As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Alpha Protocol: Apparently now an Obsidian gossip thread

• Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    Good point.

I remember on a couple of levels I ghosted all the way to the end, and then a bunch of enemies would spawn and I'd have to kill them to continue. Was a bit disappointing, when I can see the exit over there and it's perfectly possible to just walk out. I think I would have preferred something I first saw in RE4: the exit has some sort of lock that takes a couple of seconds to open, so you can just go to the exit without attacking anyone but you'll be vulnerable for a moment while you open the door.

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    I hope Imsomniac's Overstrike has some RPG mechanics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kltLI5oL22k

I feel like trying AP again.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    I thought it was a co-op action game?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Damn, it is co-op. I wonder if it is going to have single-player.

I'm not complaining, I like the Syndicate demo.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    damn it I thought there was AP news... or at least Avellone news

• Options
    edited February 2012
    The south park RPG thread is the new gossip/ avellone appreciation station (he's doing a panel at wonder con)

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    Well, I officially hate "Turn Up the Radio" now.
    I know this is a common thing, but what the fuck. I guess I didn't explore enough to find Brayko's stash to poison it, so stage two of that fight is a complete nightmare. All I have is a shotgun and a pistol and minimal gadgets. I don't think my stealth things help much beyond getting close to him initially and shooting him in the fucking face to initiate stage two instead of, y'know, killing him.

So I come here again with my hands out for help.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    Spiking Brayko's cocaine is done by getting that special intel before starting the mission. I think you need to have a positive relationship with Steven Heck for it to come up.

The only advice I can give for the combat itself is is to just hide while your chainshot is on cooldown, remember to change to steel core rounds, and make use of the healing stations around the level.

• Options
    Darth_Mogs wrote:
    I know this is a common thing, but what the fuck. I guess I didn't explore enough to find Brayko's stash to poison it, so stage two of that fight is a complete nightmare. All I have is a shotgun and a pistol and minimal gadgets. I don't think my stealth things help much beyond getting close to him initially and shooting him in the fucking face to initiate stage two instead of, y'know, killing him.

Try getting on the stage and jump. It makes Brayko stagger when he lands on the floor for a few seconds.

Also there are some gadgets there.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Darth_Mogs wrote:

Chain shot in head with steel bullets, then run in circles until it's off cooldown. Repeat.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Don't forget your sprint button.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Tertiee wrote:
    Spiking Brayko's cocaine is done by getting that special intel before starting the mission. I think you need to have a positive relationship with Steven Heck for it to come up.

The only advice I can give for the combat itself is is to just hide while your chainshot is on cooldown, remember to change to steel core rounds, and make use of the healing stations around the level.

Ooooooh. That makes sense. I'd seen it mentioned as a way to make the fight easier, but I assumed it would be actually in-level, rather than an intel thing. Since I don't know off-hand who that guy is, I'm guessing I haven't met him/don't have the relationship for the intel. Fair enough.

I'll try the suggestions tomorrow when I play and it'll probably help. I had, in fact, forgotten that I have a sprint command, which is going to come in extra handy. Thanks again!

Darth_Mogs on
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Don't be afraid to switch hubs to get some more levels too. Also, flashbangs may be useful

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Darth_Mogs wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtGK9Upt3J4

• Options
    I would just like to say that all games are improved by a boss fight with 80s glam metal for background music.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    That boss fight is the best boss fight. I have a massive smile on my face every time I play it, especially now that I know how not to get my ass kicked. Seriously, that part is amazing.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    That guy is a combo of worst and best boss fight. Best cause I love the 80's theme, worst cause if you pick the wrong skills before fighting him....

Nightmare.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    Brayko was a major pain in the ass the first time I played through due to some really dumb specing I did on my first character

Second and third times were much more pleasant experience

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    yeah that boss fight is really good. I hardly remember the other ones.

• Options
    @Darth_Mogs Also, you can try setting him on fire.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Also some of the best dialogue afterwards.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Also some of the best dialogue afterwards.

Gay cheetah coat. 'Nuff said.

• Options
    They will suck you dry.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Goddammit forums really?

Also Brayko was one of the coolest characters that I always ended up recruiting instead of killing.

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Double post.

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Oh fuck you vanilla.

WhiteZinfandel on
  • Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    The first time I ever played this game I went for a semi-realistic approach. No trafficking with terrorists and such.

So when Thorton warns Sis not to move a muscle after she tries to kill him? And she starts going for her coat? BLAM. The fuck were you expecting to happen?

• Options
    Killing people in this game is like, one of the only ways to not play the game, because talking leads to more secrets where as executions only cut off lots of stuff. At least in my opinion.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Killing people in this game is like, one of the only ways to not play the game, because talking leads to more secrets where as executions only cut off lots of stuff. At least in my opinion.

There is practically no way not to play this game. AP is one of the finest roleplaying games there is that rewards every approach. My next run through the game is going to be as a nervous newbie spy. He's clearly going to pull the trigger on a few of his targets as that's his job and he's not going to risk trying to do side missions - he's going to stick to the main line as much as possible.

Sure you miss out on information but playing the story that then unfolds should be great, a poor dude lost in an international conspiracy far too big for him to comprehend with only lovely, trustworthy Mina for company.

