As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dungeon Defenders] - Dungeon Defenders II: The Dungeoning coming soon! Free-to-play!

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I am logging on now. Someone better invite me or so help me... I guess I'll play alone.

Fencingsax on
  • noweatnoweat Registered User regular
    so after taking advantage of the advice to level my guys on glitter, I've managed to end up deadlocked on nightmare spire levels. I'm too poor to buy suped up gear and I'm not getting anything nicer than what I have to drop on spire. Where do I go from here?

steam_sig.png
  • ColorlessGreenColorlessGreen Registered User regular
    noweat wrote:
    so after taking advantage of the advice to level my guys on glitter, I've managed to end up deadlocked on nightmare spire levels. I'm too poor to buy suped up gear and I'm not getting anything nicer than what I have to drop on spire. Where do I go from here?

Basically, as far as I can tell, your options are to group up with other people or keep farming NM spires until you get slightly better gear (there's always slightly better gear available) and/or have enough money to fully upgrade your stuff. Or, wait for another patch where things get rebalanced again.

Also, NM HC mistymire is slightly better than spires for gear. If you feel like you've tapped out NM spires, give NMHCMM a shot (even if you die halfway through) and see if you get more appealing stuff.

Hearthstone (NA, EU, Asia): Ceegee#1473 - spectators welcome.
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Is there an easy way to tell if a piece of gear is an upgrade?

I mean, I see tons of items that have green borders, but when looking at the stats seem objectively worse.

For example, on my tower apprentice, I generally just add up all the tower stats on the gear, and if its more, I will usually swap it in, unless it also has a major negative to speed/health/resists.

But eventually, I will want to just stick with 1 set of Godly while I grind to 74, then try and stick to just 1 set of Mythical. But I have no idea how much in stats I should be looking for before I spend millions in mana to upgrade the item.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    The game doesn't just take into account straight stats when it considers an upgrade...but also the theoretical "cap" of that gear.

If you have a piece of gear that is +5 to all tower stats and is 0/7 it will tell you that something that is +4 to all stats and 0/15 is an upgrade, because with some investment, it will be better.

So keep that in mind. Sometimes you see a nice looking piece of gear with +20 to everything, then you notice oh 0/5.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

IMO you pretty much want to ignore what the game tells you about gear upgrades most of the time. I generally do some rough mental math that's along the lines of 1.5 points for tower damage and 1 point for other tower skills or hero casting rate, or 1.5 points for hero damage and 1 point for hero health or hero casting rate, with specific "important" skills varying per character.

• TheOrangeTheOrange Registered User regular
    Its easy with everyone else except the Barb, what his stances gain by points? I don't know.

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I'm pretty picky about what gear I will or won't pick up nowadays. But when you are first starting to level, just pick up any armor that helps you along the way. It doesn't matter. It really doesn't. You can plow through Normal diff, then Hard diff with terrible gear and terrible point selection on level ups. Avoid negatives, and pick up armors that augment your tower stats if you are Guardian/Tower spec or hero stats if you are Hero spec.

When I am going for Godly and Mythical armors, I hold out until I find an armor that has all 12 boosts (Physical resistances, all Element Resistances, and 8 separate stat boosts) with no negatives, and has 4 of Hero (to be used for Hero spec characters) or 4 of Guardian stats. They all have to be relatively high values. Finally, the armor has to have at least 30 upgrade levels (to make sure I can boost the resistances with mana later). Lately, I also don't pick up armor unless it boosts at least 2 of the appropriate stats by +100 or more.

