As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Let's Play] Rise of the Argonauts - Set 02 - Cave of Boon

KlykaKlyka DO you have anySPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
edited January 2012 in Games and Technology
5mk3f4.jpg
Rise of the Argonauts is a 2008 action role-playing game developed by Liquid Entertainment and published by Codemasters for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. The game's plot surrounds the myth of Jason and his Argonauts as he searches for the Golden Fleece.

Hey guys, a new thread for a new Let's Play!
This one will be very heavy on words so I will read the subtitles and skip quite a bit. You'll see that I try to skip at logical points in the conversation though so as to not make it too jarring.
This will also be my first heavily edited LP as I will edit out all the tedious walking and trim down endless minion fighting into "fight montages".

I hope you'll enjoy this excursion into ancient and mythological Greece!

Set 01 - Blind fire
Set 02 - Cave of Boon

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
lTDyp.jpg
Klyka on

• EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    Oh god...why....

PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    Oh god...why....

Sometimes a man needs to go beyond the call of duty.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    I'm surprised you even got the game to run this well. I read on the steam forums it crashes constantly for most people.

PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Oh God, this game. I love it so much and yet it's so... mediocre at best.

Will still be following along.

Klyka wrote:
    I hope you'll enjoy this excursion into ancient and mythological Greece!

Well... sort of. I think this game's a bit more accurate than Disney's Hercules, but that's about it.

Also, I tend to use Spears primarily because Athena, but also because the spear's straightforward stab makes it bit easier to deal with shield users - if you can flank them, one good stab will force them to drop their shield so you don't have to keep hacking at it.

edited January 2012

Also, I tend to use Spears primarily because Athena, but also because the spear's straightforward stab makes it bit easier to deal with shield users - if you can flank them, one good stab will force them to drop their shield so you don't have to keep hacking at it.

Yeah, I played around with the combat a bit now and I noticed that too. I'm sure I'll get more competent with it as I keep going.

@Elimination: The game is running rock solid for me and hasn't crashed or done anything weird in almost 2 hours of playtime. I hope it'll stay that way!

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Aww, how did Forgotten Sands lose? It was a pretty alright game, with a really cool ending setpiece.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    Aww, how did Forgotten Sands lose? It was a pretty alright game, with a really cool ending setpiece.

I might still do it later on.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I am actually really happy to see this. A known good commentator/LPer playing a game I wouldn't want to play myself, but am interested to see. Sign me up for this.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    Rise of the Argonauts was so underrated. I loved that game.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    Dashui wrote:

It's pretty good so far!

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I felt the game started off rough and left me unsure of it, but once I got my boat and started the quest proper it really picked up.

I can't say I'm a fan of skipping the dialog, though, be it for watching a Let's Play or actually playing a game with lots of spoken dialog. It takes me out of the experience.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    Klyka wrote:
    Dashui wrote:

It's pretty good so far!

Wait, is this your first time through the game? In that case, here's a little hint about game mechanics.

Each region, like the starting island Iolcus (but not Delphi, sort of), has two Constellations associated with it - one for the main quest and one for side quests. The main quest constellation will always be completed, obviously. If you want to do all the sidequests, don't leave wherever you are until you've completed the second one. For Iolcus, it's Ara, if I'm not mistaken.

I'm not really going for 100% completion.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I'm about 20 minutes through the first set and I can definitely see I couldn't get into this games combat system. Unless something improves, the mechanics of bashing away an enemies shield as HP just feels like you aren't doing anything. It just looks like it feels rather clunky and I really dislike the whole "execute an enemy, then stand there being fancy for his friend to shank your ass in 10 different ways".

Maybe it improves as the game goes along? Incidentally I am not worried at all about the dialog. Just wanting to see where the story goes and if I do get interested, all I have to do is pause the video.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    Klyka wrote:
    I'm not really going for 100% completion.

Fair enough.

Also, a 'State of Grace' happens when Jason gets to really low health. You'll notice it when it happens.