As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pre/Post PAX Maryland Meetup

• MalgarasMalgaras Registered User regular
    seanmadi wrote:
    I wouldn't be able to make it tomorrow (Saturday), but I would love to play some games in Glen Burnie on another day.

On a side note: is anyone looking to share a hotel or ride up to Boston? I have a party of 3 and I'm trying to make the 16 tolls on the way there cheaper... Or has anyone gotten plane/train tickets for less than $90 each way?

As was said pax train is the way to go. ~$70 each way and there's something like 50 of us already booked (Sonic Line).

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/149698/east-pax-east-train-alliance-2012/p1

1tLJUH2O.png
  • PsykusPsykus Registered User regular
    gespo89 wrote:
    seanmadi wrote:
    I wouldn't be able to make it tomorrow (Saturday), but I would love to play some games in Glen Burnie on another day.

On a side note: is anyone looking to share a hotel or ride up to Boston? I have a party of 3 and I'm trying to make the 16 tolls on the way there cheaper... Or has anyone gotten plane/train tickets for less than $90 each way?

As was said pax train is the way to go. ~$70 each way and there's something like 50 of us already booked (Sonic Line).

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/149698/east-pax-east-train-alliance-2012/p1

I remember someone had Amtrak discounts available for PAX East goers last year, have anyone heard about this year?

• inkybrushesinkybrushes Registered User regular
    Hey, sorry it took awhile to get back to you guys. The store is totally cool with food as long as you clean it up afterwards, if anyone wants to do something on the 28th, that should be good.

• HuskyDorkHuskyDork Registered User regular
    Psykus wrote:
    I remember someone had Amtrak discounts available for PAX East goers last year, have anyone heard about this year?

I haven't heard anything about a PAX discount for this year. Amtrak's running a good deal - 25% off Northeast Regional fares - but it's not combinable with other discounts, so it's probably a better deal than using a PAX discount (which was 10% off last year, I think).

LQckybu.png
    edited February 2012
    Hmm, I see that Dream Wizards has a yugioh and pokemon tournaments at 12:30 and 1:00 on the 12th. Think that's going to be an issue? I'll give them a call this weekend and see what they say but we all know how accurate their estimates are from last time...

Malgaras on
    1tLJUH2O.png
  • nevermore13nevermore13 Registered User regular
    I wish there was another place in Rockville. Barring that and I don't want to inconvenience people do we move to Games and Stuff, switch the date or find yet another place?

edited February 2012
    I wish there was another place in Rockville. Barring that and I don't want to inconvenience people do we move to Games and Stuff, switch the date or find yet another place?
    Well, let's see how big these events are before we jump ship. They've had other events with space to spare before. They are weekly so if nothing else, can call and check if they have space this Sunday during the events and use that as a benchmark for starters. In fact, since we have a good number of people IN Rockville, if someone has a minute to swing by and see how crowded things are this Sunday, that would be fantastic since it's the same stuff going on as on the 12th (although the superbowl might effect things this week, but they are 6 hours apart so IDK). So far, it seems like only the magic tournaments have really been an issue.

In short, let's not start shuffling things around until we're sure there's an issue to begin with.

Malgaras on
    1tLJUH2O.png
  • zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Agreed, however if we decide to shuffle, location is probably easier than dates as most of us have an easier time driving to a different location than getting a different day off.

• adastraadastra Registered User regular
    Any updates about the 12th?

I actually ended up at Dream Wizards last weekend when I was in the area, and found it to be a mob scene as it seems to be nearly every weekend. While a lot of tables weren't actually being used, the tournament's waiting players blocked access to the entrance, the counter, and nearly all of the shelves of games. Bleh. I haven't actually made a purchase there in months because it's so annoying to shop there. :(

BTW, going to point Balto-area folks to this event happening next weekend. Not sure if it'll impact our availability to game or not.

• Exodus1Exodus1 MarylandRegistered User regular
    gespo89 wrote:
    Hmm, I see that Dream Wizards has a yugioh and pokemon tournaments at 12:30 and 1:00 on the 12th. Think that's going to be an issue? I'll give them a call this weekend and see what they say but we all know how accurate their estimates are from last time...
    Those two are weekly events, which generally (and I know we've struck out before) only occupy a couple tables each, from 2-3 previous experiences. We usually only run into issues when there is some sort of release or qualifier event. If you've already called, let me know gespo, if not I will call and try to get a solid confirmation that we'll be able to game there.

