As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[East] Hotel Discussion Thread *Westin Waterfront & Seaport are SOLD OUT*

• JerYnkFanJerYnkFan Registered User regular
    NJ is the same way. You can spit in any direction and hit at least one DD.

• peetsnackpeetsnack Team Green Poké Assist, Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, Head Girl House Hufflepuff The Cleave LandsRegistered User regular
    Is this hotel discussion or Dunkin' Doughnuts discussion? :P

7B14287.png
  • avsfan590avsfan590 Registered User regular
    Booked myself and 3 other people at the Club quarters Hotel has anyone been there?

• ottoman673ottoman673 Registered User regular
    BigRed wrote:
    Moe Fwacky wrote:
    I always thought peoples' reaction to Dunkin Donuts at PAX East was weird... until I moved to the west coast and realized that there are none out here (I grew up with a DD about a quarter-mile away from my house).

There used to be like 5 in the Seattle area. But DD sucked at their franchise policies (costs were based on distance from HQ) and they all ended up going under. Last one closed in 2002. There's very few west of the Mississippi now.

I noticed that here in MI too. I know that in the last six months a couple of the ones near where I work are no longer branded DD.

The ones over here were closed down in this part of MI about a year ago for health safety issues... But we've since obtained a Tim Horton's. Delicious in its own way, but Dunkin is going to be one of my PAX highlights. I almost wish they could set up a food truck at the BCEC..

PAX East 2012 Checklist: [x] 3 Day Pass [x] Time off Work [x] Flight [x] Hotel
  • Proto200XProto200X Registered User new member
    redfield85 wrote:
    Just booked at the Park Plaza. I stayed there last year. It wasn't too bad.

I just booked a room there too. Can you tell us anything about your experience last year? Size of the room, amenities, etc.? Thanks!

• King of MarsKing of Mars A freak among weirdos A city in my mindRegistered User regular
    avsfan590 wrote:
    Booked myself and 3 other people at the Club quarters Hotel has anyone been there?

I stayed at the Shire last year, staying again this year. The rooms are small, but it's clean and quiet, and only a 15-minute walk to BCEC.

Writhe your naked ass to the mindless groove.
    twitter //
    3DS: 2492-5478-6311 // Steam & WiiU: kingofmars2099
  • FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    avsfan590 wrote:

I can't speak for myself but the place came up during last year's hotel discussion. This one guy said he was a regular over there and had no problems with it. Grain of salt applies.

I suggest you google it for reviews. Usually you can access a good bunch of them when looking at the hotel description with google maps.

In fact... let me do that for you.

One thing I can say about it is that the location is next to the place I stayed at last year. It's doable on foot but I would strongly suggest using walking as a plan B, if not plan C. I've talked enough about the walking bit so for that I'll let you do the searching in this thread. Short version : Walking is great on paper, bad in practice.

It's a very nice area in my opinion, loved everything about the Financial district. The place is peppered with nice things to look at. Stores, food, ease of public transportation, etc. There's also the park + old cemetery that's worth a look and it's all within walking distance.

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • JerYnkFanJerYnkFan Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Frugus wrote:
    avsfan590 wrote:

I can't speak for myself but the place came up during last year's hotel discussion. This one guy said he was a regular over there and had no problems with it. Grain of salt applies.

I suggest you google it for reviews. Usually you can access a good bunch of them when looking at the hotel description with google maps.

In fact... let me do that for you.

One thing I can say about it is that the location is next to the place I stayed at last year. It's doable on foot but I would strongly suggest using walking as a plan B, if not plan C. I've talked enough about the walking bit so for that I'll let you do the searching in this thread. Short version : Walking is great on paper, bad in practice.

It's a very nice area in my opinion, loved everything about the Financial district. The place is peppered with nice things to look at. Stores, food, ease of public transportation, etc. There's also the park + old cemetery that's worth a look and it's all within walking distance.

