As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Flappy Paddle is the one true shifter. [Car] Thread.

• MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote:
    Knight_ wrote:
    I really like the Mazda 3, but I just don't fit in it at all. My head becomes one with the roof.

Maybe the Focus is out too then. They're based on the same platform.

Nope, fit in the Focus. Dunno what Mazda has done with the roofline/seats, but it just doesn't work.

Did you remember to put the seat in the Mazda down to the floor? Sometimes people don't realize the seats go up and down.

• SliderSlider Registered User regular
    Slider wrote:
    I just moved to Arizona and am looking for a new ride, but the Phoenix area isn't offering me shit. I might have to drive over to San Diego.

If I can't find a decent Mazdaspeed3 or Infiniti G35, then I'll just buy a Suzuki GSXR.

Bwah? Fast-ish car that is kind of luxury, luxury car that is kind of fast, or death rocket.

That seems like a pretty eclectic set of options.

It's crazy how many people down here drive new Chevy Camaros. It's almost like they're all Republicans.

Anyway, I took a 2012 Mazdaspeed3 for a test drive today. It's ugly as hell, but drove well, especially when the road got rough. Nice and quick, too.

• CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    Knight_ wrote:
    Knight_ wrote:
    I really like the Mazda 3, but I just don't fit in it at all. My head becomes one with the roof.

Nope, fit in the Focus. Dunno what Mazda has done with the roofline/seats, but it just doesn't work.

Did you remember to put the seat in the Mazda down to the floor? Sometimes people don't realize the seats go up and down.

I know it is a bit radical but you could also replace the stock seat with some Recaro seat.

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • The Raging PlatypusThe Raging Platypus Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote:
    Knight_ wrote:

I know it is a bit radical but you could also replace the stock seat with some Recaro seat.

Also, the sunroof definitely cuts into the headroom quite a bit. Unfortunately, it's hard to get a new Mazda 3 (at least with the Skyactiv versions) without the sunroof if you're looking to upgrade to higher trims. The option packages are hella more restrictive than the ones for the Ford Focus.

Quid wrote: »
    YOU'RE A GOD DAMN PLATYPUS.
    PSN Name: MusingPlatypus
    What do you think of Mustangs?

http://www.ccjabersauto.com/inventory/view/4976333/2005-Ford-Mustang#

Any idea how many horses the Roush V8 puts out?

• KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Depends on the stage. Could be same as stock if all they got was body and suspension, could be upwards of 400 horse if they went all out.

Krieghund on
  • iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    No blower and no intake leads me to believe that it's a stocker, just the Roush cosmetics. I'd try for a 2010, first year with the upgraded interior and as the last year with the older engine can normally be had for cheaper as you everybody wanted the new engines that came out in '11.

edited January 2012
    I think the stock V8 still gets about 275 - 280 brake horsepower. Correct?

I'm simply trying to get the most bang for my buck.

Slider on
  • kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote:
    Knight_ wrote:

Same I fit fine in the focus and all the other cars I was trying but I cannot fit in the mazda three no head room no leg room and the seat goes back about half as far as it would need to.

edited January 2012
    Slider wrote:
    I think the stock V8 still gets about 275 - 280 brake horsepower. Correct?

I'm simply trying to get the most bang for my buck.

Eh I'm not a fan of the high power cars with no turning ability.

If you are looking for biggest bang for your buck in terms of horse power that is almost always going to be buying a used car and throwing a turbo/supercharger on it. Of course this takes more time and isn't as reliable as a stock car with higher hp. If you just want stock hp the mustang is pretty good deal. Just remember the GT is a little tubby at 3500lbs.

2005 v6 is 210hp/240tq
    v8 is 300hp/320tq

CommunistCow on
  • Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    The NSX is coming back? Interesting. I saw the end of that commercial coming a mile away though.