If worse comes to worst, we hold the meet at Games and Stuff instead, I will post any changes here and on the calender with ample notice.

Exodus1 wrote:
    gespo89 wrote:
    Those two are weekly events, which generally (and I know we've struck out before) only occupy a couple tables each, from 2-3 previous experiences. We usually only run into issues when there is some sort of release or qualifier event. If you've already called, let me know gespo, if not I will call and try to get a solid confirmation that we'll be able to game there.

If worse comes to worst, we hold the meet at Games and Stuff instead, I will post any changes here and on the calender with ample notice.
    I called once yesterday and got a machine. I'll try again tomorrow since I called today like a moron then remembered they're closed. If you get a hold of them, that works too.

1tLJUH2O.png
    edited February 2012
    Well, I gave them a call, and he said that space very well could be an issue, and then that it probably wouldn't be, and then to call them the day of. So.... umm... what? The message I get is that they don't have a clue.

Malgaras on
    1tLJUH2O.png
    Hrmmm, is there anyone here who can't make it to games and stuff Sunday if we decide to hold it there instead of dream wizards?

shadowfae and I could do either location on Sunday. We'll be wherever, there may be up to four of us.

For reasons mentioned above, I'd probably favor Games and Stuff. It's an easier drive and I like the store better. :)

I'd personally support a move to G&S as well. I'd hate to get the shaft at DW again like last time, but I'll be there wherever we wind up.

1tLJUH2O.png
    edited February 2012
    G&S is in Glen Burnie, right?

EDIT: Disregard that question, haha. Glen Burnie is a bit closer for me so I'm up for either location really.

Psykus on
  • fyeahckingfyeahcking Registered User regular
    Sounds like folks prefer G&S to DW for Sunday; that said, it's about ten times farther from my place than DW so I won't pretend I'm in the same boat. :)

I can probably make it anyway if it's at G&S, but I'll probably be a bit time-constrained.

gespo89 wrote:
    Well, I gave them a call, and he said that space very well could be an issue, and then that it probably wouldn't be, and then to call them the day of. So.... umm... what? The message I get is that they don't have a clue.

There is a WoW Qualifier at Games and Stuff on Sunday, with another tournament going on as well, which worries me. I will call both shops (Dream Wizards first) and see if either one can give me a "reservation" of space as it were. Although I agree that Games and Stuff has better staff and is in my opinion the better shop, I'd still like to alternate meets since so many people are in the Rockville area.

That said, if Dream Wizards isn't willing to work with us on space, then there's really only one answer, unless we know of any other reputable shops in the area. I know that Beyond Comics is moving to a new location in Gaithersburg soon, which I believe will include an area for tabletop stuff, and I had planned on discussing it with the manager as the staff there is always super cool as well.

edited February 2012
    Ok, spoke with one of the better guys at Dream Wizards, he's said we can use their center area (more near the board game shelves) to set up 2-3 tables, I estimated about 10 people in our group. So, this Sunday Feb. 12th at Dream Wizards as planned! :rotate:

Exodus1 on
  • TabooPhantasyTabooPhantasy Registered User regular
    Hot diggity dog! I am super excited about this you guys. Maybe I can actually make it to this one!

~Taboo
    BH11Fnk.png
    Ok that works for me we really need to just buy a shop where we can hold our meetups so we don't have to go through this.

Ok that works for me we really need to just buy a shop where we can hold our meetups so we don't have to go through this.
    I think we should all just chip in and buy me a huge house, and I will let us game there because I'm such a nice guy.

1tLJUH2O.png
  • Sentient6Sentient6 Mad Grad Student Registered User regular
    So I'm in if anyone is passing through the college park area and can give me a ride. There's no metrobus from my apartment on sundays -_-.

Sentient6 wrote:
    So I'm in if anyone is passing through the college park area and can give me a ride. There's no metrobus from my apartment on sundays -_-.
    It's a little bit out of the way but if nobody closer can pick you up, let me know and I can swing by.

1tLJUH2O.png
    What time are we looking at for the Dream Wizards meetup? Anytime we feel like showing up?

