As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[EAST] Who's bringing their 3DS (or other handheld device) and what games?

• Options
    ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    I'll have my 3DS, along with Pokemon: Black, LoZ: Four Swords, Kid Icarus, not sure about RE or MK7 as of yet. But I had 3 hours to kill between classes today, and was really glad I had this thing with me (currently on my second run through Cave Story 3D). Also, passed about 1000 other students between yesterday and today. Number of streetpass tags: 0. :/

Number of StreetPass tags at PAX: ZOMG TOO MANY TO KEEP UP WITH!!

Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    GooseyGooseGooseyGoose Registered User regular
    I get the gist of streetpass, but can anyone give any specifics for different games? I own MK7, Super Mario Land, and Zelda. I'm curious to hear about any games though.

• Options
    apopheniaapophenia Registered User new member
    Does anyone ever bring older handheld systems? I am mostly a PC gamer these days and haven't bought one since the Advance, which will be with me anyway, but I've been putting off buying the newer systems after realizing that there isn't backwards compatibility with networked play in a lot of cases (which kind of makes sense, but is still kind of really annoying).

• Options
    griffin.brucegriffin.bruce MichiganRegistered User regular
    v1ral wrote:
    A 3DS for the obvious Street Passes is the best bet. Nobody in the US will be buying a Vita, so it's pointless to bring.

Really? You think no one will be buying one? I'm almost completely sold on buying a Vita day one. There are some really cool looking games available at launch.

PAX East 2012: [X] Badge // [X] Time-off // [X] Accomodations // [ ] Travel // [X] EXCITEMENT!!!
    Twitter: @griffin_bruce GT: Nephilim Army PSN: NephilimArmy 3DS: 3523-2206-5371
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    v1ral wrote:
    A 3DS for the obvious Street Passes is the best bet. Nobody in the US will be buying a Vita, so it's pointless to bring.

Really? You think no one will be buying one? I'm almost completely sold on buying a Vita day one. There are some really cool looking games available at launch.

This mentality of "No one wants a Vita!" just boggles my mind. It looks fucking amazing. I've had a pre-order in for it from the moment Amazon put it up, and I'm no Sony fanboy. Can't wait to get it on 02/15!
    I get the gist of streetpass, but can anyone give any specifics for different games? I own MK7, Super Mario Land, and Zelda. I'm curious to hear about any games though.

MK7 will swap Ghost data, SM3DL you get Power Up gifts, and Zelda does nothing. Also built into your 3DS is MiiPlaza, which you swap puzzle peices, see where the people you StreetPass with come from, and can use their Mii's in a very simple (but fun!) RPG.

Chorazin on
    Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Ack double post sorry!

Chorazin on
    Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    griffin.brucegriffin.bruce MichiganRegistered User regular
    @ Chorazin

Yeah, I'm not a Sony Fanboy at all either. I just got a PS3 over Thanksgiving, and I've had an Xbox for years. I just feel like the tech looks incredible and games like Escape Plan are a must have.

PAX East 2012: [X] Badge // [X] Time-off // [X] Accomodations // [ ] Travel // [X] EXCITEMENT!!!
    Twitter: @griffin_bruce GT: Nephilim Army PSN: NephilimArmy 3DS: 3523-2206-5371
  • Options
    jaded_realityjaded_reality Registered User regular
    I have to agree with griffin.bruce. I'm not a Sony fanboy by any means but I am looking forward to the Vita. The fact that they decided to add a second analog stick is fantastic and the game line-up looks to be pretty good. Especially with LittleBigPlanet. It'll be interesting to see how it fairs after the PSP Go debacle though.

3 Day Pass [X] Hotel [X] Travel [ ] 3DS [X] Alcohol Tolerance [X]
  • Options
    ottoman673ottoman673 Registered User regular
    I might bring my OG DS... still rockin' the Blue DS Phat. haha.

There's a chance i'll buy the Vita since it looks so good, but the only time I really played my DS last year was in line on the first day. We'll see what happens, though. I just can't bring myself to buying a 3DS.

PAX East 2012 Checklist: [x] 3 Day Pass [x] Time off Work [x] Flight [x] Hotel
  • Options
    Ok so far the big games to bring are Pokemon, Mario Kart DS/7, Starfox, LoZ: 4 Swords, and maybe Resident Evil: Mercenaries.

• Options
    TrandescentTrandescent Registered User regular
    I'll have Mario Kart 7, Legend Of Zelda OOT, LOZ: Four Swords Anniversary Edition, VVVVVV, Mighty Switch Force, Pokemon Black + Soul Silver and Cave Story.

8elUgf9.png

PAX East 2018 4-Day Pass [X] BYOC Pass [X] Hotel Reservation [X]

See y'all at PAX East 2018!
  • Options
    LuptoniumLuptonium Registered User regular
    I'll have my 3ds with Street Fighter. Wife's bringing hers too but All she has is Nintendogs, and she wants to do the Pokemon challenge.

• Options
    xenardxenard Registered User regular
    I'm either bringing my DS Lite or 3DS with Pokemon Black and Mario Kart for now.

steam_sig.png
    3DS Friend Code: 2449-5711-0640
  • Options
    shrike09shrike09 Registered User regular
    I'll have my 3DS and Vita with me. I'd love to get a game of 4-player 4 Swords (downloaded but haven't played yet) - we should try to arrange for meet-ups. Is that a full-length Zelda game?

• Options
    LuptoniumLuptonium Registered User regular
    shrike09 wrote:
    I'll have my 3DS and Vita with me. I'd love to get a game of 4-player 4 Swords (downloaded but haven't played yet) - we should try to arrange for meet-ups. Is that a full-length Zelda game?

Not really, but the dungeons randomize so it's different every time.

• Options
    TemigTemig East [E] North Shore - MARegistered User regular
    I'm curious as to what games those planning on bringing their shiny new Vitas anticipate bringing. There's a pretty solid looking lineup but outside of LBP I'm trying to figure out what might end up being the "to bring" games.

JQ1qRPt.png
  • Options
    bushnrvnbushnrvn Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Fiancee and I will be bringing our 3DSes. Games may include SFIV, Mario 3D Land, Zelda, Starfox, and some Pokemon White.

Also hoping for some sweet, sweet four swords action.

bushnrvn on
    PAX Prime 2013 checklist: 4 Day Pass [X] Accommodations [X] Travel [ ] Time Off [X]
  • Options
    Tom819Tom819 Haverhill, MARegistered User regular
    Bringing my 3DS. I'll have SFIV, Star Fox, and possibly Mario Kart (if my son lets me take it). As long as Kid Icarus is launched that'll be with me also.

• Options
    ottoman673ottoman673 Registered User regular
    Tom819 wrote:
    Bringing my 3DS. I'll have SFIV, Star Fox, and possibly Mario Kart (if my son lets me take it). As long as Kid Icarus is launched that'll be with me also.

Hope you have a place to post up with your Kid Icarus stand... http://www.joystiq.com/2012/01/12/japanese-release-of-kid-icarus-uprising-stays-put-with-bundled/

PAX East 2012 Checklist: [x] 3 Day Pass [x] Time off Work [x] Flight [x] Hotel
  • Options
    Tom819Tom819 Haverhill, MARegistered User regular
    Yeah I saw that the other day.

• Options
    Senior_CyclopsSenior_Cyclops Registered User regular
    I'll have my 3DS on hand. Of course, Mario Kart 7/Mario Kart DS! I'll have Street Fighter IV and DOA Dimensions on hand too. Hoping to have a Vita and Street Fighter X Tekken by then too!

• Options
    I've been out of the loop for a while now being out of the country but what kind of MP is Icarus going to have?

• Options
    ChaosLightChaosLight Registered User regular
    I'm bringing a 3DS with Mario Kart and Mario Kart 7, also Pokemon Black and maybe Ocarina of Time. Might bring The World Ends With You but it belongs to my roommate so he might want it.

• Options
    chocojoshchocojosh Registered User regular
    Will be bringing my 3DS but who not sure what game I'll be going through by then. I'm waiting impatiently for Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor 2.

• Options
    chocojosh wrote:
    Will be bringing my 3DS but who not sure what game I'll be going through by then. I'm waiting impatiently for Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor 2.

Some sort of multiplayer game is a good idea too, plenty of people will want to play while you're in line! :)

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    chocojoshchocojosh Registered User regular
    I'm not crazy about Mario Kart. Suggestions? Most of my DS collection is RPGs!

• Options
    KikiItemriKikiItemri MontrealRegistered User regular
    I'll be bringing my 3DS for sure. Not 100% sure what games I am going to bring with it though.

