As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GAME ON] Insurgency

• KungFuKungFu Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Im downloading now to get a feel for it. It sounds like a HL mod from a while back where you could only use ironsights and you never knew if you killed someone. It was a lot of tactical fun. Can't remember the name though.

Really, this download needs a torrent. 225KB/sec is blowing balls.

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    KungFu wrote: »
    Im downloading now to get a feel for it. It sounds like a HL mod from a while back where you could only use ironsights and you never knew if you killed someone. It was a lot of tactical fun. Can't remember the name though.

There's at least 2 torrents listed in the INS forum, one of which should be from one the alternative download sites listed below Fileplanet on their page.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
    edited July 2007

There's at least 2 torrents listed in the INS forum, one of which should be from one the alternative download sites listed below Fileplanet on their page.

They are links to websites, none of which state are torrents. I would of had to go to five or more websites to find out even if there was a torrent linked to.

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • KarnKarn Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Without any way of telling friend from foe at a distance, without keeping in contact with people, this game is pretty much destined for obscurity as 90% of FPS players will just not have the patience to deal with the constant accidental TKings. I admire their efforts, I GUESS, but I hope they weren't honestly attempting at making a highly successful game, otherwise I'd have to question their sanity. As a super hardcore war game it has a hell of a lot of potential, but like I said, that is kind of a niche market.

Karn on
    KarnsigRescue.gif
  • GrimCalaveraGrimCalavera Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    From the sounds of the planned update they listened pretty well to most of the complaints on their forums. I like how many ways people can paraphrase "I got owned nonstop by the other team and gave up."

GrimCalavera on
    There is a moment of sheer panic...
  • Pajama_ManPajama_Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Karn wrote: »
    Without any way of telling friend from foe at a distance, without keeping in contact with people, this game is pretty much destined for obscurity as 90% of FPS players will just not have the patience to deal with the constant accidental TKings. I admire their efforts, I GUESS, but I hope they weren't honestly attempting at making a highly successful game, otherwise I'd have to question their sanity. As a super hardcore war game it has a hell of a lot of potential, but like I said, that is kind of a niche market.

And what’s wrong with that? Does every fps have to imitate counter-strike, battlefield or call of duty?

If what you say does become true and that INS will be too difficult for the 90% of the fps player population then thank God. I rather be playing with 10% of those whom are competent enough to play the game at least half well.

Pajama_Man on
    camo_sig.png
  • SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Pajama_Man wrote: »

And what’s wrong with that? Does every fps have to imitate counter-strike, battlefield or call of duty?

If what you say does become true and that INS will be too difficult for the 90% of the fps player population then thank God. I rather be playing with 10% of those whom are competent enough to play the game at least half well.

Me too.

For the most part I've been lucky on the the servers I've been on. Most people have been really cautious moving about and firing. It's certainly a much different style of play.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • The_LightbringerThe_Lightbringer Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I've died 100 times on the streets to foes (or friends) that I can't see or even know where the shots are coming from.

But it was all worth it because I got a 6 man killing spree in a mosque by waiting and hiding in the shadows of columns and then descending upon the marines like an avenging angel of death. Seriously, almost all my kills comes from ambush and surprise.

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
  • übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

They are links to websites, none of which state are torrents. I would of had to go to five or more websites to find out even if there was a torrent linked to.

The link under the downloads section seems to be gone, but the forum links are still there. Like the one I'm looking at right now.....

http://forums.insmod.net/index.php?showtopic=5329

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I die a lot in this game, but it is often my own fault. Most of the time I die when I don't have cover or I do something stupid, such as just running forward.

Peewi on
  • Steel-AngelSteel-Angel Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I wish there were a player list so I could mute some of the assbags who play this game.

Steel-Angel on
    signaturep.jpg
    edited July 2007
    Pajama_Man wrote: »

There's nothing wrong with that. But it does mean that servers and players will be kind of hard to find because the game will dry up sooner. Also the leap to Counter-Strike or BF from this game is a pretty huge one. Red Orchestra is a very similar game in many respects and it isn't nearly as difficult to grasp. Nothing of what I said before insinuated that they should make a clone of popular FPS X, I just said that I hoped they weren't honestly trying to make a popular game with it being the way it is now, because that would be pretty retarded of them.

It is a nice game, but at the moment it seems to be aimed at an unbelievably small market. Additionally, since this game has been released in channels that the other 90% of FPS players are in, the game is going to be flooded with the type of people the small 10% can't stand, which will drive away the very people this game is intended for.

