As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[East] Concerts Discussion Thread

SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
edited March 2012 in PAX Archive
Main Theatre Concerts FAQ

What is the schedule for bands performing?
The Friday/Saturday night concerts are scheduled to begin at 8:30pm. The line-up is more-or-less set in stone, but the times they will begin are dependent on many factors. Rough estimates are as follows:
• Friday Night
o 8:30pm – Supercommuter
o 9:30pm – Minibosses
o 10:30pm – Metroid Metal
o 11:30pm – Protomen
• Saturday Night
o 8:30pm – Video Game Orchestra (VGO)
o 9:30pm – Paul & Storm
o 10:30pm – Jonathan Coulton
o 11:30pm – MC Frontalot

When should I show up to see performance X?
The Main Theatre has a very high capacity during concerts, as well as a higher turnover than during panels. More often than not, you can simply walk right in. However, to be safer, for any given band, you should attempt to show up around a half an hour to an hour before they are scheduled to start (earlier if you want to be toward the front).

What happens if the theatre fills up?
We do take count of attendance, and new admission will be temporarily denied if the theatre is full. However, concerts tend to have high turnover, and new people will be allowed in on a roughly 25-out, 25-in schedule.

Are there medical badge accommodations for concerts?
Absolutely! Just like with any other panel, if you show up by around 15 minutes before the doors open, anyone with a medical badge will be allowed in early to find a seat. There will be seating in the back of the theatre, though it is very limited relative to the panel setup.

What is the policy on moshing?
Please don’t do it. PAX concerts are intended to be a fun, enjoyable experience for everyone. Moshing is not fun for everyone, and puts people at risk. If any violent or aggressive behavior is witnessed in the crowd, you will be asked to stop by an Enforcer. Repeated action will result in a minimum of removal of concerts. This applies to all concerts, even the hardcore bands like Metroid Metal. We simply ask that you control yourself and allow EVERYONE around you to have a good time!

Is food allowed in the concerts?
While food is not expressly prohibited, we ask that you use good sense and do not bring it into the crowded parts of the concert. Drinks (soda, water, etc.) are allowed, and are ok in the crowd, but please, if you bring food or drinks, do not leave them on the ground, especially in crowded areas. This often results in people tripping or slipping on them and potentially getting injured.

What if I see something potentially hazardous or have other questions/concerns?
This is the same at concerts as with anywhere else in PAX: talk to an Enforcer! Enforcers are friendly, and they are there to help and to do their best to make sure you have a great PAX experience.

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
SmallLady on

• septagonseptagon Registered User regular
    The Assassins Creed 2 theme would have to be what I hope they play most. Also, here's hoping the Protomen make an appearance one of the nights!

• testsubject23testsubject23 King of No Sleep ZzzzzzzRegistered User regular
    I expect we'll see more of the Protomen, MC Frontalot, and JoCo. They're the staple acts of the past few years.

It was already mentioned somewhere that Random/MegaRan will be there, too, but likely not on the main stage. I definitely don't want to miss that - Black Materia is one of my high rotation albums at the moment.

camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
  • ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I already knew VGO and Metroid Metal were going to be there. :P

But now we have this. I AM SO EXCITE! EFF YES PROTMEN!
    I'm also really glad that Supercommuter is opening on Saturday, they were awesome at Prime and could really use the exposure, because they didn't have a very big crowd before.

http://penny-arcade.com/2012/01/27/pax-east-concerts

Friday:
    VGO
    Protomen
    Metroid Metal
    Minibosses

Saturday:
    Supercommuter
    Paul & Storm
    Jonathan Coulton
    MC Frontalot
    It was already mentioned somewhere that Random/MegaRan will be there, too, but likely not on the main stage.

Keep an eye on the MAGFest feeds and any Jamspace news. I will say no more. xD

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • browncoatbethbrowncoatbeth Registered User regular
    No Anamanaguchi? I haz a sad. Still, seems like an otherwise stellar lineup.

"The bass, the rock, the mic, the treble, I like my coffee black just like my metal." - MSI
  • AngrypastaAngrypasta Registered User regular
    Damnit! JoCo on Saturday night again.

Gonna be tough choosing between that and Late Night with Scott & Kris :\ If they are doing it on Saturday again, that is.

• GunstarheroesGunstarheroes Registered User regular
    I am so pumped for Minibosses. I was concerned about it being the same line-up again, but both of the new added bands are totally worth it

• browncoatbethbrowncoatbeth Registered User regular
    Angrypasta wrote:

Gonna be tough choosing between that and Late Night with Scott & Kris :\ If they are doing it on Saturday again, that is.

Scott & Kris was AWESOME last year. I was able to sneak out during the latter part of VGO and be back by halfway thru Paul & Storm to attend part of the S&K panel. The concert line was negligible by that point. S&K were hilarious; I loved when Scott drunkenly called his brother and told him to "f*ck science".

"The bass, the rock, the mic, the treble, I like my coffee black just like my metal." - MSI
    Angrypasta wrote:

Scott & Kris was AWESOME last year. I was able to sneak out during the latter part of VGO and be back by halfway thru Paul & Storm to attend part of the S&K panel. The concert line was negligible by that point. S&K were hilarious; I loved when Scott drunkenly called his brother and told him to "f*ck science".

Aha, yes! I had no idea what I was in for when I lined up for S&K - but between that, the toilet story, "doug" bombing Khoo's twitter, "Dial it in, Brian!", and everything else, there is no way I'm missing it this year haha.

I was at that panel until at least 2am (which turned to 3am - thanks a lot Daylight Savings), so I really didn't have the energy to go into the concert - though I think I remember seeing JoCo playing on the screens in hallways. We'll see.

• Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    Coldbrew wrote:
    I already knew VGO and Metroid Metal were going to be there. :P

But now we have this. I AM SO EXCITE! EFF YES PROTMEN!
    I'm also really glad that Supercommuter is opening on Saturday, they were awesome at Prime and could really use the exposure, because they didn't have a very big crowd before.

http://penny-arcade.com/2012/01/27/pax-east-concerts

Friday:
    VGO
    Protomen
    Metroid Metal
    Minibosses

Saturday:
    Supercommuter
    Paul & Storm
    Jonathan Coulton
    MC Frontalot
    It was already mentioned somewhere that Random/MegaRan will be there, too, but likely not on the main stage.

Keep an eye on the MAGFest feeds and any Jamspace news. I will say no more. xD

Yeah, the issue with Supercomputer closing at Prime was they followed Joco. I bet half the people who left thought JoCo was the closer and the other half weren't the type of crowd who would enjoy supercommuter.

Also yes, they totally did rock.

E6LkoFK.png

• blAAAm!!!blAAAm!!! Cleveland, OhioRegistered User regular
    cant wait to see Protomen again. I saw them for the first time at the PPP at Prime and they kick ass!

• ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Moe Fwacky wrote:
    Yeah, the issue with Supercomputer closing at Prime was they followed Joco. I bet half the people who left thought JoCo was the closer and the other half weren't the type of crowd who would enjoy supercommuter.

Also yes, they totally did rock.

Pretty much. Well JoCo was the popular one that night, really I just think it was setup so the biggest performer wouldn't leave people staying up so late to see them; same thing the previous night with The Minibosses closing. Seems to me they're going back to what the concerts were like in '07 and '08, keep the not-as-popular bands up last so not everybody has to sit through them and stay up all night to see the big groups.
    blAAAm!!! wrote:
    cant wait to see Protomen again. I saw them for the first time at the PPP at Prime and they kick ass!

Be glad you got to see them perform outside of PAX, because their PAX shows are a bit different (i.e. they so far have yet to play any cover songs). But you'll still be in for a treat!

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    I guess I could see Supercommuter, leave, then come back for Front but that's a hassle. Sigh!

Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • KorvasKorvas Registered User regular
    I so can't wait for minibosses!!!

• Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    YES PROTOMEN

SO EXCITED

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • testsubject23testsubject23 King of No Sleep ZzzzzzzRegistered User regular
    Chorazin wrote:
    I guess I could see Supercommuter, leave, then come back for Front but that's a hassle. Sigh!

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. SC and Front are MUST see for me, but JoCo... I'm just not a fan.

Also Protomen on Friday night. Won't be missin' that.

I haven't heard of the Minibosses yet... gonna have to check them out.

camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
  • Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Now that I'm a bit more coherent...

Guys! There's probably going to be a major Protomen fans meetup on Friday! Right now it's the Tumblr contingent of Protofans that's organizing this, but I can keep you posted here. You're (prrrobably?) welcome to show up. And if nothing else, I'll see you at the concert (I'll be dressed as that particular version of Megaman, so I'll be hard to miss)

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • zombiechronzombiechron Zebesian Mind Smuggler Miskatonic UniveristyRegistered User regular
    I'm really excited for this line-up. What is this I hear about a second stage?

ZILTOID
  • RealPlumpBoxRealPlumpBox Burlington, CTRegistered User regular
    I remeber seeing Freezepop and Optimus Rhyme a couple of times. I would have loved to see them again. Also if they ever got MC Chris to show up to a PAX shit would be off the hook.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MC Chris has played PAX before, not since '06 I think though. I agree about Freezepop though, would love to see them at PAX again. They were talking about doing a show in Boston on the weekend of PAX, so I guess just keep an eye on their twitter or something.

NSw0gum.png
    I remeber seeing Freezepop and Optimus Rhyme a couple of times. I would have loved to see them again. Also if they ever got MC Chris to show up to a PAX shit would be off the hook.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mc chris isn't super dynamic for being on the main stage, it's basically just him and a laptop. I saw him in a tiny venue in Philly in the Fall, which was awesome, but he'd be a little underwhelming an stage at PAX.

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    Angrypasta wrote:

Last I knew Kurtz had tweeted that he won't be at PAX East this year so it may be a non-choice.

• Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    Chorazin wrote:

mc chris isn't super dynamic for being on the main stage, it's basically just him and a laptop. I saw him in a tiny venue in Philly in the Fall, which was awesome, but he'd be a little underwhelming an stage at PAX.

MC Chris played pax back in 05. He was set up to play again in 08 or 09 i think, but backed out about 2 weeks before the show to tour with somebody else. After that fiasco, I doubt he'll be asked back again.

E6LkoFK.png

• cocowoushicocowoushi Registered User regular
    This is the perfect concert list. I only wish Minibosses were playing before MM. So excited to see Protomen again!

• LosarLosar Thane Vector, Rock Star Tucson, AZRegistered User regular
    Yeah, the Protomen weren't at MAGfest this year, so I haven't seen them since November. These are hard times, going more than 2-3 months without a robot-themed injection of Hope.

Seriously, it'll be great to catch up with those guys.

I'll probably be too busy to catch much of the concerts, but I'm making it a point to drag a few people to see Supercommuter if I can.

Isn't that informative!? Hooray!!
    cabsy wrote:
    Angrypasta wrote:

Last I knew Kurtz had tweeted that he won't be at PAX East this year so it may be a non-choice.

And Kris said in a G+ thread that we won't be there either.

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • dalaamprincedalaamprince Registered User regular
    Here's an introductory playlist I slapped together for the noobs -- http://grooveshark.com/playlist/PAX+East+2012+Concerts/66695574

• ironysparklesironysparkles Lowell, MARegistered User regular
    I also wish Anamanaguchi was playing, but I'm still excited for the regular guys/gals to be there. I haven't seen the Protomen since November, and I'm itching to.

I'm definitely not missing JoCo/Paul and Storm this year.

UyhWici.png
  • TopherRocksTopherRocks Rockstar Beard Grower Kent, OH or Long Island, NYRegistered User regular
    Protomen! They made a fan of me last year at PAX and I was lucky enough to catch them in NYC back in November. I asked one of them at that show if they'd be coming this year and I got a *wink, wink, nudge, nudge* kinda yes so I'm glad to see it officially announced!

• Blade FusionBlade Fusion Timmins, ONRegistered User regular
    I love this lineup. Going to be a great 2 nights of music. I still want to see Freezepop and The OneUps return though. The jazz that The OneUps brought to the stage was a very welcomed break from all the hard rock and metal. Don't get me wrong, I love the hard rock and metal but it's nice to hear some jazz video game tunes once in a while.

I love this lineup. Going to be a great 2 nights of music. I still want to see Freezepop and The OneUps return though. The jazz that The OneUps brought to the stage was a very welcomed break from all the hard rock and metal. Don't get me wrong, I love the hard rock and metal but it's nice to hear some jazz video game tunes once in a while.

Same here, I was so thrilled to see them a few weeks ago at MAGFest, but I'd really love to see them return to PAX too. They don't really do jazz much anymore though, pretty much their whole act changed since they last played PAX, but it's still amazing. You can check it out here if you want.

NSw0gum.png
    edited January 2012
    Chorazin wrote:
    cabsy wrote:
    Angrypasta wrote:

And Kris said in a G+ thread that we won't be there either.

Welp, I guess I'm going to both concerts then!

Angrypasta on
  • FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    Wow, I really like the fact that both JoCo and Front will be playing on the same evening!

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • Captain Spaulding IICaptain Spaulding II [E] Marlborough, MARegistered User regular
    Lineup looks good, but I'm disappointed by yet another Powerglove snub. You know they're gonna be there anyways and imho they're a lot less repetitive than Metroid Metal.

I think PA might be a bit reluctant to invite Powerglove to play main-stage because they cause and encourage mosh-pits, which is a huge no-no at PAX. Same with Armcannon, which is a shame because they are, imo, a couple of the best video-game music bands out there.

Keep an eye on the forum for an official Jamspace thread though, in theory they could get pretty much anybody to come in there and perform, and that definitely includes those aforementioned bands. xD

NSw0gum.png
  • zombiechronzombiechron Zebesian Mind Smuggler Miskatonic UniveristyRegistered User regular
    Yea but moshing =/= violence, especially in this kind of setting. Armcannon/Powerglove would rock some socks.

ZILTOID
  • NeuralLinkNeuralLink Registered User regular
    I enjoyed JoCo a lot at past PAXes until someone on this forum said that JoCo was not fun to watch anymore because it seemed like he wasn't enjoying himself. Then when I saw him at the next PAX, it seemed that the poster was right. I couldn't get into it after that.

• NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    Jamspace will have some good stuff this year, too! Stay tuned.

• FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    NeuralLink wrote:
    I enjoyed JoCo a lot at past PAXes until someone on this forum said that JoCo was not fun to watch anymore because it seemed like he wasn't enjoying himself. Then when I saw him at the next PAX, it seemed that the poster was right. I couldn't get into it after that.

Though I thoroughly enjoyed his performance at PAX East 2010 I could not help but think the same thing at first. My opinion changed however after I saw him in several different clips on the net (interviews, public footage, music videos, etc). I now believe he's very dedicated and passionate about what he does, he's just not very expressive as a person. He's also a very funny guy. At least that's my opinion.

I would not miss his show for the world, I enjoy buying his albums (the same goes for Front). It was one of the high points of my first PAX Concert and I plan to being there the next time. Back then I had to show up incredibly early to get my wrist band and I would do it again if that system was still in place. Gladly :)

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • budah02921budah02921 Registered User regular
    Wish I was going on friday now =/.
    Yea but moshing =/= violence, especially in this kind of setting. Armcannon/Powerglove would rock some socks.

I would LOVE to see them on the mainstage and not just Jamspace. The only problem is moshing kind of bothers other people. Especially ones who are cosplaying. One wrong push and their costume could easily be ruined. The moshing [to Powerglove] in Jamspace last year basically took half the room itself. There was some slight moshing to The Protomen last year and that definitely pissed off some people.

Anyways, I rather have bands like Armcannon and Powerglove stay in Jamspace. The intimate shows are the best. =)

edited January 2012

Moshing is always violence, and it's disturbing to everyone else who just wants to enjoy the show.

Like mc chris said when some asses tried to most at his show in Philly: "Hey assholes, people who come to my shows have been pushed around enough so stop."

Chorazin on
    Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin