As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EAST] PAX East 2012 Omeganauts - calls have ended

13»

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    B-Nix wrote:
    @Themiscyra Thanks! I didn't really expect them to see my post, but I was hoping maybe someone would pass it along to them.

How long before the con does the list of Omegathon games get released?

Do you have a twitter I can add to the twitter list? :)

• B-NixB-Nix Registered User new member
    Thanks!

• mattavingermattavinger Registered User new member
    Hey guys I'm a little late to post its been a crazy day; but thanks for the welcome and I am super excited to be a part of this! Can't wait to meet you all!

• BaconSandwichBaconSandwich Registered User regular
    Themiscyra wrote:
    (I don't know what happened to the other 2nd place guy from 2010...did he have to cancel or something?)

It's kind of a mystery, he never responded to me on facebook after the contest. I know Khoo tried to get in contact with him, I guess to no avail. But yes, he was invited but apparently declined or could not be contacted.
    B-Nix wrote:
    So uh, yea. I have no idea if you guys will actually see this post but I'm sorry I thought you were a robot. Even though I am sure that I will fail as an Omeganaut spectacularly and immediately (think Nick Arcade contestant), I am deeply honored and awestruck to have been given this opportunity and I wish I had conveyed as much on the phone.
    Thank you!

While Gabe & Tycho don't read the forums, one of the early perks of Omegathon is you generally get some unique time to talk with them at the con.

PAX East 2010/2011/2012 Omeganaut!
  • sarysary 100% pure awesomesauce manchester, nhRegistered User regular
    damn flatline, stealing all my glory. but uh, hi. (y'all would have probably scraped it from twitter, anyway)

strangest phonecall ever. nearly crashed my car on the 90 when my phone rang. and then i thought i hit a marker on the side of the road when i pulled over, so i was kind of distracted hoping that i didn't mess my car up (more - poor thing :(). but, hey. <insert success kid here> became an omeganaut - didn't wreck car in the process!

so, that's cool, i suppose. :)

Twitter: @seryseraphical

PAX East 2012 Omeganaut. Awesomest. Time. Ever.
  • thePOWblockthePOWblock BrooklynRegistered User regular
    just out of curiosity, how much time is this going to take up? i'm coming with my best friend (both our first PAX's) and I'd hate to leave him out in the cold while i'm running around doing this stuff

-2012 PAX East Omegathon Champ
    -twitter handle: FiascoKnowsNYC
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    I'll gladly take your spot for you. :)

There are what, two rounds a day? I am pretty sure something like that. The final round is about 6pm on Sunday (or at least that is what I remember from last year).

God, I really wish I got picked for this.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
    redfield85 wrote:
    I'll gladly take your spot for you. :)

There are what, two rounds a day? I am pretty sure something like that. The final round is about 6pm on Sunday (or at least that is what I remember from last year).

God, I really wish I got picked for this.

I'm sure you don't think it is, but just to be clear in case someone reads this and gets confused, I'm fairly certain nobody can trade spots even if both parties want to :)

• Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    The omegathon takes up your whole weekend, with some gaps in between, but you pretty much have to plan around it.

Others are not allowed to take your place for you.

E6LkoFK.png

• LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    For the folks who may not be as familiar with the Omegathon, you can watch the final round from last year's PAX East here, to get an idea of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRWIR48Sxq4

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
    would my friend be allowed to tag along and get to watch the games and stuff at least? it'd suck if he was left roaming around on his own and what not

would my friend be allowed to tag along and get to watch the games and stuff at least? it'd suck if he was left roaming around on his own and what not

The rounds are public, and everyone is encouraged to attend. There have been +1 rules before, but as the show gets bigger, it's getting more difficult to set that up.

Hey all fellow Omegas!

My Xbox gamertag is TheBaconSndwch

My Steam ID is BaconSandwich (avatar picture of Mega Man)

Feel free to add me, let's play some games!

feel free to add me on xbox live as well (thePOWblock)

• NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Most of your questions about +1s and such will likely be answered once the Omeganaut emails start coming to you. At the very least, you'll have an avenue to speak to someone about those concerns at that point. Just be patient for now, and all will become clear. :)

Congrats to all the nominees, and good luck out there!

Nullzone on
  • ThemiscyraThemiscyra Registered User regular
    Last year the schedule went something like:

Round 1 - Friday, immediately after the keynote, but we had to be there before the keynote for shirt distribution/logistical stuff. (On the plus side, that meant we got to snag first-row seats for the speech.)
    Round 2 - Saturday morning.
    Round 3 - Saturday before the concert (and we had to be there WELL before the concert).
    Round 4 - Sunday morning.
    Round 5 - Sunday afternoon before the closing ceremonies (and, again, we had to be there well before).

I don't know yet if that will change this year. I'm just hoping they don't schedule anything for Friday evening at this point - past that, I'll see how it goes. This WILL eat up your weekend. You WILL have to show up early for every single round, or at least every round in which you're competing (though eliminated contestants are encouraged to cheer the remaining Omeganauts on). Your schedule will be built around this event. Now, that said, there will be time to do other stuff. But the Omegathon will be the center of your PAX East experience. That's just fact.

It's awesome. Don't get me wrong. But you will eat, sleep and breathe Omegathon for three days.

Oh yeah - also? You WILL be asked for a head shot. Not as in sniper rifle, as in a picture of your smiling face. Get yourself prettied up and make arrangements with your best friend or your mom or your personal photographer sooner rather than later. You'll want something nice and high res so you can adjust it to the size they want. You will not have a lot of time to get this done, 'cause they need it for the program and some other stuff that'll be printed on a fairly tight schedule. Do this ASAP.

