As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fly On] DCS A-10C / DCS Black Shark 2 / LOMAC: FC3 - Join us in the skies

• Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    krylon666 wrote:
    I'm glad to see a surge of new people in this thread. Must fix machine and get the MP going! I'm down to run some basic flight / weapons deployment training for anyone getting started. Otherwise, there are a bunch of nice co-op missions we can rock. I'm sure Carcass would be happy to run these in the meantime while I'm out of action :)

Yeah, absolutely. My time is kinda limited during the week, but I could do a little something then. I'm pretty much free most weekends for whenever.

• DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    The answer to the first one is C. The nose is slightly elevated, and you're observing the top of the aircraft, which is heading West. [EDIT] No, you're right, the plane in nosed down slightly, and you're observing the bottom. I was looking at the wrong one.

The second one is actually E, and I'll provide a picture because you wouldn't believe me otherwise and I wouldn't blame you.

eLPiT.jpg

The only way I have any luck with these is by eliminating the ones I know aren't there, or are trying to trick you. The D shape, for example, has the lower-right corner cut off. Little details like this fuck me over all the time. Again, you have about 10 seconds to answer those.

Those tricky bastards.

Makes sense though. Pilots, especially military and most definitely combat pilots, should be able to pick up minute details in high stress situations that are full of "noise." A tiny detail like the missing corner that I overlooked could be absolutely vital and the difference between success and disaster.

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Ok, so a question for the tutorials in A-10. I've seen a few of you mention the manual so have a question. Do they go through step by step in the tutorials how to start everything up or do I have to read the manual and know what I'm supposed to do when the tutorials start? I wanted to be prepared before starting them up. Thanks!

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Betsuni wrote:
    Ok, so a question for the tutorials in A-10. I've seen a few of you mention the manual so have a question. Do they go through step by step in the tutorials how to start everything up or do I have to read the manual and know what I'm supposed to do when the tutorials start? I wanted to be prepared before starting them up. Thanks!

The tutorials are fantastic in A-10C. They not only verbally explain what to do, but also highlight the mechanism in the cockpit and tell you the keyboard shortcut. Just don't press anything before you're supposed to or it breaks the scripting.

@Drake Yeah, those shape recognition tests are one of my weak points. First time I took a practice AFOQT, I didn't even finish like 10 of them.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • striderjgstriderjg Registered User regular
    If i'm remembering correctly, the start up tutorial is guided. Highlight button to press ect. It's a nice intro that gives you the layout. I would also read the manual stat-up procedure. After that I'd find online a checklist you like and download it. Then use the printed/ebook checklist you downloaded till you get comfortable.

steam_sig.png
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Betsuni wrote:

They do go step by step for a lot of stuff, but you'll still need to read the manual to understand a lot of why you're doing what they tell you. I'd recommend doing some of the earlier training missions like startup and landing several times until you're comfortable doing it without the training, then start reading up on the avionics.

edited February 2012
    Jumped back into the hog a bit last night and after fumbling with getting my fingers back doing the right thing (hasn't sunk to long term yet) I was off on another try on hideout without getting my wingman killed. Succeeded, but then app crashed when I think the all destroyed trigger was fired:( So went to bed a little pissed. Did it again today and this time. Anchored my WM at the IP then I went in and mav'd what I thought were the highest threats. Then did 2 LSB passes and while egressing from last run got a missle launch.... mmmm pucker factor of the MWS going off after investing 1:15 minutes in the game for startup/setup and ingress:) Successfully defeated the igla and sent my wingman in to mop up with his mavericks and recon tells me all vehicles destroyed. Woot! Sit around and watch the heli's insert the Spec Op on the TGP then head for home, land, taxi to my hanger and shut down. Nice:) Unfortunately one of the AI SEAD pilots crashed into a building while taxiing after landing! Oh well. Was wondering what the smoke was when I was taxiing myself. Found out in the after mission briefing screen:)

edit: anyone else with BS and Hog always struck when switching from HOG to BS that it feels like your stepping back in history 30 years:)

edit 2:
    HAHAHA... wonderful.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=jzkO1OTlAbs

Edit 3:
    Wag is reporting more keys given to steam. Y'all (I love that word) with problems should be fixed soon

striderjg on
    steam_sig.png
    Flew a mission tonight. I took out the shilka that was guarding some trucks with a maverick, then got in close to use my gun. Apparently there was an APC I didn't know about, who managed to knock out my left MFD and my NAV system. After finishing it and the trucks off, I flew back to base using the TACAN system, which was pretty cool because I've always ignored it because I had EGI. Didn't have the best landing, but it was safe either way.

• PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I managed to push the right buttons and take off on my own for my first time. Then I puttered around in free flight, failed to turn on my guns, and failed to get the landing gear back up. So I opened the canopy and tried to eject, but failed in that too. So I turned off both engines and glided to what would probably have been a survivable crash. Good enough for me!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAWMZlLHmms

edit: Whatever, I can't get that link to work right now either. Good enough!

PolloDiablo on
    edited February 2012
    Good on the tacan use:) I've only used it on the re-fueling practices to date. Still haven't gotten that down but haven't been practicing it.

Excellent on getting her started up and in the air:) For guns, Master Arm to ON and Gun to PAC (upper positon). Both switches are the on left vertical panel next to the ADI. Eject is a automated sequence that automatically blows the canopy and rocket propels the pilots seat out. It's activated in game by default by hitting Ctrl+e three times in quick succession. I almost thought the link was gonna be a fraps... heh. oh well:)

striderjg on
    steam_sig.png
  • HeadspaceHeadspace Indiana, USARegistered User regular
    If you know how to use a VOR/DME in real life, you probably know most of how the TACAN works anyway. It's nearly the same thing, minus the to/from indication. Slant range is of course going to be the same.

We're still working on our DCS sessions scheduling. Any interested participants? It would be weekend, of course. Probably in the daytime (US) / evening (Euro).

Headspace wrote:
    If you know how to use a VOR/DME in real life, you probably know most of how the TACAN works anyway. It's nearly the same thing, minus the to/from indication. Slant range is of course going to be the same.

We're still working on our DCS sessions scheduling. Any interested participants? It would be weekend, of course. Probably in the daytime (US) / evening (Euro).

That sounds interesting, I just don't feel I'm quite up to speed on the hog yet. Would love to try some mp though. Never flown a sim MP but hate to drag a group down.

On other news successfully completed BS2 instant easy without firing a shot.... heh. Did RTFOB and land though:) By the time I put into hover, got situated, setup my systems to my liking, located a enemy the AI heli's had destroyed everything. Well... I was trying to fire on a target I had just locked and was bout to figure out why it wasn't working (master arm was off) when the AI heli blew it up then shortly after finished blowing up everything else. Hehe.

steam_sig.png
    striderjg wrote:
    That sounds interesting, I just don't feel I'm quite up to speed on the hog yet. Would love to try some mp though. Never flown a sim MP but hate to drag a group down.

I may be completely wrong, but I assume he's talking about the SA guys. This is for IL-2, but I think it probably applies to them and DCS, as well:

qNJl9.png

But anyway, yeah, I'd totally be interested in some MP DCS. Daytime weekends works great for me, most weekends.

Haha, no, I am not talking about the SA guys. Although we would not expect much different.

Well, my interest still stands. :P

I'm a so-so pilot. I don't think I've ever crashed the A-10 on landing outside of hardware failure and can sorta fly in formation. Refueling is still beyond my grasp, though. I still need practice with some of the weapons, but for the most part I can hit what I'm aiming at.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I too need to find guys to play FC2 with, I suspect.

It's been so long since I've played IL-2--that chart might seem forgiving, but turned to full realism (not sure if that's what the Goons used, it's been a really long time since I played it online, and never with them) even taking off reliably can be hard for some aircraft. Or maybe I just have too many nightmares of trying to take off in a 109 during air raids.....

Synthesis on
    Thanks for the responses guys, it makes me feel better about just jumping in on the tutorial. This manual you all talk about, is it the one that is in the game? AKA somewhere on my HDD I'm guessing.

Thanks again and hopefully my next post will be about doing a successful tutorial session.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Yeah, they're in your install folder somewhere. Can't check as I'm at work. They're either in the root folder or maybe a folder called "docs". There's 3, but the main one you need is the flight manual.

Sir Carcass: What made you think I was a goon?

How many of you guys play IL-2 regularly?

I play with a group of gents from SA and they'd love to have more people join up.

I confused you with this guy, apparently.

• DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Getting used to chopperin'. Still flying "Game" mode settings so far, at least until I:

1) Buy a new stick. (The new X52 looks damn good. Hadn't seen it yet. I didn't really like the previous one.)
    2) Print and bind the damn 550 page manual. I really need to have this, on paper.

Other than that, seems like it'll be quite a ride here.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
    Yeah, they're in your install folder somewhere. Can't check as I'm at work. They're either in the root folder or maybe a folder called "docs". There's 3, but the main one you need is the flight manual.

Same here, can't check so was wondering about that. Thanks for the info, I'll go and find it since I recall the installer or something mentioning it. Hope it is a PDF so I can put it on my Transformer instead of printing the entire thing out.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Betsuni wrote:

Same here, can't check so was wondering about that. Thanks for the info, I'll go and find it since I recall the installer or something mentioning it. Hope it is a PDF so I can put it on my Transformer instead of printing the entire thing out.

It's PDF. I have the A-10, Black Shark, and Falcon BMS pdfs here at work. ;-)

edited February 2012
    ahh gotcha. IL2. Need to get into that (only dabbled) but NOT now... heh. 3 new study sims is my limit:) Although from messing around with it in the past I do wanna get back to it at some point. Definitely need my TIR back for that one though I think:)

I'd be up for MP in the hog when people are organizing or if someone just wants to hit me up at some point. I'll probably have to do some setup to get running as I haven't done mp. I got flight and primary weapons systems down (though still not the fastest and sometimes bumble something up and botch a run in). Emergencies I'll fumble with and without TIR I probably will make a pretty piss poor wingy keeping SA while others make attack runs, but that is what it is:) Also not yet great at gunnery. Reading A10's over kosovo and gau8 attack runs with a ROE not allowing them below 10,000ft was pretty neat. I'd be well below that before getting rounds on target:)

striderjg on
    steam_sig.png
    Betsuni wrote:

It's PDF. I have the A-10, Black Shark, and Falcon BMS pdfs here at work. ;-)

That just made my day. In fact I may have to do a similar thing as you so I can research at work.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Anyone else having issues with the LGB's in BMS? Take a look at this shot:
    TGP.jpg

The bombs were hitting a VERY reliable distance long of the target.... that I had the cursor on the whole drop as far as I could tell. Had to correct as it drifted but was keeping it pretty much spot on the whole time. Next pass the bomb hit dead center and the next few were good then it started doing this again. Is anyone else getting this or have any ideas what might be the cause?

steam_sig.png
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Drovek wrote:
    Getting used to chopperin'. Still flying "Game" mode settings so far, at least until I:

1) Buy a new stick. (The new X52 looks damn good. Hadn't seen it yet. I didn't really like the previous one.)
    2) Print and bind the damn 550 page manual. I really need to have this, on paper.

Other than that, seems like it'll be quite a ride here.

There's a DCS Black Shark Manual for sale on the DCS website. A bit pricey at 29.99 but it's spiral bound, which is a huge plus in my opinion. Easy to lay it open without it springing shut on you like a standard binding. And at over 500 pages it's probably about the same expense as printing it out yourself or at Kinkos or something.

It's something I'd like to get when the tax return comes around.

• krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    striderjg wrote:
    TGP.jpg

The bombs were hitting a VERY reliable distance long of the target.... that I had the cursor on the whole drop as far as I could tell. Had to correct as it drifted but was keeping it pretty much spot on the whole time. Next pass the bomb hit dead center and the next few were good then it started doing this again. Is anyone else getting this or have any ideas what might be the cause?

I haven't used LGBs in BSM, so I can only relay my knowledge from the A-10. I think with laser guided bombs the time at which you start lasing the target is important. The bomb can only adjust itself so much, so you don't want to use the laser the entire time because it will constantly try to correct it's course and miss. I remember setting my bombs to auto-lase at like 7-10 seconds before impact (not exactly sure). So you want to get a nice CCIP release, then have the bomb adjust its course later in the descent.

Please confirm this though, since I'm going totally from memory.

I tried 2 A-10 missions last night and I realized without JTAC, I have no clue what I'm doing. I did the mission where you protect the downed F-16 pilot, but I never could find him or any enemies. Then I tried a mission where you have to stop some Russian tanks that had 2 different JTAC contacts, but even though other people were calling out targets sighted, both JTACs would just tell me no more tasking available. I flew around and finally found some enemies by seeing a SAM launch that quickly ended my career. I think I need to recheck my CM binding because I don't think it was working.

krylon666 wrote:
    striderjg wrote:
    TGP.jpg

I haven't used LGBs in BSM, so I can only relay my knowledge from the A-10. I think with laser guided bombs the time at which you start lasing the target is important. The bomb can only adjust itself so much, so you don't want to use the laser the entire time because it will constantly try to correct it's course and miss. I remember setting my bombs to auto-lase at like 7-10 seconds before impact (not exactly sure). So you want to get a nice CCIP release, then have the bomb adjust its course later in the descent.

Please confirm this though, since I'm going totally from memory.