• L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    It's been coming back for a while now.
    They've been using it for the new Iron Man or Avengers movie or something for a while, as Tony Stark's car. Car enthusiasts everywhere have been complaining because they've taken the whole concept of the NSX out back and done to it what was done to Ol' Yeller.

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    They've been using it for the new Iron Man or Avengers movie or something for a while, as Tony Stark's car. Car enthusiasts everywhere have been complaining because they've taken the whole concept of the NSX out back and done to it what was done to Ol' Yeller.

It looks like a horrible cross between an R8 and a Camaro.

nibXTE7.png
  • Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    Yea, I was reading some random articles about hybrid-ness and AWD. Is there just a fucking list of specs? I can't find one. It's a shame though.

And I thought he's been driving two different R8s? Or do you mean the movies that aren't out yet?

The new movies that aren't out yet.
    In those, he's driving a new NSX.

• gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Slider wrote:
    What do you think of Mustangs?

http://www.ccjabersauto.com/inventory/view/4976333/2005-Ford-Mustang#

Any idea how many horses the Roush V8 puts out?

I bought a 2012 V6 basic about a month ago. Mustangs got a new engine in 2011 with 305 HP that gets 31 highway mpg though the computer said I got 33.8 MPG on a drive from Bakersfield, CA to Huntington Beach, CA (some ~150 miles).

When I was looking around I saw used 2011 V6 basics for around $19k I think. Though the basic trim is, well, basic. No auto dim mirror, no SYNC, no sat radio installed, no power seats, lots of plastic. Though, most of the V6 premium trim options are standard on the GT I think so that may be something to look at also.

gorillaSig.jpg
  • giltanisgiltanis Registered User regular
    Someone told me that cars with turbos cost more to maintain than those without? Is this truth or myth and if truth why?

sig.gif
    Myth.
    Unless you're an idiot.
    The most "maintenance" you have to do is let the car idle for 30 seconds before you get out of it. That's it. It takes nothing else. Supposedly Subaru had it figured out around 2006 and have put in their driver's manuals that the WRX STis do not need to idle and you can simply shut the car off.

It's not called forced induction for nothing. without going into specifics, it's just that much more wear and stuff to break.

• MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    Complete myth.

The last two cars I have had have both been Turbo.

My 04 VW Beetle which was chipped, with intake and exhaust. I put 70k miles on it in 3 years with 0 issues related to the turbo or engine.
    My 10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe, has 40k miles on it in 2 years and has not had a single issues at all.

Never mind all my friends with turbo GTIs, Jettas, Passats, etc etc that have never had any issues with the turbos or engines.

As long as you do normal preventive maintenance, ESPECIALLY changing the oil, you really won't have any more issues with a turbo car than with a normal car.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    I had an 87 Volvo 760 Turbo that lasted until about my junior/senior year of high school (so like 17-18 years?), from what I remember there werent any issues that cropped up because of the turbo (although the turbo did kill the engine - wastegate was rotted through or something and too much boost blew the engine; but the car had been sedentary for 6+ months so it was really a we didnt take proper care of the car thing more than the turbos are bad thing).

• giltanisgiltanis Registered User regular
    Thanks guys I had a feeling that was the answer.

sig.gif
  • saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    All anecdotes aside, and all other things being equal, turbo = more complicated, more moving parts, more stress on parts. So theoretically a non-turbo car should last longer than a turbo. Once you throw in build quality, maintenance, driving style and all other factors we get back to anecdotes. Just take care of your car and don't drive it like a rental.

XBL: heavenkils
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    So Ive heard your car is at peak efficiency fuel consumption wise at 30% of your engine's redline, is that true? If so that puts my Civic at peak efficiency at around 2100rpm which would be at about 50mph...

• The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    A turbocharger is a surprisingly simple piece of kit.

2 enclosed fans, one being spun by the exhaust which cranks the other fan to push air in to the engine.

