As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo 3DS]: Dillion's Rolling Western, Mario Tennis, Spirit Camera!

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    jothki wrote:
    I'm particularly impressed at how the game managed to introduce the most obnoxiously cute mascot ever and then immediately make me feel bad for it.

You're blue, have weird ears, sound like a girl, and breathe fire... You're a thing.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote:
    Anyone notice anything different after getting the "updates" for the NES games?

NES games that are released to the VC have save states. The ambassador ones did not.

There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    What is up with all the Gameboy VC updates? What do they have to update?

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote:
    What is up with all the Gameboy VC updates? What do they have to update?

It's 2012, everything gets patched. Everything.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    So I tried out the Snake Eater 3D demo. Yea...no dice. Controls are terribad.

I think the graphics are nice and really crisp for a handheld port. I'm glad I went ahead and grabbed the HD collection though.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Brainiac 8 wrote:
    So I tried out the Snake Eater 3D demo. Yea...no dice. Controls are terribad.

Did you play with the Circle Pad Pro? Still a little awkward but seems to be nice for camera control.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    So.. Tales.

When they do the little aside things when you push start..
    The slightly blurred/dimmed 3d behind looks awesome.
    However, it's weird to me that all the sound cuts out, and all the buttons stopped responding. Were they supposed to be VO'd and then they didn't have time?

• Options
    Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    Xaviar wrote:
    So.. Tales.

However, it's weird to me that all the sound cuts out, and all the buttons stopped responding. Were they supposed to be VO'd and then they didn't have time?

From the little bit I know, all the VO is taken from the original. Back in the day most companies didn't want to drop too much money for VO so they just got the important stuff voiced and did text for the rest of it.

• Options
    Xaviar wrote:
    So.. Tales.

They were voiced in the Japanese version but not the American. Most likely due to rushing the game out.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    On a side note

Maaaydayyy maaaaaydayyy...

• Options
    Oh man, Resident Evil fight:
    Rachael. Good fucking God it's been frustrating! Not because I've lost four times now, but because I have to do THE ENTIRE FUCKING THING OVER each time. Come on Capcom, how about a autosave in the kitchen area before the final fight. UGH!

I'll finish the fight tomorrow after some away time.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    If any Australians read this, JB Hifi has Cave Story 3D for $29 at the moment.
    Last time I checked it was $70, so get on that shit.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    My friend picked up Abyss when it originally came out, we played it 2P for the whole night.

The main character is me.

He was controlling the story and I was just hopping in on the battles. People would be telling the main character too much backstory or discussing their stupid problems, and multiple times I would pipe in with my feelings and responses...and the main guy said the exact same thing two seconds later when he hit X to continue the conversation. It was slightly surreal.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    If the full game isn't very much improved, then Edge Magazine was definitely smoking something:
    Packed with detail, both in terms of it's environments and mechanics, this is a game that pays back investment in spades. MGS3 is a modern classic - the tightest, smartest and most emotional journey in the series - and even the HD update doesn't look as good as this portable treatment.

8/10

Actually, even in the demo, some aspects of the graphics have been significantly improved. General texture resolution aside (which doesn't hurt too much on the small screen), it does look better than the original game. There are normal maps all over the character models (all two of them in the demo, but also the animals) and there's fancy next-gen lighting now. The polycount on Snake himself also appears to be higher, but I could be wrong about that. Either way, it looks great. If all of the other characters get the same treatment, and especially if this demo isn't representative of the final game, it should end up looking pretty amazing. The HD Collection is a straight port with no improvements to the in-game graphics.

IN FACT, the HD Collection has enormous issues with textures that have alpha transparency (i.e., almost all of the foliage) having sky-colored matte artifacts when they try to blend with each other because, apparently, modern hardware can't actually do that. They totally ignored that it looks like ass. For the 3DS port they tossed the alpha blending, which means the leaves and such look worse than the original, but still much better than the HD Collection.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    That's crazy about the HD collection, I'd like to see screens of that.

Also interesting about MGS3 3D. I didn't get a chance to try the demo yet. I haven't read anywhere that anything was improved about the graphics, all anybody does is complain about the parts that are bad. Less grass (that also pops in), low res textures, janky frame rate, jaggies everywhere.
    MNC Dover wrote:
    Oh man, Resident Evil fight:
    Rachael. Good fucking God it's been frustrating! Not because I've lost four times now, but because I have to do THE ENTIRE FUCKING THING OVER each time. Come on Capcom, how about a autosave in the kitchen area before the final fight. UGH!

I'll finish the fight tomorrow after some away time.

Enemies cannot follow you through doors. If you run right past the boss and go all the way back to where you started the game,
    Parker will randomly show up to help you. He may be of some small benefit during the fight.

I've been really really enjoying Raid Mode. It changes the way I play the normal game, making me more confident and accurate in fights. It's nice to not worry about conserving ammo so much, just blasting anything that moves, and also seeing health bars!

I got a couple of the rare weapons. The Drake shotgun is amazing, you fire it one handed and it's very fast. The Pale Rider magnum looks utterly ridiculous with like a two foot long barrel, but it wrecks bosses.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    snakeeaterhd_alphamatte.jpg

It looks super horrible in some areas. It's not always sky-colored, but that's what stands out the most. Each transparent texture just blends with whatever's behind all of them, as if the others didn't exist. It's is a shortcoming of modern video hardware as far as I know, because I've only seen games on the Dreamcast and PS2 actually do it correctly. The 3DS version definitely handles it better by cutting out the alpha instead of leaving it with horrible artifacts.