I use www.tripadvisor.com for any hotel room I am thinking about booking to read reviews. I can say overall it's pretty accurate overall.

JerYnkFan on
  • arsonisfunarsonisfun Registered User regular
    avsfan590 wrote:

Club Quarters caters mostly to business travelers - small rooms, but fairly nice/clean.

I am IRCs resident nerdbro and member of the PokeCrawl planning committee.

Red B/Gold Professor

[15:53] <+juju-work> ArsonIsFun is one of the best people I know.
  • cwood154cwood154 Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Hey Everyone,

If you're lazy or a procrastinator like me, you potentially thought "I'll let future "insert your name here" deal with the hotel reservation". Well your future self is now your present self and you still don't have a reservation booked... It's time to make some choices.

I was looking around expedia today and found a promo that still has another 32 hours left on it for the Double Tree;

- $119.47 CDN/Night (40 bucks off)
    - $10.00 Self Parking (In/Out Privileges)
    - 2.4 miles from the convention center, 8-10 minute drive

I'm not sure what the PAX promo was on the Double Tree when their allotment wasn't sold out but this is seriously affordable compared to 90% of the other places I checked out today. I've noticed over the last two cons that the majority of hotels in MA charge an arm and a leg for parking, so I'm glad that not only am I saving $40/night with the promo, I'm not spending all my savings on parking. I stayed at the Sheraton the first year and the Radisson the second, both charged me between $35-$45/day for parking which is difficult for me to stomach. Check out the link below if you want to jump on it.

http://www.expedia.ca/Boston-Hotels-DoubleTree-Club-By-Hilton-Boston-Bayside.h296419.Hotel-Information?chkin=05/04/2012&amp;chkout=08/04/2012&amp;rm1=a2&amp;hwrqCacheKey=b51a4168-ae92-4c4e-87d3-a66e524e4f7dHWRQ&amp;c=d75ad9e4-f786-4d2a-87d6-916fccd0f56d&amp;&amp;hashTag=default&amp;rfrr=-30461

Cheers,
    Cwood154

cwood154 on
  • SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    Keep in mind, if you book via any sort of discount site for a PAX hotel and they over book you are putting yourself at risk of being bumped from the hotel. This has happened to other people.

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
    edited February 2012
    SmallLady wrote:
    Keep in mind, if you book via any sort of discount site for a PAX hotel and they over book you are putting yourself at risk of being bumped from the hotel. This has happened to other people.

This. Seen it happen, felt it happen, and there's nothing worse than having to deal out issues with a third party company that in turn are trying to get that hotel to service you. Not saying it happens every day, but in practice I would at the very least suggest you only go through third parties that you know well and have a good reputation to get things done should the crap hit the fan.

Now here's a trick!

Most (I want to say all) hotels have a better pricing policy and will match any price that you can find online, as long as they have the same room available that is, and that you can access the deal without having to go through certain hoops (don't have to log in, don't have to be a member of something, don't have to bid, etc). Usual rule is that if you can provide a straight up link with the said deal, they will match it. I never seem to be able to explain this correctly, so I'll go with an example.
    • Hotel ABC's web sites shows you what rooms they have and the price they are charging for.
    • Travel web site XYZ shows you the same room for hotel ABC but it's at discount.
    • Most people would call the travel site and book from them. What you can do instead is call the Hotel's booking service and tell them that Travel Site XYZ is showing a better price and you would like to know if they can match it. So now you get to have the deal you wanted without having to go through a third party, plus the third party would have charged you a service fee so chances are you are actually saving more.

Remember, the same type of room has to be available! This is not a hack, it's a basic customer service policy that is emulated by most big Hotel chains and it only failed on me once in the last 5 years I've known this (they said they would not match it but it was under special circumstances, the whole place was booked). And I tend to say that I travel a good deal.

Seeing these types of posts more and more, I'm starting to think that the long winded Hotel booking FAQ I made earlier would not have been such a waste of time.

