As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mass Effect] FemShep Trailer Released. USE SPOILER TAGS

• SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Yeah, when I did my failshep adept run, I was using them to set up warp bombs constantly. With this soldier, I fire off their powers at the start of a fight then sorta forget about them while I'm shooting mans.
    I wish there was a stronger indicator of their cooldowns being up. I know they (sometaimes?) say something, but a flash in the corner of the screen would be better IMO.
    (cue someone saying their portraits actually do light up, I just haven't noticed it)

SaraLuna on
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    chiasaur11 wrote:
    Geth. Not war focused, and no idea what they have in the way of a fleet, but they have tech.

If you read the planet descriptions in ME2, it seems like the Geth have a massive fleet. United, they've probably got the largest potential military presence in the galaxy.

The Geth heretics, you know, the ones that curbstomped the Citadel fleet? Less than 5% of the total Geth force.

I feel no shame about blowing their base to hell. If any races need to have their wings clipped for the safety of the galaxy, it's the Geth and Krogans. Exponential growth and all that.

Considering they're synthetics too, I'd place them on the same the same level of susceptibility as the Rachni to indoctrination. Remember that, "the heretics wrote a virus that can reprogram us all to serve the Reapers?" now imagine a Reaper fleet trying to accomplish the same thing.

Basically I'm going to be focusing on getting the...
    Turians: Reliable space Romans with the highest number of dreadnoughts.
    Asari: Most powerful crack infantry fighters who can likely cause massive damage to any ground force.
    Salarians: Annoying ankle biters who can really screw things up with STG.
    Quarians: Biggest organic fleet in the galaxy, handy for cannon fodder.
    Humans: Goes without saying, but human fleet doctrine is very flexible and guerrilla oriented.

Krogans are powerful but too unpredictable in large numbers, Geth are nice but a huge liability, Rachni have the willpower of Lyndsay Lohan and Batarians exist only as skulls to toss under the treads of the Reapers to slow them down.

Go on, tell me I'm wrong.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I'm going to try to get everyone working together.

Bar that I'll probably just wing it.

• ILMTitanILMTitan Registered User regular
    playing on insanity really illustrates how terrible the teammate ai is.
    if squad power use is on, they should be using their damn powers whenever the cooldown lapses. (preferably at my current target, but using it at all is better than not)
    if I wanted to micromanage my whole team, I would have checked the "force me to micromanage" box
    left to her own devices, miranda will fire off a warp about once every 2 minutes (but only if she isn't dead from charging into a group of 3+ enemies)

Best thing I found out about using squadmate powers was pressing Q or E while pointing at an enemy will cause them to use the correct power immediately, with no need to bind squad powers to the quickbar.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    yeah on insanity, squadmembers are basically just mobile platforms for two additional powers. I usually have them hide behind cover at a good distance and just fire warp/whatever else at appropriate times.

Except on missions with husks; then grunt gets to play wrecking ball

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote:
    Geth. Not war focused, and no idea what they have in the way of a fleet, but they have tech.

If you read the planet descriptions in ME2, it seems like the Geth have a massive fleet. United, they've probably got the largest potential military presence in the galaxy.

The Geth heretics, you know, the ones that curbstomped the Citadel fleet? Less than 5% of the total Geth force.

I feel no shame about blowing their base to hell. If any races need to have their wings clipped for the safety of the galaxy, it's the Geth and Krogans. Exponential growth and all that.

Considering they're synthetics too, I'd place them on the same the same level of susceptibility as the Rachni to indoctrination. Remember that, "the heretics wrote a virus that can reprogram us all to serve the Reapers?" now imagine a Reaper fleet trying to accomplish the same thing.

Asari: Most powerful crack infantry fighters who can likely cause massive damage to any ground force.
    Humans: Goes without saying, but human fleet doctrine is very flexible and guerrilla oriented.

Krogans are powerful but too unpredictable in large numbers, Geth are nice but a huge liability, Rachni have the willpower of Lyndsay Lohan and Batarians exist only as skulls to toss under the treads of the Reapers to slow them down.

The Geth can't be indoctrinated it's silly to assume Legion didn't immediately tell it's entire race they were susceptible to a minor math error after the mission was over. They already don't trust the reapers.

The Rachni indoctrination issue is complicated. It seems like the actual queens weren't but the soldiers and drones were if the Rachni Queen on Noveria's memories are accurate.