• Options
    As far as polygons are concerned, the in-game model does seem to be identical to the PS2 version. But you can see just how much better it looks due to the normal mapping and the lighting if you do this: backtrack from the start of the demo (crawl under the log to go back), run off the cliff to grab onto the edge, and turn the camera so Snake's face is all up ins. For a short while (until he grabs on with both hands) you can get a super closeup and the sunlight in this area will highlight the details.

I think the cutscene model is improved or modified a little. Maybe just as much as they needed to maximize the impact of the normal mapping. Here is a picture. It's actually kind of ridiculous how much better he looks in the 3DS version.

snakeeater3d_vs_snakeeaterhd.jpg

• Options
    edited February 2012
    bowser_eggman_disney.jpg

Leaked screen of Bowser, Eggman and Zangief in the new Disney movie Wreck-it Ralph

via mynintendonews.com

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    skeldare wrote:
    bowser_eggman_disney.jpg

Leaked screen of Bowser, Eggman and Zangief in the new Disney movie Wreck-it Ralph

via mynintendonews.com

Here's hoping Mike Pollock's on board.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Don't forget Dr. Wily!

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Oh fuck. Oh fuck. I was hoping they'd be able to do some cameos, and they did.

And it looks like a group therapy session. Oh fuck. Can't wait.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote:
    Oh fuck. Oh fuck. I was hoping they'd be able to do some cameos, and they did.

And it looks like a group therapy session. Oh fuck. Can't wait.

Yes, it's going to be awesome. Hopefully there'll be other great cameos.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    As far as polygons are concerned, the in-game model does seem to be identical to the PS2 version. But you can see just how much better it looks due to the normal mapping and the lighting if you do this: backtrack from the start of the demo (crawl under the log to go back), run off the cliff to grab onto the edge, and turn the camera so Snake's face is all up ins. For a short while (until he grabs on with both hands) you can get a super closeup and the sunlight in this area will highlight the details.

I think the cutscene model is improved or modified a little. Maybe just as much as they needed to maximize the impact of the normal mapping. Here is a picture. It's actually kind of ridiculous how much better he looks in the 3DS version.
    snakeeater3d_vs_snakeeaterhd.jpg

The touched-up lighting really does add a whole new layer of polish to the game, despite the lower resolution.
    skeldare wrote:
    bowser_eggman_disney.jpg

via mynintendonews.com

Why would you look at that!

Isn't Wreck-It Ralph himself supposed to be some kind of down on his luck ex-videogame-villain looking for a higher purpose? I guess it'd just make sense for him to consult with the masters of the olden days.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    Zephiran wrote:
    skeldare wrote:
    bowser_eggman_disney.jpg

via mynintendonews.com

Why would you look at that!

Isn't Wreck-It Ralph himself supposed to be some kind of down on his luck ex-videogame-villain looking for a higher purpose? I guess it'd just make sense for him to consult with the masters of the olden days.

Yep. And considering the director is Rich Moore, frequent director of The Simpsons during its heyday, odds are it's going to be damn fine.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Nother new KI trailer, with METROIDS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Tl4A6pvr3g

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Heh. Of course Sakurai wouldn't be able to pass up that weird a nod to the original game.

• Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    Ewwwwww. Instead of using the original MGS3 controls like a sane person, they try to shoehorn dual analog stick style controls with the ABXY buttons, leaving stuff like crouching to the d-pad. That is just a staggeringly bad decision right there.

• Options
    Darlan wrote:
    Ewwwwww. Instead of using the original MGS3 controls like a sane person, they try to shoehorn dual analog stick style controls with the ABXY buttons, leaving stuff like crouching to the d-pad. That is just a staggeringly bad decision right there.

That's why I use the Circle Pad Pro.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options

Every time I see "KI" I think of Killer Instinct. I was like, "Wait! There's another trailer for a new KI game? How did I miss the first one?!"

:D

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote:
    Darlan wrote:

That's why I use the Circle Pad Pro.

I wanted Gyro aiming like in RE. Actually though if you could swap the buttons and the circle pad that would be okay. Is the circle pad pro really worth it in the end? I know at least 2 games use it at this point, but eeeeh.

Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options

Why does Medusa look so pleasantly surprised while looking at my crotch?

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    There's a "turn to stone" joke here, but my creativity is a bit constricted today.

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    The best gyro aiming is still OoT 3D. People need to ask grezzo/nintendo for the code for that bit.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Monster Hunter 3G- Q3 in Europe, no American date set.

• Options
    edited February 2012

Source:
    http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=172188

Edit: That's cool. My guess is it'll be announced at the last minute for NA. Just like everything else here.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    tbu.jpg

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Houn wrote:
    There's a "turn to stone" joke here, but my creativity is a bit constricted today.

Rock Hard, baby.

EDIT:
    skeldare wrote:

Source:
    http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=172188

Edit: That's cool. My guess is it'll be announced at the last minute for NA. Just like everything else here.

Alternatively;

"Is that a Monster Hunter in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?"
    I think my hypothesis that Nintendo is starting to treat Europe as a testbed for games gains more legitimacy as time goes on.

Zephiran on

• Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Yes but Edge isn't known for making up shit like virtually the entire rest of the European video game magazine scene.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    I think I recall that article from way back when, yeah. It's just that people have been so concentrated on an American release that they seem to have forgotten the game was coming to the West at all.

EDIT:
    Yes but Edge isn't known for making up shit like virtually the entire rest of the European video game magazine scene.

And well yeah, there's that too.

Zephiran on

This discussion has been closed.