As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dungeon Defenders] - Dungeon Defenders II: The Dungeoning coming soon! Free-to-play!

• Croc_ClockCroc_Clock Registered User regular
    So let's talk end game progression. I now have a 71 Apprentice and 70 Monk. So I think I can start doing cool stuff and gearing up.

I tried to do Insane Glitter and died more or less first wave. I think I could do better, but I just don't know where to place towers or auras first wave to prevent stuff from all going down. I think after first round, I could handle it better. I really wish I could do insane without time restrictions :(

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    So, this is on sale on Xbox live I guess? I downloaded it on my phone but never bothered to actually play it, because phone games are for pooping, and this is more involved. Is there a consensus of opinions on whether the xbox version is superior/inferior to PC?

What is this I don't even.
  • chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Massively inferior. PC version or bust.

steam_sig.png
  • EnderEnder Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Croc_Clock wrote:
    So let's talk end game progression. I now have a 71 Apprentice and 70 Monk. So I think I can start doing cool stuff and gearing up.

I tried to do Insane Glitter and died more or less first wave. I think I could do better, but I just don't know where to place towers or auras first wave to prevent stuff from all going down. I think after first round, I could handle it better. I really wish I could do insane without time restrictions :(

With the app/monk combo, you want to build 5 chokepoints. One each at the end of the 3 passageways, one on either side of the main platform.

Learn the ensnare/elec/str drain combo. It's what monks do. Build one at every choke point.

With the monk's elec aura, you can happily build fireball towers instead of lightning, they're more DU efficient anyways. Put up some barriers to slow ogres, and build 2 or 3 fireball towers at every chokepoint (you can't build 3 at each, 2 of them get 2 only).

For the bridge crystal, build 2 MM towers to defend against wyverns. On the other wyvern crystal, build 4.

Other than that, it's all stats. I'd recommend running the app instead of the monk during rounds, otherwise the ogres stand a good chance of tearing down your barriers quickly.

For the first round, put up all barriers and one fireball tower at each choke. Also, build all 6 MM towers. Then, switch to the monk to build the auras at all checkpoints. After that, build up the rest of the fireball towers. After that, it's just repairing.

Oh, almost forgot: I can't remember which direction it is, but one of the passages goes into a cave. You want to build one MM tower facing towards the main platform. Sometimes, a random goblin will wander up that direction, and beat up the crystal. Other than that, it needs no defense, everything else goes toward the main platform.

The other important thing to remember with app towers - do NOT build your fireball towers too close to the barriers. Ogres have a surprising reach with their melee, and can hit your towers while attacking your barriers. Always leave a space between so your fireball towers aren't taking damage along with the barriers.

Ender on
  • BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    Also, a huge help for me is the Apprentice Pet (non-animus), buffing tower damage/effectiveness is pretty huge. Like doubleing your damage or making your slow a MONSTER. Like, it may take an entire minute for a ogre to go through his death animation if its buffed.

Also, it can make your lightning aura go from 600-700 damage a tick to 2k a tick. Yea. And Deadly strikers? big shiney numbers.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • EnderEnder Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'd use an app guardian if I A) had one, and B) weren't using a genie.

Genies make NM doable.

• SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    I joined the steam group and would like to defend some dungeons with dudes sometime soon.

Ender wrote:
    Yeah, I'd use an app guardian if I A) had one, and B) weren't using a genie.

Genies make NM doable.

True for NM. I was aiming for his Insane issues. Don't think the genie is as mandatory for insane. Helps in the first few rounds for sure.

steam_sig.png
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    I need to do survival insane again with Hahn or someone so I can get a couple more 70's :P

I've been trying to powerlevel swap some lower level characters with my squire and monk but man it's so slow compared to just leeching someone in survival. I went from 38-70 on my monk with Hahn by wave 14 or so.

Apprentice I can do myself really, as I "get" how to play him tower-style. Hunter, I can't seem to grasp what I'm supposed to be doing to try to solo much and I can't find a good weapon for the life of me. Granted he's only 35 or so but still.

I tried soloing no-towers on my monk on medium but just couldn't cut it. I'm starting to think most of the challenge maps aren't meant to be solo'd really without super gear or great difficulty, even at lower difficulty levels.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• VoroVoro Registered User regular
    Croc_Clock wrote:

I'd recommend the following video and the guide listed in its description:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=XG5PFwaErTM

The video works from a no gear perspective, so it should help. I never put much time in insane Glitterhelm though. I only ever completed it on Hard, as I just find insane too much of a chore even with Mythical gear.

XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
    Hm, shame that guide relies on App. I guess I should grind mine up to appropriate levels or something. Meh, I need some gear grinding for huntress, its the class I actually enjoy the most. Alas and weep and all that jazz.

steam_sig.png
  • BonepartBonepart Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote:
    So, this is on sale on Xbox live I guess? I downloaded it on my phone but never bothered to actually play it, because phone games are for pooping, and this is more involved. Is there a consensus of opinions on whether the xbox version is superior/inferior to PC?

I prefer it on PC, but since my Wife can't get it to work reliably on her laptop I picked it up for both of us on Live. We can actually play together now, and it works well enough.

XBL Gamertag: Ipori
  • NezerNezer Registered User regular
    Steam or Sexboxlive? I cannae decide.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Steam. Unless they added a driving section, maybe.

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    this game seems a little weird for a tower defense game, even a third-person-shooter tower defense hybrid.

monsters just go straight for the nearest tower and attack it most of the time. the towers don't take up much space and don't go into a grid-set space. so the typical tower defense strategies for lanes and mazing and etc., especially with how short the ranges are on the towers i've tried, doesn't seem to be relevant here.

i'm not having trouble winning but so far it seems kinda...i dunno, straightforward? you just pile all your towers on the places where enemies emerge, far enough away that they're not near the spawn point, and beat dudes up when they get through. what's the strategy you employ when things get harder?

• stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    do people play the regular side or the side without cheats? I just got the game and man is it addictive, i am interested in leveling whichever side people play.

stopgap on
    steam_sig.png
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    stopgap wrote:
    do people play the regular side or the side without cheats? I just got the game and man is it addictive, i am interested in leveling whichever side people play.
    Play both? When you are on Ranked, you can export all of your Ranked characters with a push of a button. Most people (except Darmak) play on Ranked, at least on the PC. If you ever want to play Open with your Ranked characters, you just push the "Export" button. I do this every time I log in, to keep my Open slots up to date.
    Nezer wrote:
    Steam or Sexboxlive? I cannae decide.
    The console versions are WAY behind in terms of content and patches. While you don't have the frequent patching problems which are on the PC version occasionally (they REALLY like to push out patches frequently on Steam... it's like TF2), you also don't have the same level of gear and stats. The PC is up to 120 cap on stat points with a theoretical limit of something like 2300 with gear. I can't really say what the consoles are at, currently, but they certainly don't have all of the PC features.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
    If I export a ranked char to open can that char go back to ranked?

edited January 2012
    SkutSkut wrote:
    If I export a ranked char to open can that char go back to ranked?
    No. Your character stays on the Ranked server, so essentially you are just making a copy to use in Open games at that snapshot moment.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
    this game seems a little weird for a tower defense game, even a third-person-shooter tower defense hybrid.

monsters just go straight for the nearest tower and attack it most of the time. the towers don't take up much space and don't go into a grid-set space. so the typical tower defense strategies for lanes and mazing and etc., especially with how short the ranges are on the towers i've tried, doesn't seem to be relevant here.

i'm not having trouble winning but so far it seems kinda...i dunno, straightforward? you just pile all your towers on the places where enemies emerge, far enough away that they're not near the spawn point, and beat dudes up when they get through. what's the strategy you employ when things get harder?
    Yeah, the strategy is pretty simple: Defend the chokepoints. In later levels, it's defend chokepoints, shoot down wyverns, and survive the Ogres. There's really no "mazing" involved in this tower defense game (not all TD games have mazing, though). It's more like a zombie horde mode where you put up barricades to slow down the zombies. Much of the strategy of the game in solo is dealing with the weaknesses of your towers (never place an attack tower close to a Magic Barricade in front of it, for example... unless you like having multiple towers blown up by kobolds and Ogres), and much of the strategy in multiplayer is exploiting the synergies between the various class towers (especially the Monk Auras). It's not a difficult game until you hit Insane (build phases on a timer) and Nightmare difficulty (Ogres on the first wave).

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    You forgot about the spiders. Those things know how to ruin a party.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • SchwhatSchwhat Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Is there a dungeon defenders website that has map strategies on placement (for survival) or one where I can design my own?
    How did you guys make the jump from insane to nightmare? I feel like I've been stuck on insane, because nightmare is so damn hard that I can't even beat the first campaign map.

Also do mythical weapons gain more dmg per upgrade level? I know godly weapons and under gain 20% current dmg per upgrade (but caps at 80dmg per upgrade). Same question about mythical armor; do they gain more than one stat bonus? I only know the 35% bonus to stats if you wear a set of mythical armor (stuff below mythical get only 25%)

Edit: Does playing with others increase the chance for rewards and drops to be better? Or does it not matter?

Schwhat on
  • stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    So I bought the dlc that lets you play nightmare, now I want to purchase the heroes pack... I have a problem don't I?

steam_sig.png
    Talith wrote:
    You forgot about the spiders. Those things know how to ruin a party.
    Spiders? You mean "Mana Batteries"? :D As long as you keep on your toes, they are a great source of mana while you run around with your genie, so you can easily ramp up to max DU on the first wave. Dealing with spiders is probably one of the easier things to do in Nightmare. Creating a setup that will delay mobs and ogres long enough to place enough towers on the first wave, though, that's a problem.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    And suddenly it literally rains spiders.

Play some survival. On some maps (in this case thr lab) there will be a portion of the stage near the end where they will drop literally hundreds of spiders back to back in an attempt to shut down your entire defense all at once. This immediately followed by ogres.

Wave 25 has something like 3000 spiders.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • ebotasticebotastic Going Gonzo In People's HeartsRegistered User regular
    stopgap wrote:
    So I bought the dlc that lets you play nightmare, now I want to purchase the heroes pack... I have a problem don't I?
    No. No problem.
    Schwhat wrote:
    Is there a dungeon defenders website that has map strategies on placement (for survival) or one where I can design my own?
    How did you guys make the jump from insane to nightmare? I feel like I've been stuck on insane, because nightmare is so damn hard that I can't even beat the first campaign map.
    Check out the tool linked in this thread.

Please, call me ebo.
    Powerleveled my Traptress a bit today, she's gone from not being able to solo easy to soloing Alchemy Labs on insane :)

I started to play this again due to getting another friend into it. Leveling a countess. When I have the spare time Ill probably abuse insane spooktacular or something with my huntress to powerlevel my app and monk, since I note a dire need of them in many situations.

Making a hero countess so I can just build towers with my other 3 and rock around jousting the crap out of things.

steam_sig.png
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    I'm not sure if I want my Ranger to be Champion level with 2nd in the buckshot ability, or 2nd in traps.... hmm.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
    edited January 2012
    Schwhat wrote:

You should by getting the 74 first, it makes it a tad easier (XP Buff, don't forget it!). You don't have to but it is recommended. That said, NM Endless Spires, cheese the first round or 2 and check the chests as priority. There may be great gear to be had. Another thing that may help, max your armor's Physical resistance, should help if you don't do it already.

I did the diff ramp with a friend so it made it more fun and easier. There is a good guide on the official forums that may help. PM me if you want me to dig it up, I don't have it on hand atm.
    Schwhat wrote:
    Also do mythical weapons gain more dmg per upgrade level? I know godly weapons and under gain 20% current dmg per upgrade (but caps at 80dmg per upgrade). Same question about mythical armor; do they gain more than one stat bonus? I only know the 35% bonus to stats if you wear a set of mythical armor (stuff below mythical get only 25%)
    AFAIK it's the same cap per upgrade (correct me if I'm wrong folks), but you can get weapons up to like 200+ upgrades. Currently mine is 108^s, base was like 350 on a Apprentice staff. It gets high fast.
    Schwhat wrote:
    Edit: Does playing with others increase the chance for rewards and drops to be better? Or does it not matter?

More mobs, more drops, perhaps yes? I think so but can't confirm.

Broncbuster on
    steam_sig.png
  • SqSq Registered User regular
    Schwhat wrote:
    To play Nightmare you have to have good enough gear, plain and simple. That means a matching set of mythical with decent enough stats to get your two main tower stats above 500. So level up to 74 (continually running insane glitter with 4 people makes it go fast) then go shop around at the player shops. You should be able to get a matching set of mythical armor for 3-8 million per piece (avoid shops that are charging 20-50 million per piece - most are wildly over-appraised). Once you have the gear you should be set!
    Schwhat wrote:
    Also do mythical weapons gain more dmg per upgrade level?
    Not that I've noticed. The benefit is they have a much higher upgrade cap (usually).
    Schwhat wrote:
    Cant' say. But even if it does not improve the item quality, you'll get so many more drops that you have a better chance of good ones AND you'll make more money from all the extra junk items to boot. Downside is you have to compete for those green drops...

It's a trade off, playing with more people increases the overall amount of items meaning more chances of finding gear one of you might want. Downside is at the end you divide the mana worth of items usually resulting in less net mana per person than a solo run would give.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
    I'd like to add: Take some boring out of those last 4 xp levels doing it with more people while in vent/voicechat.

I pretty much need a break after hitting 74 on one of my characters.

steam_sig.png
  • PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular
    I downloaded the demo, and finally completed the demo stage by myself, and had a blast doing it. I assume the game is that much more fun with other people, but how lively is the community for someone who is only 1 rung removed from total noob at this?

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
    Penumbra wrote:
    I downloaded the demo, and finally completed the demo stage by myself, and had a blast doing it. I assume the game is that much more fun with other people, but how lively is the community for someone who is only 1 rung removed from total noob at this?
    I find the game much more fun in co-op, but only when everyone is playing character of approximately the same level, and no one is playing the same specialization/class. Whenever I start with my friends on Dungeon Defenders, I always roll a fresh level 1 character to play with them. The community is pretty active. The game is always in the top twenty multiplayer games on Steam (around the same amount of players as L4D2).

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    edited January 2012
    Penumbra wrote:

We have a PA group for it. I don't know how active it is. And in general like most games, the PUBs aren't that great. The community at the higher levels of the game (post 70) can be a huge turn off.

The downside: People can sell your turrets and put up theirs. There is a limited number Defense Units, DU (example: 3 for a Magic missle tower). People can or will place towers in front of yours to get more kills (xp). This is a worst case scenario, I never Pub.

The upside: having friends that play, or teaming up with folks from PA (or others) can be generous and rewarding. It is much easier to survive the first wave on harder levels or harder settings when you're able to put down towers to cover each entry/choke point.
    If you don't have people to play with, you can switch out characters in the build phase. and use their specific towers to benefit your builds. However, this game was primarily made for multiplayer especially for high levels/harder settings.

I had a lot of fun on the journey. that said, you can get to level 70 (The grind starts after 70) in a single night (maybe even 2 hours) with help. 71-74 takes a bit longer. At 70, you can take on most levels on the insane difficulty.

Also: what hanso said. The journey is fun, and probably the most enjoyable rather than being powerleveled.

Broncbuster on
    steam_sig.png
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    I like playing with Hahn when he lets me leech a character up to 70 in survival :P

But yes, the game is considerably more fun with more people. And as much as I always appreciate powerleveling characters up, it is also more fun when everyone is about the same level and doing an appropriately leveled stage/challenge.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular
    I did enjoy figuring out how to place the towers and upgrade them to survive the stage, but it definitely got hectic near the end.

Thanks for the information, I think I'm going to pick it up this week sometime.

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
  • SchwhatSchwhat Registered User regular
    You should by getting the 74 first, it makes it a tad easier (XP Buff, don't forget it!). You don't have to but it is recommended. That said, NM Endless Spires, cheese the first round or 2 and check the chests as priority. There may be great gear to be had. Another thing that may help, max your armor's Physical resistance, should help if you don't do it already.

How do you cheese the first 2 rounds of nm endless spires? I didn't think it was possible. I mean nm deeper well had an orge the 2nd wave.

Sq wrote:
    To play Nightmare you have to have good enough gear, plain and simple. That means a matching set of mythical with decent enough stats to get your two main tower stats above 500. So level up to 74 (continually running insane glitter with 4 people makes it go fast) then go shop around at the player shops. You should be able to get a matching set of mythical armor for 3-8 million per piece (avoid shops that are charging 20-50 million per piece - most are wildly over-appraised). Once you have the gear you should be set!

Yeah, that was my plan... make all 4 characters to 70ish so I can utilize them to grind survival insane for mana... but if you look at it this way. How did the first people start nightmare? I mean there was no one to sell them mythical gear or being the one who pulls them through each wave.

This discussion has been closed.