As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Multi-Mission Monitor and the Many Mediating Matters [Which One to Get?]

RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
edited January 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
I currently run my PC through a Videoseven 19" VGA monitor. It's served my purposes well for over five years, but I'm thinking about upgrading. With moving to a new house and getting a larger desk, I was thinking of bringing my PS3 up here and running both devices through a single 24" monitor, sitting from roughly two feet away. My desires would be:

- 24"
- Full 1080p resolution
- At least 1 HDMI port for the PS3
- Good screen quality
- (Optional 1) A second HDMI port for the PC, but I can use VGA/DVI
- (Optional 2) Good speaker quality, but my existing external speakers are fine for now
- Price range: $250-$300 (£150-£200)

I've been looking at Samsung monitors, because I hear they're awesome, but there are so many different 24" models they provide I'm not sure which is which.

Other info:
- The PS3 is a 60GB Fat Model
- PC runs on 32 Bit Windows 7 Professional
- Graphics Card: ATI Radeon 4850 HD with two DVI ports

Does anyone have any experience as to which monitor I should be gunning for?

RMS Oceanic on

• EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    I currently run my PC through a Videoseven 19" VGA monitor. It's served my purposes well for over five years, but I'm thinking about upgrading. With moving to a new house and getting a larger desk, I was thinking of bringing my PS3 up here and running both devices through a single 24" monitor, sitting from roughly two feet away. My desires would be:

- 24"
    - Full 1080p resolution
    - At least 1 HDMI port for the PS3
    - Good screen quality
    - (Optional 1) A second HDMI port for the PC, but I can use VGA/DVI
    - (Optional 2) Good speaker quality, but my existing external speakers are fine for now
    - Price range: $250-$300 (£150-£200)

I've been looking at Samsung monitors, because I hear they're awesome, but there are so many different 24" models they provide I'm not sure which is which.

Other info:
    - The PS3 is a 60GB Fat Model
    - PC runs on 32 Bit Windows 7 Professional
    - Graphics Card: ATI Radeon 4850 HD with two DVI ports

Does anyone have any experience as to which monitor I should be gunning for?

Asus makes some great monitors. As for speaker quality, I don't think I've ever seen any built into a monitor that were better than mediocre.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007617 50001315 600030619&IsNodeId=1&name=24"

• drfogdrfog Registered User regular
    Yeah, generally speaking the worst computer speakers are better than the best TV ones.

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    drfog wrote:
    Yeah, generally speaking the worst computer speakers are better than the best TV ones.

Did you have computer and TV swapped round here?

Okay, so I'll continue to rely on my external speakers. Those ASUS monitors look interesting...

• drfogdrfog Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I was talking about onboard speakers vs. external ones.

drfog on
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Another thought has occured to me that I forgot about: The PS3. I'd need a monitor or TV with good speakers so I don't have to keep unplugging my speakers when I want to switch between them.

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    If you're putting this at a desk and it's 24 inches you don't need 1080p... I mean go for it if you find one in that budget, but for your price range you're more likely to get a better name brand lcd @720p and you'd never see a difference. I promise

are YOU on the beer list?
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    If you're putting this at a desk and it's 24 inches you don't need 1080p... I mean go for it if you find one in that budget, but for your price range you're more likely to get a better name brand lcd @720p and you'd never see a difference. I promise

Disagree with this. At 23-24" pixel density is going to make a difference.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    As long as you don't mind compromising on the speakers, do this:

http://www.amazon.com/LG-E2360V-PN-Glossy-BackLight-Monitor/dp/B0045UEXCC/ref=sr_1_5?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1327443999&sr=1-5

A 1080p 23" monitor for less than $300 is super easy to find. That's an LED one, for $166.

spool32 on