As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

OLD [STEAM] Thread: CLOSE ME

• TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    @TychoCelchuuu

If I were debating between Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy, which would you recommend. Both from an overall gameplay perspective and from the narrative perspective?

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Hello new Steam Thread. I love you already.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Pereza0Pereza0 Registered User regular
    TheCanMan wrote:
    @TychoCelchuuu

If I were debating between Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy, which would you recommend. Both from an overall gameplay perspective and from the narrative perspective?

Id recomend

both

because
    both

• bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    TheCanMan wrote:
    @TychoCelchuuu

JO for story. JA for game play. JOs got one game long plot. JA is broken up into individual mission where after you complete (in any order) at least 4 of 5 missions then get a plot mission. I believe there are 15 non plot mission to choose from and 4 or 5 plot mission. The game play in JA is refined from JO with dual sabers and double bladed sabers added to the mix. I believe force powers are more customizable in JA.

Edit: oh and if things go wrong in just the right way in JA you can
    cut Chewie right in half, like Maul at the end of TPM

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    TheCanMan wrote:
    @TychoCelchuuu

JO for story. JA for game play. JOs got one game long plot. JA is broken up into individual mission where after you complete (in any order) at least 4 of 5 missions then get a plot mission. I believe there are 15 non plot mission to choose from and 4 or 5 plot mission. The game play in JA is refined from JO with dual sabers and double bladed sabers added to the mix. I believe force powers are more customizable in JA.

Dammit. That's pretty much exactly what I was afraid of. It seems pretty standard for the sequel of a good game to advance the gameplay but take a step back in the narrative. If JA was just a weaker plot than JO, I'd probably go with the better gameplay. But it sounds like JA almost doesn't even have a story, and SP game without a story aren't all that enticing. Guess I'm leaning towards JO.

EDIT: And by "leaning" what I really meant is "I just bought it". :P

TheCanMan on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    HiT BiT wrote:
    Dark Forces was the first PC game I bought for my first own PC (a 486 DX2) back in 1995. That Doom meets Star Wars was glory made videogame for me!
    I am considering getting Jedi Outcast or Jedi Academy mainly for the multiplayer. Is it still alive? I suppose most of the people playing online will be in Academy, right?

I remember begging my computer to let that game work. Just blowing on the weird cartridge-CD shit I had going on with the Quadra 610 and saying 'please please this is all I ever need it's so good'.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Dark Forces II was my very first multiplayer game. Realizing I could fight lightsaber duels with actual humans over the Internet blew my mind completely.

• PluffPluff BrazilRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    signature.png

update.

Pluff on
    steam_sig.png
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Dark Forces II was my very first multiplayer game. Realizing I could fight lightsaber duels with actual humans over the Internet blew my mind completely.

A buddy of mine in high school had his dad build him a huge 12 foot long desk along one wall of his bedroom. During the summer, I hauled my PC over there and we discovered the joy of LAN multiplayer Jedi Knight. We lightsabered all day every day for at least a week.

We threw in a little Duke 3D and some multiplayer GTA 1, but at least a hundred hours of lightsaber duels were had that week alone.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    We lightsabered all day every day for at least a week.

:winky:

s7Imn5J.png
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular

It's even sexier than it sounds.

• Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    This is a nice mod for Jedi Academy. I always thought it sounded ricidiculous when the Rodian and Kel Dor sounded exactly like the human Jaden. I found this:

http://www.lucasfiles.com/index.php?s=&action=file&id=301&show=more

It changed the Rodian and Kel Dor voice to something that sounds better, and gives an alternate female voice if you didn't like the default one.

• SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    God damn, the Dark Forces sale brings back the memories. JK1 was probably the first game I played where I really got into using mods, and there were some awesome mods and maps and the like that popped up over the years. The humble little Bryar Grapple, though, that was something magical: you, a grapple-remote that replaced the Bryar's alt-fire, and the ability to fly all over the place like a motherfucker.

• KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    Guys someone wants to buy things and I need to know if there are coupons available

Where did ye coupon spreadsheet linky go from the OP?

IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Just reiterating something that everyone should already know. Skyrim is so good.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Kainy wrote:
    Guys someone wants to buy things and I need to know if there are coupons available
    Link to the spreadsheet:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AigST426dr3rdHNsUlJqSmtMbHVDM1JfMDdSVy0xZUE&hl=en_US#gid=0

HiT BiT on
  • ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Just bought dark forces, but when i installed it it just turned out to be a "greatest video games" version and wouldn't go past level 1.

Ha ha just kidding, BUT REMEMBER THAT BULLSHIT?!

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Pereza0Pereza0 Registered User regular
    Kainy wrote:

Where did ye coupon spreadsheet linky go from the OP?
    What games do you want them for?

Just in case

• KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    HiT BiT wrote:
    Kainy wrote:
    Link to the spreadsheet:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AigST426dr3rdHNsUlJqSmtMbHVDM1JfMDdSVy0xZUE&hl=en_US#gid=0

Sadly the coupon isn't there, BUT thanks!

It's for Mass Effect, as someone in the ME thread is considering playing it on an inferior platform because it's $20 on steam, and this is sad.

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Since Tycho is unable to grace the new thread with a comic at the moment, I hope he won't mind me filling in for him

zBydi.jpg

• FremFrem Registered User regular
    Jedi Knight II had the best demo. You had a bunch of force powers, and the enemies changed in tactics and in numbers based on the difficulty level. I must have played it five times.

Jedi Academy's demo is awful. Awful. You customize your character, and you start playing and he starts saying inane things in an annoying voice in cutscenes. The law of a small number of enemy troops being an invincible force in cutscenes takes effect. The level design was also kinda awful; at one point it forces you away from a big battle into a series of boring corridors.

It's glorious, @Gaslight. I especially love how you caught him mid-hat tip.

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Niiiiice, @Gaslight.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote:
    Since Tycho is unable to grace the new thread with a comic at the moment, I hope he won't mind me filling in for him

zBydi.jpg
    Stupendous. Now I feel like I should delay my comic all the time so that other people jump in with wonderful things.

Gentleman, prepare once again to shit your pants.

In Chinese, this time!

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/02/10/frictional-teases-a-new-amnesia-project-possibly-set-in-china/

• LepwaveLepwave Registered User regular
    Communist monsters, the scariest of all monsters.

XBL/CoX tags - Lepwave/@Lepwave
    steam_sig.png
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Communists are by definition monsters.

• ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    It's the communism I can't see that scares me the MOST.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Hey, the edit that TychoCelchuuu did with the kitchen table and Pathfinder strip isn't in the OP and has been for the last few threads.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • SkyEyeSkyEye Registered User regular
    Important Safety Notice:

Nobody buy Stronghold 3. Holy fucking shit is that a terrible shitty pile of anal seepage.

Wait why? I have that on my wishlist. It's because they took out that dude that says "saving," isn't it?

Steam: Autumn_Thunder - SC2: AutumnThundr.563 (NA) - Hearthstone: AutumnThundr.1383

• Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    After banging my head against WAMP all afternoon trying to get OBBM to work properly, and then finding out from a Dev that they never tested it on Windows or WAMP, I was cheered up by a lovely gent. Perhaps you recall him? He is the one with the shining Monocle and ivory cane, that graces us with his mere presence from time time. A tip of the Top hat to good old @Cardboard Delusions for being extremely classy. The gentleman asks if he may have my coupon for Psychonauts, to which I gladly give it to him, as I've heard good things but never experienced them myself. Then what should appear on my screen? but a precious window asking me to Trade with him again, this time, to receive the bundle that he had purchased using the coupon meant for himself, but is now given to me. I shall cherish this gift, and while I am eagerly anticipating it's quick download, shall clutch my controller in my hands and prepare myself for what shall be a great evening.

Banzai5150 on
    50433.png?1708759015
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    Gentleman, prepare once again to shit your pants.

In Chinese, this time!

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/02/10/frictional-teases-a-new-amnesia-project-possibly-set-in-china/

Frictional melding their horror blend with ancient chinese mythology?

8->

Al Baron wrote:
    Hey, the edit that TychoCelchuuu did with the kitchen table and Pathfinder strip isn't in the OP and has been for the last few threads.

I copied the previous OP. Care to link me to said edit?

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Kadoken wrote:
    Repostingbecause full message was cutout by iPhone:

If we get enough regulars of SM (And perhaps Retribution), I think we should make our own chapter and legion with custom skins.
    Chapter names: The Arcadians, The Class Marines, the Top Hat Marines.
    Legion names: Children of Newell, Daily Deal Bearers, and such

You have my chainsword!

steam_sig.png
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    SkyEye wrote:
    Important Safety Notice:

Nobody buy Stronghold 3. Holy fucking shit is that a terrible shitty pile of anal seepage.

Wait why? I have that on my wishlist. It's because they took out that dude that says "saving," isn't it?

It had one of the quietest, worst-received launches I can recall for a reasonably big-named game, and the enormous patch they put on it posthumously did little to appease.

I mean, they didn't include a skirmish mode. In a game about building castles. Also you can't really build a whole castle, because the map-sizes are too small. At best you can wall yourself in to a mountain or the edge of a map, so I hear.

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    You know what I just got working? The Driver San Francisco replays! Ubi website is balls though, had to click the twitter link and then copy/paste it from there. Anyways, here's the video I just made up in minutes of a side mission. Its about a third of the way through the chase and I cut it off at the first point where the mission sorta checkpoints. Barrel rolls and narrowly missing buses ahoy!

http://driver-club.uk.ubi.com/pc/player/bigisy?shareReplay=06a2ea68-c247-43a2-9ab9-fd77674ff609

edit: aspect ratio is messed up thanks to the shitty video player ubi are using. what the hell is wrong with youtube? Dirt 3 uses it, you freaking morons. Also, proof that Ubi didn't just switch the servers off and run away I guess?

Big Classy on
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular

It's even sexier than it sounds.

Something like this I'm guessing

JK was the my first all night lan party. One of my friends had a router and I saved up to buy a NIC so I could get in on the action. Played from like 7pm to 7am. Good times.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Big Isy wrote:
    You know what I just got working? The Driver San Francisco replays! Ubi website is balls though, had to click the twitter link and then copy/paste it from there. Anyways, here's the video I just made up in minutes of a side mission. Its about a third of the way through the chase and I cut it off at the first point where the mission sorta checkpoints. Barrel rolls and narrowly missing buses ahoy!

http://driver-club.uk.ubi.com/pc/player/bigisy?shareReplay=06a2ea68-c247-43a2-9ab9-fd77674ff609

edit: aspect ratio is messed up thanks to the shitty video player ubi are using. what the hell is wrong with youtube? Dirt 3 uses it, you freaking morons. Also, proof that Ubi didn't just switch the servers off and run away I guess?

I wish I had a rig that could handle Driver San Francisco.

I spent an absolutely ridiculous amount of time in the Director Mode in Driver 2 on the PS1 back in the day, I can only imagine how lost to the world I would become making car chase movies with an engine like that.

SmokeStacks on
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Jedi Knight academy game is starting soon so hit me, or corkeh up on steam chat if you want in!

edit:
    I wish I had a rig that could handle Driver San Francisco.

I spent an absolutely ridiculous amount of time in the Director Mode in Driver 2 on the PS1 back in the day, I can only imagine how lost to the world I would become making car chase movies with an engine like that.

Its a fair bit easier to use now imo. Though it still took me a while. :lol:

That video i just edited the speed in those two spots real quick so i could upload it and work out how to link to it for friends.

Big Classy on
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Iolo wrote:
    Hello new Steam Thread. I love you already.

And I love you already

holy shit man

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
This discussion has been closed.