As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Google Chrome vs Firefox

• BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    Fiskav wrote: »
    Barrakketh wrote:
    Djeet wrote: »
    So I just learned why Google services all are so fast on Chrome: SPDY.
    Firefox "Aurora" builds support SPDY, but it's disabled by default. The Kindle Fire also uses SPDY for its Silk browser.

So I have to use Firefox Nightly builds, and then enable SPDY to use it?
    I don't believe it's a nightly (see the page), more like a Alpha (probably closest to Chrome's dev channel). And you have to enable it with the network.http.spdy.enabled preference.
    It's not on the normal Firefox releases, even as an option?
    Nope.

Funny thing, it was actually removed from Firefox for a few days because of memory limitations in Microsoft's C++ compiler and was re-added a few days later.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    So I switched to Google Chrome months ago and at first I loved it. Firefox was constantly crashing my system so Chrome offered relief while still being able to keep the stuff i wanted. However Google Chrome has started going to shit. The browser will be "waiting for cache" and inevitably my pc bluescreens. If I try to ctrlaltdel to eliminate Chrome's process the computer goes to a black screen where nothing can be done but a hard reset. I just want a browser that isn't a pile of shit, but thus far they're all piles of shit. I've looked for solutions to my 'waiting for cache' problem and thus far none have worked.

• FiskavFiskav Registered User regular
    edited December 2015

Fiskav on
    steam_sig.png
  • ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    Fiskav wrote:
    Shogun wrote:
    So I switched to Google Chrome months ago and at first I loved it. Firefox was constantly crashing my system so Chrome offered relief while still being able to keep the stuff i wanted. However Google Chrome has started going to shit. The browser will be "waiting for cache" and inevitably my pc bluescreens. If I try to ctrlaltdel to eliminate Chrome's process the computer goes to a black screen where nothing can be done but a hard reset. I just want a browser that isn't a pile of shit, but thus far they're all piles of shit. I've looked for solutions to my 'waiting for cache' problem and thus far none have worked.

Tried Opera? When my other browsers start playing up, I normally just open up Opera and browse away.

If I can get shit like no(t)script, adblocker, and stylish I'll switch today. This waiting for cache thing used to be maybe once a week, but now its every fucking day.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Shogun wrote:

Have you at any point thought to yourself "Hmm, two world class browsers very few other people have an issues with, maybe it's my system?".

Seriously, when your system starts blue screening, it's something WAY deeper than Chrome. Bad RAM is usually the first thing you check for, then go from there. I would also check your video card, as both Firefox and Chrome do some hardware acceleration.

e: I realized that first line sounded really snarky when I meant it to be jokey...so here's my confirmation: Read that in a jokey voice, not a snarky one.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Shogun wrote:
    Fiskav wrote:
    Shogun wrote:

Tried Opera? When my other browsers start playing up, I normally just open up Opera and browse away.

If I can get shit like no(t)script, adblocker, and stylish I'll switch today. This waiting for cache thing used to be maybe once a week, but now its every fucking day.
    All that shit's built in to Opera.

edited February 2012
    GnomeTank wrote:
    Shogun wrote:

Have you at any point thought to yourself "Hmm, two world class browsers very few other people have an issues with, maybe it's my system?".

Seriously, when your system starts blue screening, it's something WAY deeper than Chrome. Bad RAM is usually the first thing you check for, then go from there. I would also check your video card, as both Firefox and Chrome do some hardware acceleration.

e: I realized that first line sounded really snarky when I meant it to be jokey...so here's my confirmation: Read that in a jokey voice, not a snarky one.

I don't bluescreen when gaming or when watching VLC. A crash always happens the same way. In firefox I'll have a few tabs going and maybe some flash video. It will hang, screen goes white, and I can let it bluescreen or reset. In Chrome I'll get the waiting for cache, it hangs, if I ctrl alt delete the screen goes black. If I just wait it bluescreens every time. I'm not disagreeing with you either. I strongly believe there is something wrong with this motherboard. I have no intention of keeping it, as Asus went very wrong on this one, but I can't rebuild just yet. I've tested my memory and both sticks seem fine, I do believe one or both of the channels might be iffy however. One thing that does seem to always be a common factor is that flash video is playing in a tab when i crash. I do full regular scans for viruses and malware.

edit: also google that 'waiting for cache' bug and you'll find that many more than "very few" people have a similar problem as me with Chrome. Google knows about it as well and thus far has been unable to fix it.

Shogun on
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Yeah, lately Chrome has gotten very laggy on loading pages. I don't crash or anything, but it definitely seems to be slowing down more and more each week.

I could fix this in Firefox by deleting my profile (not sure why), but I don't think Chrome uses profiles. Either way, it's not the end of the world, but it's fairly annoying how slow it can be at times. The forums themselves can take 10+ seconds to respond (not load, respond) but that may be just them and not Chrome.

Also it's 2012, why is there 64-bit version of Chrome? Come the fuck on, Google!

Chrome loads the boards rather quickly for me. I've been using the same profile for years.

And there are 64-bit versions of Chrome, unless you use Windows :P

• Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    I do. :(

Yeah, it's not all the time, which makes me think it's on the board's end and not mine. Right now they're loading fast enough.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Thread resurrection: I've been driven to Firefox because, to my annoyance, Chrome refuses to properly load Word Web App for my university's outlook client (thus not letting me read documents in Chrome). No other browser has this problem, and installing Chrome on my laptop reveals the same outcome.

This, alongside Chrome's tendency to break Unicode support for languages besides what you've selected, has caused me to drop it until I can solve at least one of these issues. Anyone know what might cause this?

Synthesis on
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Thread resurrection: I've been driven to Firefox because, to my annoyance, Chrome refuses to properly load Word Web App for my university's outlook client. No other browser has this problem, and installing Chrome on my laptop reveals the same outcome.

Anyone know what might cause this?
    Check the developer console and see what it says (Ctrl + Shift + I).

edited February 2012
    Checking that, I don't see anything out of the ordinary (then again, I wouldn't know what to look for). "Word Web App encountered an unexpected error," and nothing I can do about it.

Synthesis on
  • MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Not gonna argue about which browser is better...But Chrome is fast and efficient for me. That is all.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
    Opera is the best of both worlds harrr.

• DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Opera for life!

Hopefully they can survive that long with almost no one using their browser on computers. I've heard their biggest market share is their browser for mobiles anyway.

I mean, they give the browser away for free, so I'm not sure it's a big deal to them how many people use it or not (apparently in a bunch of Eastern European countries like Russia Opera has a much higher market share, up to 50% in some weird place even).

Opera has a very big presence in Taiwan, though I'm not sure how big their chunk of the pie is. They're probably ahead of Safari, but that's not saying much.

They had a big presence at Computex 2011--I didn't even realize Opera Software was a corporation, rather than a brand name. Even had booth babes, I think.

That's just it, they didn't used to give the browser away for free, it used to be paid. Then there was an ad-supported version you could get to have it 'free', then they abandoned it altogether, because they couldn't really get people to use it after the emergence of Firefox. I imagine anyway.

But usage still isn't anywhere near great, which is a shame because it's a fantastic browser and all other browsers are built upon the concepts that they first pioneered.

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Shogun wrote:
    I don't bluescreen when gaming or when watching VLC. A crash always happens the same way. In firefox I'll have a few tabs going and maybe some flash video. It will hang, screen goes white, and I can let it bluescreen or reset. In Chrome I'll get the waiting for cache, it hangs, if I ctrl alt delete the screen goes black. If I just wait it bluescreens every time. I'm not disagreeing with you either. I strongly believe there is something wrong with this motherboard. I have no intention of keeping it, as Asus went very wrong on this one, but I can't rebuild just yet. I've tested my memory and both sticks seem fine, I do believe one or both of the channels might be iffy however. One thing that does seem to always be a common factor is that flash video is playing in a tab when i crash. I do full regular scans for viruses and malware.

edit: also google that 'waiting for cache' bug and you'll find that many more than "very few" people have a similar problem as me with Chrome. Google knows about it as well and thus far has been unable to fix it.

Urgh, seriously, it's your system. Probably the RAM (or RAM channel as you have realized).

VLC doesn't hog memory - streaming video is an activity with a very fixed memory footprint.

