As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Diplomacy: Spring map 1911 on page 17. Down to E/F/T for the win

• stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I'm in for another game. Stupid Germans.
    EN, EN ,EN. Why didn't you join up with me vs GE?
    He didn't even put you in the draw.

stever777 on
    Hosting Android: Netrunner - Thread 2: The Revenge

The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1
  • jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    I hadn't seen the draw offer before now (I forget to check public messages), but I can't really see any reason to agree to it. It's probably true that Germany wins either way, but I'd rather be second than third.

• SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Sorry for not being in communication lately-holidays plus the inevitable don't think I can win without Germany and knowing that Germany will eventually destroy me led to just put in orders where possible

PSN SeGaTai
  • LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    I'm down for another game.

Man, Assuran, I wished we could have worked together. I love the Austria-Russia alliance. It's like the Russia-Turkey but with Austria, and thus cooler.

It was a fun game, being my first as Austria.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • SoulgrindSoulgrind Registered User regular
    It was a good game - obviously from my perspective. I agree that the draw offer was a little lop-sided, but I figured it might work. Loser and I had agreed to go for a two-way draw early on, and I wanted to honor that if I could.

The initial misorders were unfortunate and potentially game altering. It's too bad that Italy couldn't get into things, as it was, she proved a useful deterrent to France. By the way Stever, I was the one who came up with the idea of not ordering the army from Piedmont into Marseilles in Fall 01. I was also trying desperately to form an alliance between Turkey and Austria - Russia was sitting in a fairly strong position and that's very dangerous for Germany. Ultimately, I simply forced Loser's hand by invading Russia - I knew he'd side with me, it would have been suicide otherwise.

My next concern was Italy's centers; France was well-poised to snap them up and, with his fleets in the Mediterranean rather than the English Channel or MAO, I knew that I would almost certainly be his next target. I made a feeble stab, which he saw coming a mile a way and then settled in for a grueling Western European campaign. In the meantime, Austria and Turkey were divvying up the Tsar's domains, with Turkey coming out slightly ahead. The presented something of a problem as well. I had tried to lean heavily on Jakobagger to give Sevastopol to Austria, but when it was clear that wasn't going to happen, I decided to sit back and see how events played out in the East.

Fortunately, England and I were making good headway against France, and England had left the opportunity for me to move into the North Sea. By committing a fleet into the North Sea, I essentially had decided to stab England - I fired off a few messages , trying to assuage his doubts about our alliance; either he believed them or, perhaps more likely, was in no position to do anything about it. The stab against England was rather more complete than that against France - I could see the end in sight, if only Austria could hold out against Turkey for long enough.

To make a long story short, he did.

• CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    I'm up for playing if there's a place.

Granted, I've never played before, but...

...and I, as FR, was just about to mount my great comeback from Portugal.

edited January 2012
    Fall 1908 - German Solo Victory

game-history-35023-15-B.png

stever777 on

• AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    Yeah, I totally misread Turkey this entire game. I wanted an T/R and was misled to my death. Grats to Germany.

I guess I got out into a lead too early & became a nice target, esp since IT was ripe for picking and easy for me to get to. Seems to be my prob in Chaos as well.

• jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    If I had been more aware of the general board situation earlier, I would probably have sided with Russia. As it was, I was swayed by mostrategy articles I read indicating that Austria was generally a better alliance for Turkey, where the juggernaught generally just would lead to a solo Russian victory. But this might not have been true with an Italy as weak as this game had.

I decided to stab Austria when it had become clear to me that he and Germany were clsoer than he was to me, and his plans for expansion after Russia sounded implausible - I expected him to attack me. In hindsight, I should have moved earlier and/or coordinated better with Russia, as it was I messed up and gained nothing form the surprise attack other than tipping my hand.

Also, knowing that Soulgrind had signed up to the forums solely to play Diplomacy, I should have trusted him even less than I did.

All in all though, I'm pretty satisfied with this as my first full game and first as Turkey.

I might be up for another game, but not right away as I don't have consistent internet access at the moment.

stever777 wrote:
    ...and I, as FR, was just about to mount my great comeback from Portugal.

If I hadn't been stupid and had sent my message earlier we could just barely have held Germany abck for antoher season or two in Iberia.

• LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    jakobagger wrote:
    If I had been more aware of the general board situation earlier, I would probably have sided with Russia. As it was, I was swayed by mostrategy articles I read indicating that Austria was generally a better alliance for Turkey, where the juggernaught generally just would lead to a solo Russian victory. But this might not have been true with an Italy as weak as this game had.

I decided to stab Austria when it had become clear to me that he and Germany were clsoer than he was to me, and his plans for expansion after Russia sounded implausible - I expected him to attack me. In hindsight, I should have moved earlier and/or coordinated better with Russia, as it was I messed up and gained nothing form the surprise attack other than tipping my hand.

Also, knowing that Soulgrind had signed up to the forums solely to play Diplomacy, I should have trusted him even less than I did.

All in all though, I'm pretty satisfied with this as my first full game and first as Turkey.

I might be up for another game, but not right away as I don't have consistent internet access at the moment.

Turkey-Austria is a great alliance for Turkey.

It's a shit alliance for Austria unless Austria can stay way ahead in supply centers. Since I couldn't, I was essentially always going to be hosed by you.

I was just about to go for the stab, hoping that the element of surprise would let me take a few centers off you.

Alas, such was not the case. Once you hit me, I had already lost.

"We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
    Well, I'm glad that wasn't just me being paranoid.

• blahmcblahblahmcblah You pick your side and you stick - you don't cut and run when things get ugly. Registered User regular
    Alas, such was not the case. Once you hit me, I had already lost.

Well, when you stab, stab deeply. I think that ancient gaming proverb actually comes from Diplomacy. :P

As an aside Loser, I never thought you were serious and we're simply biding time to ally with Germany and try to turn Turkey, which makes my trust of Turkey all the more amusing in review.

It was genuine. I consider Austria's first priority to be to organize a "let's go kill turkey" party.

Later in the game I might have sided with Germany against you provided he was strong enough and you were weak. But if you were in a good position then I would have stuck with you until I pulled away ahead

OK. Who's up for another round? Also, should we play for only solo victory, like RL groups do? Not sure I like the draw thing. Makes players act differently than they do normally. You should have to stab even your best ally eventually. :bz

stever777 wrote:
    OK. Who's up for another round? Also, should we play for only solo victory, like RL groups do? Not sure I like the draw thing. Makes players act differently than they do normally. You should have to stab even your best ally eventually. :bz

As far as I am aware, tournament games regularly end in draws. Solo victories are actually kind of rare. I mean, get the solo if you can, but there are many times where it's just not really feasible to get the solo victory.

When I played it live, it was always understood one player would win.

stever777 wrote:
    When I played it live, it was always understood one player would win.

I think that will just cause a game to drag on and on and on and on.

Because if the only way to win is a solo, then no one will every let anyone solo ever. Because they have to. So any time that someone gets close, everyone else dog piles them. Then the next person to get close gets dog piled.

I don't think that having draws allowed makes it less likely that people will legitimately try to solo if they can, but rather it gives a way to call the game when it's hit a deadlock.

Well, I'm in a game now that we've agreed to only go for the solo, so I'll let you know how it goes.

OK. Who's up for another round of draws included or whatever?

I will be in a few days, I believe.

I'm in 3 games right now, but I'm stubbornly holding on and making a nuisance of myself in one of them and about to be that way in another. I've had some bad luck...

However, as soon as I get out of one of my games I'm back in for another round with the fine people here.

I think that will just cause a game to drag on and on and on and on.

Because if the only way to win is a solo, then no one will every let anyone solo ever. Because they have to. So any time that someone gets close, everyone else dog piles them. Then the next person to get close gets dog piled.

I don't think that having draws allowed makes it less likely that people will legitimately try to solo if they can, but rather it gives a way to call the game when it's hit a deadlock.

I'm perfectly willing to play with draws but I've been thinking about this.
    I don't think it's that easy to dog pile in Diplomacy, esp when a player switches unexpectedly, as is often the case. Forces are usually not set up to quickly take on a new enemy who may have been a trusted ally, esp if that player is not near the new enemy. Also, as the nearer players deal with the new threat, they become vulnerable to the others' maneuvers behind the new line.
    As I said, I'll let you know how my current game goes.

edited February 2012
    Spring 1906 - Report from The Czar's Office

game-history-36841-11-O.png

Game ID - 36841. One To Rule Them!
    Here's my no-draws-allowed game, still going on.
    I allied with GE early.
    Was trying to figure out if AU or TU was more trustworthy, then TU took Bulgaria from me.
    AU & I ripped up TU with me getting all of the SC's.
    AU thought we would go after GE, but AU was so ready to be taken, so I moved on him.
    I also got greedy and moved on GE, who wasn't ready for it but is a good player.
    Now, I'm at war with both German-speaking nations in a line against me & 5 SC's away from victory.
    May have moved too early on GE.

Anyway, the no-draw game is going fine and I'm still pretty sure it is a fine choice, as most nations just aren't prepared when an ally attacks but, either way.
    Anyone ready for a game here?

stever777 on

Yeah, if someone sets up Crit Redux 3 I'll announce it in the thread title. I know we had interest from other players, as well.

Wow, stever, that game is going super fast. I have an almost comparable looking game, but it's 1912.

Actually, I have to somehow figure out how to stop France from soloing as Turkey...

edited February 2012
    Yup, it'll go fast when you have 3 players allied & 4 other goofy players but now it'll become a WW1 bloodbath.
    Also, I think 24 hour orders & 12 hour build/retreats work best.
    Keeps it moving but not too quickly, in case you need to plan with a friend.

stever777 on

I have made a new game!!!

Critical Failures - A Gentleman's Game

password is the ever popular
    wang

let us get some people signed up.

I'm hoping to be Russia...only power I haven't played yet

I spilled coffee in my laptop and won't get it back before the 11th at the earliest, so I should probably pass on this one, boo.

Hehe! wang

Game ID - 36841. One To Rule Them! Update.

Just took Berlin, Budapest & Greece to get to 16.
    GE kinda screwed up & AU seemed to run away.
    No stopping The Czar now! :bz

OK, 3 signed up, 4 spots left.

edited February 2012
    Hey, LFHX, I joined "#37659. Beginners please" & noticed, afterwards, you're in it.
    I'm FR, who are you?
    Did you start the game?

Also, what do you think of the Draws must include all survivors (DIAS) thing?
    Kind of a one-winner game, since you prob wouldn't want to include a guy with 1 SC in the victory.

stever777 on

stever777 wrote:
    Hey, LFHX, I joined "#37659. Beginners please" & noticed, afterwards, you're in it.
    I'm FR, who are you?
    Did you start the game?

Also, what do you think of the Draws must include all survivors (DIAS) thing?
    Kind of a one-winner game, since you prob wouldn't want to include a guy with 1 SC in the victory.

Hey, neat

It started, but then NMR. I was Russia. Hadn't gotten around to talking to France yet as I was still trying to talk to all the other people around me. France is kind of low on the priority list for me as Russia. I mean, a great guy to gossip with, but not really an enemy until the very very late game, if at all.

DIAS is kinda dumb. I mean, it means that if you want to cut someone out of the draw, you just have to take the time to exterminate them. I can't imagine that it's fun for the person involved, nor for the people doing it. But I haven't had a DIAS game end with anything other than a solo, so who knows.

edited February 2012
    Damn slow sign-ups.
    C'mon! Diplomacy!

stever777 on

Man, we're really tallying up the signups. :cry:

• Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    I've had a hankering for giving a diplomacy a go at some point, mind if I join? I haven't played before, so expect a massacre!

What site do you play on?

edited February 2012
    Sure, man, join in!
    www.playdiplomacy.com
    I have made a new game!!!

Game ID: Critical Failures - A Gentleman's Game

password is the ever popular
    wang

Finally got the link right.

stever777 on