As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tell Obsidian what RPG to kickstart

C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
edited February 2012 in Games and Technology
Double Fine's recent, massive success to fund an old-school Adventure game is amazing. Naturally, this begs the question what this means for the future of the industry. What "other" small projects can be kickstarted?

Maybe.... Have we finally reached a point where we can bring these classic, forgotten gernes and games back? Have we reached a point where we don't have to look at a publisher's laughing face when someone suggests to take a risk and not do Viscreal Cinematic Romance Shooter 7?

Well, at least it has started a discussion. Multiple (private) developer studios are already discussing the new possiblities Double Fine showed us.

Including Obsidian's Chris Avellone (Lead Developer of Planescape: Torment) who's getting the community involved.
All of Double Fine’s success from Kickstarter has been inspiring.

I GUESS PEOPLE LOVE THOSE CLASSIC ADVENTURE GAMES AFTER ALL.*

The idea of player-supported funding is... well, it’s proof certain genres aren’t dead and sequels may have more legs than they seem. And the idea of not having to argue that with a publisher is appealing.

Out of curiosity, if Obsidian did Kickstart a project, what would you want to see funded? (You can respond in comments or to @ChrisAvellone on Twitter, whichever you prefer.)

* I only use all caps for sarcasm and shouting. And for the Think Tank in Old World Blues for comedy value.

Blog: http://forums.obsidian.net/blog/1/entry-158-if-obsidian-kickstarter/

Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/ChrisAvellone

Show your support with your ideas and make such a kickstarter a reality! :)

C2B on

• Options
    Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    I think they should set the game in a single city like with Dragon Age 2 to keep the scope small. I think there is a lot of promise in that model; Bioware just didn't execute it as well as I believe Obsidian could.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    they should just kickstart the KOTOR2 restoration project

I would fund the shit out of that

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    KOTOR 2 Restored, but I'm pretty sure LucasArts or maybe just Lucas considers KOTOR 2 the game equivalent of the Star Wars Holiday Special.

So I'm going to be, shockingly, the first here to suggest Alpha Protocol 2.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    They should make any game, just without massive, crippling, game breaking bugs, heyo

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    Any RPG, but use the infinity engine. BG3 pref.

Seriously though, just use the IE. Low requirements, looks great, easy modding for fixing all the bugs they let slip through.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    new IP, isometric perspective, high-res sprites, inspired by Planescape Torment/Mask of the Betrayer

in space

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    The Old Republic 2.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    They should make an AAA JRPG where all the characters are members of racial and/or sexual minorities.

reVerse on
  • Options
    Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    Lawndart wrote:
    KOTOR 2 Restored, but I'm pretty sure LucasArts or maybe just Lucas considers KOTOR 2 the game equivalent of the Star Wars Holiday Special.

Wasn't KOTOR 2 retconned out of existence for the most part anyway?

• Options
    Igpx407 wrote:
    Lawndart wrote:

Wasn't KOTOR 2 retconned out of existence for the most part anyway?

Only because it outclassed Lucas' writing by a magnitude of 20.

And he draws the line at anything 12 or over.

sig.gif
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    The should just take combat out altogether and make it all about the conversation battles

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote:
    The should just take combat out altogether and make it all about the conversation battles

Monkey%20Island%20-%20Insult%20Swordfighting-468x.jpg

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Spoit wrote:

Seems a bit of a waste now with Tim Cain (who probably would jump at a small scale/size project) and Josh Sawyer.

Of course they could also kickstart two projects: Super wordy rpg and Super Tactical RPG.

C2B on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I have a feeling this newfound obsession with Kickstart is going to end badly.

I'm a little nervous about what Double Fine's going to do to allocate all that $$$ properly.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote:

Everything ends badly. Otherwise it wouldn't end.

• Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote:

I'm a little nervous about what Double Fine's going to do to allocate all that $$$ properly.
    I'd don't mind this considering how terrible the current game development model is. At least they won't have some marketing weasel telling them to find a way to snag the 14-22 demographic and change the character into a white, crewcut beefcake and oh, while you are at it, turn your RPG into a GTA clone, since those things tend to sell at a good 10% above the estimated cost-gain ratio.

• Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote:

Yeah I don't want developers to get the idea that they can just fire up kickstart for everything they want to do that is different. The people won't fund everything and it will burn out eventually. Double Fine did it because they are Double Fine, and they have game ideas a lot of people want that can't seem to get published for some bizarre reason.

Though one thing I like that can come out of this, is kind of what was said here. "Hey look, theres a substantial market for that type of game, who'd have thought?" It might make publishers themselves reconsider turning down certain titles.

PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote:

Eh, in the long run, it'll go like it has in the past with some projects getting funded while others are not. Big difference is that now we'll probably start to see more mid-sized companies trying the kickstarter route and some projects will be aimed more at preorders than outright asking for funding.

Double Fine has made games that cost millions of dollars before. They'll do just fine.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    I dont want companies to get the idea that they can hold things fans want hostage. Or for companies to think that they can just get free funding for items that they plan to make a profit off of anyways.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    this business model caters specifically to hardcore fans that want to see the return of old-school point & click adventures/isometric RPGs, games that would otherwise never be greenlit by a publisher because they don't appeal to the mass market. The alternative to funding these projects is not getting these type of games at all.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    TheGingerTheGinger Registered User regular
    this business model caters specifically to hardcore fans that want to see the return of old-school point & click adventures/isometric RPGs, games that would otherwise never be greenlit by a publisher because they don't appeal to the mass market. The alternative to funding these projects is not getting these type of games at all.

There are quite alot of older gamers these days who appreciate a bit of old-school gaming i can't imagine the market for it being that small, it just wont make game companies a massive profit margin compared to other mainstream games. However, big companies should fund these as side projects, it wouldn't harm them plus bring in new ideas and talent.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Planescape: Morte: Head and Loving It

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    I dont want companies to get the idea that they can hold things fans want hostage. Or for companies to think that they can just get free funding for items that they plan to make a profit off of anyways.
    It's not "free funding." We provide the funding, but not for free. We get a game. It's a trade. This is like saying publishers give free funding to developers. No, they pay for a game that they sell. This is just cutting the publisher out partially or entirely and using the sales of the game to fund the game.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    You shouldn't forget everyone who donated $15 or more has already bought the game. This $1.5 million isn't just DF's funding for this game, it's also part of their income for selling it later.

I would agree with being rather apprehensive about all this if a lot of developers start jumping on the bandwagon. I expect it will be flooded but small indie developers rather soon, if it wasn't already.

E: jesus someone get toady to make a kickstarter for giving dwarf fortress a better ui, now there's a worthy cause.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Rami wrote:
    You shouldn't forget everyone who donated $15 or more has already bought the game. This $1.5 million isn't just DF's funding for this game, it's also part of their income for selling it later.

I would agree with being rather apprehensive about all this if a lot of developers start jumping on the bandwagon. I expect it will be flooded but small indie developers rather soon, if it wasn't already.

E: jesus someone get toady to make a kickstarter for giving dwarf fortress a better ui, now there's a worthy cause.

toady won't ever work on a better ui, for any reason

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    He won't because he doesn't think the main player base care all that much. I remember him saying the people that donate money already play the game and know how it works so they want more content not a prettier UI. $250,000 in kickstarter might convince him though.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Rami wrote:

The 'problem' will come when one of these projects fails. I assume most people who funded this aren't really looking at it as a risk/reward proposition, just kind of a big pre-order. It's not really a big deal for big studios who can either eat the cost or otherwise compensate their creditors, though

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    The 'problem' will come when one of these projects fails. I assume most people who funded this aren't really looking at it as a risk/reward proposition, just kind of a big pre-order. It's not really a big deal for big studios who can either eat the cost or otherwise compensate their creditors, though
    Maybe. Maybe not. I mean, i would certainly risk money to fund a game i wanted that would not get funded otherwise if that game were something i wanted to see made.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    It's not "free funding." We provide the funding, but not for free. We get a game. It's a trade. This is like saying publishers give free funding to developers. No, they pay for a game that they sell. This is just cutting the publisher out partially or entirely and using the sales of the game to fund the game.

