As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[ChemistryOn!] SpaceChem! Demo on Steam, good for four hours.

• MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Garthor wrote:
    You don't need a way to manually clear the hydrogen, you just need fail-safe reactors, so that instead of causing a collision when the output is full, it just stalls. Generally, that means you have liberal sync instructions so things don't progress until the output manages to go out.

True. I used that for my solution of the World 8 final stage to run automatically. Looking at my two key reactors, I think the ratio of inputs did require my micromanagement. Oh well.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    So, I went to KOH-whatever to execute my plan last night... only to find the plan unusable entirely. It hinged on... ready for it?... flip-flops to create and L-shaped set of 4 Si through one output while sending out a fifth on it's own.

Apparently I had forgotten I don't have flip-flops in that stage. They are funny things, flip-flops. When they were first introduced I thought they seemed... of little use. Now, I'm constantly wishing I had them when I don't.

edited November 2011
    KOHCTPYKTOP goes down! I thought my solution was going to be utterly terrible - but it turned out to have pretty average cycle count at 17,091.

The best part is the absolute ridiculousness that is my Reactor 2. BEHOLD!
    ?.jpg

APODionysus on
  • Simon MoonSimon Moon Registered User regular
    I love how the further I get in this game, the sparser the population of my leaderboards, but I've finally reached a stage for which said board is empty. Ω-Pseudoethyne. I open the level, stare at it for a couple minutes, and then just close the whole game.

Someday, though, someday, that score list will have a population of one.

Steam: simon moon
  • ZedarZedar Registered User regular
    Haha, those levels are the point where I gave up. I could do a few of the levels, but the one where one of the reactors feeds back into itself has me beaten. I think I'm close to a solution after many hours trying, but the amount of restructuring my current solution that it would require is too exhausting. And this is before I've even started on the second reactor.

steam_sig.png
    edited November 2011
    I just figured that one out. I didn't use the feedback loop at all. In fact, I have no idea how you would actually use that. What took me the longest was figuring out where to put the sensor nodes to be most useful.

Also: man, I would love a "delete everything in this reactor" button. Sometimes, I just don't want to delete 90-something symbols by hand.

Simon Moon on
    edited November 2011
    Drag a box around them to select them all, hit delete :)

Edit for content: But yeah, I don't think I'll be using the feedback loop at all. The part I'm stuck on is finding a clean way of breaking up the variable input where you get the three different shaped blocks. I think I've worked it out as I said, I just can't be bothered trying it.

Zedar on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2011
    I... I... Ive never considered the possibility of doing a feedback loop.

Thats... insane. My God. I just never even considered it as a thing you could do.

Wow.
    Simon Moon wrote:
    I open the level, stare at it for a couple minutes, and then just close the whole game.

I still have that reaction every time I look at the third Moustache level. I know Ive done harder stages at this point, but that one just makes me go "No. No way." for some reason.

APODionysus on
    edited November 2011
    This was a triumph. Thought I was never going to get rid of those 28 cycles.
    ?.jpg

Simon Moon on
  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    My laptop died and Spacechem doesn't crash my desktop anymore so I've been replaying this. I've decided that I don't have enough people on my leader boards for this game. Be my friend, please.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
    Simon Moon wrote:
    This was a triumph. Thought I was never going to get rid of those 28 cycles.
    ?.jpg

You motivated me to go finish the level with the loopback in it, though my time was absolutely horrendous. The boss level looks... interesting.

steam_sig.png
    Well, I finally got the Molecular Foundry with 2 reactors challenge. That leaves me with no choice now but to put my mind to Dont Fear the Reaper. May the Newell be with me.

• ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    End of the Line. Not enough reactors! Not enough reactors!

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
    Wow, the difficulty is really shooting up on the final world.

I'm working on the second research mission, and had to scrap two entire plans - hours of work - before landing on one that I think will work.
    My red Waldo - aided by some synced bond commands on the blue waldo, creates two H-C-Delta-H molecules and drops them side by side in nullspace. Works cleanly and even efficiently enough - 67 cycles to create the pair.

Now I just have to get the blue Waldo to grab those molecules, doublebond them together on the bonder set the red Waldo was using and assemble the sets in the output area - and use the sensor effectively to output the damn thing when it's done.

Much progress has been made. I'm stuck on "Told You So" in the main campaign. I'll get it eventually but... jeez.

However, what I wanted to talk about was the Corvi DLC. I just finished off the whole thing yesterday and enjoyed it immensely of course - I even have some great cycle counts on a few of them.

I was curious though. Anyone play the one where you make Methane - QT4 I believe? I solved it with good cycles, but there is something I just don't get.

So you need to output Methane across the barrier, right? Your inputs are Carbon and... Methane.

Why is that Carbon input there? I didn't use it at ALL. They are literally handing be Methane. I just has to teleport it over and reassemble it. I can't think of anyway to use that extra carbon that would make my reactor more efficient.

Yet it's there. Staring at me. There must be a way to use it to do things better, right? Right? It couldn't be there just to drive me mad, could it?

Anyway, all that's left for me in terms of the campaign is I Told You So, the two Flidais Assembly missions... and whatever the last mission is called (I'm guessing "End of the Line" from ronya's post). I'm at right about 70 hours in this game which means it's absorbed more of my life than any Steam game with the exception of Super Meat Boy (116 hours)

• LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Echoing the hate for Ω-Pseudoethyene. Just sorting out that carbomega mess has me stumped, let alone supplying the needed hydrogen and assembling the final product. :cry:

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    Much progress has been made. I'm stuck on "Told You So" in the main campaign. I'll get it eventually but... jeez.

However, what I wanted to talk about was the Corvi DLC. I just finished off the whole thing yesterday and enjoyed it immensely of course - I even have some great cycle counts on a few of them.

I was curious though. Anyone play the one where you make Methane - QT4 I believe? I solved it with good cycles, but there is something I just don't get.

So you need to output Methane across the barrier, right? Your inputs are Carbon and... Methane.

Why is that Carbon input there? I didn't use it at ALL. They are literally handing be Methane. I just has to teleport it over and reassemble it. I can't think of anyway to use that extra carbon that would make my reactor more efficient.

Yet it's there. Staring at me. There must be a way to use it to do things better, right? Right? It couldn't be there just to drive me mad, could it?

Anyway, all that's left for me in terms of the campaign is I Told You So, the two Flidais Assembly missions... and whatever the last mission is called (I'm guessing "End of the Line" from ronya's post). I'm at right about 70 hours in this game which means it's absorbed more of my life than any Steam game with the exception of Super Meat Boy (116 hours)

Regarding QT4:
    The method I used was to essentially peel the hydrogens off the Methane on the left, and reattach them on the right, one at a time. However, this requires starting with a carbon atom, which you can't get from the methane, as that would cause the hydrogens to all become loose and harder to deal with. So, I grab one carbon at the very start to prime the cycle. This doesn't really save cycles necessarily, but it simplifies things a good deal.

• SkyEyeSkyEye Registered User regular
    Quick question to anyone who got the moustachium achievements, how long did it take to get your corresponding TF2 items afterwards? B/c I don't even play TF2 and I'm worried that my first two alloy bars are lost forever to the aether.

Steam: Autumn_Thunder - SC2: AutumnThundr.563 (NA) - Hearthstone: AutumnThundr.1383

• ContentContextContentContext Registered User regular
    Picked this up during the holiday sale. It's absolutely amazing. I probably spend more time optimizing levels than it takes to initially beat them. Part of that might be me delaying tackling the next problem. I have a choice of Exploding Head Syndrome and Applied Fusion. Think I'll try to get under 2200 cycles on that one level...

• AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    In case anyone's stuck but wants to know the full story, it was posted up on the Zachtronics Industries site a few days back.

It's just the text from the logs in game, nothing more and nothing less.

steam_sig.png
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    I picked this up again and went to look at my old solutions instead of trying the last campaign level (I'm just too dumb for it). Holy crap my old stuff is inefficient. Had fun for an hour cleaning up old solutions, and I'll probably go back tomorrow morning and do the same. And I like the idea of Research.Net but I think they're assuming that I know tricks that were never necessary in the main game so I get stuck a lot.

camo_sig2.png
  • SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    Was looking at some of my leaderboards today. Normally I'm in the middle, but somehow this has happened:
    ?.jpg
    I guess this is a challenge for that level / an invitation for more friends to fill up the lists.

I just got to the first production level with fusion reactors and had to take a break. Earlier I thought I had the final tf2 promo level almost done, but I had overlooked something early and had to start from scratch.

• hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    @pablo_price

Add me if you want to feel even better about yourself! I could use some learderboard motivation to get farther into this game, not very many of my friends play it I don't think.

edited January 2012
    Since you challenged me, I made mine better. No idea how @lowlylowlycook did it with only 2 reactors though.
    ?.jpg

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
    got to the kraken boss. this would be so easy with a fusion & a sensor in the same reactor...

Close to M608 achievement solution:
    2012-01-23_00001.jpg

Am I on the right track? Or am I boxing myself in somehow?

Also, send invites on Steam so you can be on my SpaceChem friends leaderboard! I feel so alone :cry:

Steam: Autumn_Thunder - SC2: AutumnThundr.563 (NA) - Hearthstone: AutumnThundr.1383

@pablo_price: I think I have you beat there, sorry :P

• hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Ok, well I had to go and try it too. Only using 2 reactors was the easy part....the hard part was the obscene amount of cycles I apparently used.

edit: no idea how to get this screenshot to work, I completely forgot how (it's been a long day)

http://steamcommunity.com/id/hatedinamerica/screenshot/595834676684701924

hatedinamerica on
    This thread is evil. I've been revisiting old solutions all night, looking at my place on the leaderboard, and then trying to make my solutions better. I HAVE OTHER GAMES TO PLAY, SPACECHEM!

camo_sig2.png
    Simon Moon wrote:
    I love how the further I get in this game, the sparser the population of my leaderboards, but I've finally reached a stage for which said board is empty. Ω-Pseudoethyne. I open the level, stare at it for a couple minutes, and then just close the whole game.

Someday, though, someday, that score list will have a population of one.

That's how it's been, as I've gotten further along. I look at a stage and give up, then a possible solution will hit me, in the shower or in the middle of a conversation. The game gets in your head.

this goddamned game. spend 20-40 minutes finishing a level and think "hey I'm pretty clever" only to load the next one and have the game kick you in the balls and whisper "nope, you're actually dumb as shit" in your ear while you're rolling on the ground

No no no, don't bump this thread. I had escaped this game. I was free.

I should really have a go at the boss level I reached last time I played...

steam_sig.png
    Going back to earlier levels and applying the things you've learned since is awesome. Especially since it's the only way to remain competitive on your friend's leaderboard.

The only problem I have is that I prefer nice, aesthetically pleasing times. For example, I got a time of 666 on the Nothing Works level. It's definitely possible to get a lower score, but not a better one.

edited January 2012
    SpaceChem3-6.jpg

The second pic link in the OP is broken, you can use this one. It's also way less terrifying for people looking into the game.

SkyEye on

Zedar wrote:
    No no no, don't bump this thread. I had escaped this game. I was free.

I should really have a go at the boss level I reached last time I played...

YEP.

I was free too. I have everything done by the last 'research' mission, the boss and the two assembly missions on the last world. I figured I'd call it good enough.

Then you jerks bumped the thread.

Now all I can think about is going back to rhose last levels.

I have a backlog! Damn you SpaceChem!

Managed to get past 'More Than Machine'. Then I saw the flip flops and had to quit the game. I don't even think they're necessary for that first puzzle, but knowing they eventually will be was enough.

Managed to get past 'More Than Machine'. Then I saw the flip flops and had to quit the game. I don't even think they're necessary for that first puzzle, but knowing they eventually will be was enough.

Flip-flops are awesome. Yes, they are completely unnecessary for the first puzzle, but they are incredible.

I actually, when going back to old levels for Cheevos or just to improve my score, often found myself wishing I had flip-flops.

Flip-flops are awesome. Yes, they are completely unnecessary for the first puzzle, but they are incredible.

I actually, when going back to old levels for Cheevos or just to improve my score, often found myself wishing I had flip-flops.

When I went back and looked at "It Takes Three" (or something like that) I was wishing for them. The solution (that I can come up with) is so inefficient and messy without them.

camo_sig2.png
    so I thought this was a pretty inefficient way to do this, but then I got the achievement for that level anyway, so idk:
    ?.jpg

94Cib.jpg

This was my reactor for that part. I just put multiple grabs in the following reactors.