Past that I really disagree that the Asari are reliable. Every other Asari is either a blood thirsty merc/business person or a stripper/merc it's pretty clear they are as a whole a race on a power trip. Their policies regarding the council are hilariously absurd( For example the council membership policy is utterly retarded and guess who made it ?) they'll be more of a hindrance in the long run.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    It sounded like the queens could be indoctrinated; the one we met only avoided it because she wasn't alive yet. I'm not sure how they have low willpower or whatever either; it's not like there's a race out there that's resisted indoctrination.

as far as the geth go, I trust the geth a lot farther than I trust a lot of the organic species. Besides, shepard's more machine now than human; do you trust the organics to just welcome you back, once they don't need you anymore?

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    the problem is that if you indoctrinate the queen, by proxy you have indoctrinated all the other rachni under her mind control

PNk1Ml4.png
    The Geth can't be indoctrinated it's silly to assume Legion didn't immediately tell it's entire race they were susceptible to a minor math error after the mission was over. They already don't trust the reapers.

The Rachni indoctrination issue is complicated. It seems like the actual queens weren't but the soldiers and drones were if the Rachni Queen on Noveria's memories are accurate.

Past that I really disagree that the Asari are reliable. Every other Asari is either a blood thirsty merc/business person or a stripper/merc it's pretty clear they are as a whole a race on a power trip. Their policies regarding the council are hilariously absurd( For example the council membership policy is utterly retarded and guess who made it ?) they'll be more of a hindrance in the long run.

There's a difference in being 'aware' of cancer and being immune to it. Geth can already be hacked in universe temporarily by freakin omnitools. Think a Reaper can't do the same? With longer lasting results?

Rachni are too centralized to be of any use beyond cannon fodder.

The Asari we've seen are pirates and private mercs. The Asari military is universally feared and beat the ever-loving crap out of the Krogans from the codex entries we've read about the Krogan Rebellions. Asari commando teams are feared as the best small unit commando teams in the galaxy. Perfect for asymmetrical warfare, not to mention their fleet (Destiny Ascension's Worf Effect aside, their military is super big and super dangerous).

Any word on if we get another BLUR trailer or the like before release?

• SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    There's a difference in being 'aware' of cancer and being immune to it. Geth can already be hacked in universe temporarily by freakin omnitools. Think a Reaper can't do the same? With longer lasting results?

Yeah, I don't know what Legion could tell them. "Uh, hey guys, don't ever make any miscalculations." And whatever else, the rachni queen is goddamn huge, if that's what we briefly saw in the GTTV footage. Her carrying Wrex into battle would be like, two dead reapers a second, just from heart attacks.
    Vicktor wrote:
    Then Shepard gets to assign a military commander to coordinate/lead the Batarian attacks against the Reapers. Shepard sends Zaeed.

Exquisite.

s7Imn5J.png
    edited January 2012
    http://www.barnesandnoble.com/container/stores.asp?PID=41929
    From 1/23/12 - 2/20/12, when you pre-order a copy of The Art of Mass Effect Universe, you will receive a code to download extra game content for Mass Effect 3 on either PC or Xbox 360. This will include the collector's rifle, among other cool content to beat out your opponents.
    I mean, I was gonna buy this book anyway, but how shitty is (apparently) retailer-exclusive dlc for preordering a book?

more info:
    http://www.darkhorse.com/Blog/804/mass-effect-3-art-and-download-codes
    collectorgun.jpg

SaraLuna on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I have a question: I played the everliving shit out of ME1 and 2...on Xbox. When I buy ME3, it will be on my first nice PC. I see that I'm able to download a Sheperd so I can pick up my old choices on Xbox for ME2. Will I be able to play ME3? I haven't been willing to play ME2 again on PC for another save, especially since I would have to rebuy the DLC on PC.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    man i ain't never gonna get all the guns

whatevs

i ain't care about all these assault rifles

assault rifles are for dorks

there are apparently tools for extracting an xbox save (from a thumb drive) to a pc save.
    barring that, I'm sure there will be sites to download import saves

edited January 2012
    http://www.masseffect2saves.com/

Anyway, I didn't get the Collectors' edition for ME2, but I'm pretty sure the CAR was just a more accurate Avenger, which is not impressive. All the more because the only reason I like the Avenger is how it looks, so replacing that with another sculpted turd cannon is not an improvement.

