Checklist: 3-Day PAX Badge [x] Hotel [x] Travel [x] Time Off [x]
    t: @nataliepi | fb: fb.com/hernandeznlh
  • CreamsteakCreamsteak Thrall Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    One of the one-shot con games I may run this year is an RPG in which the players play characters that are in turn playing characters inside an MMORPG. So-far my initial experiments have been totally awesome, but within the confines of a group I know well and that is open to bizarre ideas. If you've ever read "Ready Player One" you might see some resemblance, though the idea dates back to before I read the book.

The language I use at the moment is that a player (me or you) plays a proxy (the character within the far-off future setting where the economic ephemeralization has pushed them into lives of "farming gold") who in turn has a roster of characters to play.

It has a bit of a paranoia like mechanic in that when your characters get killed, they are permanently dead, but you can just "buy" a replacement off the character market at any given time. So sometimes the game just keeps rolling and rolling until you have a mountain of dead bards.

Creamsteak on
    edited January 2012
    nataliepi wrote:

I really REALLY want to learn how to play this game. I'm hoping to scout out the tables and see if anyone is running it this year.

There's a group of videos on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJrM7lwChaQ) that goes through the rules and a full round. It's a great introduction to the game and helped me a lot when I went to play.

SoCo_and_Lime on
    [x] Bolt Bus
    [x] Pre-Pax Dinner
    [x] BYOC and 3 Day Pass

• ButterySaltButterySalt Registered User regular
    I'm looking forward to trying to get into some games at TTFP this year - my wife and I had limited luck getting games together last year, but this year, we're bringing a couple more people, so hopefully we can have a core group that we can invite people into.

We're thinking about bringing a small whiteboard to let people know what we're playing and that we're looking for people. We'll probably bring Cards Against Humanity, a few flavors of Fluxx, Pandemic, and whatever else strikes us out of our library.

We'd also consider a pre-PAX games meetup at the Westin or Renaissance (where we're staying) for anyone who isn't going on the bar-crawl or related events.

• adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    We're thinking about bringing a small whiteboard to let people know what we're playing and that we're looking for people. We'll probably bring Cards Against Humanity, a few flavors of Fluxx, Pandemic, and whatever else strikes us out of our library.

My husband and I are always down for a game of Fluxx.

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular

My husband and I are always down for a game of Fluxx.

same goes for me and my bf. we'll totally keep an eye out for anyone looking to deal us in on some fluxx (and we'll have our own zombie and star fluxx as well).

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
    nataliepi wrote:

There's a group of videos on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJrM7lwChaQ) that goes through the rules and a full round. It's a great introduction to the game and helped me a lot when I went to play.

Danke! I will be looking into this! :)

• redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Does anyone ever bring like Magic/Yugioh/Pokemon to the tabletop area? Have you guys seen anyone playing? Just curious.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    redfield85 wrote:
    Does anyone ever bring like Magic/Yugioh/Pokemon to the tabletop area? Have you guys seen anyone playing? Just curious.

MtG has a huge presence at East and it shouldn't be hard to find a game in the tabletop area. Not sure about Yugioh or Pokemon on a large scale, but I've definitely seen people playing the Pokemon card game at PAX.

Since I keep seeing the same reoccurring questions, I just wanted to say this:

Bring every game you want to play. There is a 100% chance that someone else is playing that game too, and a 110% chance that there will be a group of people wanting to learn how to play.

The answer to all of these "Does anyone play..." and "Should I bring my..." questions is YES. You don't even need to ask. Bring everything.

Getting in on games is as simple as walking up to a table and saying "Hi". I met a bunch of great people last year who were more than willing to teach me Munchkin, Settlers of Catan, Arkham Horror, Poo, and about half a dozen more games.

Starting your own game is as easy as walking around with your box/deck saying "Anyone want to play ___?"

[x] Bolt Bus
    [x] Pre-Pax Dinner
    [x] BYOC and 3 Day Pass

• CaptainClangCaptainClang Flopper of Cards, Chucker of Dice, Painter of Minis, Clicker of Mice Near the place where it's always sunnyRegistered User new member

Bring every game you want to play. There is a 100% chance that someone else is playing that game too, and a 110% chance that there will be a group of people wanting to learn how to play.

The answer to all of these "Does anyone play..." and "Should I bring my..." questions is YES. You don't even need to ask. Bring everything.

Getting in on games is as simple as walking up to a table and saying "Hi". I met a bunch of great people last year who were more than willing to teach me Munchkin, Settlers of Catan, Arkham Horror, Poo, and about half a dozen more games.

Starting your own game is as easy as walking around with your box/deck saying "Anyone want to play ___?"

Very well. I shall rephrase. Anyone who plays the Warhammer: Invasion living card game should bring some decks. I love that game, and don't get to play it nearly often enough.

"It's quite simple to deal with a banana fiend. First, you force him to drop the banana. Then, you eat the banana, thus disarming him. You have now rendered him helpless."

-some British comedy troupe
  • KiashienKiashien Medford, MARegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Hi all,

I will be running a one-shot of shadowrun 4th edition at Pax east. I have one signup already, and can handle 4 more.

It will likely be mid-day Sat, preferably over before the start of the concert for those who want to attend it, but will depend somewhat on whether anything super-huge overlaps- in that case, it'll probably shift to sunday.

I've got one signup, and if anyone else is interested, I can handle 4 more at this time. These will be premade characters, and newcomers to the game are welcome- I simply won't allow someone with no experience at all to be a mage or a technomancer, since it's a bit of a headache to explain on the fly, while basically anything else is very simple for a newcomer to grasp.

I plan to have 6-8 characters available to choose from.

Those of you on G+ who already saw my post, you probably know who you are that already signed up :)

If anyone else is considering running a game, feel free to post that in this thread as well- It's mostly just to get the discussion started and things sorted somewhat. I'd certainly love to play in a game as well as run one.

~Kiashien

Kiashien on
    The pirate hat riding bobcat compels you...

Relevant info: #PAX East: 3 Coin Lunch organizer. 2012 Trading card available. Pokecrawl Assistant 2012. Pokecrawl attendee 2011. Cult of the Leaf attendee 2012.
    edited January 2012
    Make that 2 slots taken, 3 open.

Kiashien on

Relevant info: #PAX East: 3 Coin Lunch organizer. 2012 Trading card available. Pokecrawl Assistant 2012. Pokecrawl attendee 2011. Cult of the Leaf attendee 2012.
    Kiashien wrote:

I'd be interested in playing. Although, I have zero experience with the game. :-D

• JerYnkFanJerYnkFan Registered User regular
    nataliepi wrote:
    Kiashien wrote:

I'd be interested in playing. Although, I have zero experience with the game. :-D

Same Here

• XiylaXiyla Registered User new member
    If people are really interested, I can run a few one shots of Paranoia, Rifts, Lady Blackbird, and/or World of Darkness Thursday or late in the evenings during the weekend.

• Certain.shade.of.greenCertain.shade.of.green Registered User regular
    I live in the Boston area and can bring with enough interest:

Mansions of Madness (Expansions included)
    Arkham Horror (All expansions)

I can also teach either of these games. I have quite a bit of other games (Yomi, Summoner Wars, etc). Let me know!

I know I just went against what you are saying, but one "does not simply" bring Arkham and it's expansions. That is an infrastructure investment.

I can also teach either of these games. I have quite a bit of other games (Yomi, Summoner Wars, etc). Let me know!

I'd be interested in Arkham Horror. I've been wanting to learn how to play that game since last PAX. :)

Parked various forum handles and google+ circle links to a google doc. When it gets closer / when the schedule is posted, I'll revisit it, but I definitely have enough to run teh Shadowrun now ;)

For those with no experience... The only dice needed are d6, and I'll bring at least one block of them. I'll probably be able to borrow a second block from my group, which should be a total of plenty. :)

edited January 2012
    nataliepi wrote:

I'd be interested in Arkham Horror. I've been wanting to learn how to play that game since last PAX. :)

I'm a newbie that would be interested as well.

JerYnkFan on
    Kiashien wrote:
    Parked various forum handles and google+ circle links to a google doc. When it gets closer / when the schedule is posted, I'll revisit it, but I definitely have enough to run teh Shadowrun now ;)

For those with no experience... The only dice needed are d6, and I'll bring at least one block of them. I'll probably be able to borrow a second block from my group, which should be a total of plenty. :)

Cool...I'll pick some up and I'll try and pick up a rulebook soon as well so I at least vaguely know what the heck I am doing.

• zombiechronzombiechron Zebesian Mind Smuggler Miskatonic UniveristyRegistered User regular
    I really want to try Arkham Horror. It seems like it might be time-consuming to learn but fuck it, Lovecraftian terrors eclipse other interests

ZILTOID
  • YodaEXEYodaEXE IllinoisRegistered User new member
    I've been interested in Arkham Horror for a while now. I'd definitely be up for learning how to play and getting in on a game, and I'm fairly certain my friend that is going with me would be interested as well.

• LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    We actually got a new game called Elder Sign that is supposed to be kinda like Arkham Horror LT. Haven't played it yet, but it sounds like a likely suspect to bring with. When I tried to play Arkham Horror, the hours of researching rules, debate and unsure play really detracted from the experience of playing it. It pains me to say it, but I found AH to be complicated to the point of being boring.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    We actually got a new game called Elder Sign that is supposed to be kinda like Arkham Horror LT. Haven't played it yet, but it sounds like a likely suspect to bring with. When I tried to play Arkham Horror, the hours of researching rules, debate and unsure play really detracted from the experience of playing it. It pains me to say it, but I found AH to be complicated to the point of being boring.

Elder Signs is fun, it's like Cthulhu Yatzee! Just look up better rules on BGG because the ones in the box make it waaay more complicated than it is.

Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
    edited January 2012
    Alright Guys, send a PM and we can get the ball rolling on the Arkham games. I will make a base game that includes some mechanics that I feel simply improve upon the game and do not detract (Dunwich Horror- Trauma Cards) and things of that nature.

I am staying at the Omni parker house but if someone has the space we can get it going closer to the con for ease of access for everyone.

One last note: typically the limit is 6 players but if there are couples etc I can change a few rules up and accommodate everyone, or set up parallel games.

*Edit* I am excited to host the game and as such I have a special surprise for all that wish to play! If you don't want it spoiled it will be a custom ancient one to fight against! Pic is here for anyone who wishes to see:

http://i.imgur.com/UhQ84.jpg

Certain.shade.of.green on

If you like join in on the game I'm setting up and I'll be more than happy to get the rules going for everyone. I spent a lot of time in the same boat trying to determine exactly what the order was for everything.

So wait...you move to the portal...fight the monster...THEN get pulled in? Or do I get pulled into the portal first? Well LexiconGrrl I have the answer to this and more!

• slamonellaslamonella Clue-by-Four Boston, MARegistered User regular
    I'm staying at the Westin and will likely spend the majority of the weekend in the tabletop area and would be up for anything.

Some people are like Slinkies. They have no practical use whatsoever,
    but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
    edited January 2012
    Hey all,

Since many people have been talking about picking up a Shadowrun edition, please PLEASE PLEASE pick up this:

http://www.amazon.com/Shadowrun-20th-Anniversary-Catalyst-Game/dp/1934857319
    (I'm not an affiliate- it's just a normal link)

The reason is that they greatly upgraded the index and the raw linkage between topics- the old Shadowrun book, while cheaper, does not EVER link back to any thing, and says everything exactly once. It's much harder to reference, on the fly- and really, as a gamer, that's what you want.

Plus, the anniversary one has an index of all the extra books too.

I won't turn you away if you have the old book, I'm just saying if you're going to buy one, buy that one- I have both, and it's a night and day difference.

As a side note, I'm down to one free slot, and I'd hope for at least one Standby, in case of worst scenario and all that. Either way, the game is going to run- I just might have to be an extra-inventive DM at the moment.

~Kia

Kiashien on

• LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    Chorazin wrote:
    Elder Signs is fun, it's like Cthulhu Yatzee! Just look up better rules on BGG because the ones in the box make it waaay more complicated than it is.

Will do, thanks for the tip!

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • GooseyGooseGooseyGoose Registered User regular
    I just bought the complete Yomi set and I love it. I'll be bringing it and I hope to play some games.

I just bought the complete Yomi set and I love it. I'll be bringing it and I hope to play some games.

I freaking love my Yomi set, hit me up and maybe we can get a few rounds in.

So a request for other Shadowrun GMs out there.. I've had an absolutely incredible response from the number of new Shadowrun players that would like to experience the game, but have no experience with it. If any other Shadowrun GM would like to run a game for new players, I'm SURE you will have players. It's amazing how much interest there is in it, but it seems us 'runner GMs are a rare breed...

I'm not sure I could handle running it twice during PAX, so if anyone else would want to put one together... ;)

~Kia