Keep those bearings pretty and you'll have years of fun

Turbos aren't just for high performance now, though a high performance turbo can really mess with a car. Many new cars just use them to regulate air intake to provide maximum efficiency, and are nothing to worry about.

The Black Hunter on
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Turbocharger are such a good thing. I really wish Ford hurries up and start sticking that Ecoboost into EVERYTHING!

• iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    emp123 wrote:
    So Ive heard your car is at peak efficiency fuel consumption wise at 30% of your engine's redline, is that true? If so that puts my Civic at peak efficiency at around 2100rpm which would be at about 50mph...

It's more about gearing than anything else. Your car burns less gas at lower rpm's, so the final gear of your transmission is most important for highway mpg. Fifty mph might be the sweet spot for your civic, while in my jetta it's around 60-65.

It's also about air resistance. Unless you're driving a supercar shaped like a wedge for the best aerodynamics, your car will start to feel it between 50 and 55 MPH. At that speed, the wind resistance is greater than the friction, and it does something like doubles for every 5 MPH faster you go than that.

• kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote:
    Knight_ wrote:

I tried every manipulation of the mazda 3 seats as well I am 6'3 and I do not fit at all in them. Of all the cars I tested it was the only one that was simply to small and to cramped for me to even test drive.

• LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Where would I be able to find reliable numbers for expected gas mileage for my 2005 Mustang?

[Edit]
    I mean, expected current mileage, assuming normal wear and tear and use, etc. I know use varies and that's likely to change the numbers, but I'm just looking for a ballpark (or a few to compare) to see how things should be going.

LaOs on
    Anyone catch last night Top Gear US? The part with the BOSS sliding around that turn was just fantastic.

• The Raging PlatypusThe Raging Platypus Registered User regular
    kaid wrote:
    Knight_ wrote:
    Knight_ wrote:

I tried every manipulation of the mazda 3 seats as well I am 6'3 and I do not fit at all in them. Of all the cars I tested it was the only one that was simply to small and to cramped for me to even test drive.

That's too bad, man. I've been driving my new Mazda 3 hatch for a few weeks now, and MAN do I love this car.

Quid wrote: »
    YOU'RE A GOD DAMN PLATYPUS.
    PSN Name: MusingPlatypus
  • BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    kaid wrote:
    Knight_ wrote:
    Knight_ wrote:

That's too bad, man. I've been driving my new Mazda 3 hatch for a few weeks now, and MAN do I love this car.

Yeah, my car search just settled on that one.

Sometimes jalopnick provides useful things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVZ1XJffjMM#!

• TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Turbocharger are such a good thing. I really wish Ford hurries up and start sticking that Ecoboost into EVERYTHING!

I was hoping the same thing when GM was starting to push the turbocharged ecotecs.

I'd like to see more forced induction on cars, especially turbos, but blowers are pretty cheap and simple too. I would love an update to the old supercharged mr2 that isn't as ugly as the second gen.

I'd also do bad things for the delta in the beginning of that video.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth

Generic rally videos? Aren't these sorts of things readily available by searching on youtube?

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    So is Toyota serious with these Camry tail lights

Because god damn am I already tired of them

Generic rally videos? Aren't these sorts of things readily available by searching on youtube?

Always with the hate!
    zoidberg.jpg

• ZeroczZerocz Space Cowboy In SpaceRegistered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    So is Toyota serious with these Camry tail lights

Because god damn am I already tired of them

So I went to toyota's site to see what's up with the tail lights.
    An hour later, I've finally torn myself away from car sites, and now I want to go for a drive.

Dammit Desc, I just got home!

• SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    So, does anyone here have any experience with the ecoboost F150? I have been looking to purchase a truck ever since someone murdered my poor Wrangler. I have to go on mine sites so my STi isn't cutting it for that. And I really do not want to rent a truck every time I have to do field work. Mostly interested in the fuel mileage the ecoboost provides, and I won't be doing much towing, but I want the option just in case.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA