As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fly On] DCS A-10C / DCS Black Shark 2 / LOMAC: FC3 - Join us in the skies

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Oh yeah, I totally get that about ArmA, and love the series for the infantry sim that it excels at. I'm just nitpicking it a bit, since I got really excited about the helis in the game, then found out how funky they are when trying to fly them with my stick. I just go with the KBAM scheme for them in ArmA now. But it did get me to pick up Comanche vs Hokum and Apache vs Havoc. And now I've got Black Shark too. Helicopters are sexy.

Drake on
  • Options
    HeadspaceHeadspace Indiana, USARegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Maybe a combined dealie with the trimmer and AP functions and space permitting a quick touch on utilizing the AP/trimmer functions to assist in weapons delivery.
    That's all been covered by Matt Wagner in the producer's notes. It would need to be something that doesn't significantly overlap.

Headspace on
  • Options
    striderjgstriderjg Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Indeed they are, but damn hard to fly:) ALthough I have to admit I have no problems with a stick in arma. Just the bloody throttle:)

Anyone have any clue what's happening here:

Ok, so I am starting to get a better handling on the BS AP. Made a trimmer toggle button on my stick which has helped a ton. However at times something funky happens. Just was doing a shooting gallery mission, flew to WP1, stabilized in a hover and flicked on auto-hover, killed some static tanks with my vihkrs, moved in a bit closer and blew some shit up with the cannon, then did a strafing run with rockets. Then flew around back to WP1 and tried to stabilize into a hover again to use up the rest of my cannon rounds and the heli would just not stabilize. first time I got it in a hover and set auto-hover, and it kepts yawing around in circles (with turn-on-target on or off, and with HDG AP on or off). Tried to get in a hover again and this time when I flicked auto-hover it would just oscillate fore-aft, right-left like crazy. I really have no idea what was going on? Anyone?

HS: Ahh. Haven't gotten to them yet:)

striderjg on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Well, either there's a problem with the DCS key server, or Steam ran out of Black Shark keys. :x

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    What's the recommended stick for Black Shark? Looking for one, but have limited/null helicopter experience so I don't know what's good for those.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Any of the recommended sticks for other flight sims should apply to Black Shark. There aren't really any heli specific sticks that aren't $texas, that I know of.

• Options
    krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    Ugh, my brief few days of computer stability has now been followed by hard crashes in both DCS and BMS... (and I'm sure it would do the same thing in any 3d game). I guess I need to start RMAing some shit. Such a pain in the ass :(

• Options
    Ugh, sorry to hear that krylon. I hate computer problems. Is it a heat issue?

In other news, I'm seriously considering building something like this (of my own design): http://www.rogerdodger.net/diyflightsims/floor_unit.html

• Options
    Krylon,
    I've had good experience in the past isolating the troubling component. Might be able to help you isolate the problem rather then random rma's. If your interested, hit me in pm or steam or something.

Drovek,
    For heli's, the stick will be same kinda stick for any FS, but rudder becomes a lot more important so either twist axis, or better yet, pedals:)

steam_sig.png
  • Options

In other news, I'm seriously considering building something like this (of my own design): http://www.rogerdodger.net/diyflightsims/floor_unit.html
    o snap! Great idea! Doing it. atleast for the side stick/throttle. I'm currently using some folding trays which are way to high. Makes it awkward to get to the top buttons on my stick. Gonna implement some kinda adjustable elbow rest too I think:)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular

I NEED ONE OF THOSE.
    As it sits now, I don't have enough room for both my keyboard and HOTAS.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    It would be nice just so I could use a surface the sucker feet on my X-52 would stick to. They stick to my desk for about 5 seconds. I've just gotten used to apply downward pressure.

Edit: I can't decide if this is the dorkiest thing or the coolest thing:

diy_easy_helicopter_controls_flightsim_gif.gif

Probably both

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    ironsizideironsizide You must whip it Registered User regular

That's pretty rad - I could even use my wheelchair with one of those (and I shall never use rudder pedals).

|_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Holy shit I'm building one of them. PVC pipe is affordable as is the cement and it's easy as hell to cut with a light hacksaw. Yeah, that's a done deal. Maybe I can get some on the super cheap from an old buddy that does plumbing.

As for hardware issues, the best place to start is by checking your RAM. It's one of the most common points of failure, and the most typical cause of BSoD crashes. I recommend downloading an .img of Memtest, burning it to disk and then running it over night. It works as a bootdisk, and is fairly easy to use. The goal is to get zero errors on your testing. If it fails, then the first thing you should try is reseating your RAM, as sometimes things like fan vibration can cause it to become misaligned in its slot. Then retest and hope for the best.

Drake on
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    It would be nice just so I could use a surface the sucker feet on my X-52 would stick to. They stick to my desk for about 5 seconds. I've just gotten used to apply downward pressure.

Edit: I can't decide if this is the dorkiest thing or the coolest thing:

diy_easy_helicopter_controls_flightsim_gif.gif

Probably both

So, uhhhh... How you doin'?

• Options
    Drake wrote:
    Holy shit I'm building one of them. PVC pipe is affordable as is the cement and it's easy as hell to cut with a light hacksaw. Yeah, that's a done deal. Maybe I can get some on the super cheap from an old buddy that does plumbing.

As for hardware issues, the best place to start is by checking your RAM. It's one of the most common points of failure, and the most typical cause of BSoD crashes. I recommend downloading an .img of Memtest, burning it to disk and then running it over night. It works as a bootdisk, and is fairly easy to use. The goal is to get zero errors on your testing. If it fails, then the first thing you should try is reseating your RAM, as sometimes things like fan vibration can cause it to become misaligned in its slot. Then retest and hope for the best.

You gotta love pvc:) Just the last year I have used it for my random-wire ham antenna's insulators, a adjustable dog jump, a random-wire tuner mast, spindles for strings, and other small various tasks.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The only hope I have of my wife ever allowing me to have something like this in our house is to make it collapsible.

• Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    I took the plunge on A-10, because it seems really awesome. I am having a bitch of a time starting the plane up, though. It's driving me crazy. Battery switch on. Inverter to standby. And then the warning panel starts flashing about hydraulic pressure (I think) and beeps really loudly and annoyingly forever. What step is the tutorial leaving out or fucking up? Those are literally the only two things I do, in the order I'm supposed to, and it drives me crazy. If I turn everything back off, then set the inverter to standby before powering on the battery, it doesn't freak out, but I have no idea if that messes something up. Is it a bug or what?

• Options
    I took the plunge on A-10, because it seems really awesome. I am having a bitch of a time starting the plane up, though. It's driving me crazy. Battery switch on. Inverter to standby. And then the warning panel starts flashing about hydraulic pressure (I think) and beeps really loudly and annoyingly forever. What step is the tutorial leaving out or fucking up? Those are literally the only two things I do, in the order I'm supposed to, and it drives me crazy. If I turn everything back off, then set the inverter to standby before powering on the battery, it doesn't freak out, but I have no idea if that messes something up. Is it a bug or what?

I just hit the master caution button and ignore it. It started doing it after a patch. I think it's just a warning that you're on battery power, but I might be wrong.

Anyway, after flipping those two, flip the APU Start switch on the left panel, then when it spins up to 100%, flip the APU Gen switch next to the battery switches. That'll get you semi-powered up. From there, turn on your radios, set the VHF to tower frequency and ask permission for startup. Once received, turn on your fuel pumps and then start your left engine. When it's at idle, start your right. Then when it's at idle, flip the two DC Gen switches by the power stuff, flip that APU switch off, then turn the APU off (left panel). From there you'll be on main power and can turn everything else on (if you need further instruction, just ask).

