As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Texas Loses All Its Medicaid Money (for Women) Due to Its [War on Women]

SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaverThat beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
edited March 2012 in Debate and/or Discourse
Some sort of bug has recently crawled up national Republicans asses. That bug? The vagina.

Apparently the GOP, in their infinite wisdom, has decided that the way to win back an increasingly turned-off to their shenanigans electorate is to start sticking their hands, feet, heads, ears, nose, eyes, toes into women's vaginas.

In the past week, we have had the GOP (along with Catholic bishops) freaking out about contraception as if we had suddenly returned to 1950
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0212/72833.html
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-3460_162-57376154/mcconnell-contraceptive-issue-will-not-go-away/
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/13/obama-birth-control-rule-homeless-veterans_n_1274120.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhwzGs1MbAc

Not content enough with simply putting out press releases and appearing on Fox News to talk about how contraceptive use will destroy our nation, The Great Investigator Darrell Issa is holding a meeting today to discuss contraceptive use. How many women has he invited to this hearing? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Okay, well, what about people who support the use of contraceptives and the new regulation? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Oh man you're killing me here!
The lead witness is the Most Reverend William E. Lori, Roman Catholic Bishop of Bridgeport, Connecticut, and chair of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops’ Ad Hoc Committee on Religious Liberty. Judging from Lori and the rest of the witness list, it’s obvious that Issa has posed what he considers to be a rhetorical question and lined up nine like-minded rhetoricians to answer it anyway. None of the religious groups supportive of the Obama administration will be heard from.

Eight out of nine of Issa’s witnesses are Orthodox Christian, Catholic, and evangelical, and represent Christian institutions, one of which, Belmont Abbey College, has sued HHS over the contraception requirement.

Not only did he not invite any women, but he specifically barred women from appearing
When my staff inquired about requesting minority witnesses for this hearing, we were informed that you would allow only one. Based on your decision, we requested as our minority witness a third-year Georgetown University Law Center student named Sandra Fluke. I believed it was critical to have at least one woman at the witness table who could discuss the repercussions that denying coverage for contraceptives has on women across this country.
In response, your staff relayed that you had decided as follows:

“As the hearing is not about reproductive rights and contraception but instead about the Administration’s actions as they relate to freedom of religion and conscience, he believes that Ms. Fluke is not an appropriate witness.” [...]

Instead of inviting Ms. Fluke to testify, your staff informed us that you planned to invite a different witness who was no longer available after being informed of your decision to limit the minority to a single witness. Compounding this insult, this afternoon you added two more witnesses of your own, in violation of Committee rules requiring three days notice for witnesses called by the majority.

Phew, all this anti-women nonsense is pretty exhausting, but at least we're almost done, right? Oh you silly, child you. Of course we're not!

Just yesterday, the Virginia state congress decided that simply making regular ultrasounds necessary before performing an abortion (as other states have done) wasn't enough. NOT NEARLY! Oh no! Virginia will now physically probe your vagina before allowing you to have an abortion.
The ultrasound legislation would constitute an unprecedented government mandate to insert vaginal ultrasonic probes into women as part of a state-ordered effort to dissuade them from terminating pregnancies, legislative opponents noted.

"We're talking about inside a woman's body," Del. Charnielle Herring, a Democrat, said in an emotional floor speech. "This is the first time, if we pass this bill, that we will be dictating a medical procedure to a physician."

The conservative Family Foundation hailed the ultrasound measure as an "update" to the state's existing informed consent laws "with the most advanced medical technology available."
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/va-house-gop-muscles-abortion-curbs-15603949#.TzvPaM1lxhJ

And of course, let's not forget the Susan G. Komen Foundation's decision to cut off funding to Planned Parenthood due to PP's ridiculously, absurdly, ludicrously high rate of 3% of all services rendered being abortions. 3%! That's three whole times as many as 1%!

And now, finally, we are done. For now, at least. The GOP has decided an all out war on women is what will surely get them to win Congress and the White House back this year. In 2012. The year two thousand and twelve. The current year. Second millenium and twelve years. The 21st century. Putting women back in their places.