Unfortunately not the case in BMS. The LGB's don't even have a setting as far as I can tell to turn off Auto LS or set the LS time. You can over ride and manual ls by firing the laser but I wasn't doing that. Got the lasing symbology right around 8 seconds till the missed impacts:) I'm surprised lasing early hurts accuracy in the hog. Wasn't aware of that. I just never lased other then a short burst to get a range fix until 10 seconds till impact as I notice when I set off the enemies LWS I tend to get a lot more attention. RWR lights up when I hit that button:) I'm actually wondering if the LGB's might be a little bugged. The point mode on the TGP is supposedly buggy. I know it hardly ever works for me.

steam_sig.png
    I tried 2 A-10 missions last night and I realized without JTAC, I have no clue what I'm doing. I did the mission where you protect the downed F-16 pilot, but I never could find him or any enemies. Then I tried a mission where you have to stop some Russian tanks that had 2 different JTAC contacts, but even though other people were calling out targets sighted, both JTACs would just tell me no more tasking available. I flew around and finally found some enemies by seeing a SAM launch that quickly ended my career. I think I need to recheck my CM binding because I don't think it was working.

Gonna have to branch out from hide-out:) Probably should start the campaign as well? How is the camp by the way. Unfortunately not dynamic:( but good? DCS with falcons camp engine would be a dream:) I should try that sandy mission. Figure it's a toughy.

steam_sig.png
    I've only done the first campaign mission, but it was pretty decent. Yeah, a dynamic campaign would be awesome. It would be super easy with JTAC implemented, too. Hopefully someone is working on it.

edited February 2012
    Ok, CSAR.... good mission. Not easy:) First try, while trying to fly the plane and use zoomed view with arrow keys for view... I crashed into a mountain. Ya..... anyways.... second try, got the blackhawks shot down... heh. Third try, got to close to AAA. This point I was gettin really frustrated with not having my trackIR :( and turned on labels... BAD BAD strider. I know, I know. With labels on became pretty easy... yes I know... bad bad strider. The temptation was much to perilous. I need my trackIR back bad. However I still didn't seem to win it. Got wingy shot down, but pilot was picked up and the blackhawks were RTB when I left the area and landed. Never got a mission complete though. Maybe have to wait for the birds to get back to base? *shrug* I cheated anyways:(

In other news, completed a easy instant action in BS2 with kills of my own:) Can't remember exactly how many but I'm starting to get a MUCH better handling on the trimming mechanism. Also, anyone with that game I HIGHLY recommend if your stick software will allow it to set up a toggle for the trimmer button. Much nicer tapping it, getting into position you want then tapping it again then holding it all the time. Kinda wish the mission didn't have the other AI friendly helis. But guess it adds a time constraint if you want kills yourself:)

striderjg on
    steam_sig.png
    Hey, look at that. The Black Shark I bought a week ago is finally working.

• PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    I'll join in for multiplayer sometime if you don't mind walking me through some stuff like you're talking down a plane whose pilot had a heart attack and died.

edited February 2012
    Carcass, finally! I was watching that thread over on the steam forums. Took surprising long for valve to fix that. Let us know how you like the BS:)

PD, would be fine by me:) I just got my ass handed to me pretty good in the campaign tonight. But then started getting my Hogging groove back on, then got cocky and tried to CCIP a AA battery.... and got my ass handed to me again:) Ya, sometimes I'm not that bright:) and still have lots and lots to learn about this game. I enjoy just flying so I have no prob offering what flight assistance I can. Far from a expert though:)

striderjg on
    steam_sig.png
    My experience with BS so far:

Load up a mission to try a cold start, find out said mission starts in the air. Attempt to fly with keyboard (since I didn't have my joystick plugged in, was just going to try a cold start), quickly crash into ground.

Install Dragon's training missions, load up a freeflight. Turn on batteries, start up APU, then listen to APU die. Repeatedly. Scratch head. Go to bed.

Guess I need to read a little before next time. :P

• krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    I never bothered to learn to BS start-up procedure. I just hit the hotkey and wait 5 mins.. :) I'll get around to it though. I actually really like doing the start-up in the A-10.

I'm home from work today (damn sinus/cold ) so I've been watching various flightsim related vids. This one is pretty good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrA8WvBe9bw

I would love some DCS Sukhoi or MiG action. @PolloDiablo - once I get my computer back on track, I'm down for some practice MP to help you learn the aircraft.

Wow, that was pretty awesome. I wish I had that kind of flying skill. :cry:

edited February 2012
    SC,
    Ya, it's a little different then the hog. Likely you didn't open the APU cutoff valve or didn't turn on the boast pumps. If memory serves both those will keep the apu from cranking up.

Watching:) And videos:)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUu4SV3GjVw&amp;feature=player_embedded

and a rather nice model with a tragic fire...but looks like they salvaged a lot of it. Jets are NOT CHEAP!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMxzL7E3Z7s&amp;feature=related

striderjg on
    steam_sig.png