Does 11 am sound good?

gespo89 wrote:
    Sentient6 wrote:
    It's a little bit out of the way but if nobody closer can pick you up, let me know and I can swing by.

Thanks I'd appreciate it. I feel like a bit of a bum these days without my own form of transportation.

edited February 2012
    zepherin wrote:
    Does 11 am sound good?
    Well, we've got 11 on the events Calendar, so I would assume that's what we're shooting for.

Sentient6 wrote:
    gespo89 wrote:
    Sentient6 wrote:

Thanks I'd appreciate it. I feel like a bit of a bum these days without my own form of transportation.
    Don't worry about it. I got my driver's license really late and I've had to bum more rides that you can imagine. Just send me an email gespo89@gmail.com with your address/number and I'll give you a ring before I leave in the morning.

Malgaras on
    1tLJUH2O.png
    Any requests from the game list?

Our group should be me +shadowfae +1. Looking forward to another epic day of gaming!

Any time someone has enough games to warrant a spreadsheet, you know it's serious. That said, I'd say bring a) your dominion stuff, and b) your favorite thing out of all of that. :)

11 is fine with me; see you guys there.

gespo89 wrote:
    zepherin wrote:
    Does 11 am sound good?
    Well, we've got 11 on the events Calendar, so I would assume that's what we're shooting for.

Sentient6 wrote:
    gespo89 wrote:
    Sentient6 wrote:

Don't worry about it. I got my driver's license really late and I've had to bum more rides that you can imagine. Just send me an email gespo89@gmail.com with your address/number and I'll give you a ring before I leave in the morning.

Thanks, much obliged.

I'll be bringing Battlestar Galactica again just in case anyone wants to play it. And I won't forget the cylon card this time. I promise.

fyeahcking wrote:
    Any time someone has enough games to warrant a spreadsheet, you know it's serious. That said, I'd say bring a) your dominion stuff, and b) your favorite thing out of all of that. :)

It is serious! But mostly, it reflects a collection of games belonging to multiple people and this really helps us keep what everyone has straight so we can plan beforehand when we game together. :D

I can always go for Dominion, and I just downloaded an app that helps you randomize a kingdom out of whatever expansions you have.

adastra wrote:
    fyeahcking wrote:

It is serious! But mostly, it reflects a collection of games belonging to multiple people and this really helps us keep what everyone has straight so we can plan beforehand when we game together. :D

I can always go for Dominion, and I just downloaded an app that helps you randomize a kingdom out of whatever expansions you have.

It's cool that someone set up an app for that! I have a perl script I wrote that I can run from my phone (if my internet's working and my home server's on..) that does the same thing. I have Hinterlands and Intrigue on the table next to me, so I'll bring them along tomorrow just in case. I have a whole ton of Catan stuff that I may bring and leave in the car unless it's needed, as well. See you guys in under 12 hours!

zepherin wrote:
    Does 11 am sound good?

Yea, we're shooting for 11. 8-)

Yea adastra bring whatever you want. I'll probably bring my old school MTG decks in case anyone wants to play since they are easily transported

edited February 2012
    Yea adastra bring whatever you want. I'll probably bring my old school MTG decks in case anyone wants to play since they are easily transported
    Just found my old elf deck a couple weeks ago so maybe we can get some magic in tomorrow, or is it today now I guess? Man I better get to sleep soon.
    fyeahcking wrote:
    I have Hinterlands and Intrigue on the table next to me, so I'll bring them along tomorrow just in case. I have a whole ton of Catan stuff that I may bring and leave in the car unless it's needed, as well. See you guys in under 12 hours!
    Well, I've got prosperity and seaside coming with me, so sounds like we will have quite a set between the 3 of us.

Malgaras on
    1tLJUH2O.png
    well shit I'm awake. Guess I should shower drink coffee eat and get a move on.

I grabbed the Dominion base box with my promo cards and Alchemy. So close to all of the expansions and variants! I'd actually love to get some time in with unfamiliar Dominions in case I take on a tournament at PAX.

I think we're up to 4 now. One of us has been wishy-washy. :-P

Heading to the shop, see you all shortly! Remember my contact info is on the first page of the thread if you get lost/need help!

Running late be there around 1:00