LxX6eco.jpg
PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
SyphonBlue on

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Oh wait! How could I forget!

Republicans are also blaming women in the military for being raped
    "We have women once more, the feminist, wanting to be warriors and victims at the same time. [...] But while all of this is going on, just a few weeks ago, Defense Secretary Leon Panetta commented on a new Pentagon report on sexual abuse in the military. I think they have actually discovered there is a difference between men and women. And the sexual abuse report says that there has been, since 2006, a 64% increase in violent sexual assaults. Now, what did they expect? These people are in close contact."

"And the feminists have also directed them, really, to spend a lot of money. They have sexual counselors all over the place, victims' advocates, sexual response coordinators."

"So, you have this whole bureaucracy upon bureaucracy being built up with all kinds of levels of people to support women in the military who are now being raped too much."

And leading Republican Presidential nominee saying women shouldn't be allowed to be in the military because of...feelings
    Republican presidential candidate Rick Santorum expressed skepticism on Thursday about a recent decision by the Pentagon to open up more military roles for women on the front lines, suggesting their "emotions" could create a "compromising situation" if they were thrown into combat.

Asked by CNN's John King if the move, "perhaps opening the door to a broader role for women in combat," was an idea he'd support as president, Santorum responded:

"I want to create every opportunity for women to be able to serve this country, and they do so in an amazing and wonderful way and they're a great addition -- and they have been for a long time -- to the armed services of our country."

Then came the big "but."

"But I do have concerns about women in front-line combat, I think that could be a very compromising situation, where people naturally may do things that may not be in the interest of the mission, because of other types of emotions that are involved," Santorum continued. "It already happens, of course, with the camaraderie of men in combat, but I think it would be even more unique if women were in combat, and I think that's probably not in the best interest of men, women or the mission."

Okay now I'm done.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    What sensationalism?

LxX6eco.jpg
  • BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Sensationalism, ho!

(Am I doing it right?)

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Anid MaroAnid Maro Registered User regular
    To be fair to Republicans about the "raped too much" interview, the poor sod on the other end looked as if he wished to be anywhere else. As she yammered on his eyes bugged out, probably wondering "Why? Why me?".

She was pretty insane, by any standard.

• SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    Yeah that was the look of a man who knew that he was about to be included in a segment on the Daily Show as a result of someone else's crazy.

• BrewBrew Registered User regular
    I'm with Republicans on this. I'm not sure if this whole "women" thing is working out for us. It was worth trying but now it's just too much hassle.

1st ever "Penny-Arcade Hero Academy Tournament" Toilet Bowl Champion!
    steam_sig.png
    "You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.
    And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should."
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    "being raped too much."

Who said that? They deserve all sorts of bad things.

Henroid wrote:
    "being raped too much."

Liz Trotta
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wPTfDCZ1Uw

LxX6eco.jpg
    edited February 2012
    A regular Fox News contributor named Liz Trotta.

The anchor interviewing her actually tried to offer a contradictory viewpoint to her assertion, which I appreciate because that sort of shit shouldn't be allowed to pass unchallenged anywhere. It's still shocking to me that someone with such an fervently held "blame the woman" mentality on rape could be a regular contributor to that anchor's program, however.

edit: HA! When I described the anchor as having a look that said he knew he was about to end up on a Daily Show segment because of someone else's crazy, I didn't know that it actually did end up becoming a segment.

SammyF on
  • AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    The only thing about women in the military that might be an actual issue is the whole "tote x pounds for y miles at a speedy pace" thing. Muscles n' dat. The whole "boys will be boys" shit is disgusting and positively Islamic in how it depicts men. And the whole "feelings" rigmarole should preferably be brought up by people who have feelings apart from sneering anger and excitable resentment, so Fox News is right out.

Absalon on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    A woman said that?

I fucking give up.

• Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote:
    A woman said that?

I fucking give up.

I believe women comprised some of the loudest voices against the womens suffrage movement back in the day. It shouldn't be too shocking.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote:
    And leading Republican Presidential nominee saying women shouldn't be allowed to be in the military because of...feelings
    Republican presidential candidate Rick Santorum expressed skepticism on Thursday about a recent decision by the Pentagon to open up more military roles for women on the front lines, suggesting their "emotions" could create a "compromising situation" if they were thrown into combat.

Asked by CNN's John King if the move, "perhaps opening the door to a broader role for women in combat," was an idea he'd support as president, Santorum responded:

"I want to create every opportunity for women to be able to serve this country, and they do so in an amazing and wonderful way and they're a great addition -- and they have been for a long time -- to the armed services of our country."

Then came the big "but."

"But I do have concerns about women in front-line combat, I think that could be a very compromising situation, where people naturally may do things that may not be in the interest of the mission, because of other types of emotions that are involved," Santorum continued. "It already happens, of course, with the camaraderie of men in combat, but I think it would be even more unique if women were in combat, and I think that's probably not in the best interest of men, women or the mission."

Okay now I'm done.

I'm pretty sure he meant to say that their periods attract bears.

Henroid wrote:
    A woman said that?

I fucking give up.

I believe women comprised some of the loudest voices against the womens suffrage movement back in the day. It shouldn't be too shocking.

Considering how they comprise 52% of the population, women would be running this show if they had even the slightest sense of solidarity.

• chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Oh Virginia government, how do I hate thee? Let me count the ways...

You know what, that will take too long. I'll be out of this state (commonwealth, whatever) before I finish.

I often wonder why the Catholic leadership is so amazingly out of touch with their constituency here in the US. To the best of my knowledge, contraception use amongst Catholic women is very similar to the amount of contraception usage amongst non-Catholic women, despite the Catholic Church being adamantly opposed to any sort of contraception other than family planning. The 98% number that was thrown into the debate recently is misleading, but when taken in context there is still compelling evidence that women largely ignore the church when it comes to this issue.

steam_sig.png
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote:
    "being raped too much."

Some gigantic twatbag by the name of Liz Trotta.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/13/fox-news-liz-trotta-rape_n_1274018.html

Twatbag's probably too nice an insult for this piece of trash.

Lh96QHG.png
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    One thing I'm curious about, in regards to the 64% increase in violent sexual assaults; how has the number of women in the military and combat increased as well? Assuming it's a flat increase and not per capita, if there's been a 64% increase in assaults but a 200% increase in women present in those roles, that'd be worth noting.

Also, it's possible that it hasn't been a 64% increase in assaults, but a 64% increase in reported assaults, as sexual assaults are (at least in the civilian population, and I wouldn't be surprised if it were the case in the military as well) a vastly under reported crime. For all we know based on that one statistic, the violent assault rate could've dropped, but the report rate for the remainder has skyrocketed.

Basically, there's a lot of missing information the way I see it. If those figures have been included elsewhere or incorporated into the 64% figure, I'd be curious to read more, and will stand corrected.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • SpenzkriegSpenzkrieg eh's a pretty cool guy Registered User regular
    Plenty of women have seen combat in Iraq/Afghanistan. I think we can put this retarded "women can't emotionally handle the stress of combat" notion aside.

RS: Eide
    RC: Ais
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Brew wrote:
    I'm with Republicans on this. I'm not sure if this whole "women" thing is working out for us. It was worth trying but now it's just too much hassle.

If only we could just marry guys, right?

Lh96QHG.png
  • CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Absalon wrote:
    The only thing about women in the military that might be an actual issue is the whole "tote x pounds for y miles at a speedy pace" thing. Muscles n' dat. The whole "boys will be boys" shit is disgusting and positively Islamic in how it depicts men. And the whole "feelings" rigmarole should preferably be brought up by people who have feelings apart from sneering anger and excitable resentment, so Fox News is right out.

