As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MLP: FiM: For the New Lunar Old Republic

• LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Clearly Twilight bought three editions of the same book . . . One of them being the one Rainbow Dash is reading, one being the variation title, "Daring-Do and the Philosopher's Sapphire Stone", and one being, um . . . written in Fancy.

I actually did find the British editions of several Harry Potter books in a Value Village here in Seattle. It's really neat spotting the little differences, like "trainers" vs "sneakers" and "jumper" instead of "sweater".

LadyM on
  • Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    LadyM wrote: »
    I actually did find the British editions of several Harry Potter books in a Value Village here in Seattle. It's really neat spotting the little differences, like "trainers" vs "sneakers" and "jumper" instead of "sweater".

those might actually be canadian versions, as I more recall reading "jumpers" than "sweaters"

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    12498420-20artist_musapan20comic20doctor20rainbow_dash.png

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Doctor Doogie Hooveser

no... :/

• Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    It never fails to blow my mind how quickly an MLP episode can be turned into an avalanche of images.

I'm waiting for the inevitable comics with House or Scrubs ponies talking with Rainbow Dash.

Great episode. It's amazing how the show can be funny while providing the little life lessons to the story (ie reading is kinda awesome and everyone should do it).

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
    edited February 2012

those might actually be canadian versions, as I more recall reading "jumpers" than "sweaters"

Could be . . . did the Canadian version also have "the Philosopher's Stone" as the title of the first book?

Oh, these versions also use "jelly" instead of "JELL-O", which I like way better. It was so strange, this disconnection with the Muggle world except they had Jell-O at the school feasts. Like, were house elves trundling around muggle grocery stores pushing shopping carts full of it, or what?

LadyM on
    Joolander wrote:
    Doctor Doogie Hooveser

no... :/

WAIT

something about "Stable Condition"?

• SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    Joolander wrote:
    also, I think this is the first time they've actually shown written words in english

YDG6t.jpg

• Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular

Could be . . . did the Canadian version also have "the Philosopher's Stone" as the title of the first book?

Oh, these versions also use "jelly" instead of "JELL-O", which I like way better. It was so strange, this disconnection with the Muggle world except they had Jell-O at the school feasts. Like, were house elves trundling around muggle grocery stores pushing shopping carts full of it, or what?

yeah, that sounds right. Wait, it wasn't "the Philosopher's Stone" in the US version?. As for house elves and jell-o, I can only assume they were sent out two at a time, one on the others shoulders and wearing a trench coat that was strictly stipulated as being a work tool.

jnij103vqi2i.png
    oh yeah

then what's the deal with the sisterhooves social fliers?

tumblr_lu8uehoafD1qgex26o1_500.png

• FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    LadyM wrote:

They really spelled it "Jell-O" instead of the genericized "jello"?

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • FactorySquirrelFactorySquirrel Marceline's Henchman Land of OooRegistered User regular
    shed.mov is disgusting. The only good/decent/non-horrible part was the animals playing xylophone on their ribs and being the chorus. Other than that, it was really offensive.

"That man is playing Galaga! He thought we wouldn't notice. But we did."
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    product placement. its also why Harry's broom was an Audi and Hermione's time turner was a Timex piece

tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu

They did. It looked sooo out of place.
    yeah, that sounds right. Wait, it wasn't "the Philosopher's Stone" in the US version?.

In the US they changed it to "the Sorceror's Stone", for reasons I have never understood. They explained how the philosopher's/sorceror's stone worked in the book, so it's not like kids who weren't familiar with the philosopher stone legend wouldn't have understood . . . *shrug*
    As for house elves and jell-o, I can only assume they were sent out two at a time, one on the others shoulders and wearing a trench coat that was strictly stipulated as being a work tool.

:^: :^:

• BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular

yeah, that sounds right. Wait, it wasn't "the Philosopher's Stone" in the US version?. As for house elves and jell-o, I can only assume they were sent out two at a time, one on the others shoulders and wearing a trench coat that was strictly stipulated as being a work tool.

When I read the first book it was the Philosopher's Stone, it could've been the British version though. I remember reading it and trying to tell my friends about it but none of them had ever heard of Harry Potter.

Ask Fluttershy and Pinkiepie is the newest EqD "Ask Tumblr Spotlight".

• FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    LadyM wrote:

They did. It looked sooo out of place.

Which only reinforces the lesson to never use a budget translator. Although frankly the americans and brits should get together and settle the issue of american english and brittish english once and for all.

...In a no holds barred deathmatch.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
    I'm pretty sure that's what the war of 1812 was about

• RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    12498420-20artist_musapan20comic20doctor20rainbow_dash.png

He looked a lot like Caramel with the exception of the cutie mark and horn.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
    Joolander wrote:
    oh yeah

then what's the deal with the sisterhooves social fliers?

tumblr_lu8uehoafD1qgex26o1_500.png

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Aurebesh
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/High_Galactic_Alphabet

• Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Ahuizotl reminds me of a humanimal.

broken image link
  • PersonfacePersonface HAIL GAY SATANRegistered User regular
    Ahuizotl is an actual obscure south american mythological creature, continuing their trend of more esoteric monsters
    This episode wasn't the best for me because the message sort of hijacked the whole plot, but Dash is always great and the Daring Do sequences were seriously fun.
    Also references galore - Indy AND the Great Escape?
    Love both Dash's mussed hospital-hair (moreso than her usual look) and her interior design, which is crazy rad.

• Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    5DUER.png

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
    why aren't those crocodiles on the ceiling?

Man Spike and Twilight have really dropped off the stage since the others started writing
    Not complaining, just noting

• Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    I don't know, Spike had a full episode to himself, we've just had a lot of episodes that don't need Twilight Sparkle and it's better to just not have her then having to force her into the story.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    Personface wrote:
    Man Spike and Twilight have really dropped off the stage since the others started writing
    Not complaining, just noting

I was thinking about that today too. I like it, it's better than them trying to do episodes about other characters and still being forced to shoehorn Twilight in.

I've come to the conclusion we will get a pets only episode before Scootaloo gets one.

No, like I said, not complaining
    I actually prefer it this way. I'm just noting the contrast by comparison to the first season where every episode had to have a contrived excuse to feature Twilight
    And now we can go three episodes in a row with neither hide nor hair

• FactorySquirrelFactorySquirrel Marceline's Henchman Land of OooRegistered User regular
    Is it just my imagination, or is Daring-Do played by a different voice actress than Rainbow Dash? Or maybe it's just Ashleigh Ball doing a slightly different voice?

Is it just my imagination, or is Daring-Do played by a different voice actress than Rainbow Dash? Or maybe it's just Ashleigh Ball doing a slightly different voice?

Every aspect of Do was designed to evoke Dash (eyes, mane, wings, attitude) so I would be extremely surprised if it wasn't Ashleigh with a slightly deeper voice
    Basically RD without the adolescent rasp

• JMan711JMan711 6'8" weighs a f*&#ing ton He's coming, he's coming, he's comingRegistered User regular
    I loved the facial expressions when Dash was trying to fake sleeping. While the animation is already top notch, I keep forgetting that the show is done in Flash, which is one of the hardest programs to do animation in.

steam_sig.png
  • SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    unsuccessful merch run today.
    both of my walmarts have an empty shelf space & price tag for blind bags, but no actual tiny ponies.
    toys r us had neither the 12-piece set nor any of the keychains.

• rc_techrc_tech Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    rc_tech on
    "When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis
    edited February 2012
    There's some good artings in that gallery.

VnAGU.jpg

SabreMau on
  • Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    JMan711 wrote:
    I loved the facial expressions when Dash was trying to fake sleeping. While the animation is already top notch, I keep forgetting that the show is done in Flash, which is one of the hardest programs to do animation in.

Something I didn't realise until I rewatched the episode in HD was how they'd made the Daring Do scenes look like an old film, with a scratchy grain effect and colours bleeding out of the top and bottom of the frame.

steam_sig.png
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Great episode. So many amazing references and laugh out loud moments. Lesson wasn't very heavy handed either, which I was worried it was going to be in this episode.

The "awesome" at the end was suuuuper :3 too.

Also:

"There's no reason to run around causing a rukus"

"FRAKAS"

"...causing a... frakas"

aeNqQM9.jpg
    I liked the entrance to the temple being a callback to the Diamond Dogs design.

steam_sig.png
    edited February 2012
    SabreMau wrote:
    There's some good artings in that gallery

and not all of them are humanized

spoiled for long
    rarity_don__t_know_how_to_vengeance_by_glancojusticar-d4o8w2o.jpg
    homewolk_is_fun_by_glancojusticar-d4jgriz.jpg

and Human Rainbow Dash at her job
    weathermare__uhh_i_mean_weathergirl_by_glancojusticar-d4nf5rx.jpg

Joolander on
    Human Smarty Pants! I really like her hair!

And Human weather girl Rainbow Dash is spot-on!

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Oh mah god that Twilight picture with smarty pants. Super cute.

This art style is really great.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    cuteness overload behind this spoiler
    KyR51.gif

This discussion has been closed.