As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Last Story: Out now in the other part of the world! The packaging is class!

ChenChen Registered User regular
edited August 2012 in Games and Technology
gblwiilaststory.jpg

988055187216front.jpg

thelaststory20100427080.jpg

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/NOE/en_GB/games/wii/the_last_story_45545.html#home

"The Last Story is a JRPG for the Wii console from Hironobu Sakaguchi that lets you take charge of a band of mercenaries and journey with them into a sprawling cinematic adventure. Enjoy the adventure alone in this epic Wii game or jump into online multiplayer modes with up to five other players."

(Trailers contain slight spoilers.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLNu2D2qnt0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PARTewm44M

Q&A
Q: Looks great! When can I get my hands on it?
A: February 24th. That's a Friday.

Q: Now wait just a doggone minute. This ain't how we do things round these parts. Are y'all mistaken?
A: February 24th is the European release date. Unfortunately, as of this moment, no decision has been made to release it in North America. Apparently, February 23rd is the Australian release date. Lucky you!

Q: Bummer. What now?
A: You can wait until NoA decides to bring it over, like they eventually did with Xenoblade Chronicles, or you can import and use one of those fancy homebrews. I hear Amazon.de ships to NA.

Q: Does it use motion controls?
A: None at all. You can play it with the Classic Controller or the Remote + Nunchuck.

Q: There's multiplayer?
A: Yep, you can either play Death Match or Co-Op in the battle arenas using the Internet.

Q: I hear it has a limited edition. What does it have that the normal edition doesn't have?
A: The limited edition has a steelbook case, a soundtrack CD containing 7 tracks and a small art book. No red Classic Controller Pro unfortunately.

Q: Does it have a Japanese language option?
A: No. As far as I know, the game's disc is single-layered. And, apparently, they lip-synced the English voices in cutscenes.

Q: Anything else I need to know?
A: Like Xenoblade, it isn't your standard JRPG, but unlike Xenoblade, it doesn't have MMORPG environments and freedom. People compare it to Mass Effect as they both have cover systems and are quite linear in terms of areas. Oh, and like most Mistwalker games, Nobuo Uematsu composed the soundtrack. Also, you can shoot and subsequently slip on bananas. No joke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRv9NKcz-1A

V0Gug2h.png
Chen on

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Maybe I'll buy this one sooner than I did Xenoblade so it can be announced to be coming out in NA earlier.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Got it pre-ordered with the artbook/sounndtrack gubbins, absolutely loved Lost Odyssey so can't wait.

I also recently picked up Xenoblade.

SSX and ME3 are also coming up. Pretty sure I can live on 4 hours of sleep.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Gears of Swords, boosh.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Maybe I'll buy this one sooner than I did Xenoblade so it can be announced to be coming out in NA earlier.

yes that would be nice

Magic Pink on
  • RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    It's going to be Xenoblade all over again.

As in we are going to pester NOA about it to bring it over here.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
    I will give basically any RPG where you can dress them up a chance, it's my one weakness.

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Waaaaait.

Linear levels and limited freedom in my RPG?

No thank you.

• KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    Dat cover system in a JRPG.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Riokenn wrote:

How well did Xenoblade do in the US anyway?

Because if it didn't do well, I really doubt you'll see this one.

Riokenn wrote:

I'll tell you in two months when it comes out.

• ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    It's not out yet.

We'll get all three Operation Rainfall games just after NA gets Xenoblade. Pandora's Tower is going to get released on April 13th.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    Riokenn wrote:

You will need to ask that again when the game is released.

Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
    I will give basically any RPG where you can dress them up a chance, it's my one weakness.

You can even pick the colours for your clothes/armour. They're gonna be so pretty.

Well, actually, they're probably all gonna be red/black because I have unoriginal tastes, but still.

That said I'll probably have this game by Monday after release! Can't wait to think its not as good as Xenoblade!

They can't all be jokers.

V0Gug2h.png
    I see your strength is the genuine article!

• KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    HAHA YOU CRACK ME UP, BORE!

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    I also like that TLS basically has female Reyn.

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    This is Sakaguchi's version of fantasy Gears of War with RPG mechanics, story, and town hub.
    I'm looking forward to importing it.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    How did this game do in Japanese reviews?

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    ok fine I'm importing geez

DaemonSadi wrote:
    How did this game do in Japanese reviews?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Story#Reception

V0Gug2h.png
    The people who liked it really liked it, but I'd say overall the reception wasn't quite as nice as Xenoblade's.

I've heard really good things about the online though.

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    I'm curious why the title says it is Mistwalkers "swan song". I haven't heard anything about this being their last game or them going out of business or anything like that.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    I'm curious why the title says it is Mistwalkers "swan song". I haven't heard anything about this being their last game or them going out of business or anything like that.

Wikipedia says
    There was some confusion on the Mistwalker official blog that Sakaguchi may retire after this game.[14] However, this was a translation error as Sakaguchi meant he was working on it as though he was working on his last game.[15]

edited February 2012
    After Final Fantasy, I always assumed that's how he approached every game he made.
    EDIT: So, in summary, the title is misleading. Mistwalker and Sakaguchi aren't going anywhere.

The Dude With Herpes on

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    He also tested the game himself, compiling bug reports and all that and making sure they were fixed, being very serious about the QA of the game.

edited February 2012
    That's why I added the Final Fantasy bit, which was supposed to be Square's swan song, but it ended up being hugely succesful. So, in summary, if The Last Story does well commercially, Sakaguchi may get more support from Nintendo or whoever's willing to finance his next project, which is still unknown to my knowledge. It's not like Microsoft will continue moneyhatting Mistwalker after the abysmal sales of Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey in Japan.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
    Yeah but that wasn't necessarily Mistwalkers fault. They can't help that 14 people have a 360 in Japan.

I think both did fairly well in the west though, so there's that.

But, who knows, maybe this partnership with Nintendo will pan out well for them and we'll see more interesting stuff like an actual sequel to Blue Dragon (not that DS stuff).

• ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    I may have posted this video before, but here's a video review by some fellow who played an import copy way back when it first came out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OFCpharn-w

He's also drawing those very same parallels to FF, and apparently he liked the game.

What's puzzling me to no end however is the Multiplayer modes. I don't think it's a bad idea at all and it seems like people who played it enjoyed it, I'm just confused as to why it's there.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
    Hmm. Looking on the official (Dutch) site, I notice that you can 'hide' whatever parts of your armour you like without losing their statistical benefits (and not just the helmet as in certain WRPG's). All for the sake of dressing up your characters almost exactly the way you want.

This pleases me.

• ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    Hmm. Looking on the official (Dutch) site, I notice that you can 'hide' whatever parts of your armour you like without losing their statistical benefits (and not just the helmet as in certain WRPG's). All for the sake of dressing up your characters almost exactly the way you want.

This pleases me.

Goddamn does that sound useful.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular

This pleases me.

Every RPG needs this. I hate when I get something statistically better but less cool looking. In Kingdoms of Amalur it took me half the game to replace the House of Ballads shield because it looked so awesome.

• GyralGyral Registered User regular
    Totally just pre-ordered this. I figure since my Wii is already set up for imports, I might as well get more use out of it than just for Xenoblade.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I think I just ripped my wallet in half while tearing my credit card out of it.

This. This I need.

Apparently game.co.uk will deliver to the US? Seems It'll run you about 54$ish total with shipping and such. That's actually not a bad deal.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular

You and me, XoB, we're like this.

• Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Wii?

God damn it, does that mean I have to dig that out and blow off the 9 inches of dust that accumulated on it?

• ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Wii?

God damn it, does that mean I have to dig that out and blow off the 9 inches of dust that accumulated on it?

Any time someone uses this kind of hyperbole, I envision them living in a house built on top of an ancient tomb that has become their closet.

Wii?

Why is it dusty? Shouldn't you have been playing Xenoblade?

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Sporky, hurry and buy this so it can be announced. :P

I cannot wait for Xenoblade and already have it preordered. My preorder better single handedly get them to release this in the US.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!