I'd say the only "wrong" way to play the game is meta-gaming it, trying to work out what the "best" option is at every decision point. There is not best option and trying to discover it all the time would lead to a very schizophrenic character.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    damn it I thought there was AP news... or at least Avellone news

check South Park thread

• Options
    zanetheinsanezanetheinsane Registered User regular
    Darth_Mogs wrote:
    There is a way you can bug out the fight, if you don't mind taking that route. I had a character who was literally incapable of defeating the boss with his weapons/skills and had to do it. If you run up on to the stage and wait for the boss to follow you. If you time it just right and he jumps off the stage while you are on the stairs, he'll just bug out and stop moving. You can then just shoot him as many times as it takes.

Example video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XV-SnmsDADc

• Options
    First run through I told G20 to piss right the fuck off. It was pretty fun.

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    The "best" way to do the final area.
    Is to kill sis and then goad g22 into coming there and attacking you, and thus messing everything up. At least that's who I recall it went down, I can't quite remember.

Frozenzen on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Orca wrote:
    First run through I told G20 to piss right the fuck off. It was pretty fun.

G22.

And of all the factions in the game, G22 is the only one where I'm reasonably convinced working with them isn't such a bad idea.

Then again, the alternatives are Russian mobsters, Islamic terrorists and Steven Heck. So it's not a very high bar.

• Options
    Exactly, especially since I managed to pull one over on them regarding those surveillance transmitter things.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    So, I actually just completely enjoyed playing the game today. I'm actually a little surprised, but I think it has to do with going super-stealth and adding a hearty amount of throat punches to the mix. I'm glad to actually be getting into things more and more because I really, really like the way the game seems to mold itself to what you've done regardless of what that is. I do have -one- question today, but it's more for curiosity's sake than anything.
    Does Championik come into play again if you don't kill him during Surkov's escape attempt? I didn't really put much thought into it since it threw me in Boss Fight mode and those generally ended with a conversation, rather than just ending when I pump three Steel Core rounds into a face. But he just sort of dropped, and I went "Aww." because I didn't really want to kill him - I haven't really killed anyone beyond mooks so far.

Also, man. The Brayko thing was completely redeemed by the....'trophy' added to the safehouse afterwards. Made me grin so much.

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular

There is practically no way not to play this game. AP is one of the finest roleplaying games there is that rewards every approach. My next run through the game is going to be as a nervous newbie spy. He's clearly going to pull the trigger on a few of his targets as that's his job and he's not going to risk trying to do side missions - he's going to stick to the main line as much as possible.

Sure you miss out on information but playing the story that then unfolds should be great, a poor dude lost in an international conspiracy far too big for him to comprehend with only lovely, trustworthy Mina for company.

I'd say the only "wrong" way to play the game is meta-gaming it, trying to work out what the "best" option is at every decision point. There is not best option and trying to discover it all the time would lead to a very schizophrenic character.

I kinda played this way but mostly played it as trying to pull everyone on my side so I could get as much information as possible. Tell everyone what they want to hear.

Maybe in a replay I can
    Still work for AP/govt while really siding with the terrorists/criminals whenever possible.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Well, I beat it earlier. Let me first just say: Okay, I totally get it now. I understand the praise and, honestly? I'll add to it. Once you get some abilities built up a decent bit/get ingrained into your playstyle, the game gets a lot more enjoyable. And satisfying, which I think is even more important.

As far as my ending went:
    I pretty much didn't piss off anyone but Conrad through the entire game, so I had the lion's share of help when I needed it. G22, the Triads both helped me in Taipei, and I went with Albatross as my Handler for the last mission which lasted all of....what, fifteen minutes? Then I found Scarlet and promptly threw her in position to snipe our way to freedom. At no point did I execute anybody, except I did shoot Conrad in the face six times with Steel Core bullets and then punched him which I guess counts as a kill. Even when I took down Darcy with Tranq Bullets, it counted it as a kill so whatevs. Also I killed Championik earlier (as I mentioned a couple posts ago) which I still feel kind of bad about.

Something that annoyed me; where was I supposed to find Mina? Because I didn't, and I even restarted the mission after she was killed the first time. (Annoyingly, the "Rescue Mina" option remained on my objective list regardless.) I imagine all that happens is that you can go the Scarlet route with her and either put her in as your Handler or tell her to get the hell to safety? Still, kinda disappointed, since -my- Michael Thorton would've saved her if possible, and I think I have a save where I still can. Maybe.

Man, was it fun watching Michael beat up Leland and Westridge. I'm not exactly sure why I should've hated Westridge aside from being in Leland's pocket? I guess? Everything got kind of fouled up at the end since I literally had no contact with anyone in AP but Mina until the final mission. Where I told Parker that I saved his daughter's life. (And conveniently left out the part where I slept with her.) Still, I just went with Action-Movie logic at that point and it worked out fine enough.

So yeah, I pretty much enjoyed the ending. I immediately started up a new game on Recruit since I want to try out Veteran; My Recruit Mikey is a little green and tries to overcompensate by being an arrogant, pushy, violent asshole. I suspect it'll be pretty fun considering it'll kind of be completely opposite from how my first run went.

Darth_Mogs on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    About Mina...
    OK, so, at one point you'll enter this room where someone on the vid screen will show you Mina's in trouble, right? Well, the door ahead progresses the level and cuts you off. The easily over-looked door on the left leads to Mina.

If in doubt, look up. The monitor above the door leading to Mina will show an image of her.

• Options
    Excellent! I know exactly that point, so hopefully I do have a save before there like I think I do.