Also, to save a little time, once I get my APU up and running, I turn on the EGI and CDU switches before messing with the engines, so they can start alignment.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    it's the inverter light on the warning panel I believe. When a warning light comes on, the MWL goes off. My solution was to flip inverter on before flicking the battery so the panel light doesn't change. It's always on when the system receives power. Clicking the MWL to silence it will work too, or dealing with it till you get the APU and APU gen running. Also, as Carcass states, get that INS aligning at the start. Takes a few minutes. You'll know when your CDU says T=4.0.0.8 and align something or other is flashing. This was left out of the manual as far as I could tell. Do NOT click nav or start moving before that happens. You also won't be able to switch the computer over to EGI on the Navigation Mode Select panel until the INS is aligned and you have selected NAV either on the MFD CDU page or CDU panel on right console. (don't worry, those steps should be in the startup checklist... just putting them in context). Furthermore, you won't be able to engage the EAS switch under the throttle until EGI is enabled. This threw me when I was learning the startup as it wasn't in the checklist so giving you a heads up:) Just stick with it. After a few startups it will be second nature. Then it will become even more second nature as you learn the systems more, so there is a method to the madness and you know what your actually doing and not just clicking labeled buttons that you don't understand the function off:)

Edit: Also, welcome to the Hog:)

striderjg on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I managed to get the plane mostly started up, but for some reason it won't raise the left throttle. Neither my stick's throttle or the keyboard binding would increase it. Am I missing some safety setting somewhere?

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Do you mean won't raise at all (out of idle indent to start the engine) or you can't increase from idle after the engine has been spooled up?

First,
    Your using the keystrokes to move the throttle out of off into idle correct? RAlt+home , RCtrl+home respectively for left and right engine?

Some ideas but it depends on which is the problem:)
    If you can't get the left engine out of idle indent,
    are you starting the right engine first? Are you waiting for the right engine to spool up all the way. The apu can only crank up one engine at a time so if you hit RCtrl+home, then immediately hit RAlt+home, it's not gonna work. You need to wait for the apu to be finished with the first engine. That's one idea.
    If when you try to crank the engine the RPM's are stuck at 30% check to make sure you turned on ALL 4 switches for the wing and main boast pumps. Left panel near the front.

If the engines are started (and you have verified the turbines rpm at idle) but throttle isn't moving, I'm thinking it might be a binding problem. You want to bind "throttle both" under A-10C SIM to your throttle axis (if you only have one... assumed). Only thing I can think of there. If this is your problem if you can think of some more info it might help.

striderjg on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Won't raise at all. I've got the correct buttons. The thing says to start the left engine first, but I couldn't get it to go, so I tried the right engine and got it started fine. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I'll give it another try tomorrow.

• Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    So, I've now found another reason to play A-10C regularly, as I'm using it to help study for my Air Force Officer's Qualifying Test.

4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Options
    ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    Well, either there's a problem with the DCS key server, or Steam ran out of Black Shark keys. :x

I'm pretty sure the keys that the Steam version uses and retail/direct download version use are incompatible because they use different DRM. If you're looking to get the cheap upgrade to BS2, I'm pretty sure they had worked something out.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    Chrysis wrote:

I'm pretty sure the keys that the Steam version uses and retail/direct download version use are incompatible because they use different DRM. If you're looking to get the cheap upgrade to BS2, I'm pretty sure they had worked something out.

Carcass, I actually don't have a key for BS that I can see. Y you need one? Trying to download the client from ED's? The upgrade is easy. Install steam version & run once. Download bs2 upgrade version. Install. It will detect the steam installed bs and continue on.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So, I've now found another reason to play A-10C regularly, as I'm using it to help study for my Air Force Officer's Qualifying Test.

Just curious, but in what ways does it help?
    Won't raise at all. I've got the correct buttons. The thing says to start the left engine first, but I couldn't get it to go, so I tried the right engine and got it started fine. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I'll give it another try tomorrow.

If the throttle won't move, it's probably still in the off position. Double check your key bindings, but like strider said it should be RightAlt + Home key.
    striderjg wrote:
    Chrysis wrote:

Carcass, I actually don't have a key for BS that I can see. Y you need one? Trying to download the client from ED's? The upgrade is easy. Install steam version & run once. Download bs2 upgrade version. Install. It will detect the steam installed bs and continue on.

Whenever I try to launch Black Shark I get a Steam error that says "failed to contact keyserver". Steam help says that can happen when Steam runs out of allotted keys for a game. No word from them yet on what the problem is, but many people are having it:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2512892

• Options
    That happens to games occasionally when there is a sale and unexpected demand. I've yet to hear about a situation where Steam didn't get it worked out.

• Options
    Saw this on the SA forums about Cliffs of Dover:
    Blistex wrote:
    Pretty much the truth here. I've been following the development of the game for about three years or more and it has (and still is) a colossal clusterfuck of a product. Apparently Oleg mismanaged the product so horribly 1C asked him to leave (fired him). The sound guy didn't know how to make a sound engine, and they had to scrap it (and him) and start over. Also they wasted massive amounts of resources to tiny little sperg things and crazy options (fully dynamic weather with each cloud being unique, have its own internal wind currents, and constantly changing it's shape). Basically just running the weather took a 50 FPS game down to a slideshow.

The latest patch has improved some things, but you still need a beast of a system to play it at a FPS that isn't annoying. They're saying that the next patch will include a new Graphics Engine. Yes you read that right. A NEW GRAPHICS ENGINE! The old one was so broke that no amount of patching can fix it and they've pretty much just started over. If their claims are correct, it will improve FPS by 50%.

What's bad is that they have pretty much admitted that there will be no new content to the game. (not that any was included). It's basically a quick mission/online dogfight generator. The campaign is horrible, and there are no online modes with any depth.

Save your money until further notice.

Sad, really.

• Options
    So sad.

Such a horrible fate for IL-2.

• Options
    Pollo,
    That's odd. Next time I'm in game first thing I'm gonna do is see if I can move the throttle out of off without anything else and just visually see if the throttle bumps to idle. This is starting to sound like a bind issue itself actually. Have yo verified the keystrokes in game? Should be called Engine Start [left/right]? Your not using a mac kb right;) :)

Carcass,
    Ahh, one of the active mods from ED's just posted in the steam thread. He's looking into it on Eagles side. Hopefully this gets sorted soon.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2012

Just curious, but in what ways does it help?

A large part of the test involves spacial recognition and instrument comprehension. A lot of stuff like "If your heading is this, artificial horizon looks like this, how would your aircraft appear to a person observing from the West?" And you have about 9 seconds to answer each of 40 of these questions. Harder than it sounds, or maybe I'm just under-practiced (likely).

Here's an example:
    fNWQn.jpg

And there's also more abstract ones like this:
    ELSFx.jpg
    Which seems like it doesn't pertain to flying, but it very much does.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
  • Options
    Uh, wow. Hopefully there are some instructions that are missing because otherwise.....

• Options
    Observer is South of the aircraft in the first example, but even without that information there's only one possible correct answer.

4hNKbHH.png
  • Options
    The abstract one.
    The answer would be D?

• Options
    B

• Options
    edited February 2012
    The answer to the first one is C. The nose is slightly elevated, and you're observing the top of the aircraft, which is heading West. [EDIT] No, you're right, the plane in nosed down slightly, and you're observing the bottom. I was looking at the wrong one.

The second one is actually E, and I'll provide a picture because you wouldn't believe me otherwise and I wouldn't blame you.

eLPiT.jpg

The only way I have any luck with these is by eliminating the ones I know aren't there, or are trying to trick you. The D shape, for example, has the lower-right corner cut off. Little details like this fuck me over all the time. Again, you have about 10 seconds to answer those.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
  • Options
    ParielPariel Registered User regular
    Huh, maybe I'm crazy, but the ASTB seemed a lot less silly than that abstract problem. I'm not sure that's the best way to test that skill (which I'm guessing is primarily attention to detail under stress). The viewing angle problems are pretty easy once you've tried a few. The ASTB ones are somewhat easier, just two views of the aircraft that you have to match.

• Options
    ASTB is what the Navy/Marine/Coast Guard take, right? And you're right about the viewing angle ones, but it's still tough when you know you have 6 minutes to do 40 of them.

4hNKbHH.png
  • Options
    krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    RE: my computer problems. I'm used to troubleshooting my machine, but this definitely feels like a hardware error. Here is a thread I made a little bit back hoping to get some insight: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/153907/evga-gtx-570-asus-p8p67-pro-r3-video-driver-crashing

I'm glad to see a surge of new people in this thread. Must fix machine and get the MP going! I'm down to run some basic flight / weapons deployment training for anyone getting started. Otherwise, there are a bunch of nice co-op missions we can rock. I'm sure Carcass would be happy to run these in the meantime while I'm out of action :)