I dunno. I just think that making any game, especially one based in reality is about making concessions every now and then. The things they left out for realism, in MY opinion, were pointless, since there are so many other limitations that prevent the game from being a true simulation anyway. I can't hold my gun and shoot around a car or corner. I can't turn my head to look sideways while running forward. I can't climb and boost teammates over obstacles. These are limitations of the game engine. So I don't see the need for removing the ability to know if I've killed a teammate or not. That is my biggest only only real gripe with the game. It is personal, and I am sure that are many that love it for what it is, but it is just my opinion. No big deal really.

Karn on
    KarnsigRescue.gif
  • PredatorPredator __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    blarg
    I've been following this mod for over a year.
    It finally comes out
    and I dont have HL2 installed!

I'm definately down for a game tomorrow night.

Predator on
    1330my4.jpg
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    you only need sdk base if i'm right

Orikaeshigitae on
  • PredatorPredator __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    oh hey that makes things a bit easier.
    but then again, my computer is so bogged down now-a-days that its probably going to run like crap.

Predator on
    1330my4.jpg
  • LavaKnightLavaKnight Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Man, ya'll quit right before I finished installing. Oh well, I guess I'll play another night.

LavaKnight on
    edited July 2007
    I think the atmosphere of this game is pretty amazing. Im getting better at determining if it is a friend or foe too.

Most of my deaths are me being impatient and running around. My only complaint is that I need a map or a way to know the objectives.

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So a list of fixes for the first INS patch is up on their website.
    Release 1.0a Changelist
    --- code only
    * ADDED : command "tkremove" and "tkdetect"
    * CHANGED : alltalk is defaulted to "0"
    * FIXED : attacking with grenades while sprinting
    * FIXED : RPG playing the wrong draw animation when not loaded
    * FIXED : the client crash XYZ ^
    * FIXED : the server crash XYZ ^
    * FIXED : flashpoint and spraypaint in spectator is now disabled
    * FIXED : can not longer cook smoke grenades
    * FIXED : reloading the M249
    * FIXED : small problem for people that do not have SSE support on their CPU
    -- others
    * FIXED : Lots of FPS Improvements

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
    edited July 2007
    . Also the leap to Counter-Strike or BF from this game is a pretty huge one.

This is the type of gameplay I wanted when I played Battlefield 2.

There were a lot of things about BF2 that frustrated me.
    • The guns weren't accurate enough when looking down the sights and staying still, and they were too accruate when you were running around like an idiot.
    • It took a lot of hits to take someone down, which was very frustrating.
    • I felt like the vehicles detracted from the game, and were only needed because the maps were so big and the fights so spread out.
    • The whole medic side of things was a bit silly. Get shot a few times? Drop a health pack and heal up like magic. Get killed? Don't worry, I have shock paddles, you'll be good as new.
    • There was never a sense of danger or urgency. You could just walk down the street most of the time and you'd be fine. And if you saw an enemy far away, you'd be safe knowing that even if they were shooting at you, they couldn't hit you enough times while you find some cover.

This must be why I like Insurgency. It deals with all of those issues. You die quickly, weapons are very effective and very dangerous, and bunny hopping will only get you killed.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited July 2007
    Added more screenshots to the OP.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    My only complaint is that the US doesn't seem to be able to win much because they only have 7 waves or so.

Last night there was a US team made of a clan and they still lost to random people most of the time.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2007
    I remember that.

I'm not sure they were that familiar with the map at the end. The end of that map can be a little difficult, since the last capture (Delta) is right beside the Insurgent's spawn.

It also seemed like they lost their thunder and organization at the end. They were able to capture the first objective (Alpha) very quickly, and from there move onto Bravo quickly as well. It could just be they didn't know where the last capture area was.

It was a lot of fun to play on an organized server. And I think that 16 player or 24 player servers are a lot more manageable than 32 player servers.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • ZarcathZarcath Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    once you + others get familiar with the maps and know where to go, it gets a lot easier. Especially when you start learning the sweet spots and areas to watch out for.

Only thing bad about this game so far is the rampant team killing and spawn camping. Other then that, game is pretty sweet.

Zarcath on
    edited July 2007
    I think it could use more maps. I'm pretty sure that I've run in circles for a combined hour already.

