As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Microsoft revises Xbox 360 Warranty

PeekingDuckPeekingDuck __BANNED USERS regular
edited July 2007 in Games and Technology
Well I didn't see this posted anywhere... and it is pretty big news. I did post it in the broken 360 thread, but here you go!

"Open Letter From Peter Moore
To our Xbox Community:

You’ve spoken, and we’ve heard you. Good service and a good customer experience are areas of the business that we care deeply about. And frankly, we’ve not been doing a good enough job.

Some of you have expressed frustration with the customer experiences you have had with Xbox 360; frustration with having to return your console for service after receiving the general hardware error message on the console.

The majority of customers who own Xbox 360 consoles have had a terrific experience from their first day, and continue to, day in and day out. But when anyone questions the reliability of our product, or our commitment to our customers, it’s something I take very seriously.

We have been following this issue closely, and with on-going testing have identified several factors that can cause a general hardware failure indicated by three flashing red lights on the console. To address this issue, and as part of our ongoing work, we have already made certain improvements to the console.

We are also implementing some important policy changes intended to keep you in the game, worry-free.

As of today, all Xbox 360 consoles are covered by an enhanced warranty program to address specifically the general hardware failures indicated by the three flashing red lights on the console. This applies to new and previously-sold consoles. While we will still have a general one year console warranty (two years in some countries), we are announcing today a three-year warranty that covers any console that displays a three flashing red lights error message. If a customer has an issue indicated by the three flashing red lights, Microsoft will repair the console free of charge -- including shipping -- for three years from the console’s purchase date. We will also retroactively reimburse any of you who paid for repairs related to problems indicated by this error message in the past. In doing so, Microsoft stands behind its products and takes responsibility to ensure that every Xbox 360 console owner continues to have a fantastic gaming experience.

If we have let any of you down in the experience you have had with your Xbox 360, we sincerely apologize. We are taking responsibility and are making these changes to ensure that every Xbox 360 owner continues to have a great experience.

This will take a few days to roll out globally, and I appreciate your continued patience as we launch this program. I’ve posted an FAQ that should address some additional questions, and we’ll update it over the next few days.

I want to thank you, on behalf of all us at Microsoft, for your loyalty. "

PeekingDuck on

• Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I just broke down and ordered a Premium yesterday.

This is fantastic news.

edit: source?

Faricazy on
  • Options
    wenchkillawenchkilla Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    No way. This just sold me a 360.

Wait...that was their plan..DAMNIT!

Really though, if this is as good as it sounds, it's really great! Three years against overheating is nothing to sneeze at. Also if they implemented a warranty this strong, they probably really did fix the issue in future consoles.

wenchkilla on
    gamingsig.jpg
    PSN/XBL: dragoniemx
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    That's... amazing. Kudos for admitting the hardware problems and actually dealing with it in a satisfactory matter!

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    hell yes. That is awesome news.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Kinda nice to see they extended it for 3 years. *nod*

urahonky on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    That's the weirdest warranty ever, but cool.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Definitely the right thing to do, they did what they needed to. Very good on them. Kudos, Microsoft.

Also, it's pretty cool to see it as a letter from Peter Moore, rather than a press release. That's class right there. :^:

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    That's the weirdest warranty ever, but cool.

one year for every red light! (up to a maximum of three)

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    This is how you sell consoles.

Endomatic on
  • Options
    ginguskahnginguskahn Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Excellent :)

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    The source is the frontpage of xbox.com, sorry I forgot to link it!

PeekingDuck on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Faricazy wrote: »
    I just broke down and ordered a Premium yesterday.

This is fantastic news.

edit: source?

front page of Xbox.com

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/petermooreletter.htm

This is definitly fantastic news. I think they have nailed down the failure issue and they will be issuing upgrade patches to failed consoles. Thats the only thing I can think of that would cause them to go through with this.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    That and class action lawsuits. :) For whatever reason, I'm glad they did it so I don't have to buy the extended warranty (just jinxed myself).

PeekingDuck on
  • Options
    Elessar ElfstoneElessar Elfstone Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Totally awesome news. I was planning on getting the Extended Warranty soon, no need now I guess.

Elessar Elfstone on
    Tobias: Or it could be your colon. I'd want to get in there and find some answers.

Forsake, Warlock of Stonemaul
  • Options
    galenbladegalenblade Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    And there goes my last excuse to hold off getting a 360.

Nice move on Microsoft's part. The retroactive reimbursement of repair costs is very classy.

galenblade on
    linksig.jpg
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    My 360 is covered from 3 rings for the next 3 years?!

Oh mother fucking YES!!

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Holy crap. That was classy. And I can't remember when a manufacturer's warranty has been extended so far. Not to mention this is the first time they've acknowledged the problems.

Now if only we can get confirmation that the hardware has ACTUALLY been fixed.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I think the warranty excludes Longhorns. Just on general principle. :)

PeekingDuck on
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Sweet. Any worries I had about buying a 360 have disappeared. I'm definitely going to get one soon.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    .la1n.la1n Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I would have appreciated all this a whole heck of a lot more if it had been an announcement that they were going to be sending out new 360s that had necessary hardware modification to prevent the need for a three year warranty, but whatever floats their boat.

.la1n on
  • Options
    PejPej Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Nice. I had been holding off buying a 360 until my Xbox backlog was cleaned out (soon!) and all of these hardware failure horror stories had helped a lot in my struggle to resist the temptation to impulsively buy one. Argh...

Pej on
    This cave leads to the inhospitable surface of the planet. There is nothing for you to see there.
  • Options
    BaronVonSnakPakBaronVonSnakPak Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    the last time they extended the warranty was right when my launch 360 died.

this is great news, gives me a little over a year to abuse my current 360.

BaronVonSnakPak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    360 Gamertag: Baronskatenbass Steam: BaronVonSnakPak HgL: AnsonLuap
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    My 360 is covered from 3 rings for the next 3 years?!

Oh mother fucking YES!!

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    VulnoXVulnoX Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Remember, this is just for the three red lights. If you break a DVD drive or whatever, that is still under the standard warranty not this new one.

VulnoX on
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Jesus, that is awesome. The one giant problem with the 360 fixed just like that. Well played.

corin7 on
  • Options
    DaybreakDaybreak Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Fantastic news! And Kudos to MS for doing this.

Daybreak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    KarfKarf The Past Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    This is a good will move.

And it's also the only move they had. There was either do nothing and die or take a hit and live.

Karf on
    sig9.gif
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So, if you don't have your receipt (stupid, I know), do you have any way to say "based on X, the earliest I could have purchased this unit is Y?"

I don't have any rings, but I don't know where my receipt is. Or maybe if something goes wrong I could get Circuit City to print out a new one since I used a credit card?

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    tarnoktarnok Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Wait, is this Microsoft's Xbox 360? Or some other Xbox 360?

tarnok on
    Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Great news. And good timing right before e3 where you just KNOW the whole gaming community is gonna be like 'oh who cares itll probably die on me anyways'

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    heh, now seeing how many people here are saying "this has now tipped me into getting a 360", and having heard peoples' fears in general about 360s being rather brittle, i'm wondering how much thunder this might be stealing from anything Sony have to say next week.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    jclast wrote: »
    So, if you don't have your receipt (stupid, I know), do you have any way to say "based on X, the earliest I could have purchased this unit is Y?"

I don't have any rings, but I don't know where my receipt is. Or maybe if something goes wrong I could get Circuit City to print out a new one since I used a credit card?

I'd print a new receipt up.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

or you could go into your bank statement and show them that

Faricazy on
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

probably. Each 360 has a system serial number, which gets scanned when they are sold. There is probably some way they can tell when you bought it.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    urahonky wrote: »

Next time I'm at Circuit City, I'll get them to print me a new receipt to hang on the fridge. It can hang out with my Phantom Hourglass preorder (and Blue Dragon if I can scrape together the funds).

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    tarnok wrote: »
    Wait, is this Microsoft's Xbox 360? Or some other Xbox 360?
    CUZ MICRO$OFT EM I RITE OLOL

Faricazy on
  • Options
    CymoroCymoro Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Great, now Microsoft is stealing customer service from Nintendo! What next?

Seriously though, that's really awesome

Cymoro on
    i am perpetual, i make the country clean
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    darleysam wrote: »
    heh, now seeing how many people here are saying "this has now tipped me into getting a 360", and having heard peoples' fears in general about 360s being rather brittle, i'm wondering how much thunder this might be stealing from anything Sony have to say next week.

Actually, this is probably a "get-it-out-of-your-system" tactic like the way Nintendo pulled off the revelation of the Wii's name a week before E3. The Intertron exploded with "more like the Nintendo Pee-Pee, lolz," and had time to die down. By the time E3 came around, everyone was ready to concentrate on the games.

The thinking here might be to soften the hardware issue griping in the same way to get us to concentrate on the games.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    JelloblimpJelloblimp Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    urahonky wrote: »

Next time I'm at Circuit City, I'll get them to print me a new receipt to hang on the fridge. It can hang out with my Phantom Hourglass preorder (and Blue Dragon if I can scrape together the funds).
    They can also go by when you registered your 360 on xbox.com (if you did that). Also there is the manufacturing date in the back.

Jelloblimp on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    the 360 isnt even 3 years old yet. Christ its not even 2 years old yet.

If you dont have a receipt or other proof of purchase, it goes by the Date of MFG on your console (on the back above teh serial number).

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right