As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[SSX] World class tunnel physics simulator

mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
edited March 2012 in Games and Technology
AhmnZ.png

- http://www.ea.com/ssx -

- https://twitter.com/#!/EASPORTSSSX -

Wait, isn't this that grimdark thing everyone hated?

Hell no! The original reboot was subtitled "Deadly Descents" and had a darker tone when it was shown, however the developers have changed the style to something maybe not so crazy as Tricky, but more akin to SSX 3.

But aren't there still wingsuits?

Yes! They kept the neat stuff from the original trailer, so you'll still be equipping various pieces of equipment to make your way through the game. The wingsuits will be needed to cover huge cravasses, you'll be using oxygen for racing down the highest runs, armour for fighting against nature while trying to outrun avalanches and headlamps for night runs. You still have your more traditional gear in the form of boards and outfits, with thousands of randomised items to purchase with in game currency earned from races and online play.

So where's the fake mountain this time?

This is where the new SSX breaks from the series tradition. The devs have take satellite photography and topographical data from several real world mountain ranges and tweaked them to make hundreds of drops on a bunch of different mountains. You'll be racing and tricking down the Himalayas to the Alps and everywhere inbetween, all the while giving each run the traditional SSX flavour.

Shutup and show me!

Videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fwBXN1Afec

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2zBzbMTywM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETyCSZ-l9jI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0ah72D2--E

Screenshots

jhLot.jpg

ZYZNZ.jpg

zSgOw.jpg

Fnff2.jpg

HghPu.jpg

Ok this looks pretty awesome, can I play with my buddies?

Of course! There are rumours that splitscreen may be added in a post-game patch, but don't hold your breath. Whatever this is the 21st century, so EA are doing multiplayer as such with this:

LTVcf.png

If you've played NFS: Hot Pursuit you've seen something like this before. Ridernet is a constant online presence, recoding times and ghost runs on everything you do in the game. Your times and score are compared against the people on your friends list and if you beat them you'll move above them in the rankings and net a few credits in the process. There are a lot more options available too, you can pick dudes to pit yourself against from the leaderboards, take people off your own lists if they are not worthy of your time and plonk down collectables in fiendish locations for people to pick up. Check out the video above form more.

The following should also clear up any issues regarding the "classic" races with all competitors on the mountain at once.
Q: Does SSX have real MP or is it that ghost stuff where your friend isn't really live on the mountain with you…and can you talk to your friend(s) while you're playing online?

A: Of course! Global events are real-time events against other people playing SSX online at the same time and on the same drop as you are. There are time-based tournaments running on every drop in the SSX universe – for example a 15 minute event seeing who can set the highest trick score before the clock hits zero. You pay some in-game credits to enter and are awarded credits based on which bracket you finish in and how many people were in the event – which can be thousands! And you can join them and leave them anytime you want. You don’t have to be there when they start or when they end, just drop in, post a score and move onto another event if you like. Or session one start-to-finish. You can even create custom events for just you and your friends set to your own specifications. I’ve played in 8 global events at the same time – it’s really an awesome and addictive system that perfectly supports all 3 of our event types – race it, trick it, and survive it. There is only 1 ‘ghost’ in a global event, and that is a recorded version of the person’s run that you need to beat in order to move into their bracket. Everyone else is with you live on the mountain in real-time! We have a very thorough in-game messaging system that will allow you to communicate with and find games with your friends.

Anything else?

Well this is EA, so there are a couple of pre-order things floating around.

USA
Gamestop - exclusive Eddie Wachowski and his Elite snowboard with an attribute Perk.
Amazon - Mac’s level 6 Elite snowboard with an attribute Perk.
Origin - Elise’s Elite snowboard with a bonus Perk.
BestBuy - Zoe’s Elite snowboard and an attribute Perk.
Walmart - Kaori’s Elite snowboard with an attribute Perk.

UK
GAME - Eddie, his unique snowboard and additional drop points on Mount Fuji.
Amazon - Kaori’s Elite snowboard with a boost.
HMV - Mac’s Elite snowboard and a bonus boost..
TheHut - Zoe’s Elite snowboard and a bonus boost.
Play.com - Elise’s Elite snowboard w/ boost.

Also Mt. Fuji is a PS3 exclusive in the US with it being included in the "limited" first run in the UK.

Awesome, when's it out?

US - 28 February
EU - 3 March

Are all your friends morons who are not buying SSX? Then play with these dudes!