Also, make sure you are taking advantage of the set bonus. If you have a full set of the same material armor (all Leather, all Chain, all Mail, etc.), then you get a 25% (for most armor) or 30% boost (for Mythical) to ALL of the stats on all worn armor.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
    Patch 7.16b is up. Patch notes:
    *Fixed the issue where the Barbarian's left-handed weapon was inverted
    *Reduction in time on Assault map 1 by 25 seconds on nightmare and added some more defenses in weaker areas
    *Reduction in time on assault map 3 by 40 seconds on nightmare
    *Reduced retribution rate-of-fire by 30% and damage reduced by 25%
    *45% increase in Barbarian HP on Nightmare, in line with Squire's increase
    *20% exponential reduction in sale-price of extremely-high-Damage weapons, to prevent sale-price roll-over
    *Fixed nightmare Squire HP incorrect value on pause screen
    *Fixed bug where players were making profit from leveling any weapon
    *Added Barbarian combo by holding both mouse buttons
    *Reduced visual effects on Snowball launcher
    *Darkness Traps now affect Ogres with immunity removal and now cost 3 DUs
    *Remove-from-shop can no longer be used to exceed item box size
    *When pulling up "More Info" in the Heroes section of the Post game board, the Hide info button has a XBOX right stick icon next to it -- fixed
    *Scaled down stat speed-boost in NM assault by 40%
    *Fairy and Healing Aura 2.5x as effective in NM
    *Normal Damage Pets are 15x as effective in NM
    *Elemental Pets are 1.5x as effective overall, and Melee Pets are 1.25x as effective in overall, both changes are NM only.
    *Imps are 4x as effective in NM
    *Animus/Ponies are 12x as effective in NM
    *Pets don't attack practice dummies during combat anymore.
    *Fixed issue where Mobs would still target Barbarian on pure strategy mode

Lots of pets and healing balance changes for Nightmare mode. The big news, for me, is the auto-combo attack for Barbarians, making them much easier to play. I'm not quite fond of the Retribution nerf, either (the Spider Gun). I wonder if that nerf is retroactive.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • noweatnoweat Registered User regular
    that's not good, I just spent a good portion of my mana upgrading a retribution...

steam_sig.png
    noweat wrote:
    that's not good, I just spent a good portion of my mana upgrading a retribution...

From what I've seen, even with the change, they are still perfectly viable weapons.

• DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    So I played this a long time ago on my Android briefly, but slow phone is slow.

Finally got it for the PC, and now I'm not sure how I want to build my characters. Like I started with an Apprentice, went for DPS, but have read they're really good for towers and Overcharge is useful for almost anything. But then, should I just use the Adept instead for a Tower build because of her increased speed to get around the map more easily? So if I'm gonna use the mages for Towers, I'm thinking maybe another class would be better for DPS, in which case, Countess/squire/ranger/huntress?

Also are there hard/soft caps in the game now? I remember back when it first came out, there was something about a 20 speed cap, and I saw something about a 70 soft cap, but also a comment that it was outdated, and how do the speed caps affect the male/female counterparts? Will the female versions always move 33% faster post-cap, or will their bonus become neglible because of cap?

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Fuck all that number bullshit, just do whatever sounds fun.

JtgVX0H.png
  • The Deranged HermitThe Deranged Hermit Inside the walls Merry Old EnglandRegistered User regular
    Character speed hard caps at 100.
    You can personally invest 120 points in to a stat anything above that has to be obtained from gear.
    There are diminishing returns on stats other than character speed - as in the more points you put in a stat the less value each subsequent point contributes.

Tower DPS overall I would say apprentice
    Tower survival overall squire
    Personal DPS overall huntress
    This not to say an apprentice can't deal damage and a huntress isn't an effective tower character.

Steam: the_deranged_hermit
    GW2: Tavalisk.9463
    If you plan on playing Nightmare or some of the more difficult Insane maps, you'll probably want a Tower Apprentice and a Tower Monk (or a gender swap of either... it doesn't matter). Countesses (higher speed, Call to Arms, and Joust) and Huntress or Ranger (both are more similar than they are different) are the current hotness in terms of Hero-spec characters.

When in doubt, put your points into Tower Attack for Guardian/Tower spec and Hero Attack for Hero spec. Period. Is it maxed out? Good job, you have a good character, and it doesn't matter what you put points into, really.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • JakarrdJakarrd In the belly of OklahomaRegistered User regular
    Trap huntress is finally at 73. One ore to go and I'll have tower chars of each type at max level. And can equip myth gear, woo. Now if I can get a tad bit better. I can pretty much do normal ES on nightmare but hardcore still kicks my ass. Misty I get thru the third wave before I get overrun so I have a ways to go before I can attempt to somewhat farm that map.

On a side note, nightmare raining goblins is a breeze now with all bouncer towers from a squire for me. O_o

Greetings Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada.

