As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Castle Shikigami(式神の城) Fan Translation Project

cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm RegentBears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
edited February 2012 in Games and Technology
So I really love Castle Shikigami.

Around a year ago, I got the crazy idea to ask at a few fan translation sites about taking on a fan translation of the first game in the series, since it's never gotten a proper localization.

The first game was released on the PS2 in the US, if you can call it that.
mlf2a.jpg

All the dialogue was removed from the game, and they pretended it had no story at all.
(Even the opening text was removed, but oddly enough, the book explains everything.)

So, I got ahold of the PC version.

shiki1jpps2a.jpg

Shikigami doesn't have a very elaborate plot. There's snippets of dialogue between characters and bosses, barely 20-30 lines of dialogue per story.

S1b.jpg

The dialogue it does have though, in series tradition, can get pretty dang convoluted.

A group of psychic investigators set out to stop a series of murders committed by vengeful spirits, and to stop them, they have to endure a hell of a lot of bullets.

s1s3boss2.jpg

It's been a year of slow but steady progress, since a hacker volunteered to help in what's probably as obscure as a labor of love could ever get.

For months, we had no idea how to get the script out of this game.

When we found out why: There wasn't one.

All of Shiki's text was stored in graphic format. So we had to edit the images, and reinsert them back into the game.

Once we figured THAT out, the translation hit the ground running, thanks to the help of some awesome freelance translators(a couple of whom I found from here, no less).

And now, here we are.

op.png
sayo3.png
fumi.png

50% completion. Three characters left to go.

If you're interested, we're always glad to have beta testers. If you have Shikigami no Shiro EX(the PC version), send me a PM and I can get you the files you need.

Otherwise, I'll be glad to update when we have the patch ready.

It's been an exciting experience.

wVEsyIc.png
cj iwakura on

• Options
    CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    Why this and not Nanayozuki?

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Because this game was butchered by XS Games and didn't receive a proper US release. It's also a PC game, and thus easier to mod.

Nanayozuki is a VN, and would take a lot more time and effort. This is our first project.
    (For the unfamiliar, Nanayozuki Gensoukyoku is a Castle Shikigami visual novel/shmup. Seriously.
    http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/shikigami/shikigami4.htm)

Not to say I wouldn't like to do Nanayozuki eventually, but that'd be a lot more work.

And I'm not entirely sure more than 10 people will care about this. I'd probably be the only person on the internet who'd play a translated Nanayozuki.

This is to complete the circle of the Shiki trilogy in English.

Then other things. (Maybe even a redone Shiki 2, if people don't think the 'translated' version isn't perfect already; which some think it is.)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Interesting, I would like to know more.

I actually wouldn't mind a entire thread on hilariously bad Americanized versions of Japanese games. There something of a rarity nowadays--instead, they just don't have NA versions--but there were some real doozies back then. Turning Ranma 1/2: Chounai Gekitou Hen into Street Combat for example.

Or the cover for Battlemania on Megadrive--since they could edit so much of the actual game itself, I guess. What are the odds that the American cover would look ten years older than the Japanese one? I guess it did come out in the US a year earlier...
    640px-Troubleshooter_md_us_cover.jpg

BattleMania_MD_JP_Box.jpg

Anyway, hopefully you guys won't get stalled a bit past 50% like a lot of translation efforts.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Gennojo Hyuga's script is currently in the works, so I wouldn't worry about that.

No one's more excited about this coming to fruition than me, and I will see it through.

Currently debating whether or not to edit the title screen.

sns.png

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Decisions, decisions. Presuming you can do anything more technically elaborate like an animation morphing the title art to the English name, you might just want to settle with a small title bar underneath or to the side of the graphic or maybe even nothing at all.

• Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    Isn't half the draw of the Shikigami series the terrible scripts and localizations? This seems akin to trying to "properly" translate the original Resident Evil - a lot of work that seems like it would make it better but actually just removes the fun kitch value.