Web-browsing - with multiple tabs - is not. It will aggressively use more and more memory because you have more and more things IN memory.

So what's happening is your filling up your memory to the point it's bad - either getting onto the second stick, or second channel or whatever, and the errors are building up until a pointer overwrites kernel memory and then that's the end of the game.

The other thing to note is flash video buffers to your computer - and generally not to disk. That's why you're seeing it most commonly with flash, because the buffering rapidly fills up your RAM.

Dranyth wrote:
    That's just it, they didn't used to give the browser away for free, it used to be paid. Then there was an ad-supported version you could get to have it 'free', then they abandoned it altogether, because they couldn't really get people to use it after the emergence of Firefox. I imagine anyway.

But usage still isn't anywhere near great, which is a shame because it's a fantastic browser and all other browsers are built upon the concepts that they first pioneered.

Probably before that, back in the Mozilla days.

I believe it was 2005 when Opera went free, right around there anyway.

• FremFrem Registered User regular
    Dranyth wrote:
    I believe it was 2005 when Opera went free, right around there anyway.

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

See? @Frem knows what's up.

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Shogun wrote:

Urgh, seriously, it's your system. Probably the RAM (or RAM channel as you have realized).

VLC doesn't hog memory - streaming video is an activity with a very fixed memory footprint.

Web-browsing - with multiple tabs - is not. It will aggressively use more and more memory because you have more and more things IN memory.

So what's happening is your filling up your memory to the point it's bad - either getting onto the second stick, or second channel or whatever, and the errors are building up until a pointer overwrites kernel memory and then that's the end of the game.

The other thing to note is flash video buffers to your computer - and generally not to disk. That's why you're seeing it most commonly with flash, because the buffering rapidly fills up your RAM.

Yeah, even if there's a bug in Chrome, no browser bugs alone will BLUESCREEN a modern machine. Vista and W7 are very good at keeping the system up.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    Dranyth wrote:
    See? @Frem knows what's up.

Checking it out, it does look like Mozilla's browser hit in November of 2004, so yeah, a bit before. I think it was free back then.

Then again, it wasn't very good back then, from what I remember.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Opera came about when Mosiac branched between netscape and IE didn't it?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    One thing that does seem to always be a common factor is that flash video is playing in a tab when i crash.

Yay plugins! There's some hitch between Flash and my 64-bit Intel GMA drivers so that after I've been watching streaming video for a while, the next time I click the play/pause button or fullscreen/restore the video, my graphics driver locks up, and I have to log out or switch users to make it go back to normal. Nothing other than flash does it.

I also used to be able to lock up Chrome hard by playing a game that used the Unity3D plugin and switching to a different tab.

There is quite likely something hardware related going on, but I wouldn't be surprised if Flash was the catalyst triggering it. Try disabling all your plugins for a while and seeing what happens.

bowen wrote:
    Opera came about when Mosiac branched between netscape and IE didn't it?

Eh, depends on the events I suppose.

Mosiac was developed at the National Center for Supercomputing Applications at the University of Illinois in 1992 and was officially released in 1993. The leader of the team that created Mosaic, Marc Andreessen, went on to found Mosaic Communications Corporation which later became Netscape Communications Corporation, which produced Netscape Navigator in 1994 under the development of many of the original Mosaic authors, however it intentionally shared no code with Mosaic.

A company called Spyglass licensed the technology and all trademarks of Mosaic from the NCSA, producing their own browser but never using any of the Mosaic source code and in 1995, Microsoft licensed the Spyglass Mosaic. They modified it and it became Internet Explorer. Though as of IE7, it no longer contains any Mosaic code.

Opera was begun as a research project in 1994 at Telenor, a Norwegian Telecommunications company. In 1995 it branched out into a separate company known as Opera Software ASA, and the first publicly released version of Opera was 2.0 released in 1996. Opera 8.5 was the first version to be release completely free in 2005, at which point primary financial support came from Google under contract to become the default search engine in Opera.

Very interesting, some stuff in there I didn't know.

• KatoKato Registered User regular
    I got a question to throw in here...

FireFox has a cool thing called FireBug or whatever. It lets you edit the html/css of a website and make the changes visible as you type it so you can see exactly what effect the code is having on the page. Is there anything like that for Chrome by chance?

Signature??
    Kato wrote: »

FireFox has a cool thing called FireBug or whatever. It lets you edit the html/css of a website and make the changes visible as you type it so you can see exactly what effect the code is having on the page. Is there anything like that for Chrome by chance?
    Chrome's built-in developer tools. Wrench -> Tools -> Developer tools, or Ctrl+Shift+I.

• KatoKato Registered User regular
    Barrakketh wrote:

Chrome's built-in developer tools. Wrench -> Tools -> Developer tools, or Ctrl+Shift+I.
    Ok...I must not understand the Chrome developer tools because I don't see it updating the page as I change the css or anything like that.

Signature??
    edited February 2012
    Barrakketh wrote:

Ok...I must not understand the Chrome developer tools because I don't see it updating the page as I change the css or anything like that.
    On the elements tab you can add/change/disable CSS rules. There's two panes, the tree of HTML elements on the left and CSS on the right (under Styles). The element.style selector lets you modify (or add) to the style attribute of an element, as opposed to CSS rules in the file you're modifying.

Selecting an element from the tree will let you see all rules that are being applied to that element (and sometimes overridden by other rules).

Barrakketh on
  • silverstringsilverstring Registered User new member
    I switched to Chrome primarily because it works better with the security filters that my employer has in place. Apparently Chrome shares a certificate store with IE, and since IE is the only browser supported by my employer I have many fewer problems than I was having with Firefox (needless to say, I avoid IE as much as possible).

Since switching I've found that I generally prefer Chrome. Although there are lots of extensions available for Chrome (many incorrect statements about that on this thread), I find I need fewer extensions because Chrome has the features I need built in. I use IE Tab Multi for those sites that are still stuck on being IE-only, but I find that I need that extension much less as many sites that didn't work in Firefox work fine in Chrome.

However, I am having a performance problem with Chrome that's really turning into a showstopper. When I have multiple tabs open, the entire browser freezes while any one tab is loading. It's incredibly annoying and really slows down my pace of work. I'm surprised no one else has mentioned this, but it is a documented issue (see http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=31758). I can't go back to Firefox because of the certificate issue, so at this point Chrome is the least bad option. I'm just hoping that Google can fix it, at which point I would happily endorse Chrome over FF.

• NirakoneNirakone Registered User regular
    Dranyth wrote:
    Opera for life!

Hopefully they can survive that long with almost no one using their browser on computers. I've heard their biggest market share is their browser for mobiles anyway.

I started using Opera when it became free. I wish more people used it. I can't recommend it enough though most people I know use Chrome. I guess that's a step up from using an outdated version of IE...

So, slight update to my annoying Chrome problems:

Chrome breaks unicode support in Windows (and everything running through Windows) once you visit a website using Unicode. After visiting one, (Pixiv.net, for example), you can view website just fine, but both the tab text and everything else in Windows with unicode is reduced to useless blocks.

Anyone have any idea what might be causing this? No other browser--Firefox, IE, Opera--seems to have this problem.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Alright, in an effort to give Opera a fair shake, I'm trying it out. I actually really like a lot about it. The interface is so much better than it was the last time I tried it, which I'll attribute to Jon Hicks' turn as interface designer for the Mac version. So far, I haven't found much that I can't do. I'm a little fuzzy on site-specific stylesheets, but I'm guessing it's not that hard to figure out. My biggest complaint is that it scrolls like laggy shit. So much jumpier than Safari or Chrome. That's kind of disappointing. I hope future revisions improve that, but otherwise it's not a terrible experience.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
    Site specific CSS
    Right click on a page on the domain you want a user CSS for, click Edit Site Preferences and go to the Display tab. It's at the bottom with a browse button to find the sheet you want.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    And there it is. Thank you, sir.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
    My biggest problem with Opera is that the entire browser will occasionally just lock up for several seconds. I think it's related to RSS feed and email or something? But I've seen it with completely different profiles on assorted versions of both Linux and Windows ever since Opera 7.5 or so. On the Vista machine I use at work, the entire computer freezes up while it's doing this.

(Chrome also makes the entire machine go slowly, but that's generally when I've got 60+ tabs open and it's hitting swap like there's no tomorrow. :P )