Xbox 360 Tags
Forum Name - Tag

mere_immortal - lego pencil
Local H Jay - Local H Jay
Nova_C - Nova Collision
Allforce - Allforce
SkyTurnsRed - Skyturnsred
DarkMortainius - DarkMortainius
Sirac - Sirac75
Aistan - Aistan
Angel177 - Angel177
JackKieser - Jack Kieser
UnbreakableVow - DesmondHumeWins
Nalouto - Louzorz
Yellow Ranger - fireboy80x
Knight_ - Knight is Crazy
npreecs - Spunkrake
Dyvim Tvar - Wraith134
PrjctD_Captain - Nyroc B Wing

PSN IDs
Forum Name - ID

DouglasDanger - douglasdanger
DeMoN - Toxic_Cizzle
Automaticzen - AutomaticZen
Renzo - Renzomaru
Medium Dave - Mediumdave
chidona - chidona
cckerberos - cckerberos
BlitzAce1981 - BlitzAce1981
Reynolds - RadSuit
LCDXX - LCDXX
bficky - BFicky
TheScruple - TheScruple
Uselesswarrior - FantasticDamage
Toma - Toma84
ringswraith - ringswraith
horseman85 - dropofh2o
Ah_Pook - Ah_Pook
Johnny Chopsocky - Stud_Beefpile
Fireflash - PatParadize
Crazy Robot - Alien-Six
Handfalcon - Handfalcon
gunwarrior - Gunwarrior
Antihippy - Antiwhippy
Dark Raven X - DRX-777

Trick It tips and HallowedFaith's FUCK YOU trick guide
chidona wrote:
Advice from one of the creators of the game (last name is Batty I think - crossposting from the merqury city forums):

-sig trick worth most

-flips worth more than spins

-when not doing sig trick do L-R, R-L, B-X or X-B. The 2-input/step tricks are worth much more than the single button press

-never dupe your trick. If you see dupe trick callout off a big jump rewind immediately and re-jump, you'll get more in the long run even with the penalty

-never change your trick mid-flight

-build your multiplier up as fast as possible. Get into super tricky and do one grind trick after another at about a 1 second per cadence (if your multiplier doesn't go up you are doing it too fast). Once at 20x never change your grind trick mid-grind

-one combo top to bottom, learn to watch the little chevrons beside your main score, they are the combo timer. Do a manual if no jumps, but can always just ollie

-use the terrain for big air opps anytime, just boost up the wall and then jump off. Can double the number of tricks you can do in a single run. This is really the key once you master the above and what will keep people playing this game forever
So for those having trouble with the trick system. I have broken it down on how to maintain high trick scores, at least for the demo. I jumped nearly 10m when I had a solid run after I figured it out.

Never stop tricking. It's really that simple. There are some tricks to tricking, so I will explain them here as I see them.

The combo system has about a 4-5 second refresh give or take, that clock refreshes every time you do a trick. I believe this time to be extended based on the style of the trick, ala - tricks that can be held for a long time increase the clocks value to reach. So basically, keep doing tricks.

Tricks about tricks while doing tricks:
In the air those SUPER UBER tricks are awesome, but they should be finishers. Use all your grabs and manuals in the air to get out combos as fast as you can before bringing out the big boys. One trick might be worth X amount of points and take up 5-8 seconds and look awesome, or you can do 4 or 5 tricks that boost your multiplier and are also worth points. Time management.

Landing Tricks: (I want to make a slut joke here)
Your character looks awesome while flipping in the air! Wheee! FUCK YOU. Your character looks awesome crossing the finish line with shitty points. Yeah. Thought so.

Watch the mountain not your character. Learn the map. Why? Because landing is where the money maker is and unless you're fucking Superman you won't be in the air 100% of the time. Since you're not a space alien you need to maintain tricks to "bridge" those combos as you line up your next jump. Use manuals while riding, remember the 4 second rule to take advantage of, remember that as you land you should be hitting a manual as soon as you can.

Combo meter = money! Bank ass combo meter will ensure many millions of points.

Things that kill the combo meter are as follows:
Running into things.
Letting the combo meter run out.
Running out of Tricky.
Using the time rewind toy.
Your Mamma.

So all in all, the idea is to get the combo meter as high as you can, maintain tricky at all times, and don't wipe out.

Additional Notation:
The "uber trick" each character has is the best way to get tricky right off the bat. However it has diminishing returns on the volume of tricky it delivers as you use it again. This resets over time though.
The combo meter is the one on the left.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
mere_immortal on

• AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    I changed my stance based on this OP. I'm in for one NEW copy WITH online pass!

Gamertag: Allforce

• mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    How the heck do you do colour text on vanilla?

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    This game looks at least 75% more tricky than the grimdark shit from last year :D

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    yeah between this having a passable online pass (:P), and syndicate simply not having one, EA is taking a few steps in the right direction.
    can't wait to get tricky in this bitch

• TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    I....I had not idea the game looked so good. It's going straight into my "if I get a raise soon, PREORDER" list.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Can you make your own character?

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    no, but there are still tons of ways to customize the riders we do have

• corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    Day 1.

• AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    My PSN tag is the same as here: AutomaticZen

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    PSN here.

Renzomaru

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    I can't decide if I'm going to go PS3 or 360 yet. XBL usually implements online things better, but PS3 gets the extra mountain and PS2 was where I played hundreds of hours of tricky so I prefer the controls to the odd 360 ones...

Decisions!

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • SkyTurnsRedSkyTurnsRed Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Skyturnsred is my Gamertag on Xbox Live. Feel free to add me, I won't bite.

360 folk - I propose that we get a day 1 multiplayer game going. What time would work for anyone else? I'd be good pretty much anytime after 5 central.

