As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PA Programming Thread :: PAdev.net - Need hosting for a service of yours? Check it out.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote:
    So is there an option for a dialog window, in Java, that displays something for x amount of seconds, or until something opens? I'd really like to use something like that...

I wrote this myself in WPF, it wasn't difficult using events and triggers....but the way I did it in WPF wouldn't port at all to Java.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Yeah neither of them sit well with me, pico works so much better for what I absolutely need to do command line, everything else I can launch a graphic window for.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote:
    urahonky wrote:
    So is there an option for a dialog window, in Java, that displays something for x amount of seconds, or until something opens? I'd really like to use something like that...

I wrote this myself in WPF, it wasn't difficult using events and triggers....but the way I did it in WPF wouldn't port at all to Java.

Yeah I get the bad feeling that I'm going to have to create some sort of timer myself, which is just stupid.

urahonky wrote:
    GnomeTank wrote:
    urahonky wrote:

Yeah I get the bad feeling that I'm going to have to create some sort of timer myself, which is just stupid.

That's how I did it in WPF. I have a timer that kicks off when the rollup animation of my toast panel is complete, when that timer finishes, it dispatches out to the UI thread to tell the rolldown animation to start. When that's finished, I check the queue to see if there is a new toast I need to roll up...and that continues until the queue is empty.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    bowen wrote:
    Yeah neither of them sit well with me, pico works so much better for what I absolutely need to do command line, everything else I can launch a graphic window for.

Nano good sir, nano...pico was the non-opensource UDub version. And yes, nano is my preferred UNIX editor.

Also, we still aren't friends anymore since you are using Git instead of Mercurial.

• zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote:
    zeeny wrote:
    GnomeTank wrote:
    Emacs is 99% hype, sorry. I've used it a couple of times, and there is very little it does so different from other editors to get the reputation it has. I get that when Emacs came out, it was revolutionary, but it's not anymore.

Hype? What? I don't even claim it's better than notepad. Just what I ended up using and unlikely to change.

Yet you told someone they should whip themselves for changing away from emacs. That's the kind of hype I'm talking about. Emacs isn't that great that people should flog themselves for deciding to not use it.

I even offered him a leather whip and was surprised when he didn't accept it!

GnomeTank wrote:
    bowen wrote:

Nano good sir, nano...pico was the non-opensource UDub version. And yes, nano is my preferred UNIX editor.

Also, we still aren't friends anymore since you are using Git instead of Mercurial.

Pft I will probably always call it pico because I remember using pine back in the day for email.

And since bitbucket does mercurial I just might switch.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    edited February 2012
    WTF quote posted itself?

bowen on
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Building INSERT queries with ~40 fields in C# pulling from three different objects makes me sad face.

admanb on
    Yeah, all my HG repos are on bitbucket, I like it. I have the one public one everyone can see, the Aeon source, and I have probably 15 private ones with the random shells of uncompleted projects.

admanb wrote:
    Building INSERT SQL queries with ~40 fields in C# pulling from three different objects makes me sad face.

Something something stored procedures.

admanb wrote:
    Building INSERT queries with ~40 fields in C# pulling from three different objects makes me sad face.

Entity framework? NHibernate? LLBGen? Something not requiring you to write raw ADO.NET commands?

GnomeTank wrote:
    admanb wrote:

Entity framework? NHibernate? LLBGen? Something not requiring you to write raw ADO.NET commands?

Those would all be sweet.

edited February 2012
    Ah, you must work at the same place I do...we had a team lead very early on, who's not a team lead anymore, decide we weren't going to use Entity Framework because he "didn't know it well enough", and now our backend service is a fucking mess of data access classes and mappers, trying to map raw stored proc output to objects. Trying to get a simple object added to the system takes half a day.

I wanted to expose a WCF OData service using EF 4.0 and use interceptors to add the various pieces of logic, but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Our entire backend would have been 1/10th the code size it is now.

GnomeTank on
    edited February 2012
    That's the basic idea, except it's not really my employer's fault.