Plus, since the CAR was listed as a non-DLC weapon in the list leak (obviously not authoritative) and the BN description makes it sound like that's MP-only, it might be in SP anyway, and unless they've dramatically retooled its stats I wouldn't use it in either. Edit: Although the DLC tags in that list were probably just added by users based on existing knowledge, and the gun being all or none is more likely than being in one mode and DLC for the other, so that's probably the way of it.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    http://www.barnesandnoble.com/container/stores.asp?PID=41929
    From 1/23/12 - 2/20/12, when you pre-order a copy of The Art of Mass Effect Universe, you will receive a code to download extra game content for Mass Effect 3 on either PC or Xbox 360. This will include the collector's rifle, among other cool content to beat out your opponents.
    I mean, I was gonna buy this book anyway, but how shitty is (apparently) retailer-exclusive dlc for preordering a book?

more info:
    http://www.darkhorse.com/Blog/804/mass-effect-3-art-and-download-codes
    collectorgun.jpg

I don't like how they're spreading all of this dlc over buying physical objects. Next thing I'm going to have to buy Domino's pizza to unlock the pizza delivery armor. Not cool.

edited January 2012
    Most of it will probably be available separately afterward, hopefully on a quicker time schedule than ME2's. I wouldn't worry about it.

Granted, I am incredibly weak and switched my preorder to Gamestop on the possibility that their stuff wouldn't release (again), or that the following scenario would occur in which I'd be buying a DLC pack for one item only: the four N7 weapons included in the collector's edition cover all weapon classes except AR (the Gamestop one), so there will probably be a separate pack of all 5 N7 weapons later on.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Honestly, most of the dlc guns just look like reskins of guns already in the game anyway.

I mean I already ordered the artbook because I got it on the cheap but I can't say I care much abot the CR I never used it because it was so ugly.

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote:
    Honestly, most of the dlc guns just look like reskins of guns already in the game anyway.

I mean I already ordered the artbook because I got it on the cheap but I can't say I care much abot the CR I never used it because it was so ugly.

I'm beginning to think that ME3 is going to have a massive number of weapons. That would mean that all of these weapons, however cool they are, have to be taken into context of a game where they the DLC represent a handful among multitudes.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Dragkonias wrote:

It's a hench-gun, because Shepard uses either the Revenant or the Mattock.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
    Plus alongside the already awesome ME2 guns (Rev, Widow, etc.), and the new ones (Javelin, electric pistol, etc.), the superior ME2 DLC weaponry like the Mattock and Locust are in to begin with, as well. If those are anything like their mid-trilogy counterparts, it'll be stiff competition for new guns.

s7Imn5J.png
  • ValleoValleo Registered User regular
    I'm wondering if any of these guns will be useable in the multiplayer, thus providing some sort of small advantage.

I mean, it's co-op not versus, the multi is supposed to be a small part of the game and the differences between weapons look minimal, but still. I'm sure people would complain.

Plus the black widow is probably a SUPER widow.

Gooood.

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    the black widow actually shoots spiders

PNk1Ml4.png
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    I'll admit, that armor from the demo whose name I can't spell looks pretty sweet.

I will use it in multi.

newSig.jpg
  • Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    I'm beginning to think that ME3 is going to have a massive number of weapons. That would mean that all of these weapons, however cool they are, have to be taken into context of a game where they the DLC represent a handful among multitudes.

As long as they're actually different guns and not just infinite recolors of the same 2 models.

• NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    I also wonder if they're gonna stick with the "no other means to get these" thing (only way to get Terminus armor/Black hole gun on 360 was to preorder at Gamestop, Collector's weapons only available to special editions, etc. Except for the Dr. pepper items, the special weapons/armor could only be gotten a specific way).

newSig.jpg
  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular

I disagree. From what you've done previously it would seem that the virus arch will make the geth resistant to software rewrites and the rachnii queen, knowing what the reapers did previously, knows how to sing a new song that will prevent their current ones from being soured. My only problem with these two races is that the reaper per se are giant robotic ships. ground forces arent going to do squat here.

looking at the other races:

batarians: have a huge huge living ship. if this doesnt feature somehow (either you side with the batarians or you tell them to go diaf and then steal said ship) i would be very surprised.
    Asari: They have the Destiny Ascension. Biggest ship with the biggest gun that isnt the leviathan or a reaper. Commandos will be useless versus giant space robots.
    Turians: Soldiers whose lines cannot be broken with the most dreadnoughts. need these guys.
    salarians: inferior troops. perhaps useful for last minute scientific breakthrough to wreck reaper tech. But tbh shep has been going on and on about reapers for years, they've had their chance to contribute, they didn't, sucks to be you, good night!
    Quarians: have ships, technological whizzkids. will solve reaper hardware obstructions and hell duct tape some weapons on each ship, even it if it's only...
    Volus (Launchers): Little fat money hungry bastards are useless. EXCEPT their suits are under high pressure. fire these little space jews at the reapers and you have improvised explosive munitions.
    Hanar/Drell: Can't assassinate or strangle a reaper i'm afraid!
    Krogans/Yahg: Can't manhandle a reaper i'm afraid! plus these guys would make annoying husks.
    Humans: 2nd largest dreadnought fleet. then again .. the reapers are invading earth as me3 begins, we can assume humanity's fleet and command structure won't be in tip top shape, i suggest we sacrifice earth to buy some time. After the reapers have been destroyed shep gets to colonise an eden world on his own with the remaining surviving female population. He deserves it, dammit!

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    edited January 2012
    Ground forces will be pretty useful against armies of husk monsters. And I can't believe you're underestimating the Blasto recruitment mission. When you start it, your squad will arrive on the hanar homeworld only to find masses of floating husk corpses and reaper parts, while Blasto lounges about smoking six cigars simultaneously.

And I said it earlier, but I doubt we'll see the Leviathan of Dis. If every minor nerd reference made in these videogames entailed a realized Chekov's gun as the rule applies to the more rigorous placement in theatre, we'll be drowning in subplots. As cool as it would be to blaze into the batarian empire and hijack a ship (which I'll secretly hope for until release), it was probably just a Farscape nod.
    -Tal wrote:

A quarian cannon, then.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Is a widow-wielding Infiltrator supposed to break the Shadow Broker fight over her knee? I shot a few times, and he went down. I don't think he even scratched me. This hardcore version was easier than every normal battle I've had with an engineer, vanguard, sentinel, etc.

• evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    Ground forces will be pretty useful against armies of husk monsters. And I can't believe you're underestimating the Blasto recruitment mission. When you start it, your squad will arrive on the hanar homeworld only to find masses of floating husk corpses and reaper parts, while Blasto lounges about smoking six cigars simultaneously.

And I said it earlier, but I doubt we'll see the Leviathan of Dis. If every minor nerd reference made in these videogames entailed a realized Chekov's gun as the rule applies to the more rigorous placement in theatre, we'll be drowning in subplots. As cool as it would be to blaze into the batarian empire and hijack a ship (and which I'll secretly hope for until release), it was probably just a Farscape nod.
    -Tal wrote:

A quarian cannon, then.

There's a difference between comical new involving people falling out of cars and into huge venting systems and a giant spaceship of death that covered the news for 3 weeks.
    How can you not expect this to show up in me3.
    i just want to strangle you!

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    Asari: They have the Destiny Ascension.

heh

• curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    my shepard got upgraded with a platinum tongue

scientifically better than silver

combine that with my multiplayer vanguard prowess and i'm saving everyone

except the Vile Batarians

actually i'll probably save them too, because the reapers are all about harvesting all organic life

can you imagine a 4 eyed reaper

WAIT

SHIT

THEY ALL HAVE 4 EYES

BATARIANS INVENTED THE REAPERS HOLY SHIT

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    Asari: They have the Destiny Ascension if you are a competent player with a brain.

heh

Are you the magic man?
  • Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    I think it would be weird if that huge living ship played any role seeing as it is a Farscape reference.

Is a widow-wielding Infiltrator supposed to break the Shadow Broker fight over her knee? I shot a few times, and he went down. I don't think he even scratched me. This hardcore version was easier than every normal battle I've had with an engineer, vanguard, sentinel, etc.
    I don't know

vanguard and engineer at least both have a pretty easy go of it as well

it's been a while since I've run an infiltrator through it, but I feel like infiltrator would need to worry about positioning somewhat, which the vanguard does not

(is charge on cooldown? shoot. is charge not on cooldown? CHARGE.)

• SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    evilthecat wrote:
    the batarians have that biologicalsuperdoomsdayship that will in all likelyhood be a big variable in an all out gunfight with the reaper armada.
    I've played through all the content DLC and still don't know what this is talking about.

steam_sig.png
    edited January 2012
    jdarksun wrote:
    It's an obscure reference from a book that got one line in a planet's info dump and some folk think it's the key to defeating the Reapers.
    to be fair

one line from an ME1 planet's info dump turned out to be a key plot point in ME2

Elendil on
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote:
    Which?

The planet with the bullet scar, I think.