• Options
    Isn't half the draw of the Shikigami series the terrible scripts and localizations? This seems akin to trying to "properly" translate the original Resident Evil - a lot of work that seems like it would make it better but actually just removes the fun kitch value.

I disagree, because Shikigami 3 gave the game a proper translation, and was all the better for it.

Shikigami 2's script, hilarity aside, makes a mockery of a genuinely good story. So that was never an option for this project.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Made a video of Fumiko's campaign, running the translated script.

http://www.twitch.tv/cj_iwakura/b/307584042

Ending is still due to be patched, but it's a start!

I'll be youtubeing it soon.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Title screen drama!

One that someone at NeoGAF helped me do:

iWpnxE8tAA7Zf.jpg

And one that someone from Romhacking did because he didn't like it(:()

snsxelargefiltered.png

I love the font of the first, and the placement of the second.

I'm working on a happy medium.

Also, Gennojo's script is go.

g1-1.png

Tagami and Kim are all that's left.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Chrono HelixChrono Helix Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote:
    Title screen drama!

One that someone at NeoGAF helped me do:

iWpnxE8tAA7Zf.jpg

And one that someone from Romhacking did because he didn't like it(:()

snsxelargefiltered.png

I prefer the second one, if only just for the fact that the kanji in the title banner hasn't been replaced.

• Options
    The final character script is complete.

232px-TagamiGraphic.png

Tagami, a silent character with a mysterious past, originally a hidden character, newly available in the PC & PS2 versions.

tagami1.jpg

She has no dialogue whatsoever, but that doesn't mean the bosses won't have things to say to her.

If you want to unveil the truth of the Castle of Shikigami, this is the route for you.

Tagami is hiding all the secrets.

She originally appeared in Alfa System's classic lightgun shooter, Elemental Gearbolt.

Tagamieg.jpg

Dialogue time!

tagami2.jpg
    tagami3.jpg
    tagami4.jpg
    tagami5.jpg

So what's left, you ask?

*The Art Gallery
    *The End Credits
    *The Endings
    *Errata

So, we're at 85%.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    NintenNinten Registered User regular
    Great progress, man. Never played Shikigami though.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT7u0GoczTk

Very close to the finish line. Endings should be implemented later today.

Mild spoilers for Tagami's path, also didn't have audio enabled because Fraps hates me.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Is this a suitable thread to make fun of the charactrs in Akai Katana?

Because apparently the proper action to atone for killing your girlfriend is to crossdress.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Looking forward to this release.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Cantido wrote: »
    Is this a suitable thread to make fun of the charactrs in Akai Katana?

Because apparently the proper action to atone for killing your girlfriend is to crossdress.

No, but it's a game I want.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    I, for one, am in the camp that shiki 2 is perfect.

I still have the disk, its so good.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Alfa.jpg

Open Beta Time!

settei3.jpg

All the endings and story dialogue is done. The gallery and errata's gonna take a little time.

So I want to share what we have done.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?q3l1mekyopodt87

You need Shikigami no Shiro EX installed on your computer to run the patch.

I have included everything you need beyond that.
    Replace the appropriate files, and enjoy. (We'll work out a proper patch installer before long.)

Of course, this is a beta, so this isn't quite finished. We expect feedback(and/or hatemail).

Read the translation guide if you have questions, I spent like an hour of it.
    (Read all of it, I think you'll like what awaits at the end.)

Screens

fumi.png
    sayo2.png
    k1.jpg
    g1-1.png
    tagami3.jpg

ENJOY! :D

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    RofflorRofflor Adventurer Registered User regular
    This is a nice find for me! A lovely little project!
    Will try it this weekend.

I've have a 1cc clear of Shikigami 2 arcade with 3 characters and love the series so this is just a treat.

76561197968655073.png
  • Options
    So I had the crazy idea of including voice acting in the final version.

So we're taking auditions.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options