76561197990097905.png
  • SqSq Registered User regular
    Jakarrd wrote:
    Trap huntress is finally at 73. One ore to go and I'll have tower chars of each type at max level. And can equip myth gear, woo. Now if I can get a tad bit better. I can pretty much do normal ES on nightmare but hardcore still kicks my ass. Misty I get thru the third wave before I get overrun so I have a ways to go before I can attempt to somewhat farm that map.

I use this setup on ES NM HC and it works really well. If you have trouble with hardcore, just sit back behind/on top of the DST's with an app guardian for the last couple waves. DST's will take care of all ninjas and spiders before they get anywhere close to you. Try to get everything up to 3 chevrons first if possible though. Also, when soloing, you'll never get an ogre at the lower left, so those barricades should be last to get upgraded.

• DracilDracil Registered User regular
    Alright, thanks for the advice. I respecced my apprentice for tower, and made a countess for DPS. Will probably make a monk tower, ranger dps, huntress tower, and squire tower later for when I play splitscreen so the level difference isn't so great that my friends are bored/feel useless.

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular
    I've been playing DD for a few weeks, and have to say, I got my first piece of Godly equipment on the 4th level on the second set of levels (solo-local - if it matters), but I can't use it until level 45 and I'm just now level 25.

I'm loving the hell out of the game, but wonder if I'm doing something wrong. Colorless has given me a lot of suggestions though, such as specing the apprentice. But I think a lot of the stuff over the past few pages is above my knowledge level for this point in the game.

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Penumbra wrote:
    I've been playing DD for a few weeks, and have to say, I got my first piece of Godly equipment on the 4th level on the second set of levels (solo-local - if it matters), but I can't use it until level 45 and I'm just now level 25.

I'm loving the hell out of the game, but wonder if I'm doing something wrong. Colorless has given me a lot of suggestions though, such as specing the apprentice. But I think a lot of the stuff over the past few pages is above my knowledge level for this point in the game.

I really recommend avoiding the Solo Local and playing the Online (TrendyNet). Eventually, the solo game will become boring, and none of the characters will port over to TrendyNet for playing with other people. Meanwhile, you can play TrendyNet as much as you want, and export the characters to local for respecs and trying different things easily.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
    Yeah, play on Ranked with the rest of us. Otherwise, you'll be in for some disappointment when you actually do play some multiplayer and find out that ALL of us are playing Ranked. Except Darmak.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    The fuck you lookin' at?

:bz

JtgVX0H.png
    D: is what my face looks like right now. Because, yep only played local & non-ranked.

Non-ranked is fine, unless you want to play with other PAers (they smell like stale Cheetos and semen so you don't want to)

JtgVX0H.png
    Penumbra wrote:
    D: is what my face looks like right now. Because, yep only played local & non-ranked.
    If you need help powerleveling a new character on Ranked, I can help you (or ColorlessGreen, or some of the other folks in Steam chat). You can probably see us hanging out in the Steam group chat. It only takes about 2 hours to get to 70 once you can build an Insane Glitterhelm configuration, although I highly suggest that you only level up to approximately where you were on your Open character (probably using Hard Ramparts or some other similarly easy level).

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    Hahnsoo1 wrote:
    Penumbra wrote:
    If you need help powerleveling a new character on Ranked, I can help you (or ColorlessGreen, or some of the other folks in Steam chat). You can probably see us hanging out in the Steam group chat. It only takes about 2 hours to get to 70 once you can build an Insane Glitterhelm configuration, although I highly suggest that you only level up to approximately where you were on your Open character (probably using Hard Ramparts or some other similarly easy level).

Thanks. Do I need any of the DLC to do insane? I'll shoot you a friend request when I get home.

Nope, you can do Insane out of the box. Just need DLC to do nightmare.

Aaaaaaaaand... another patch:

7.16c
    * Buffed Trap Damage by 25% in NM
    * Barbarian's Turtle Stance now makes him immune to web projectiles and other stunning attacks
    * Reduced Retribution damage by 12% more
    * Reduced Disc Thrower piercing number from 5 to 4
    * Increased Phoenix Gun piercing from 4 to 6
    * Increased Bone Bow piercing from 1 to 4
    * Increased Hunter's Bow piercing from 1 to 5
    * Increased Blunderbuss piercing from 1 to 8
    * Reduced NM pet DPS by 40%, and unicorn by 50% specifically
    * Fairies boosted in NM by a total of 5x, previously was 2.5x
    * Added message to TNet indicating if login failure occurred because you're banned
    * Buffed Healing Auras in NM by 20%, reduced DU by 1
    * 50% nerf to Destructiod Robot in NM to bring it in line with other pets

Man, was Retribution really that good? I like the better piercing for the Blunderbuss, personally (and a lot of those other guns, too).

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • SqSq Registered User regular
    Nope, you can do Insane out of the box. Just need DLC to do nightmare.

And technically, not even for that. If you don't have the Eternia Crystals DLC you can't do Mistymire and you can't start a NM game, but you can join one (so long as it is not on a DLC-only map like Misty).

• EnderEnder Registered User regular
    Holy shit, Turtle stance negates spiders?

It's like they finally listened to something!

Hey, here's a tip. When you want to power level a character and are just dorking around on Mistymire forest; don't have your level 11 barbarian come in in the final wave.

There's a boss.

/sigh.

• BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    Pretty cool changes to guns. That is good to hear. Most of them weren't worth it before that change.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
    Dungeon Defenders is currently 3 bucks over at Amazon. Just in case you want to buy the game for someone or something.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    So myself, my brother, and a friend of mine all tried this out over the weekend. Loved it, had a blast, genuinely enjoyed having our trio of Squire/huntress/berserker tackle whatever challenges were presented.

However, doing things solo seems a bit odd. From the thread, I'm gathering that it's pretty well standard strategy to use more than one hero if you're solo. I understand the idea (build towers/walls with one guy, swap out for combat phase with another). So how does experience for that get divvied up, is it all to the guy in the combat phase, even if the other hero's towers do most of the work?

• BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    If you're solo, it goes to who ever is playing the combat wave.

If you're dual playing (one controller KBAM, one controller same PC) I don't know how it's dived up. But both Characters get xp and level completion bonus'.

Broncbuster on
    steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Does anyone play this on PS3? Is the PS3 community active? I was playing the trial and having a good time, but I don't want to buy it if no one's playing,

Steam: offday
    anoffday wrote:
    Does anyone play this on PS3? Is the PS3 community active? I was playing the trial and having a good time, but I don't want to buy it if no one's playing,
    It's better on PC, and we are all playing on PC (and the devs are shifting their focus away from consoles, because of the patching process and fees). It's 3 bucks over at Amazon (activates on Steam) RIGHT NOW, so unless you have an old PC that can't run Unreal engine games, you should probably get the PC version instead. If you have questions as to whether or not it will run on your rig, you can post your specs in this thread and we can get back to you.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    Free (for a limited time) Etherian Festival of Love DLC: http://store.steampowered.com/app/204387/
    Celebrate Valentine’s Day in Etheria with the “Etherian Festival of Love” holiday event!
    Grab your date and team up to play the “Sky O’ Love” Challenge Mission! Become matchmaker by pairing “Boy” mobs with their same-species, significant, “Girl” mob others! But watch out… Mega Cupid isn’t too happy about you doing his work for him.

The Etherian Festival of Love DLC Includes:
    Sky O’ Love Challenge Mission
    Mega Cupid Boss
    Goblin Cupid Pet
    New, Unlockable Eternia Crystal
    4 Unlockable Character Skins
    Monk – Cupid
    Initiate – Cupidette
    Squire – Squire with Pants!
    Countess – Queen of Hearts

camo_sig2.png
    edited February 2012
    Haha, squire with pants.

EDIT: I just looked at the screenshots. It's literally just the squire with pants. That's hilarious. It bugged people that much?

The Dude With Herpes on

• WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    Aw man. Still trying to get through the Summit on normal... Had help all the way to the boss, so the towers held up great, but solo-ing the boss as a lvl 40 mage was tricky and i only got him to half health.

Any tips for dealing damage quick? Im mostly leveled as a tower guy, my dps is around 1300 thanks to a previous boss drop.

Witchsight.png
This discussion has been closed.