Basically I'm working in a big commercial e-commerce package built around '06 on ASP.NET 2.0 that my company bought and then hacked into doing stuff it was never designed to do. It was pretty poorly engineered to begin with and has since been worked on by a variety of programmers of varying levels of competence, mostly low. Its overall value to the company is high enough to require maintenance and upgrades, but not high enough -- until very recently -- to justify rebuilding it.

I've made improvements and cleaned things up where I can, but the project's whole interaction with the database is such an inconsistent clusterfuck there's pretty much nothing that can be done. Luckily, my manager knows the shit I'm wading through and doesn't press me.

Oh, also, we use the code to run three different-but-similar sites that use copy-pasted and slightly modified versions of everything.

admanb on
    gnome, if I pick up HG what kind of integration am I looking at with visual studio / windows.

Is there a tortoiseHG ?

• IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    Couldn't you just set a property field on your items in your objects you want to write out(databound property) and reflect on your objects and dynamically generate the insert/update statements?

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
    edited February 2012
    bowen wrote:
    gnome, if I pick up HG what kind of integration am I looking at with visual studio / windows.

Is there a tortoiseHG ?

There is a TortoiseHG and it's amazing. On par with TortoiseSVN across the board. TortoiseHG is my primary point of interaction with Mercurial, though I will occasionally drop to the CLI for something really wonky.

GnomeTank on
    GnomeTank wrote:
    bowen wrote:

Is there a tortoiseHG ?

There is a TortoiseHG and it's amazing. On par with TortoiseSVN across the board. TortoiseHG is my primary point of interaction with Mercurial, though I will occasionally drop to the CLI for something really wonky.

Well then.

Got some links to save me the trouble of loading a new tab to google? :P (god I am so lazy today it's not even funny)

Incindium wrote:
    Couldn't you just set a property field on your items in your objects you want to write out(databound property) and reflect on your objects and dynamically generate the insert/update statements?

Is this for me or GnomeTank? :P

I could, in theory. I've even done that on one of the most used objects (the User). The problem is that the objects are similarly inconsistent and badly designed, and only vaguely usable as starting points for an ORM. The changes I had to make to the User were extensive and only indirectly paid off.

So how often do you guys take "breaks" in which you just need to look at something else to keep from going nuts? I do it for about 5-10 minutes an hour unless I get stuck on something complicated... I just wanted to make sure it's not just me being a bad programmer.

Well... I post here randomly throughout the day. But I go for a walk at least twice a day to get away from computer screens. Any longer than 10 minutes and I forget what I was doing.

edited February 2012
    bowen wrote:
    GnomeTank wrote:
    bowen wrote:

Is there a tortoiseHG ?

Well then.

Got some links to save me the trouble of loading a new tab to google? :P (god I am so lazy today it's not even funny)

http://tortoisehg.bitbucket.org/

It's actually hosted on Bitbucket...in fact, I think Bitbucket funds some of the development through their premium services.

(As a side note, TortoiseHG and the ease of getting Mercurial for Windows is one of the primary reasons I use it, the whole Linus being a dick bag aside...the fact that the Mercurial/TortoiseHG teams actually takes Windows seriously and sees it as an important platform to support).

GnomeTank on
    That explains why GIT for windows is more like "meh." I felt better using SVN than git.

bowen wrote:
    That explains why GIT for windows is more like "meh." I felt better using SVN than git.

Yeah, the Git team basically takes the "Only idiots use Windows" approach...which isn't shocking given who the project creator is.

urahonky wrote:
    So how often do you guys take "breaks" in which you just need to look at something else to keep from going nuts? I do it for about 5-10 minutes an hour unless I get stuck on something complicated... I just wanted to make sure it's not just me being a bad programmer.

That sounds about right. Possibly at a minimum. :P

admanb wrote:
    urahonky wrote:

That sounds about right. Possibly at a minimum. :P

Phew! Glad there are at least two others. :P

That sounds right, yeah. It depends on how in to my problem I am...sometimes I'll go three or four hours with out looking up, but usually once an hour or so I'll get up, hit the bathroom, refill my water and maybe check ESPN or something.

• PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    So, I decided to write about my test-converted-to-D project, if only to keep me on track since I tend to drift off on these sorts of things eventually. Maybe someone will find it interesting? It's more of an open-ended thing than the other articles on there. Comments welcome!

http://www.padev.net/2012/02/acquiring-amulet-yendor-nethack-bot

Phyphor wrote:
    So, I decided to write about my test-converted-to-D project, if only to keep me on track since I tend to drift off on these sorts of things eventually. Maybe someone will find it interesting? It's more of an open-ended thing than the other articles on there. Comments welcome!

http://www.padev.net/2012/02/acquiring-amulet-yendor-nethack-bot

This sounds like a lot of fun!

• ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I wanted to try Sublime Text but it requires glibc 2.5 so it doesn't run on our old-ass Linux distro. :rotate:

Edit: apparently it requires 2.11, but our distro is so old it couldn't even get that far.

ASimPerson on
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote:
    bowen wrote:

Yeah, the Git team basically takes the "Only idiots use Windows" approach...which isn't shocking given who the project creator is.

The Ruby community is largely the same way. Which is sad, given how fun and accessible a language it is. There are a few widely used (and supposedly cross-platform) gems which routinely are released in versions that don't even compile on Windows. JRuby is the most sane way to go.

• EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    Frem wrote:
    GnomeTank wrote:
    bowen wrote:

The Ruby community is largely the same way. Which is sad, given how fun and accessible a language it is. There are a few widely used (and supposedly cross-platform) gems which routinely are released in versions that don't even compile on Windows. JRuby is the most sane way to go.

I have yet to have a single issue with GIT on Windows. The spec is good enough that people have written java and erlang versions of the original program. Plus people have ported it to frameworks like Hadoop.

• Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    bowen wrote:
    GnomeTank wrote:
    bowen wrote:

Pft I will probably always call it pico because I remember using pine back in the day for email.

And since bitbucket does mercurial I just might switch.

Ironically, they don't even use Pico at the UW anymore...
    picoUW.png

They also seem to have neglected to install nmap after some recent server maintenance, which is frustrating.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Which version of Git for Windows is the best? Apparently there's TortoiseGit, Git Extensions, and msysGit. What should I use?

• InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    TortoiseHG. </GnomeTank>

OrokosPA.png
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    I use msysgit.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Playing with a graph database is actually quite fun, after I'm through the hilariously bad tutorial for this particular one. But for testing purposes I'm creating grid graphs and now I got carried away. I decreased creation time for the database with a 100x100 graph (so 10k nodes and ~20k links) by the factor 20, so I thought it might be nice to try 1000x1000 (so 1 million nodes, ~2 million edges) and this thing is taking a loooong time. ;-)

Oh hey, it occurs to me: Can I tell the Java VM to use more of my RAM? It's only using like 200MB and the database itself is already >500 so it's probably slowed a lot by hard drive access.

Grobian on
    edited February 2012
    Grobian wrote:
    Playing with a graph database is actually quite fun, after I'm through the hilariously bad tutorial for this particular one. But for testing purposes I'm creating grid graphs and now I got carried away. I decreased creation time for the database with a 100x100 graph (so 10k nodes and ~20k links) by the factor 20, so I thought it might be nice to try 1000x1000 (so 1 million nodes, ~2 million edges) and this thing is taking a loooong time. ;-)

Oh hey, it occurs to me: Can I tell the Java VM to use more of my RAM? It's only using like 200MB and the database itself is already >500 so it's probably slowed a lot by hard drive access.

-Xmx512m

That increases it to 512MB. (It's a VM Option)

urahonky on
  • GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    Yeah, thanks, I found this in the meantime (also where I have to set it in Eclipse). I'm glad I'm normally not using Java, because these memory things seem pretty dumb. I can't even give the VM more than a gig, because it wants to be allocated in one big chunk.

I terminated the million node graph and tried 500x500 instead, which took ~45minutes. I really need to get some real world data soon, to see how big these graphs will get. 250k doesn't sound unreasonable to me and if it is, then I can ditch this database. But first, I'll see if updates are as slow as entries.

This discussion has been closed.