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • EscoBladesEscoBlades Product Marketing Manager at Ubisoft Registered User regular
    I booked real early at the Seaport, and recently got my visa approved. This will be my first PAX, i'm super excited :D

tHBv9m5.png
    Product Marketing Manager on Watch Dogs: Legion
    Youtube | Twitter
    edited February 2012
    I’ve been itching to write stuff on the forums but things are moving too fast for me to provide any valuable input. Answers are provided as quickly as questions are asked and I find myself unable to provide, add, or help anyone. This guide is a result of pent up frustration, utter boredom at work and accumulated musings from my past experience travelling around this side of the continent.
    The hotel shopping guide for the people who have yet to book anything!

If you’re reading this then you probably missed out on hotels that are closer to the convention. Don’t fret it though because your PAX enjoyment is not based on the relative distance between the event and your place of rest. PAX is a wonderful event on itself. All this talk about being well informed, well prepared and well organized is mostly icing on a very delicious cake. Come to PAX with a positive attitude and you will have a wonderful time (not my own words but I can’t remember who the credit should go to).

There is a silver lining with not being able to be as close as possible. Truth be told, the immediate area around the BCEC is far from being as interesting as the rest of Boston – a beautiful city rich with history and places to check out. It’s generally not a good idea to play tourist while PAX is going on but at least you will enjoy a taste of what the city is like.
    There are now two ways for you to pick your hotel.

OnPeak: There are more pros than cons here. In fact, barely see any cons. Most of these hotels offer a shuttle service between the hotel and the event and that alone is a huge burden off your planning issues. Yes, it also appears that the shuttle runs at all hours of PAX. I admit that I have no experience dealing with the Shuttle service. I do not know if all OnPeak hotels provide it, if there’s an extra charge, what the frequency is and so on. I can tell you this however – such a service alleviates a great deal of organisational issues. No worries about being too tired to walk back to the hotel, no need to worry about using your car (you don’t want to use your car in Boston), no need to worry about public transportation hours (the service does not last until PAX closing time) and no need to worry about Cab fees and availability. There are many other positive points to picking OnPeak but this shuttle service alone is probably the most significant reason why you would choose a hotel from their list.

But as I said there are other good reasons. Their prices have been lowered to competitive levels, you have a lesser risk of getting bumped if they overbook (OnPeak had issues with this last year and made it a priority this time around) and last but not least, you will be staying with other PAXers. You never know how that is going to turn out, but usually it’s for the better.

Taking things into your own hands: Before I say anything, I can’t stress enough that it’s probably not worth the effort. The OnPeak hotels have done much of the work for you. So why would someone go this route? Price is the first thing that comes to mind. The hotel industry is cut throat and there are many ways to save money when booking, and yes, those prices can be better than those offered by OnPeak. Just to name a few, you have membership privileges (such as AAA), club members, accumulated points with special programs, employee discounts (you don’t have to work in the Hotel industry to have them), credit card discounts and just straight up completive pricing will net you a substantial saving on any stay. The rule of thumb is : There’s always a way to pay less than whatever the hotel advertises.

Be careful if you are doing this strictly to save money. Remember that you will still have to factor in your own travel expenses between the hotel and the event. Such expenses may eat up any money you save, so you will have to put in some extra effort to keep such costs down. However if money or travel is no real object, then this is a good way to get more bang for your buck. I stayed at the Nine Zero last year for 135$ a night when they usually start around 280$, complete with evening wine tasting and so on (though I could not care less, I was too busy geeking out).
    • Price Matching: This is my preferred method of saving money on hotels. Most places will match any lower price you can find for their establishment (specific room type / beds apply). The usual catch is that you must provide a straight up link that someone (ie their staff) can click and show that you can book a specific type of room for a lower price. No logins, no bidding, no special club members, etc.

How do you find a better price? You can either check out the popular travel sites individually, but a more effective method is to use search engines that look through multiple travel sites and give you a list of possibilities (such as Kayak.org). Don’t take the deal from the third party – Just call up the hotel booking line, tell them that company XYZ has a better offer and be ready to provide a link. Booking through a third party will incur extra charges and you will have to deal with the said third party should something go awry with your arrangements. This can potentially create a whole mess should you get bumped due to overbooking, something that could potentially happen during a convention weekend where nearly 80,000 people flock to the BCEC.

Often enough you will find other various types of specials that are advertised through travel sites but need to be booked directly with the hotel. A common example is the “pay now in advance, no refunds” deal, which always makes my skin crawl a bit as they tend to come in with lot more strings attached. I’ve used it once, did not have a problem, but I can only wonder what would happen if something would go wrong.
    • If you work for a big company, check with your HR department and see if you have access to preferential rates when booking through a certain hotel chain. Ask permission to use it too, just in case. Many companies have this but never openly advertise it unless you are expected to travel. This is my second favorite method of saving money when booking a hotel, especially when I travel with my geek friends. At least one of us will be able to apply a rebate of some sort by dropping their employer’s name at the counter. Check with the hotel prior to booking as well.
    • If you are a member of AAA you will most probably be able to apply a rebate, though this one tends to be minimal. It’s a last ditch effort to save money.
    • If you have a credit card, call the company and see if youhave a preferred rebate plan or points that you can apply on your next hotel booking. This service is typical of most basic packages but is buried deep in the small print. In many cases if you have a point system, you can redeem them for travel expenses. They may also be able to book you a hotel through a preferential rate.
    • I am not American nor am I in the military, but I understand that people who serve can either get a discount or sleep on nearby bases.
      Edit-
      From ImthebOHGODBEES
      "Having been stationed at the Air Force base nearest Boston, I would just like to caution you all about the bullet point mentioning military members staying on military bases. This statement is a truth-fact, but the Air Force base is at least 30 minutes away from the BCEC in GOOD traffic, and the Coast Guard "base" is really just a couple of buildings, a parking lot, and space for boats. So yes it's feasible, but really not recommended."

Most of these deals cannot be combined, save for the Credit Card tip. If you have the said point system, chances are you can apply that over any one of the above.

Another type of lodging that people tend to overlook are Guest Houses. It’s easier to describe these as something between a hotel and a bed & breakfast. They are privately owned hotels that operate out of smaller buildings that could have just been used for tenants. Two of the more important differences are the limited amount of services and the lack of a full time staff. For instance, they only keep their service desks open during specific business hours. Once you have your key in hand you can come and go at any time you want, but check-in and check-out has to be done while they are open. Miss your window and you are SOL. Still, they are very interesting options to look at because their prices, though non-negotiable, tend to be very competitive, and the establishments tend to be very cozy as well. I’ve seen some that rival the poshest work places I’ve had the pleasure to visit. My favorite Guest House in Boston the Copley Inn in Boston, a last second discovery made by my Fiancé who found an available room three weeks prior to the first PAXEast. It was 135$ a night on the block across from the prior location and it had its own kitchen. I could not help but appreciate how they also had umbrellas (just in case) at the door for everyone. I have a feeling that these places are better suited for the quite types who don’t party all night in their rooms.

Traveling between the hotel and the event is something that needs careful consideration. As I mentioned before if you are picking another hotel strictly because you want to save money but have no transportation options then you are most probably better off picking one of the OnPeak locations that offer shuttle services.
    It does not mean it can’t be done though. I can attest that I managed that last year but it came at the cost of considerable effort and fatigue. I’m lucky enough to stay at the Westin this year but I would have been okay with doing it again as long as I splurged a bit more on the transportation fees.

Things to keep in mind…

I don’t think I just speak for myself when I say that convention trips are not to be approached like tourist trip.