PAX EAST 2011 Omegathon Finalist - PAX East 2012 Omeganaut
    After time adrift among open stars
    Among tides of light and to shoals of dust
    I will return to where I began
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Moe Fwacky wrote:
    Others are not allowed to take your place for you.

Sadly, I figured that. Haha. Plus, who would want to trade into the competition and not get a call from Mike/Jerry/etc.?

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • MagnifiedXMagnifiedX [E] PC Security Boston, MARegistered User regular
    Good luck to all of the new Omeganauts!

• jcuredjcured Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    if i win i take a vow to get a pax tattoo!

jcured on
  • evan140evan140 Registered User regular
    For several personal reasons I've decided that this event is not for me. I've written an email to PAX_Questions, written a PM to a "super moderator" and finally am posting here. Hopefully they'll pick someone randomly so there's still one more chance for someone to go. If anybody that sees this that can get the word up the chain, that would be helpful. I don't know who to contact about it.

evan140 wrote:
    For several personal reasons I've decided that this event is not for me. I've written an email to PAX_Questions, written a PM to a "super moderator" and finally am posting here. Hopefully they'll pick someone randomly so there's still one more chance for someone to go. If anybody that sees this that can get the word up the chain, that would be helpful. I don't know who to contact about it.

Hey man, sorry you're not going to compete. Here are a couple e-mails you can contact:

Travis (head of omegathon operations) - chief.omegatech at gmail com

Robert Khoo (The man that runs PAX) - rkhoo at penny-arcade com

• evan140evan140 Registered User regular
    Thanks, Bacon.

I hope they can randomly select someone else to join you guys.

edited February 2012
    evan140 wrote:

Moderators on the forums are not PA employees, FYI. PAX is but one very small subsection of the PA forums. PA employees will have "PA Staff" with their avatar on the forums.

zerzhul on
  • PurpleBekPurpleBek Manchester, EnglandRegistered User regular
    Just a QUICK question.
    Would anyone called "Michelle" have rung or is it only Gabe / Tycho ?

pax%20sig.png
    PurpleBek wrote:
    Just a QUICK question.
    Would anyone called "Michelle" have rung or is it only Gabe / Tycho ?

As far as I know it's just them, I haven't heard any omega-call stories involving anyone else

• Etan LawokEtan Lawok Registered User regular
    I got the call a couple of weeks ago. My twitter name is @EtanLawok.

I couldn't believe it when I got the call from Gabe.

Nate.
    Etan Lawok wrote:
    I got the call a couple of weeks ago. My twitter name is @EtanLawok.

I couldn't believe it when I got the call from Gabe.

A New Challenger Appears! Welcome. I'll ask zer to add you to The List!

The first 3 rounds have been revealed!

http://penny-arcade.com/2012/03/09/pax-east8
    Round 1: X-Men
    Merman Theatre, Friday, 4:00 PM

Round 2: Zip-It
    Merman Theatre, Saturday, 2:00 PM

Round 3: Dance Central 2
    Main Theatre, Saturday, 8:00 PM - the opening act to the Saturday night concerts

Final Round: ???
    Main Theatre, Sunday, 5:30 PM

This year’s secret final round will be very cool I think. I don’t want to give too much away but how about a hint?

We had custom equipment built

chew on that for a bit.

• CaldvanCaldvan Registered User regular
    I wonder what version of X-Men? I'm hoping for the old-school Sega version.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-Men_(Sega_Genesis_video_game)

[E]
    X-Men 2: Clone Wars for the Genesis would be more awesome. I'm going to assume it's the arcade game on xbla.

Also: Custom equipment? o_O

• peetsnackpeetsnack Team Green Poké Assist, Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, Head Girl House Hufflepuff The Cleave LandsRegistered User regular
    I can almost guarantee you it will be the arcade game. you can get it on xbl arcade, or to kick it old school, find a stand up in a local arcade.

7B14287.png
    Huh, only four rounds this year? Well, I guess if half of us are eliminated every round, that works. AUGH, and the first round is Friday afternoon, right after the Trans Issues in Gaming panel...which means I'll probably have to miss most/all of said panel. Damn. Welp, you enters your Omegathons and you takes your chances.

Themiscyra wrote: »
    Huh, only four rounds this year? Well, I guess if half of us are eliminated every round, that works. AUGH, and the first round is Friday afternoon, right after the Trans Issues in Gaming panel...which means I'll probably have to miss most/all of said panel. Damn. Welp, you enters your Omegathons and you takes your chances.

Yeah I think they're still trying to get the formula right with the whole pairs thing. Here's hoping it's still fun for all involved :)

Since I'm not sure everyone follows me on Twitter - Omeganauts, please e-mail me at cassandra dot lease at gmail dot com with your contact information (just e-mail is fine). Ross and I are putting together a pre-PAX Omeganaut dinner and I want to reach as many of you as I can. (Traditionally there's actually a pre-PAX breakfast, but if you got the Chief Omegatech's latest e-mail, you can probably see why that won't be feasible. At least not on Friday.)

• MyBFisaTOTALGamerMyBFisaTOTALGamer Boston, MARegistered User new member
    What was the song that those two guys danced to last night? The know the one after was the Spice Girls. That other song was really catchy...sounded like Limp Bizkit but not sure. Any ideas what the song might have been?