As in in-game maps.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Shooter McgavinShooter Mcgavin Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    This looks like a very well put together mod, but what makes it different than any other shooter out there?

Shooter Mcgavin on
    banner.gif
    edited July 2007
    This looks like a very well put together mod, but what makes it different than any other shooter out there?
    I uh...

uhhh

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I quite like this mod. It's intense. I was in a hallway, saw a fellow insurgent get shot, ran across a doorway, saw two soldiers. I begin firing, except my gun's still on single shot. Well crap. I strafe to the side, firing blindly, tag both soldiers who spin a bit, falling to the ground.

It felt incredibly cinematic. And when you're on vent being shot at with people barking out trying to figure out where it's coming from, it's epic. There was gunfire everywhere, bullets winging into things, it's quite a good intense game.

It does feel weird to be playing it given the subject matter though.

SniperGuy on
    edited July 2007
    My gripe with the team killing, and I don't mean griefing, is that when you are in the situation where you can't tell who is who, it is almost better to just shoot first and ask questions later. I too yearn for a sense of urgency in action games, but right now the whole suspense in this game seems to hinge on me wondering when a team mate is going to shoot me.

Karn on
    KarnsigRescue.gif
    edited July 2007
    My gripe with the team killing, and I don't mean griefing, is that when you are in the situation where you can't tell who is who, it is almost better to just shoot first and ask questions later. I too yearn for a sense of urgency in action games, but right now the whole suspense in this game seems to hinge on me wondering when a team mate is going to shoot me.
    Communication!

Oh, I also have the problem of having a 100 round drum and it being set on semi-auto by default. What's that about.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2007

Yeah, I understand what you mean, but I think that I'm more worried about myself shooting them, than I am about them shooting me.
    Earlier when I was playing, I turned around a corner and saw two guys and I instantly fired a single shot that killed them both. All too late I realized that they were on my team.

Peewi on
    edited July 2007
    Goomba wrote: »
    Communication!

Oh, I also have the problem of having a 100 round drum and it being set on semi-auto by default. What's that about.

I cannot force people to communicate. That is the problem. In real life, sure, we'd be in constant contact for the most part. But there is no way I can force my team mates in this game to update their positions constantly. And updating my team on my position seems to only work some of the time. :| Like I said, at the moment it seems much more beneficial to shoot first, ask questions later.

Karn on
    KarnsigRescue.gif
    edited July 2007
    Communication!

I cannot force people to communicate. That is the problem. In real life, sure, we'd be in constant contact for the most part. But there is no way I can force my team mates in this game to update their positions constantly. And updating my team on my position seems to only work some of the time. :| Like I said, at the moment it seems much more beneficial to shoot first, ask questions later.
    Well, there's ways to tell teams apart for the most part. Marines mostly looks the same light with a less light vest.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2007
    Well I mostly don't have trouble at close to medium range. Long range is a different story, when they are only shapes and shadowy figures.. :( I dunno. Team killing is always going to be rampant in this game. Accidental team kills happen quite a bit in Red Orchestra, and that actually has a hud. V:)V

Karn on
    KarnsigRescue.gif
  • GroovyMr1337GroovyMr1337 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Game on # 1 for anyone who wants to play with me.

GroovyMr1337 on
    edited July 2007
    My headset mic sounds like crap in Source games but crystal clear in everything else =(

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    There's one of the insurgent models that's brown with a small turban. At a distance he looks exactly like a marine. I shoot that guy a lot :(

Endomatic on
    edited July 2007
    There are exactly 6 types of voices in source voicecom:
    Annoying Kid
    Kid/Girl
    Generic Dude1
    Generic Dude2-laid back
    Generic Dude3-teen
    Indecipherable tongue

Karn on
    KarnsigRescue.gif
    edited July 2007
    Endomatic wrote: »
    There's one of the insurgent models that's brown with a small turban. At a distance he looks exactly like a marine. I shoot that guy a lot :(

I haven't noticed that, but so far I've mostly played as a Marine and not so much as a Insurgent.

Peewi on
  • Pajama_ManPajama_Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

In the option menu you can select your starting fire mode. :P

Pajama_Man on
    camo_sig.png
  • angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    This game is pretty damn good. If you liked RO, you will like this. Once the few bugs are fixed and they balance out class choice (playing Engi or RPG is a slap in the face) I think it will be one of the best multiplayer FPS out there.

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png