As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[EAST] Pre PAX East 2012 Dinner - ORDERS IN!

• Options
    tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    Creamsteak wrote:
    Personally, in large groups I find doing whatever makes the restaurants life easier is highly effective at making my life easier. This is one of the many obvious lessons I learned from working in a restaurant. Preparing 75 pre-planned entres and sides is trivially easy. Preparing 75 seperate meals unprepared is chaos and will highly increase the odds that the people will take longer to be served and that the kitchen will be overwhelmed. Overwhelmed kitchen => overwhelmed waitstaff => unsatisfied customers.

I went in on Fish & Chips personally.

this is precisely why i am waiting for a little extra cash to buy some prepaid tickets rather than just snagging free ones now.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    tvethiopia wrote:
    Creamsteak wrote:
    Personally, in large groups I find doing whatever makes the restaurants life easier is highly effective at making my life easier. This is one of the many obvious lessons I learned from working in a restaurant. Preparing 75 pre-planned entres and sides is trivially easy. Preparing 75 seperate meals unprepared is chaos and will highly increase the odds that the people will take longer to be served and that the kitchen will be overwhelmed. Overwhelmed kitchen => overwhelmed waitstaff => unsatisfied customers.

this is precisely why i am waiting for a little extra cash to buy some prepaid tickets rather than just snagging free ones now.

I'm in agreement with this. I honestly don't think there should be a "freestyle" option at all unless there is some sort of extreme circumstance. Seeing it in the lead is confirming my suspicion that the option could cause problems.

• Options
    MxWoodMxWood Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote:
    tvethiopia wrote:
    Creamsteak wrote:

I'm in agreement with this. I honestly don't think there should be a "freestyle" option at all unless there is some sort of extreme circumstance. Seeing it in the lead is confirming my suspicion that the option could cause problems.

I think its a good thing to have, I do think it should be limited though, I mean if 75 people all buy it, thats bad but only because its going to make the dinner a bit longer and more hectic, I can understand why people don't want to pay 24 dollars though for a 10 dollar item. I find the choices can be bad because they'll limit people to things they might not like/want

• Options
    Susan69Susan69 Registered User regular
    This is a restaurant, I'd guess that if they didn't think they could handle 75 people potentially all ordering whatever they wanted off of the menu, then they wouldn't allow the freestyle option. I agree with MXwood in that the worst that could happen is just that the food takes a bit longer to come out. And we already know not everyone is getting a freestyle ticket.

• Options
    acumen101acumen101 Registered User regular
    RE @zerzhul 's concern, I did get the okay from the restaurant to have people of our group order as they want, outside of the ticket they bought, but it will be on their own tab. Despite it being in the lead, it is less than a third of all tickets purchased.

RE @creamsteak 's concern, I am closing ticket sales 10 days before the event, so I can call the restaurant and tell them what to expect and why 5 pm is a rolling start time and not everyone is expected at once (the MMT will be showing up a bit after 5).

Life-Long Nerd from New England

PAX East 2015: -Pass [X] -Hotel [X] -Time off[X]

twitter: acumen101 | fb: fb.com/acumen101
    Steam: acumen101 | xbl/psn: caseBlaster101

• Options
    CreamsteakCreamsteak Thrall Registered User regular
    The other bit to think about is if everyone suddenly wants to close their tabs out @7, things may get a bit hectic. It's a little easier if you pay with cash instead of a card, so maybe some people will want to take that into consideration.

• Options
    KellyShepard087KellyShepard087 Myrtle Beach SCRegistered User regular
    Creamsteak wrote:

I amm of the same mind. I work at the Opeyland hotel here in nashville and our restaurant doesn't have a pre-set/pre-sale dinner option so we constantly get parties of 20+ wanting to order off limited or full menu. So much heticness!

Also, yay! More for Team Fish 'N chips!

- Biting's excellent! It's like kissing. Only there's a winner.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Prime - '11 Attendee, '12 Enforcer, '13 Enforcer
    East - '12 Attendee, '15 Enforcer
  • Options
    LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    "MxWood wrote:
    I might pass the cheeseburger off to a friend and then join Team Get Whatever I Want.

I believe you meant, "Team Get Whatever the Hell I Want, Bitches!" [Edit: LIKE OYSTERS]

But seriously, here's a crazy idea: the restaurant menu is posted online, yes? How giving the freestylers a way to pick what they want ordered off the menu ahead of time? Maybe have folks PM you before the close date, or even give them a number that the restaurant can attach to their order.

Even if only some attendees do that, it would still help the restaurant out a lot by decreasing the ad-hoc orders that night.

LexiconGrrl on
    Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • Options
    MathrymMathrym Montreal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    "MxWood wrote:
    I might pass the cheeseburger off to a friend and then join Team Get Whatever I Want.

I believe you meant, "Team Get Whatever the Hell I Want, Bitches!"

But seriously, here's a crazy idea: the restaurant menu is posted online, yes? How giving the freestylers a way to pick what they want ordered off the menu ahead of time? Maybe have folks PM you before the close date, or even give them a number that the restaurant can attach to their order.

Even if only some attendees do that, it would still help the restaurant out a lot by decreasing the ad-hoc orders that night.

I can't see why the restaurant would disagree with this since it would make their lives easier that night. Like I mentionned to Lex before, I like her Oyster idea and would join in the "Assault of mount Oyster" campaign.

Anybody else?

• Options
    I will call the restaurant about that and see if that's something they can handle. Also, it further validates the people who got the free style ticket. I doubt that anyone on here would not take this dinner seriously, relatively speaking, but better to be safer than sorry.

• Options
    #Team Oyster for the Massachusetts Win!!

• Options
    Oh yeah, 4 tickets left!

I can see if I can get more space if need be, though.

• Options
    gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular
    Thats it...I'm starting a Team Clam Chowder to compete with Team Oyster.

fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
  • Options
    "MxWood wrote:

I believe you meant, "Team Get Whatever the Hell I Want, Bitches!" [Edit: LIKE OYSTERS]

I believe you meant scallops wrapped in bacon.
    Maybe I'll try an oyster... It would be new.

• Options
    Captain Spaulding IICaptain Spaulding II [E] Marlborough, MARegistered User regular
    Wow, looks like I caught it just in time this morning. Looking forward to representing Team Fish and Chips with pride!

• Options
    mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    acumen101 wrote:
    Oh yeah, 4 tickets left!

I need at least one and possibly 4 tickets, so I think we will need more space for sure.

Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • Options
    mentok1982 wrote:
    acumen101 wrote:
    Oh yeah, 4 tickets left!

I need at least one and possibly 4 tickets, so I think we will need more space for sure.

As soon as you get a firm number, PM me with the details

• Options
    edited January 2012
    gigabrain wrote:
    Thats it...I'm starting a Team Clam Chowder to compete with Team Oyster.

kirk-khan-shout.jpg
    CHOWDAAAAAAAH!!!

LexiconGrrl on
  • Options
    Wow, looks like I caught it just in time this morning. Looking forward to representing Team Fish and Chips with pride!
    Yay more Fish 'N Chips peeps!!
    (m)

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • Options
    peetsnackpeetsnack Team Green Poké Assist, Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, Head Girl House Hufflepuff The Cleave LandsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I am about 90% positive I just snagged the last ticket. I hope that you didnt already increase the limit.

Edit: oop. also fish and chip.

peetsnack on
    7B14287.png
  • Options
    squeakyboysqueakyboy Registered User regular
    I am definitely interested in going if more tickets open up.

• Options
    We should have a runny tally of the teams and counts somewhere...That would be epically awesome.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • Options
    klokateer9047klokateer9047 A.K.A Captain Freezeezy Long island,NYRegistered User regular
    NOOOOOOOOOOO

Damn it. Next year for sure.

Steam:Klokateer9047

Xbox live:Wonderboy9047

@Astonishingmike on twitter

STILL THE BEST 1973-FOREVER
  • Options
    I'm going to call the restaurant today/tomorrow to see about getting another 25 seats, so stay tuned!

• Options
    FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    acumen101 wrote:
    I'm going to call the restaurant today/tomorrow to see about getting another 25 seats, so stay tuned!

Holy @#$%@#$ I had no idea these would go so fast. I'm going to order as soon as more are made available and I'll just have to best guess for the fiance.

Yeah I know it sounds silly but we don't live on the same clock at all. This seemed like something we could put away for a bit later so...

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • Options
    ButterySaltButterySalt Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I need 2 tickets -- I dropped off the forums for a couple days and missed it.

Edit -- I may need 4 tickets -- reaching out to people today.

ButterySalt on
  • Options
    klokateer9047klokateer9047 A.K.A Captain Freezeezy Long island,NYRegistered User regular
    acumen101 wrote:

Me and my friends will be forever indebted to you!

• Options
    So...yeah. I just increased capacity...BY ANOTHER 25!

• Options
    LokialeLokiale \o/ Registered User regular
    acumen101 wrote:

*cheers!*

East 2012 checklist: Hotel [X] Travel [X] Pass [X] Make All The Friends [ ]
    2009 Omeganaut
  • Options
    jdixon1972jdixon1972 Registered User regular
    OMG, OMG, OMG!!!! (OK, i've been watching to much gossip girl.) Thank you for adding the extra capacity. I thought I was going to miss out this year. I don't remember last year selling out that quickly! Guess our event is going to get more popular every year!

• Options
    nataliepinataliepi Rogue Astronomer PARegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    acumen101 wrote:

THANK YOU!

I saw that they were sold out and almost had a panic attack. :P Team Freestyle, anyone?

nataliepi on
    PAX East 2013 Checklist: 3-Day PAX Badge [x] Hotel [x] Travel [x] Time Off [x]
    t: @nataliepi | fb: fb.com/hernandeznlh
  • Options
    Sentient6Sentient6 Mad Grad Student Registered User regular
    Just snagged a ticket. Majorly looking forward to it, and hoping to be just a little less awkward than last year.

• Options
    Sentient6 wrote:
    Just snagged a ticket. Majorly looking forward to it, and hoping to be just a little less awkward than last year.

Yeah I said like 5 words last year during the dinner... =\

• Options
    nataliepinataliepi Rogue Astronomer PARegistered User regular
    Sentient6 wrote:

It was not that awkward!

PAX East 2013 Checklist: 3-Day PAX Badge [x] Hotel [x] Travel [x] Time Off [x]
    t: @nataliepi | fb: fb.com/hernandeznlh
  • Options
    tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    well, i've abandoned my concerns about sticking with the preset options. just picked up a couple of free style tickets to make sure i don't miss my chance waiting for my next paycheck!

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    Woot, I got me some tickets! I will now mingle with all of ye.

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • Options
    willowtasticwillowtastic NL, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Just picked up three frestyle tickets. I was going to go with the preset options, but I don't want to miss out because I'm waiting for money to come through. Looking forward to it!

• Options
    MoociferMoocifer Artsy Broad Registered User regular
    I'm officially going! And I'm dragging my boyfriend and two friends along too. I snagged free tickets to make sure we could all get seats. Woo!

PAX East 2014!!!1!one
    3 Day Pass: [x] // Travel: [ x] // Time Off: [ x] // Hotel: [x]
    Twitter: @amysophie
    Twitter: amysophie
    Gamertag/Steam: Vixen Valentine
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    FISH & CHIPS REPRESENTTTTTT!

Can't wait. My own people are seemingly bailing on me, so it will be another year of PAX: The Year of the Redfield. Bar crawl is near this, right?

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Oh god. I want to get 4 freestyle tickets for me and my group but I wouldn't want anyone to miss out just in case :(

klokateer9047 on