As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EAST] PAX Pokemon League 2012: Rivals!

• feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    So I finally got myself through Victory Road and have saved my progress. That all done, I am now trying to level up my selected Pokemon to at least level 48.

• VolaroVolaro The Iron Gentleman Registered User regular
    Propriety wrote:
    You bet your britches I'm a leader, and I remember you! Mainly because that line was UNBELIEVABLY LONG. (Totally worth it for that aperture science shirt.) I look forward to seeing you again! Looking forward to your challenge!

Awesome! Wasn't too big of a competitor last year, but I'm aiming to fix that this year. Heard the Portal 2 stuff was pretty amazing for the line too, wish I'd have had the patience for that shirt.

• ProprietyPropriety PAX Pokemon League Leader! Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    A new gym leader has been posted! Head over to paxpokemonleague.net!

Propriety on
    That guy with the ridiculously long scarf at PAX. Say Hi!
    Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
  • JoveJove Registered User regular
    Yes I got my Snorlax! Aww yeah shit just got real.

In all seriousness though, so far my team looks pretty decent. I do however come with more questions in hopes of seeking more answers :D...

Apparently the only way to get a slaking was buying Pokemon white and get it in white forest, but I got black...can...anyone help me with this one? :(

Also I don't understand dream world or how to use it. I looked it up but I'm still lost. Can anybody explain that one to me? It seems I can get certain Pokemon there but I don't know what or how it works.

Lastly...actually that's really it. So far things are looking up. Im so pumped after getting my boy Snorlax :).

• RegimentRegiment Registered User regular
    Jove: The Dream World is a website (en.pokemon-gl.com) where you can send a Pokemon from B/W, play minigames, and transfer Pokemon to B/W. (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pokémon_Dream_World) It's a good way to get some interesting Pokemon with different Abilities.

I never lose, I just win sideways.
    Regiment wrote:
    Jove: The Dream World is a website (en.pokemon-gl.com) where you can send a Pokemon from B/W, play minigames, and transfer Pokemon to B/W. (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pokémon_Dream_World) It's a good way to get some interesting Pokemon with different Abilities.

Will I be able to send Pokemon like a charmander or Slaking to B/W from this dream world?

• HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    If you catch/befriend them in the dream world, you can transfer them into your game and catch them there as well.

I've never done it myself, but I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

edited January 2012
    Heleor wrote:
    If you catch/befriend them in the dream world, you can transfer them into your game and catch them there as well.

What in the name of actual what the heck?! How have you never used the Dream World?!

Jove, the way it works is that once you've made an account, you use the "Game Sync" option (blue on your C-Gear) to tuck in a pokemon. When they're asleep, you log on to http://en.pokemon-gl.com/, and you and your pokemon go into the Dream world. In the dream world, you've got a house with furniture (similar to the Secret Bases from Ruby/Sapphire and Diamond/Pearl) and you can grow berries. While you're walking around the Dream World, you'll encounter random pokemon (all basic pokemon, though, no evolved ones). When you do, you play a little minigame, and then you have the option of taking them back to your game or not, when you wake up your sleeping pokemon. You can only bring back one pokemon a day, and the types of pokemon you can bring back are limited (they add new ones fairly regularly). But all the pokemon you bring back have special dream-world only abilities.

Unfortunately, I checked and Slakoth isn't available in the dream world, and Charmander has only been made available through a special promotion in Japan.

I'm sure someone in this thread would be able to trade you a Slakoth and/or a Charmander, though. I don't have either unfortunately. I've got a Bulbasaur, but no Charmander.

I really need to get more residents in my White Forest... wish I had people nearby to visit in the Entralink....

Propriety on
    Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
    I don't have a Slakoth or Charmander, though you can transfer one from a Gen IV game - but then you need that game and another DS (and you might also need to import one from Gen III).

All of my Pokemon came from Gen V, the Dream World, or a promotion. I can't be bothered to do the transfers, unless I can find a friend who's willing to give up his DS for a while.

Regiment wrote:
    I don't have a Slakoth or Charmander, though you can transfer one from a Gen IV game - but then you need that game and another DS (and you might also need to import one from Gen III).

All of my Pokemon came from Gen V, the Dream World, or a promotion. I can't be bothered to do the transfers, unless I can find a friend who's willing to give up his DS for a while.

This used to be me. Then I got a 3DS for Christmas.

Best unintended side effect of getting a new system. Been breeding a bunch of my pokes from Heart Gold and transferring them.

Propriety wrote:
    Heleor wrote:

What in the name of actual what the heck?! How have you never used the Dream World?!

Jove, the way it works is that once you've made an account, you use the "Game Sync" option (blue on your C-Gear) to tuck in a pokemon. When they're asleep, you log on to http://en.pokemon-gl.com/, and you and your pokemon go into the Dream world. In the dream world, you've got a house with furniture (similar to the Secret Bases from Ruby/Sapphire and Diamond/Pearl) and you can grow berries. While you're walking around the Dream World, you'll encounter random pokemon (all basic pokemon, though, no evolved ones). When you do, you play a little minigame, and then you have the option of taking them back to your game or not, when you wake up your sleeping pokemon. You can only bring back one pokemon a day, and the types of pokemon you can bring back are limited (they add new ones fairly regularly). But all the pokemon you bring back have special dream-world only abilities.

Unfortunately, I checked and Slakoth isn't available in the dream world, and Charmander has only been made available through a special promotion in Japan.

I'm sure someone in this thread would be able to trade you a Slakoth and/or a Charmander, though. I don't have either unfortunately. I've got a Bulbasaur, but no Charmander.

I really need to get more residents in my White Forest... wish I had people nearby to visit in the Entralink....
    Regiment wrote:

Damn, and this is my first Pokemon game since blue/red/yellow :(. Not like I can transfer my Pokemon from there lol.

Well so far my first generation Pokemon gang is ALMOST complete anyway (Slaking would have been the only exception because I love lazy/sleeping pokemon). I somehow need to get my hands on that charmander. And as for slalking, I heard you could get a slakoth from Pokemon white in white forest. Anybody feeling generous and want to catch one and trade it to me? :D. I will...well I will like you a lot...which means you get free favors from me...that counts for something right?

• UWorldsUWorlds Registered User regular
    This year will be my first PAX, and I'm definitely looking forward to challenging the league!

Also, I do have a Charmander and Slakoth available for trade (I'd have to breed them up first, but that shouldn't take too much time). Jove (or anyone else), send me a PM if you want them. =)

• MorgansternMorganstern Registered User regular
    Jove wrote:
    Damn, and this is my first Pokemon game since blue/red/yellow :(. Not like I can transfer my Pokemon from there lol.

Well so far my first generation Pokemon gang is ALMOST complete anyway (Slaking would have been the only exception because I love lazy/sleeping pokemon). I somehow need to get my hands on that charmander. And as for slalking, I heard you could get a slakoth from Pokemon white in white forest. Anybody feeling generous and want to catch one and trade it to me? :D. I will...well I will like you a lot...which means you get free favors from me...that counts for something right?

Need pokemon for your dream team but don't know where to turn? Have I got a forum thread for you!

The PPL Trading Mega-Thread

UWorlds wrote:
    This year will be my first PAX, and I'm definitely looking forward to challenging the league!

Also, I do have a Charmander and Slakoth available for trade (I'd have to breed them up first, but that shouldn't take too much time). Jove (or anyone else), send me a PM if you want them. =)

Sent! :)
    Jove wrote:

Need pokemon for your dream team but don't know where to turn? Have I got a forum thread for you!

The PPL Trading Mega-Thread

Sweet, this helps too thanks :D.

• ScunosiScunosi WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Speaking of trading, I was kind of surprised at how little of it was going on during PAX; it was pretty much just battles with a little Extranet-thing going on. I guess ID codes aren't as big in this gen.? Not that winning those silly lotteries ever really got you much, but I always keep half a box or so of "extra" Pokemon to trade in case anyone wants them. No one did. :'(

In fact this is the only gen. in some time I still haven't finished for the regional Pokedex, since I've never found anyone with the White-equivalents to trade me.

Scunosi wrote:
    Speaking of trading, I was kind of surprised at how little of it was going on during PAX; it was pretty much just battles with a little Extranet-thing going on. I guess ID codes aren't as big in this gen.? Not that winning those silly lotteries ever really got you much, but I always keep half a box or so of "extra" Pokemon to trade in case anyone wants them. No one did. :'(

In fact this is the only gen. in some time I still haven't finished for the regional Pokedex, since I've never found anyone with the White-equivalents to trade me.

I always wanted to do this, too, collect a whole bunch of IDs and start winning Master Balls left and right. I also want to complete my National 'Dex, and I doubt I'll be able to do it without trading. You're right, very few people seemed to bother trading last year. I guess it's partially because trading takes longer ("what do you have? What do you need? I don't know if I've got that, let me see... oh, I need to breed one for you," etc) and battling is so satisfying. Also trading used to take forever, and be difficult... you had to put the pokemon in your party, you could only trade one at a time, it was terrible.

I do remember that last year there was a cool person going around offering Deinos to anyone who wanted one. I didn't have White yet, so I didn't get one. But that was kind of cool, she was like a roving Deino dealer.

I wish PAX Pokemon was bigger or had a more permanent location, so we could have a "trading zone" or something, where people would stop by, hang out, and JUST trade. We could post an "offer" list and a "wanted" list.... that would be really cool.

Or maybe we can all just have lots of hatched hard to get pokemon ready for trading (I could have a bunch of bulbasaurs, for example, or some offspring of members of my team SECRET LEADER TEAM) and offer them to people who need them to complete their 'dex.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    You could do that list in the handheld lounge... Leave your offer/wanted and a twitter handle for contact... Could tweet a hashtag after adding your stuff to the list.

Maybe have someone occasionally push the list to a google doc and tweet it.

I know I'll be bringing a good amount of Dark Pulse Deinos and Petal Dance Bulbasaurs for trading, might get a few more interesting ones later on. A big trade zone is something I approve of, though.

• MorgansternMorganstern Registered User regular
    At East '11 one of the Nintendo reps was trading eggs for the Gen 1-4 starter guys. First Squirtle I ever had!

Got my two new members thanks to UWorlds you freaking beast you!

• ShaderShader The Master Ranger Registered User regular
    Hello all! As my bio's just gone up I should probably introduce myself over here as well :3

I'm Shade from the PPL forums, and am honored to be playing Berri, the Master Ranger, for this PAX East! Head on over to our official page (paxpokemonleague.net for those who don't already have it bookmarked) to check out the sweet art and badge!

Maybe I'll breed a few eggs of interesting Pokemon and offer them blind. (Can you trade eggs?) I have a female Volcarona with a perfect Attack IV, and I could always breed up some Zorua or something too. I'll see if I can get some cool egg moves.

Maybe I'll also have some Geodude eggs, just to mess with people. "I got a Zorua!" "I got a Snivy!" "I got a rock."

edited January 2012
    @Shader

Heya and welcome. Looking forward to fighting ya. I'm very curious to see how the berry theme works out. :P Sounds pretty fun.

Volaro on
    Regiment wrote:
    Maybe I'll breed a few eggs of interesting Pokemon and offer them blind. (Can you trade eggs?) I have a female Volcarona with a perfect Attack IV, and I could always breed up some Zorua or something too. I'll see if I can get some cool egg moves.

Maybe I'll also have some Geodude eggs, just to mess with people. "I got a Zorua!" "I got a Snivy!" "I got a rock."

Aww... Charlie Brown as a pokemon trainer.

I like the idea of having a bunch of rare Pokemon pre-hatched and ready for trade throughout the event. I've already completed the national dex, so there isn't a whole lot I'm after (with the possible exception of Pokemon with egg moves), but I'd be more than willing to prepare a bunch of starters, rares, exclusives, dream world females, etc. for trade if anyone wants them. Heck, I'm even tempted to go dust off my Pokemon Colosseum bonus disc and grab a bunch of Jirachi to migrate up to the Gen 4/5 games if there'd be demand for them. =) I own a copy of both Black and White, so while Black will be home to all my big, bad, battlers, I could fill up the boxes in White with tradeables.

UWorlds wrote:
    ...I'd be more than willing to prepare a bunch of starters, rares, exclusives, dream world females, etc. for trade if anyone wants them. Heck, I'm even tempted to go dust off my Pokemon Colosseum bonus disc and grab a bunch of Jirachi to migrate up to the Gen 4/5 games if there'd be demand for them. =)

O_O

YOU ARE AMAZING.

UWorlds wrote:
    I like the idea of having a bunch of rare Pokemon pre-hatched and ready for trade throughout the event. I've already completed the national dex, so there isn't a whole lot I'm after (with the possible exception of Pokemon with egg moves), but I'd be more than willing to prepare a bunch of starters, rares, exclusives, dream world females, etc. for trade if anyone wants them. Heck, I'm even tempted to go dust off my Pokemon Colosseum bonus disc and grab a bunch of Jirachi to migrate up to the Gen 4/5 games if there'd be demand for them. =) I own a copy of both Black and White, so while Black will be home to all my big, bad, battlers, I could fill up the boxes in White with tradeables.

.....WHEN A MAAAAAAAAAANN, LOVES A WOM-...wait wrong song.

Well since you are generous and stuff...do you got any spare mewtwos, mew and lugias as well? XD. Oh and a squartle and bulbasaur just for the hell of it.

Propriety wrote:
    O_O

YOU ARE AMAZING.
    Heh, I guess that answers my question. I'll be sure to bring a bunch of Jirachi to trade, as well as other stuff. =)

Jove wrote:
    Well since you are generous and stuff...do you got any spare mewtwos, mew and lugias as well? XD. Oh and a squartle and bulbasaur just for the hell of it.
    Unfortunately, I don't have any extra Mew, Mewtwo, or Lugia to trade. Jirachi's the only legendary I'll be able to produce en masse (since it only takes 10-15 minutes to restart Sapphire, get the Jirachi, and trade it off, as opposed to other legendaries that require an entire playthrough of the game to get). I will be bringing starters for trade though, including Bulbasaurs and Squirtles, but I won't be trading too many of them away until PAX. Otherwise I won't have anything left to give out if I give it all out now. =P

I'm always up to trade for DW females, and will be bringing my own stock. I've also got some specially bred egg move pokes filling boxes-assuming I have time between battles I'll gladly trade a few away!

• ScunosiScunosi WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Geez you guys are fancy. When I trade just for IDs and funsies I just toss out random guys I have extras of, or version-exclusives I caught just for that purpose. I've never bothered with breeding much, since I tend to get attached to the Pokemon I raised while leveling; I wouldn't want to replace them just for a move or some stats.
    It's kind of silly I know, as it's not like the new games even have the old Heart meter like in Yellow or...what was it, Silver? Sapphire? That thing for your watch. I wouldn't be able to stand letting go of duplicates though so if I started replacing the ones I have now I'd just end up with boxes of high-level Pokemon that are no good.

Oh yeah, and I've never been able to do the Dream World stuff since my DSLite won't accept my campus' wireless connection. I've heard Lites tend to have issues with security or something? It also meant I missed out on Victini, and Zorua, even though I got Black pretty soon after release. I was so excited, I'd never gotten a release-exclusive before, and the way things turned out now I still haven't. :(

Scunosi on
    @Scunosi I know how you feel. I played the online game to befriend one of the eevee evolutions when that promotion ran-and then discovered my old brick of a DS couldn't connect to any wireless save one that was completely unsecured. That being said, my 3DS is much more friendly with my router.

• cocowoushicocowoushi Registered User regular
    I'm impressed how much trading wants to go down this year! Maybe one day we should have a set trading time do you all can meet up!

A good time to find all the leaders is on Sunday after PAX (6pm) we have a champions meet up, where our Elite 4 and Champ can be found for sure and many leaders. Lots of trainers show up to get some last badges, so down time between those battles are good for trading time too.

• LosarLosar Thane Vector, Rock Star Tucson, AZRegistered User regular
    I found this news posted on the PPL forums, but I figured it's worth mentioning here:

A Mewtwo with a King's Rock will be available on Nintendo WFC starting February 14, I believe. If you have Pokemon B/W and want the elusive Pokemon #150, find yourself a wireless access point during the later half of next month.

This has been a PKMN Public Service Announcement.

Isn't that informative!? Hooray!!
  • feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    Propriety wrote:
    Regiment wrote:

Aww... Charlie Brown as a pokemon trainer.

And now I want to dress up as Charlie Brown at some point to trade...

• RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    New trainer here. Got a text from my friend saying he will go up for PAX East on Saturday. So now I'm committed to do the PAX league challenge even if it is going to be for one day.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
    edited January 2012
    Riokenn wrote:
    New trainer here. Got a text from my friend saying he will go up for PAX East on Saturday. So now I'm committed to do the PAX league challenge even if it is going to be for one day.

A day's better than nothing! Just make sure to catch a meet up while you're there and you should be good, or hang around the handheld lounge a bit. Its where I got a lot of my challenges done last year. :P

Volaro on
    edited January 2012
    Volaro wrote:
    Riokenn wrote:

A day's better than nothing! Just make sure to catch a meet up while you're there and you should be good, or hang around the handheld lounge a bit. Its where I got a lot of my challenges done last year. :P

And this year we have double, count 'em double the number of Gym Leaders at East than we did last year! Achieving 8 badges in one day is definitely doable.

Shader on
    Riokenn wrote:

Fantastic! There's definitely time to get at LEAST eight badges in a day, with a little hard work and luck, and as @Shader points out, we've got LOTS of gym leaders this year!

• Gumbyx84Gumbyx84 Registered User regular
    Thought I'd share some battle tactics from the wonderful people at Rare Candy Treatment

Today's Lesson:Entry Hazards

Now that the lols are out of the way, how are your teams going? Remember, make sure your team is up for anything. Sometimes a gym leader may throw you a curve ball (or three ;)).

Apologies for the hold up in gym leader reveals. I assure you, it is only... temporary.

As in, VERY temporary.

As in, I'm posting a new leader TOMORROW.