The feats of strength required of US military infantry are not so extreme that women can't do them. Women in the military already are required to do all of the physical stuff that men do in basic training. There are occasionally variations in the type of exercise performed, so if that leads to women being insufficiently prepared for front-line combat then maybe the PT regime needs to be examined, but it's not like infantry soldiers are so far out toward the limit of human capability that differences in male and female musculature are going to prevent women from doing it all, too.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Hide yo kids, hide yo wife, and hide yo grandma cause' they rapin everybody out here!

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    There is zero credibility to the statement that "women can't handle combat". The Soviet Army would like to have a word with you if you believe that.

Lh96QHG.png
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    chrisnl wrote:

You know what, that will take too long. I'll be out of this state (commonwealth, whatever) before I finish.

I often wonder why the Catholic leadership is so amazingly out of touch with their constituency here in the US. To the best of my knowledge, contraception use amongst Catholic women is very similar to the amount of contraception usage amongst non-Catholic women, despite the Catholic Church being adamantly opposed to any sort of contraception other than family planning. The 98% number that was thrown into the debate recently is misleading, but when taken in context there is still compelling evidence that women largely ignore the church when it comes to this issue.

Contraception use has actually been equal or higher among Catholics than Protestants for 4-5 decades. Over the last 40 years, Catholic families are now actually typically smaller (fewer children per woman) than non-Catholics in the US.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • MillMill Registered User regular
    It's sad that all this makes the VA senate's passing of ERA seem timely despite being 40 years late. Now if I could just find a list of the 16 sexists that voted against it, I'm really curious to see if they are all republicans or not.

• DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    There is zero credibility to the statement that "women can't handle combat". The Soviet Army would like to have a word with you if you believe that.

Also, isn't PTSD proof that men can't handle it either? Fuck, unless you're a cyborg, living every day for years in the desert never knowing if today's the day your convoy gets turned into scrap by an IED or a bullet finds your vitals, you are going to be a little fucked up mentally regardless of your sex.

Men suffering from PTSD proves nothing except that they're too gay to serve in combat

LxX6eco.jpg
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote:
    A woman said that?

I fucking give up.
    Unfortunately, men do not have a monopoly on stupid.

• ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    chrisnl wrote:

The Catholic Church is so out of touch with their constituency here because there's no reason for them to be in touch with them. Catholics won't just stand up and say "I use birth control, so fuck off Bishop Douchenozzle, you bigoted, medieval fuck." Instead, they'll feel bad about it, put a little extra in the collection plate, and go on about their lives.

And that collection plate is really all the church cares about.

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Spenzkrieg wrote:
    Plenty of women have seen combat in Iraq/Afghanistan. I think we can put this retarded "women can't emotionally handle the stress of combat" notion aside.

Which is pretty much what the Pentagon said too. Modern warfare makes the concept of the "front lines" really meaningless. Women are in the military and are seeing combat because combat is everywhere in the warzone. Pretending otherwise is just going to leave female soldiers with inadequate training.

SyphonBlue wrote:
    Beltaine wrote:
    Sensationalism, ho!

(Am I doing it right?)
    What sensationalism?

So are you gonna answer the question or.....................

LxX6eco.jpg
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote:
    Men suffering from PTSD proves nothing except that they're too gay to serve in combat

I can imagine Nightmare America where the GOP keeps winning elections, and after outlawing homosexuality, the next assault is on feminine behavior. I'm pretty sure it's possible for the GOP to invent a new hate range broader than "women and gays" that includes non-traditional males.

• YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    You can take some comfort in that the fact that this is already starting to backfire on them. The contraception thing in particular is a losing issue with the public and everyone who wants to occasionally have sex without making a baby. All the GOP candidates have now been cornered into saying something on camera that they'll wish they hadn't when the general election starts.

• ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    The Catholic Bishops aren't just facing an issue of the lay people not being amazingly supportive of this. A number of organizations within or tied to the church have come out in favor of the compromise. The Catholic Health Association which represents the bulk of Catholic hospitals has come out in favor of the compromise. As has the Association of Jesuit colleges and the Sisters of Mercy. Now two of those three groups, the CHA and the Jesuit Colleges have had clashes with the Bishops before. The CHA and the Bishops clashed when the PPACA was being debated. And the Jesuits clashed because it's a day that ends in Y. The more intresting clash is the Leadership Conference of Women Religious, which represents the bulk of Catholic nuns.

Absalon wrote:

The feats of strength required of US military infantry are not so extreme that women can't do them. Women in the military already are required to do all of the physical stuff that men do in basic training. There are occasionally variations in the type of exercise performed, so if that leads to women being insufficiently prepared for front-line combat then maybe the PT regime needs to be examined, but it's not like infantry soldiers are so far out toward the limit of human capability that differences in male and female musculature are going to prevent women from doing it all, too.

Are you currently in the military?

• Fallout2manFallout2man Vault Dweller Registered User regular
    Maybe the GOP thinks war really is love? Maybe that's why they keep declaring there's a "War on X" they're just trying to show us how much they love something...by trying to destroy it! ;p

On Ignorance:
    Kana wrote:
    If the best you can come up with against someone who's patently ignorant is to yell back at him, "Yeah? Well there's BOOKS, and they say you're WRONG!"

Then honestly you're not coming out of this looking great either.
  • Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    Plus, there are plenty of physiological differences that make women (as a population) more suited to certain tasks performed by the military than men, so just selecting certain aspects of physical strength is cherry-picking.

(e.g, submarines, high-G acceleration, etc)

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    WASHINGTON -- Protecting women from violence and abuse has been an issue of bipartisan cooperation since President Clinton signed the landmark Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) in 1994. It was reauthorized with overwhelming bipartisan support in 2000 and again in 2005. Not this year.
    On Feb. 2, the Senate Judiciary Committee approved legislation (S. 1925) reauthorizing VAWA. The bill was sponsored by Chair Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.) and Sen. Mike Crapo (R-Idaho) -- who is not on the committee -- and cosponsored by 34 senators from both parties. Nevertheless, the legislation attracted no GOP support among committee members and passed out of committee on a party-line vote of 10-8. It was, according to Leahy's office, the first time VAWA legislation did not receive bipartisan backing out of committee.

I no understand. Really, whose vote are they going for?

smCQ5WE.jpg
    Spenzkrieg wrote:

Which is pretty much what the Pentagon said too. Modern warfare makes the concept of the "front lines" really meaningless. Women are in the military and are seeing combat because combat is everywhere in the warzone. Pretending otherwise is just going to leave female soldiers with inadequate training.

Eh, the are things to be learned from Iraq/Afghanistan but those were very asymmetrical conflicts. If we had a conventional war with, say, China... it would be completely different. That's to be expected.

Military actions (outside of the 2-3 week period it took the US to absolutely crush the Iraqi military) have been very asymmetric and are not representative of what most military expect out of another conventional war. However, you can make the case that no other country will ever try to fight the US in a conventional war as that is where our overwhelming strength is. But, that is a debate for another thread.

This is about "women can't emotionally withhold the rigors of combat" and that's complete bullshit. Santorum is an ass and the fact that he never even served yet he feels he can speak with confidence about that exacerbates the problem even more.

• MarauderMarauder Registered User regular
    I love this...its so delicious. I have a picture of all the Republicans, on a sinking ship, and Darrel Issa is the commander of a lifeboat yelling "FREE SEATS!!!"......the lifeboat is swarmed and they all drown.

I cant shake my head hard enough.....yes, why would we want to cause insurance companies, who already charge women of child bearing age AND their employers a higher premium due to the risk of pregnancy, why would we also force them to provide a preventative service at no cost, and which will very likely SAVE them money in the long run, as it is fuck expensive to have a kid and most BC costs 30$ a month..

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Delzhand wrote:
    SyphonBlue wrote:

I can imagine Nightmare America where the GOP keeps winning elections, and after outlawing homosexuality, the next assault is on feminine behavior. I'm pretty sure it's possible for the GOP to invent a new hate range broader than "women and gays" that includes non-traditional males.

You don't have to. Margaret Atwood already wrote The Handmaid's Tale.