SkyTurnsRed on
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    I'm in the same boat as you Knight.

newSig.jpg
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Skyturnsred is my Gamertag on Xbox Live. Feel free to add me, I won't bite.

360 folk - I propose that we get a day 1 multiplayer game going. What time would work for anyone else? I'd be good pretty much anytime after 5 central.

Looking at the second online features video it looks like there are no traditional races where everyone lines up at the start for a single run, instead you create a custom global event and set it to friends/friends of friends etc. and leave it open for a set amount of time.

mere_immortal on
  • Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    PSN - Mediumdave

I've played all my SSX games on Sony consoles and would continue to do so.

I would also pay EA upwards of 20 dollars for a SSX HD collection where they Tony Hawk HD collection the SSX games. All the tracks and characters in one, glorious package.

• chidonachidona Registered User regular
    PSN - Chidona

Been waiting years for this game. Literally thought they just forgot about the entire franchise.

• AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    yeah between this having a passable online pass (:P), and syndicate simply not having one, EA is taking a few steps in the right direction.
    can't wait to get tricky in this bitch

I'm holding off even calling it "passable" until I read the reviews. I have a feeling we're going to find out the "online pass' essentially makes online play for anyone without it pretty tough by denying access to the perks and items that you unlock to go faster, get more air, increase boost meter, faster trick multipliers, etc. If everything you unlock is purely cosmetic and has no gameplay value and/or give the people who unlock it a competitive edge then I'd be absolutely shocked.

It'll be like playing COD online only everyone else gets machine guns and you can only use a pistol. Oh I should email Activision with that!

• DarkMortainiusDarkMortainius Registered User regular
    Xbox - DarkMortainius

Be nice to have some people actually playing games on my friends list. Stupid Netflix.

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    With the online pass, you earn credits every time someone attempts to beat your record on a track and fails. If they try 10 times, you earn credits every time.

Without the online pass, you don't earn those credits.

That's it.

You still earn credits for everything else you do, which lets you buy gear that improves your abilities and allows you to do deadly descents.

• BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    Count me in for the PS3 version; ID is BlitzAce1981, surprisingly enough.

PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    PSN - cckerberos

cckerberos.png
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Going PS3. PSN: Brownchiclets

This is seriously my most anticipated game of the year. Can't wait.

• SiracSirac Registered User regular
    Gamertag: Sirac75

Going to be tricky finding much time at first, between Amalur and ME3. And I will likely be getting my ass kicked when I do. But I expect to enjoy it regardless!

• NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    How does the PS3 bonus mountain work?

Is it any copy of the game gets it or is that a pre-order bonus?

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    It bothers me that they didn't just call this SSX 4.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    Wait, this isn't two player? Is that a joke?

steam_sig.png
    It bothers me that they didn't just call this SSX 4.

But it's not the 4th game in the series...?

Going with just "SSX" seems like a decent business decision to me. It's been a long enough break that a lot of younger gamers won't be familiar with the series.

cckerberos.png
    edited February 2012
    SSX 5 then (blur doesn't count).

SSX is more difficult to google and I'm a crotchety old man.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
    Nappuccino wrote:

Everybody gets it.

I'm a little confused... I just pre-ordered on Amazon, and "release date delivery" was actually the cheapest shipping option (only $0.99). Is that normal?

cckerberos.png
    edited February 2012
    cckerberos wrote:
    I'm a little confused... I just pre-ordered on Amazon, and "release date delivery" was actually the cheapest shipping option (only $0.99). Is that normal?

Yeah that's Amazon's pre-order shipping.

Man I am really tempted to pre-order this, the Giant Bomb quick look is selling me on it.

I wonder if DJ Atomica is back.

Uselesswarrior on
    edited February 2012
    cckerberos wrote:
    Nappuccino wrote:

Everybody gets it.

the game is also 45 dollars from from TRU with free shipping.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

edited February 2012
    TRU?

No idea what TRU is but newegg is price matching, http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=314694.

Uselesswarrior on
    Any word on which version is suppose to be superior, or I suppose it's way too early for that.

I'll probably go PS3 for the extra mountain and free online support.

TRU?

No idea what TRU is but newegg is price matching, http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=314694.

Toys R Us

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    PSN : RadSuit

I really don't want to cancel my order with Amazon, but this is getting a bit silly. I've been sending them TRU's price every day. I guess now I'll have to start sending both. A free in-game board isn't really worth paying more.

uyvfOQy.png
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Dang, that's a pretty good price. Looks like i'll be getting this right away after all.

360: Aistan

• Free Giraffe Rides!!!Free Giraffe Rides!!! Registered User regular
    No grimdark? No purchase. I demand black snow!

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I have decided on the PS3 version

I am adding all of you PS3 duders right now

• LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    PSN: LCDXX

Preordered. All over this. Can't fucking wait.

XBL: LCDXX | PSN: LCDXX | Steam: LCDXX
    edited February 2012
    Do you have to add people to your universal friends lists to see their scores in this game, or is there a separate friends list just for SSX? I know the game isn't out yet, but I imagine it will be similar to what EA had before in Hot Pursuit.

Because no offense, but I don't even know you people.

Uselesswarrior on