• Options
    chocojosh wrote:
    I'm not crazy about Mario Kart. Suggestions? Most of my DS collection is RPGs!

Last year Pokemon B&W were quite popular, because you could jump into other people's games and do quests. But if you don't like Mario Kart, maybe you should see Dr. Mario and get some pills to fix you! :P

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Dr Mario, now that brings me back. I've seen it in the online store and have been tempted to get it.

If anyone wants to add me on their friend's list on their 3DS, my friend code is 1633-4184-1120

KikiItemri on
  • Options
    Zap-RoboZap-Robo This Space Intentionally Left Blank Youngstown, OHRegistered User regular
    Is the use of handhelds so prevalent at PAX East? Being first timers, me and the wife are wondering if we should pick up a pair of devices and a couple of games to bring along...

Andy "Zap-Robo" Barber
    Editor in Chief @ www.mmo-central.com
  • Options
    VolaroVolaro The Iron Gentleman Registered User regular
    Bringing my 3DS. Pokemon Black and Mario Kart 7, for sure. Not positive about any others.

• Options
    ChimneyImpChimneyImp Shifty Eyes BostonRegistered User regular
    I'll my original fat DS with Pokemon White. Maybe Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes if I can get over the HD remake being so much better balanced.

Z04due2.png
  • Options
    Zap-Robo wrote:
    Is the use of handhelds so prevalent at PAX East? Being first timers, me and the wife are wondering if we should pick up a pair of devices and a couple of games to bring along...

The majority of people there will have a handheld device, makes the lines bearable!

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    TraitoriousTraitorious Registered User regular
    Zap-Robo wrote:
    I can definitely vouch for bringing some sort of handheld to help pass the time in lines during the weekend. (3)DS, PSP (Vita), a tablet, or something. But you could always talk to the people around you too :)

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Zap-Robo wrote:
    I can definitely vouch for bringing some sort of handheld to help pass the time in lines during the weekend. (3)DS, PSP (Vita), a tablet, or something. But you could always talk to the people around you too :)

I would argue that screaming FUCK YOU BLUE SHELL COCKSMOKER I HOPE YOU DIE IN A FIRE!! while playing MK 7 will be talking to the people around you.... ;P

Oh, and there is also an entire area called the Handheld Lounge dedicated to just laying in a Sumo and playing your handheld. Great way to relax!

Chorazin on
    Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    ckonzeckonze Registered User new member
    Doubt I'll have the Vita yet at that point but I'll definitely have my 3DS and PSP with Mario Kart 7 and Monster Hunter Freedom Unite.

• Options
    Thought about it - I'll probably be bringing Pokemon Black, Devil Survivor, Ocarina of Time, Super Mario 3D Land, SF, Star Fox, Mario Kart, and if I can get my hands on it, Mario Kart 7.

• Options
    Daft IngenuityDaft Ingenuity Registered User new member
    I'm planning on bringing my 3DS with Pokemon Black and Pearl, Mario Kart 7, The World Ends With You, Zelda OoT 3D, Four Swords 3DS, and Super Mario 3D Land. I agree with what's being said above, Streetpass at PAX is going to be rather ridiculous.

On a side note, anyone have an estimate how long they can usually get their 3DS batteries to last? I know my DS Lite performed like a champ last year, but alas, I traded it in. Is it worth picking up one of those battery extenders?

• Options
    GooseyGooseGooseyGoose Registered User regular
    I'm planning on bringing my 3DS with Pokemon Black and Pearl, Mario Kart 7, The World Ends With You, Zelda OoT 3D, Four Swords 3DS, and Super Mario 3D Land. I agree with what's being said above, Streetpass at PAX is going to be rather ridiculous.

On a side note, anyone have an estimate how long they can usually get their 3DS batteries to last? I know my DS Lite performed like a champ last year, but alas, I traded it in. Is it worth picking up one of those battery extenders?

While playing strictly 2d with minimum brightness, no sound, and the power off, I can get 20, maybe 30 minutes.

On a more serious note, does the 3DS have to be on in "sleep mode" for street pass to work?

• Options

Probably 4 hours max with wifi and 3D on. I recommend anyone with a 3DS get the Nyko PowerPak+, it near doubles the battery life and IMO it makes the system more comfortable to hold. I've had mine on since I got my 3DS and the thing works like a champ!

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin