As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EAST] 2nd Annual Boston GLBTQA Gamer Meetup! UPDATED 2/23/2012!

ThemiscyraThemiscyra Registered User regular
edited February 2012 in PAX Archive
PLEASE NOTE THAT, BECAUSE THIS IS NOT SOLELY A PAX EAST EVENT, FUTURE UPDATES TO THIS EVENT MAY NOT BE POSTED ON THIS BOARD. FOR THE MOST UP TO DATE INFORMATION, PLEASE VISIT THE MAIN EVENT PAGE ON MY BLOG.

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the 2012 All-Ages GLBTQA Gamer Meetup! This is going to be awesome. We'll have food! Non-alcoholic beverages! Rock Band! Mingling! If you feel like dancing and there is room to dance, effing dance! Whether you're going to PAX or just in the area, you are welcome to attend!

When: Friday, April 6th, from 6 pm to 9 pm

Where: Bocoup, 355 Congress Street, Boston, MA 02210

How: Bocoup is just a five-minute walk from South Station! From the BCEC, go to the World Trade Center station, take the Silver Line to South Station and walk from there. Or, if you're a hardy soul, you can walk directly from the convention area - it should only take ten or fifteen minutes. Naturally you can also take cabs, cars, horses, T-Rexes, or whatever other transportation you prefer, though I cannot tell you what the parking situation is like. It's Boston, so probably bad.

Who: Your fabulous selves! And some other GLBTQA gamers and allies from the area. I am limiting the event to 80 people, as that's the "comfort cap," though I may relent a little if we hit it before everyone who wants to go is able to sign up. Just a wee little bit. There's a harder cap above that and I don't want the fire department getting involved. No matter how many of you would love to see firemen at this party.

And now the FAQ!

Should I register?
YES. Please go to http://glbtgamers.eventbrite.com/

Is there a badge for trading cards?
Yes! Use this:

glbtmeetup.png

How can I help?
Bless your heart. I'm going to need volunteers for setup and cleanup. This will probably mean arriving up to an hour before the event and staying up to an hour or two afterward. My budget is really, really limited, but I'll see if I can do something special for our volunteers in return.

Aside from that? We're going to need some stuff. A drum set for Rock Band. An extra guitar controller. A keyboard stand, with or without keyboard (I can supply the keyboard). Extra mikes for harmony parts. Soft drinks and/or juice. Veggie platters. Possibly other kind of platters. Maybe some sweet stuff, like a cake or cookies or a bowl of candy. Coolers. Ice. If you can volunteer these or other resources, please let me know.

If you'd like to donate directly to help defray the costs of the event, please contact me at cassandra dot lease at gmail dot com and we'll set that up. In the interests of full disclosure and accountability, our budget is completely public. You can view it at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjQZDjsCjJr4dDBGV0VtNE9ENnlBZ3R4U1RKUjFqRVE

No booze? Boo!
That's not really a question. But yes, sadly, no booze. There will be people under 21 at this party, and I do not want to deal with the logistics of serving alcohol in that situation. The big gay party at the first PAX East was a 21+ affair, and while I didn't attend and wasn't involved in organizing it, I felt bad that there were attendees who were left out. When I organized the 2011 meetup, I was determined to open it to all ages. That determination hasn't changed. That said, if anyone else wants to organize a 21+ GLBTQA affair at some other point in the weekend, go for it! I'm not saying you can't drink, I'm just saying you can't drink here.

What if I bring my own alcohol?
Please don't. Again, sorry, but that opens up a can of worms that I don't want to deal with. You are welcome to drink before the event (though...please don't show up obviously drunk or high, as this may make other attendees uncomfortable) and certainly welcome to keep the party going at a bar afterwards, but I want to make this event a safe, comfortable space for everyone. By the way - that goes double for illicit drugs. Please don't bring them. I don't think anyone here would, but that would cause serious trouble.

I'm bisexual, can I still attend?
Yes!

I'm transgender, can I still attend?
Yep!

I'm still figuring out my sexuality, can I still attend?
Indeed!

I'm asexual, am I welcome?
Completely!

I'm straight but gay-friendly, can I still attend?
Indubitably!

I'm gay, can I still attend?
...I...uh...what? Yes.

I'm a honey badger, can I attend?
Are you a gay, trans, bi, asexual, questioning or GLBTQ-friendly honey badger? If so, yes. But please don't maul anyone.

I'm not really into labels, can I still attend?
Look, seriously, as long as you're down with the GLBTQ crowd, aren't looking to troll us, and don't harass anyone, you're welcome. In the words of Wil Wheaton, just don't be a dick.

PAX EAST 2011 Omegathon Finalist - PAX East 2012 Omeganaut
After time adrift among open stars
Among tides of light and to shoals of dust
I will return to where I began
Themiscyra on

• feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    I missed it last year due to the Escapist Screening Block. On the upside, I got a free Imp plushie. On the downside, I missed what I hear was an amazing time. I'm thinking this year I'll try to actually go to this. As for venues, I heard that there were issues with transportation and stuff back to BCEC, but I could be wrong. So should we aim for it to be closer to the Center?

• aethyraethyr new member
    Not from the area, but i'm interested in helping.
    Was at Uno's last year, I think I sat next to you!

_________
    --aethyr
    http://twitter.com/#!/tylrs
  • ProprietyPropriety PAX Pokemon League Leader! Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Hooray! I was looking forward to this thread, Themiscyra! :D
    I missed it last year due to the Escapist Screening Block. On the upside, I got a free Imp plushie. On the downside, I missed what I hear was an amazing time. I'm thinking this year I'll try to actually go to this. As for venues, I heard that there were issues with transportation and stuff back to BCEC, but I could be wrong. So should we aim for it to be closer to the Center?

Yeah I made the same mistake. Will not happen again! I am so going to make it to this this PAX!

Some place near the convention center would be cool. Too bad it's in the middle of nowhere. Hm...

Also
    Themiscyra wrote:
    I'm gay, can I still attend?
    ...I...uh...what? Yes.

This made me make some sort of half-giggle half-choking noise. I am at work. XD

Anyway, count me in!

Propriety on
    That guy with the ridiculously long scarf at PAX. Say Hi!
    Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Just an out-of-area ally checking in and voicing love and support! Sorry I can't make it.

a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • MelesMelesMelesMeles Registered User regular
    I'm a badger, can I attend?

MelesMeles wrote:

As long as you aren't a honey badger, and I get badger huggles, then yes.

• KellyShepard087KellyShepard087 Myrtle Beach SCRegistered User regular
    I'm a lesbian only known for a year. I would love to attend this. I will be at Pax with a group of friends from The WorkPLace(Formerly Halo3 In The WorkPLace). We get groups together every year for Prime and East. Sadly i am one of the few gays in the group. I'd love to meet other Gay gamers.
    I'm in. tell me when, where and what I need to know.

- Biting's excellent! It's like kissing. Only there's a winner.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Prime - '11 Attendee, '12 Enforcer, '13 Enforcer
    East - '12 Attendee, '15 Enforcer
  • Jude0487Jude0487 Registered User new member
    I went to this last year and am so glad you are doing this again. Really looking forward to it :)

MelesMeles wrote:

I will hug everything that ever was :D I'm in!!

Also, if I can vote for something in the evening, rather than something during PAX, that'd make me a happy badger :)

• missmalice_missmalice_ closet nerd EastcoastRegistered User regular
    I'd love to get together and meet new friends!

Pax badge [X] hotel [X] time off [X] travel []
  • Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    This is a great idea! I don't know if I'll be able to show up as I'll be Enforcing and doing research for a book, but I'd love to try!

(I am a biromantic gray-A asexual with nonstandard gender presentation that's a lot of labels argh)

and I am going to assume that asexuals are also welcome?

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
    edited November 2011
    MelesMeles wrote:
    MelesMeles wrote:

I will hug everything that ever was :D I'm in!!

YAY!
    This is a great idea! I don't know if I'll be able to show up as I'll be Enforcing and doing research for a book, but I'd love to try!

(I am a biromantic gray-A asexual with nonstandard gender presentation that's a lot of labels argh)

and I am going to assume that asexuals are also welcome?

I... waitwhut? *shakes head to clear confusion* Of course you can come. I think we'd put you under "questioning" as we'd be questioning you as to what the heck that means. :P

In all seriousness, the labels debate is a difficult one to get into, but I say that John Green said it best when he said that we should "imagine people complexly."

feitocomfruta on
  • PorkcpPorkcp Registered User regular
    I live in the Boston Area and I will most likely attend this event. You are right that the convention center is in the middle of nowhere and there is almost nothing out there. You may want to look into Gillian's. It's a billiards bar in the Fenway area. I know they offer a private room but I think we would just be fine making a reservation in the Bar / Billiards area.

• sofreshsodarrylsofreshsodarryl East 2011 Omeganaut Los Angeles, CARegistered User regular
    Themiscyra wrote:
    I was just talking about this with my friend Darryl...
    Hey that's me! :-P

I'm on the other side of the country but I would love to help any way I can!
    If possible I would love for the meetup to be earlier (Thursday or Friday) so we can make friends before PAX is in full swing and spot each other during the con. Saturdays at PAX tend to have the most nightlife / parties and Sundays everyone is usually too tired (or leaving town) to really commit to a meetup.

Thursday seems a good day. I party with my WorkPLacer friends late Thursday night but would be up for a dinner-ish meeting time.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    I've got the PokeCrawl thursday night, but maybe we meet for noms and fun before that? Or I just show up to the meet in a Pikachu hat :D

edited November 2011
    The only problem with Thursday is that the PAX East Train Alliance gets into Boston in later in the evening, around 8:40pm or so.

feitocomfruta on
  • SammySammy Registered User regular
    I so want in on this.
    I have the same issue as a few people however, thursday has already been claimed by the PPD and PokeCrawl.
    Maybe a friday late-ish lunch? Friday morning is usually taken over by the keynote and first q&a. Depending on who speaks this year anyway.
    hmm. this is hard to plan without knowing the schedule yet, but regardless I'll be there if not otherwise occupied. :)

Go Team !Squirtle!!!! Nurse Joy Pokecrawl '11

PAX EAST 2012: HOTEL [X] FLIGHT [] PASSES [X] TIME OFF []
  • EtherangelEtherangel Bounty Hunter Knoxville, TNRegistered User regular
    I attended last year, and would love to again!

• ThemiscyraThemiscyra Registered User regular
    Hey all -

Geez, sorry, I've been incredibly distracted lately and haven't checked in on the forums for a while. Anyway, I think I definitely want to do this on Friday, personally...if we go with Thursday, we're up against late arrivals, the pre-PAX dinner, the Pokecrawl, etc. If we do this Saturday or Sunday, well, there's not really enough time left in the convention to hang out with all the great new friends you've made! I do like the idea of a late lunch on Friday, but I'm going to have to see how that works with the Omegathon rounds...the first one is generally right after the keynote. Would a tentative plan for "Friday, after the first Omegathon round" work for everyone?

To answer questions/comments that have come up...honey badgers are also welcome, just try not to attack the servers. Asexuals of any variety are also welcome...I should have added that to the list, really. As I did say in the FAQ, here is my one and only rule for this event: don't be a dick. As long as you're cool with the whole hot, steaming alphabet soup that is our community, we're cool with you. Transportation...yes, it was an issue this year. I think that was mainly because a couple dozen people were all trying to get to Uno by taxi on a Friday night when other people were headed out to dinner. A shift in the schedule might help. So, too, a shift in location. I'll look into Gillian's, though I seem to recall that they have some kind of age restriction and I really don't want to tell anyone they're too young to come.

This probably won't all firm up until a month or so before PAX, but I'll start looking at some venues and see what I can come up with. I'm glad to see so much enthusiasm already! If you have any more suggestions, please feel free to make them.

I think a late lunch would be a great idea on Friday. It will give us all a chance to check stuff out, hang around for a little bit, and have a gay old time (sorry had to say it, I'll stand in the corner now.)

I think a late lunch would be a great idea on Friday. It will give us all a chance to check stuff out, hang around for a little bit, and have a gay old time (sorry had to say it, I'll stand in the corner now.)

You're fired.

Sounds good to me. I'm open for just about anything.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • MASeffectMASeffect Registered User regular
    This was SO much fun. I met some people I still keep in contact with at this dinner last year, cant wait to go again!

lloyehipr7341342326762.png
  • EdowinEdowin Registered User new member
    I think this would be great! I have never been to PAX East, nor to one of these gatherings. I think it would be fun to meet everyone. I shied away from my gaming desires as I felt being gay and gaming didn't really mix. Well, I think this will help! Friday would definetely be easier. I, along with a few others are arriving mid-day friday.

Gay and gaming mix very well in the right crowds. Just like IRL it all depends on who you hang with that determines those things, not what you do. ;)

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • EdowinEdowin Registered User new member
    Very true! I look forward to hopefully meeting up with everyone.

So should we start planning out the meetup now as in more details and stuff?

Might not be a bad idea. Sorry, folks, I've been rather busy with my ongoing job search and another local con (Arisia) last weekend. I'll try to look at some nearby restaurants this week and see what I can come up with.

So I've got a question for all of you - which of these options would you prefer?

A. Nothing down. The restaurant knows when to expect us, and roughly how many will be coming, but we may not be in an entirely private space and things might get kind of disorganized. Everyone would order whatever they wanted off the normal menu and pay for that themselves. This is what we did with Uno's last year.

B. Minimum order. Some restaurants will give you private or semi-private space if you agree to a minimum order. If their total takings from your group don't meet that amount, the person who made the reservation is on the hook for the rest. This would still mean no money down for you guys; you pay only for what you order. But I might ask for donations to make sure my butt is covered if we don't meet the minimum. If they want a deposit, I'll definitely ask for donations. Any leftover funds would go back to the donors in the weeks after the event according to what they contributed...I'd probably set up a share system, say, five dollars a share and that determines the proportion that's returned.

C. Everyone pays in. We get a private space with catering. The cost is distributed among all attendees. If you pay in, you're on the list - BUT this means you would have to get the money in by a certain deadline, we would have to lock in a total number of heads and a menu that would feed everyone, and we probably couldn't randomly invite people to come along. I would certainly try to coordinate some kind of sponsorship program if some people couldn't pay and other generous people wanted to cover them, but we would need to lock all this down before the event.

I know these are short on details, but I want to know where we're at before I move forward. I'm looking at a few places around the convention center and feeling out what our options are. There's also at least one place I know of that's a bit farther afield, but has good food and a decent function space...actually, that's another question, how far do people want to go? Walking distance? Fifteen minute cab ride? Ten to twenty minute T ride?

Depending on size, I'd say if there's less than 20of us. Making a reservation (option A) would be suitable.

If there is a larger number, like almost equal to the pre-pax dinner, then options B or C would be best.

As for distance, I much prefer walking distance. For me I can walk up to 2 miles from the convention center.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    I agree, Kelly. Though I think if you did go with B, it would be helpful to see the menu and stuff beforehand so we know what the minimum order would end up looking like.

Let's get a head count for sure, then we can go from there.

I'll start with;

^_^

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • tylrstylrs Columbia, MDRegistered User new member
    me +2
    would love to see option c happen
    would be happy with b or a

• jdixon1972jdixon1972 Registered User regular
    You can also count me in!

• JlsoikittyJlsoikitty Land of Wind and GhostRegistered User regular
    My friend and I are down. As for dining arrangements, we're cool with whatever.

• ProprietyPropriety PAX Pokemon League Leader! Registered User regular
    Count me in!

That guy with the ridiculously long scarf at PAX. Say Hi!
    Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
  • EtherangelEtherangel Bounty Hunter Knoxville, TNRegistered User regular
    I'm still in! I prefer walking distance, but wouldn't combust if I had to catch a taxi. Catering would be cool if we got enough people to make it relatively inexpensive (10-15 bucks), but option A just sounds easier to manage.

• LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I just found this thread. GLBTQA? Girls Like Boys That Question Anatomy?

No seriously, it's a crazy great idea. Too bad it's too early for karaoke.

LexiconGrrl on
    Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.