As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Avengers] Go see it May 4th in the US! And...way earlier almost everywhere else

• Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote:
    There is a difference between explaining your opinions and shitting on other peoples' taste and views

saying "I do not like Bendis' writing, I personally think he is a shit writer for these reasons" is cool

saying "You like garbage" less so

plus while you may try to restrict your jerkiness to other jerks, you don't do a good job of it. I mean in the Batman thread you fucking told a guy to kill himself in a volcano because he wanted Darkseid in a Superman movie.

yeah pretty much this spex

you don't just post your opinion and give reasons, you go out of your way to set yourself up as some arbiter of good tastes by insulting other people when they disagree with you. maybe you don't mean to do this, but that's how it comes off

and you certainly don't foster discussion, no matter how many points or reasons you list off, because again every post is written in such a smug and condescending tone. no one wants to have any real conversation with that.

in the end you end up looking like this guy

tumblr_lqjon2Ls0q1qgyf27o1_r1_400.gif

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Hullis wrote:
    Pony wrote:
    yeah comixology doesn't really seem for me

i'm extremely particular about my online purchases/services i pay money for, and while i'll spend $2 on a chocolate bar at the corner store, spending $2 online on a comic book is something i have to be able to justify to myself and quite frankly i don't think i can

that's fair, some people like to physically see where their money is going

(I should probably turn into one of those people)

i've had to adopt this mindset of justification and restraint with online purchases, otherwise i go bonkers with them, especially tiny purchases of like $2 here and there (fuck you STEAM)

• Options
    i am sooooo glad Toronto has the Silver Snail

which is a nice, clean, mainstream comic book shop that has back issue boxes and stuff and a really good selection

the other comic book stores around here are tiny little armpit clubhouse type places full of the worst kind of nerds and they smell like cat piss

like the Hairy Tarantula and shit like that

fuck those places, man

i'd buy my god damn comics in an Indigo if i could (sometimes i do!)

• Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    Turambar wrote:
    rfilyaw wrote:
    My input is as follows:
    I really like the idea of an Avengers movie. I wish it had even more guys, but that would be excessive, and the licensing stuff is cruel

Mainly, I hope this movie is really long, like 3 hours. Otherwise, with so many main characters, it's going to feel rushed and disjointed. Then again, I wish all movies were 4 hours long. Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings movies spoiled me.

Looking forward to it. I went too long without watching Iron Man, not realizing how fun it was.

Have you seen all 5 of the lead up movies, ronnie?

woah, fast-moving thread

Which do you mean? Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, Cap Am and one other I can't think of?

• Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote:
    There is a difference between explaining your opinions and shitting on other peoples' taste and views

saying "I do not like Bendis' writing, I personally think he is a shit writer for these reasons" is cool

plus while you may try to restrict your jerkiness to other jerks, you don't do a good job of it. I mean in the Batman thread you fucking told a guy to kill himself in a volcano because he wanted Darkseid in a Superman movie.

The "you like garbage" line was in response to Huntera who said Anti's post was horrible simply because she doesn't like Bendis. And the volcano bit I don't see how anyone could actually take that seriously. Regardless, I apologized for that bit, I think even in the very same post in which I said it, and I explained why I overreacted so I think perhaps you're making that incident out to be worse than it really was.

And I think that you're allowed to strongly disapprove of people's opinions when they can't really justify them. Like someone saying they like Jim Lee despite the fact that his stuff is sloppy, stiff, uninspired and outdated.

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Pony wrote:
    wirehead26 wrote:
    Ah OK. I started getting The Boys in trade format but I just started reading it on comiXology now because apparently this newest arc is the last one so I don't want to wait for it. Never read Herogasm or the Hugie miniseries though, heard they were pretty bad. Will eventually get the Butcher one.

the Hughie miniseries is terrible

herogasm adds some interesting character beats and stuff but for the most part takes the already over-the-top sexuality and bizarre bullshit of the series into over-drive

there's a scene that none-too-subtly implies
    that black noir rapes hughie

and it doesn't come up ever again and i don't know why they put it in there

The Boys is already trashy, gratuitous schlock

herogasm pushes that waaaay over the line

Regarding that spoiler...
    In I believe issue 61 Hughie confirms that Noir stuck his thumb up his ass. He actually tells the whole team this since it's been nagging at him the whole time.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    rfilyaw wrote:
    Turambar wrote:
    rfilyaw wrote:
    My input is as follows:
    I really like the idea of an Avengers movie. I wish it had even more guys, but that would be excessive, and the licensing stuff is cruel

Mainly, I hope this movie is really long, like 3 hours. Otherwise, with so many main characters, it's going to feel rushed and disjointed. Then again, I wish all movies were 4 hours long. Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings movies spoiled me.

Looking forward to it. I went too long without watching Iron Man, not realizing how fun it was.

Have you seen all 5 of the lead up movies, ronnie?

woah, fast-moving thread

Which do you mean? Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, Cap Am and one other I can't think of?

think he's counting Iron Man 2

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    clitoris.jpg

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    powers is pretty great

i have the first trade of that somewhere

• Options
    Pony wrote:

which is a nice, clean, mainstream comic book shop that has back issue boxes and stuff and a really good selection

the other comic book stores around here are tiny little armpit clubhouse type places full of the worst kind of nerds and they smell like cat piss

fuck those places, man

Are all comic book shops in Toronto named like they could be weird sex moves?

• Options
    Pony wrote:
    powers is pretty great

i have the first trade of that somewhere

I got the hardcover for Christmas a couple years ago

It's crazy good

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    Olivaw wrote:
    clitoris.jpg

That girl's head is enormous.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Spectre-x wrote:
    Blankzilla wrote:

The "you like garbage" line was in response to Huntera who said Anti's post was horrible simply because she doesn't like Bendis. And the volcano bit I don't see how anyone could actually take that seriously. Regardless, I apologized for that bit, I think even in the very same post in which I said it, and I explained why I overreacted so I think perhaps you're making that incident out to be worse than it really was.

And I think that you're allowed to strongly disapprove of people's opinions when they can't really justify them. Like someone saying they like Jim Lee despite the fact that his stuff is sloppy, stiff, uninspired and outdated.

People, regular people, should just be able to say "I just think it looks good" though

I mean not everyone knows about art structure or whatever, but people do know what they like. If someone can't justify why they like something, it's maybe not because there is no reason but because they can't articulate it specifically. And that's fine. We aren't art critics, we're comic fans on a forum.

And as I've said before, you could be more tactful about it when you disagree with someone, though I do appreciate that you make the effort to do that in any case.

Solar on
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    Keith wrote:
    Macro9 wrote:
    Yesssss

I smell more comic book hate.

This thread will make me strong as I feed on its terrible energy.

Have to talk about Jeph Loeb just to feel alive

His son dying was the best thing that ever happened to me. I felt like I could rip the world apart after that.
    God

I feel like shit saying that.

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    Like a gigantic balloon head.

• Options
    Spectre-x wrote:
    Pony wrote:

fuck those places, man

Are all comic book shops in Toronto named like they could be weird sex moves?

maybe?

uh let's see

Silver Snail
    Hairy Tarantula
    The Beguiling
    One Million Comix
    Atomic Age
    Third Quadrant

i can't think of how most of those would be sex acts

i mean i can't even get creative to think of how those would be sex acts

• Options
    Powers had Warren Ellis playing himself in an earlier issue so that alone made the series amazing.

• Options
    Spectre-x wrote:

To be fair the cop's jaw is literally square

Aint no artistic realism strived for here

• Options
    ah fuck you vanilla

i had a nice post explaining why people respond to you posts the way they do, spex

vanilla apparently ate it

pretty much the way you post comes off in a smug and condescending tone, whether you mean it to or not. you set yourself up as some bastion of good taste with how you present your opinions, and regard everyone who disagrees as an idiot. it doesn't foster discussion like you seem to hope it will, because no one wants to have a conversation about what they think when the other person is just going to berate them for it.

you approach this as if someone who disagrees with you just hasn't seen reason, and if you post enough stuff they will realize their mistake. I understand you're passionate about the subject, but the way you approach it does not make anyone in their right mind want to have a discussion with you

because you come off like mort from anime club

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Macro9 wrote:
    Keith wrote:
    Macro9 wrote:
    Yesssss

His son dying was the best thing that ever happened to me. I felt like I could rip the world apart after that.
    God

hahaha jesus

• Options
    Spectre-x wrote:

Oeming is a bizarre artist

Sometimes he draws really good, consistent stuff like Powers

And other times he draws heinous awful shit that no one in their right mind should be proud of, like that Left 4 Dead comic

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    DuxDux A host to DarknessRegistered User regular
    Macro9 wrote:
    Keith wrote:
    Macro9 wrote:
    Yesssss

God

You should.

• Options
    but seriously Toronto's comic book shops are largely awful

The Beguiling, I wouldn't describe as an armpit clubhouse

instead it specializes in indie comics and has Scott Pilgrim posters everywhere and is full of snooty hipsters

• Options
    Olivaw wrote:
    Spectre-x wrote:

Oeming is a bizarre artist

Sometimes he draws really good, consistent stuff like Powers

And other times he draws heinous awful shit that no one in their right mind should be proud of, like that Left 4 Dead comic

Don't think it could have been any worse than what Al Milgrom shat out in Secret Wars 2.

• Options
    i had also included this .gif at the end of the post because it is delightful

tumblr_lqjon2Ls0q1qgyf27o1_r1_400.gif

• Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    just looks like an extreme perspective thing to me *shrug*

• Options
    picking on a comic's art over something like perspective in an obviously really stylized book seems an enormously pedantic thing to bitch about just for the sake of bitching

but then

i'm not an artist

so maybe if i was that'd bother me more

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    jeph loeb used to write okay comics that were silly in execution, or some really great stuff, and then he went off the deep end

Antimatter on
  • Options
    Antimatter wrote:
    jeph loeb used to write okay comics that were silly in execution, or some really great stuff, and then he went off the deep end

kinda around the time his son died

• Options
    Solar wrote:
    Spectre-x wrote:
    Blankzilla wrote:

People, regular people, should just be able to say "I just think it looks good" though

I mean not everyone knows about art structure or whatever, but people do know what they like. If someone can't justify why they like something, it's maybe not because there is no reason but because they can't articulate it specifically. And that's fine. We aren't art critics, we're comic fans on a forum.

And as I've said before, you could make an effort to be more tactful about it when you disagree with someone, though I do appreciate that you make the effort to do that in any case.

I suppose you're right. I just can't help it when they become defensive about it, though. It's like blood in the water and I'm a shark.

• Options
    i've known spex for many years

he's sort of like a hurricane of strongly held opinions

when he washes over an area bludgeoning people with what he thinks about what they think i can't even be mad

it's just his nature

• Options
    Pony wrote:
    picking on a comic's art over something like perspective in an obviously really stylized book seems an enormously pedantic thing to bitch about just for the sake of bitching

but then

i'm not an artist

so maybe if i was that'd bother me more

I'm not bothered by it, it just looks funny.

• Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote:

I think he can still write some decent comics.

I liked Ultimate X and Fallen Son.

Most other of his more recent stuff is pretty shitty, though.

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    Loeb still writes decent stuff sometimes. The Fallen miniseries was one, and the Ultimate X mini another.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Pony wrote:
    Antimatter wrote:

kinda around the time his son died
    yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

fallen son was pretty good, that's right

haven't read his other thing

Antimatter on
  • Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    I like Ultimate X Origins.

It wasn't high art or anything, but it was fun enough.

And I wanna see more of The Guardian.

• Options
    jeph loeb also wrote Heroes, especially in the 2nd season

and

well

you saw what happened

• Options
    Pony wrote:
    jeph loeb also wrote Heroes, especially in the 2nd season

and

well

you saw what happened

To be fair I heard the series got even worse when he left.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Pony wrote:
    i've known spex for many years

he's sort of like a hurricane of strongly held opinions

when he washes over an area bludgeoning people with what he thinks about what they think i can't even be mad

it's just his nature

I like Spex

And I have defended the right to be mad about shit that one loves many times

I just think there is a difference between being mad about something in comics, and being kind of jerky towards some because you disagree with their opinions, dislike what they like or vice versa.

Nothing wrong with asking for a little civility

Solar on
  • Options
    are we ready to hug it out yet

been waiting for this comic book hug out for MONTHS

This discussion has been closed.