If they were making the whole thing open source at the end, or making the game free afterwards, then I would agree. but right now it works like this "fund our ability to make a product that we can infinitely copy at no cost, and weill throw you a copy and keep selling it for a profit afterwards. while creation and development doesnt cost us anything but manhours"

The big problem with the industry right now is noone will take a risk without a good ROI chance. Thats business in general, but this has alot of potential to make things even shittier. But the industry has less reason to do so, and in fact will take advantage. If this takes off I expect a "publishers wont make CoD/madden 50 unless fans pony up 2 million first. oh but you get a dlc skin!" in the next 2-3 years.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    Lawndart wrote:

I definitely want something with AP's conversation style, and I would love another espionage RPG. Kind of feeling like I wouldn't want to give someone funding upfront just so that they could blow 50% of it licensing an intellectual property from whomever owns the rights, though.

If it's absolutely stipulated that the game must be based on an existing intellectual property: Firefly RPG.

• Options
    Rami wrote:

I agree. It will only take a single one of these kickstater ventures to put out a bad game to see any further support for this sort of funding to dramatically decrease.

sig.gif
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    The correct answer is a new game in the PS:T universe. Leave TNO out of it except for maybe in passing conversation with any characters that happen to make cameo appearances.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    SammyF wrote:
    Lawndart wrote:

I definitely want something with AP's conversation style, and I would love another espionage RPG. Kind of feeling like I wouldn't want to give someone funding upfront just so that they could blow 50% of it licensing an intellectual property from whomever owns the rights, though.

If it's absolutely stipulated that the game must be based on an existing intellectual property: Firefly RPG.

If Sega doesn't want to see the rights to the Alpha Protocol IP for, say, a nickel or two, I'd be happy with a spiritual sequel.

I'd certainly kick in money to force Bethesda to have Obsidian make any and all future Fallout games, as well.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    If they'd like to do a Game based on say Discworld set say in Ankh-morpork where you play as say Sam Vimes using an oblivion type engine I would pay at least 100 bucks and that's just to purchase the game.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    What does obsidian wanting to do a smaller team game have to do with big publishers being big publishers anyway?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    reVerse wrote:
    They should make an AAA JRPG where all the characters are members of racial and/or sexual minorities.
    You joke, but I would pay good cash money to see how Obsidian would approach making a JRPG.

Conversations Battles: The Game is totally the correct answer here, though.

• Options
    The_TuninatorThe_Tuninator Registered User regular
    I would love an isometric RPG set in a modern urban fantasy setting, but they should work on whatever ideas they've no doubt had kicking around. That's probably the best recipe for an excellent game.

• Options
    Monger wrote:
    reVerse wrote:
    You joke, but I would pay good cash money to see how Obsidian would approach making a JRPG.

you'd wander around a big open world engaging in repetitive, simplistic combat with a variety of gaudy monsters as you make your way through a storyline you never quite fully understand

oh wait

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Spoit wrote:
    What does obsidian wanting to do a smaller team game have to do with big publishers being big publishers anyway?

It's not only wanting to do a smaller team game. It's wanting to do an old style type rpg that otherwise would never be greenlight by a publisher (And they probably have a history of dozen of rejected pitches so far).

It's basically the same point Tim Schaefer makes at 00:50 in the kickstarter video.

C2B on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    Monger wrote:
    reVerse wrote:

you'd wander around a big open world engaging in repetitive, simplistic combat with a variety of gaudy monsters as you make your way through a storyline you never quite fully understand

oh wait
    You're on my list.