For a convention, especially one as big as PAX where there is more than one can possibly do in an entire weekend, you will want to concentrate your time and energy for the event itself and not much elsewhere. Smart travel is not just about saving money, it’s also about time and effort. This is especially true when you consider how most of your time will be spent standing up and walking around one of the biggest convention centers in North America, where the main show floor and the table top section can each hold a commercial airplane. Then you have the panels, theaters, special gaming rooms, etc…

This is why many veterans are against walking to the con as a main solution for travel. You will be tiring yourself even more, the time usually required will actually be longer and the idea itself of going to and back will feel more like something you want to avoid. There’s also a good chance that you will be carrying things with you, accumulate swag, etc. It’s very easy to end up encumbered at PAX.
    Last but not least, all of this only works if the weather permits.

A word on Walking:

You will spend most of your time at PAX on your feet, and I don’t necessarily mean standing up either. That’s why people constantly talk about bringing both water and a very good pair of shoes. This being said, unless you happen to be very close the the BCEC, walking to the convention should be considered as a plan B more than anything.

The public transportation system is something you need to consider as well. A 7 day pass will cost you 15$ and there is a bus stop and a subway exit very close to the BCEC, so picking a hotel with easy access to a bus stop or a subway entrance is definitely a plus. Obviously you will want to use the directions feature with Google Maps. I also suggest you do this before you book a hotel. Try to do reverse directions and determine what locations seem to be the most commute friendly and provide all the things you are looking for around your ideal hotel choice. I have soft spot for the Financial District myself, it has a good selection of hotels and restaurants with a bus line that runs in the middle and a few train lines peppered around the edges. It’s important to know that the service does not cover the entire hours of PAX, but it’s still a considerable coverage. Make sure you have a plan for the late evening.

Speaking of which, Taxis can be found easily during normal hours but will be hard to get around closing time. My own experience showed about an hour’s wait to get a cab at 2 am outside of the convention center, but the good news is that everything was well organized none the less. Lines were properly setup and ushers were directing groups to the cabs that arrived every minute.
    Hope this helps!

TL;DR: There’s always a way to save money on hotels, always, and you may have access to other rebates that go on top of that. OnPeak did all the work for you, but if you insist, use price matching, check with your company for potential rebates and call your credit card company to see if something can be found to ease your costs. Other possible rebates apply.

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • MasterRokkuMasterRokku Registered User regular
    Frugus wrote:
    A word on Walking:

You will spend most of your time at PAX on your feet, and I don’t necessarily mean standing up either. That’s why people constantly talk about bringing both water and a very good pair of shoes. This being said, unless you happen to be very close the the BCEC, walking to the convention should be considered as a plan B more than anything.

I k now Frugus has said this several times, but it should not be overlooked. He's making a very good point. You will do more walking and standing then you realize, and you'll probably be carrying a backpack, so that will weigh on you too. Take a taxi or a bus or some form of public transportation to and from PAX if you can. Last year my Friday started at 6:30 or 7:00 AM so I could be in line for the keynote and didn't end until after 2:00 AM when the concerts were over and I had eaten and finished hanging out with friends. Nearly the entire day is spent on your feet, a few breaks for table top gaming or line sitting, but mostly on your feet.

Now, every say "Thank you Frugus" for all your posts.

PAX South Status: [x] Room @ The Marriot - [x] 3 day pass - [x] Vacation scheduled
  • ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    Frugus wrote:
    A word on Walking:

I k now Frugus has said this several times, but it should not be overlooked. He's making a very good point. You will do more walking and standing then you realize, and you'll probably be carrying a backpack, so that will weigh on you too. Take a taxi or a bus or some form of public transportation to and from PAX if you can. Last year my Friday started at 6:30 or 7:00 AM so I could be in line for the keynote and didn't end until after 2:00 AM when the concerts were over and I had eaten and finished hanging out with friends. Nearly the entire day is spent on your feet, a few breaks for table top gaming or line sitting, but mostly on your feet.

Even walking from Tabletop Freeplays, up an escalater, down a short hall and crossing the skybridge to the Westin felt like a haul after 14 hours of PAX. I couldn't even begin to imagine having to walk multiple blocks to a hotel.

Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    Chorazin wrote:
    Frugus wrote:
    A word on Walking:

Even walking from Tabletop Freeplays, up an escalater, down a short hall and crossing the skybridge to the Westin felt like a haul after 14 hours of PAX. I couldn't even begin to imagine having to walk multiple blocks to a hotel.

this is especially true if it is your first time at the bcec. walking all the way from one end of that massive place to the other, just to find you are on the wrong floor and you have to go alllllll the way back just to get to the floor you wanted will pretty much crush you, particularly late in the day. the maps are kind of confusing and the place is immense. prepare to spend some time wandering/being lost.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • EscoBladesEscoBlades Product Marketing Manager at Ubisoft Registered User regular
    I've been studying Google Maps to try and see how far (realistically) i'd be walking between the Seaport and the BCEC each day. Based on what some of you have said recently in the thread though, i'm prepared to get a taxi to and from if need be, haha!

tHBv9m5.png
    Youtube | Twitter
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    The seaport is pretty damned close. So is the renaissance. Probably dont need transportation for those.... Others though I would suggest it.

• LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    EscoBlades wrote:
    I've been studying Google Maps to try and see how far (realistically) i'd be walking between the Seaport and the BCEC each day. Based on what some of you have said recently in the thread though, i'm prepared to get a taxi to and from if need be, haha!
    zerzhul wrote:
    The seaport is pretty damned close. So is the renaissance. Probably dont need transportation for those.... Others though I would suggest it.

Yeah, the Seaport is 1 city block away. Don't get a cab. A wheelchair would probably be better. I'm only half joking - we stayed at the Westin last year, attached to the convention center, and being footsore was awful, even that close.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • DanUNGDanUNG Registered User regular
    EscoBlades wrote:

The Seaport is a 30-second walk from the center. Seriously. Perhaps you're looking at the wrong building? There are multiple "Seaport" buildings on Seaport Boulevard -- it confused myself and another PAXer after we got off the train!

Thanks for all the nice responses. I see that the guide got voted as one of the awesome posts on the general forums too! I don't know what to say other than, thanks again, and I'm happy to see it may have helped a few people out there.

A word on Google Maps - Though it's usually accurate, it does not take fatigue into account. It's one thing to look at the estimated travel time, but chances are that PAX will have worn you out and you won't keep up with what is considered a normal pace. Plus what other people have said. You will be carrying stuff, etc. Indeed, the BCEC itself is so big that walking around between different sections can tire you out.

One last thing that could drive the nail in the "walking to the hotel" coffin - what happens if the weather's crappy?

I do agree however that it's not worth worrying if you are staying at the Seaport or that other hotel that is within 10 minutes. One has to draw the line somewhere :) It think that is a reasonable effort.

Last year I mostly walked to and fro between the convention and the Financial district. It damn near destroyed us (though PAX is worth a little bit of wear and tear). That being said, walking to the convention center in the morning was a pleasure. You're at your best, it helps you wake up, plus you get to see a little more of Boston. etc.

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • chocojoshchocojosh Registered User regular
    I'm staying a bit further away, because I simply couldn't resist a price tag of $159 / night for a room of four. I was thinking that the money saved would be worth $20 in taxi (or maybe a shuttle + a 15 minute walk).

Courtyard Boston-South Boston
    63 R Boston Street

Anyone else staying around this area?

edited February 2012
    chocojosh wrote:
    I'm staying a bit further away, because I simply couldn't resist a price tag of $159 / night for a room of four. I was thinking that the money saved would be worth $20 in taxi (or maybe a shuttle + a 15 minute walk).

63 R Boston Street

Am I correct to say that this is not the same Courtyard that is part of the OnPeak service?

If it's the one I think it is, it looks like you have an easy commute with the public transport system. It's only 15$ for 7 days. You would have about 8 minutes to walk from your hotel to the bus stop and the entire trip takes about 30 minutes.

The only issue I can think of is that public transportation closes before PAX does. You would have to grab a cab if you stay late. If you stay up to closing time, expect to wait before you can get one.

If you actually share a cab with all of your friends then the price may be negligible. Depends on how the driver takes you back and forth.

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    Frugus wrote:
    chocojosh wrote:

63 R Boston Street

Am I correct to say that this is not the same Courtyard that is part of the OnPeak service?

If it's the one I think it is, it looks like you have an easy commute with the public transport system. It's only 15$ for 7 days. You would have about 8 minutes to walk from your hotel to the bus stop and the entire trip takes about 30 minutes.

The only issue I can think of is that public transportation closes before PAX does. You would have to grab a cab if you stay late. If you stay up to closing time, expect to wait before you can get one.

If you actually share a cab with all of your friends then the price may be negligible. Depends on how the driver takes you back and forth.

i don't want to be that guy, but it should be noted that the neighborhood you are staying in can potentially be a bit rough, and some of the nearby bus routes go through areas that are even worse. i would recommend just shelling out the cash for a cab, particularly for returning in the evening.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • KoalaBro2KoalaBro2 Registered User regular
    As we get closer to PAX and all the "good" hotels are taken, I thought I'd share what I did last year (which was a last minute booking, 1 week before PAX). I stayed at the Boston Marriott Cambridge (Two Cambridge Center, 50 Broadway, Cambridge, MA), which is on the MIT campus. It's a little ways away, however it is literally right across the street from the Kendall/MIT Red Line station. As a result, getting to the convention center in the morning was highly efficient. They actually hold the Silver Line to make a connection with the Red Line, so any of you who might be concerned about how long it will take to make the transfer needn't worry.

The biggest downside is that getting home after a 2 AM concert is a pain in the ass. Public transit in Boston, for reasons unknown, stops running about 12:30. So as a result, you'll be stuck taking a cab. Now, it's not the end of the world, the cab line moved quite efficiently last year. However, I would suggest slipping out once the encores start, as missing the last 1-2 songs will probably mean the difference between 20 minutes in the cab line and an hour.

I'm not specifically recommending the Marriott (though I did think it was nice, and actually got upgraded to a room with a nicer view because mine wasn't ready when I checked in), but that's definitely the sort of thing to look for in choosing a not-prime hotel. Find one that's on the Red Line, and you'll save yourself both time and money in the morning versus taking cabs both ways.

KoalaBro2 makes a very good point here. It may be nice to be close to the event but it does not mean you are out of options. Far from it. One would argue that the late night ride back could be a problem, but keep in mind it's an issue (a soft one at that) which everyone shares. You CAN still get a cab, or you could use your car, etc. As for normal day time travel, the public transportation system does a nice job. Again remember it's only 15$ for a 7 day pass.

There are some good options in Cambridge. Been there myself for a Hockey game trip and I loved the area, plus you get to hang out in a nice part of the Boston area (read - touristy).

Remember - Your hotel location will not dictate how much fun PAX is. Being well prepared is just icing on the cake.

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • vttymvttym Ardent Gamer Northern NJRegistered User regular
    If it's the same setup as last year, shuttles are free for the hotels that are supported by them (I would guess any of the OnPeak ones would be, but don't quote me on it). I never had a problem with the shuttle to/from the Colonnade last year; I did hear some people gripe about them on the floor, but I found that they ran often enough during peak times. They won't run all hours (or at least, didn't last year), so if you plan on doing late night stuff, or want to go to places other than the BCEC, you'll need to work out alternate transportation. But if you're going between 8am and 11pm back and forth, you'll be fine.

And did I mention it was free?

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I posted last year's shuttle schedule somewhere either in this thread or in the FAQ thread. It ran until 2:30 am on friday and saturday nights.

• MrArcysMrArcys Cincinnati, OHRegistered User regular
    Here's a Google Map of all the OnPeak hotels with distances/walking times: http://g.co/maps/adn39

PAX East 2013: [ ] Badge // [X] Hotel // [ ] Travel // [ ] Time Off
    Twitter: @MrArcys
  • adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    oops Dup Post.

adias.angel on
    Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    MrArcys wrote:
    Here's a Google Map of all the OnPeak hotels with distances/walking times: http://g.co/maps/adn39

That is great! Thanks! Now all I need is a Flying Pokémon

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • VictoryofthepplVictoryoftheppl Community Outreach Coordinator @ Gamers Outreach Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    agq wrote:
    we decided to book at the omni parker house place thingy... lol. its a short walking distance from the event and looked like it had pretty good reviews. Looked like a gorgeous setup too.

by short walking distance, you mean 30 minutes...right >.> (stayed there last year, it's like a 10 minute cab drive).

Edit: Oh beware of the cab drivers that want to take you on the scenic route. Generally the cab ride to and from the Omni Parker Hotel was like $10-$13 dollars. Took a ride with one cab, $25 bucks! Thankfully, I'm not dumb and refused to pay that amount. This was like the last day and by then, I knew the general route the cabs took. Guy took me under a bridge, over the river, and through the woods. I obviously called his bluff because he didn't even fight it, he just said ok and let me go.

Victoryoftheppl on
    MEfw2yy.png

Team [E] <3
  • CyberGoldFishCyberGoldFish Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    This is my first Pax and I was wondering how is the Seaport in terms of social outings, parties, events. Me and some friends are going to be staying at the Seaport and would like to hang out with some cool people.

CyberGoldFish on
  • VictoryofthepplVictoryoftheppl Community Outreach Coordinator @ Gamers Outreach Registered User regular
    This is my first Pax and I was wondering how is the Seaport in terms of social outings, parties, events. Me and some friends are going to be staying at the Seaport and would like to hang out with some cool people.

Im cool!

MEfw2yy.png

Team [E] <3
  • MrArcysMrArcys Cincinnati, OHRegistered User regular

You will find cool people all over PAX! In addition to the community events organized here on the forums, you can follow one of the many Twitter accounts or lists that many a last minute hoedown, shindig, and/or hoot-nanny.

Or you can make some friends on the expo floor and go find a bar!

PAX East 2013: [ ] Badge // [X] Hotel // [ ] Travel // [ ] Time Off
    Twitter: @MrArcys

Im cool!

I can vouch for her, haha. I too am cool...i think ;)

tHBv9m5.png
    Youtube | Twitter
  • ottoman673ottoman673 Registered User regular
    EscoBlades wrote:

Im cool!

We're all rather cool!

PAX East 2012 Checklist: [x] 3 Day Pass [x] Time off Work [x] Flight [x] Hotel
    EscoBlades wrote:

Im cool!

I will vouch for him too! <3 Overall, I know there are a lot of people I know staying at the Seaport, so you will be bound to bump into someone. Also, there wre going to be a lot of meet ups in lobbies and what not, just don't be shy and talk to them. I remember the first PAX East and I was staying at the Boston Copley and I went to another hotel. Sat down and they took me in and we played card and board games for over 3 or 4 hours. Awesome night :D

MEfw2yy.png

Team [E] <3
  • arsonisfunarsonisfun Registered User regular
    tvethiopia wrote:
    Frugus wrote:
    chocojosh wrote:

63 R Boston Street

i don't want to be that guy, but it should be noted that the neighborhood you are staying in can potentially be a bit rough, and some of the nearby bus routes go through areas that are even worse. i would recommend just shelling out the cash for a cab, particularly for returning in the evening.

I was going to come here and say the same thing - That part of Boston isn't the best to be wandering around in after dark. Take a cab home, though taking the train in during the morning should be ok.

I am IRCs resident nerdbro and member of the PokeCrawl planning committee.

Red B/Gold Professor

[15:53] <+juju-work> ArsonIsFun is one of the best people I know.