As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PSVita: Tell me everything

GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
edited February 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
So I am considering picking up a PSVITA!

However, the last thing I will probably use it for is games haha. Can someone give me a decent description of all the abilities, features and future potential for this thing?

It interests me because it's cheaper (and apparently) more powerful than an iPad, and can play/use Flash video an content (something that I'm actually quite in need of). I'd like to use it at work as a decen web browser/video player/photo viewer, transferring the appropriate files from my iPhone to the PAVita. I'm not allowed to bring a laptop to work, but I really could use a device that can let me watch this rather expensive online video course over the next nine weeks, ad the lessons are coded in a flash player.

So guys, what else can this thing do besides games?

Godfather on

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    No. Just don't.

Flash doesn't work.
    Battery life sucks.
    Horrible web browser.

For the price you could be.halfway there to a tablet or smart phone.

• Options
    Forgot to mention that my friend is buying me a tablet PC in September when I start my new job in Canada, so picking up an iPad would be a bad idea

• Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    there's a pretty in-depth thread in Games & Technology about it if you want to read up:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/136097/ps-vita-first-edition-bundle-is-out-full-launch-in-one-week#Item_2001

• Options
    Its still not a good idea. It really sounds like you want a smartphone

• Options
    I already have a smartphone, but the screen is a little too cramped to use as a decent reference tool an the data plan I have blows ass

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Well, I love my Vita so far, but the web browser is rather shitty.

Like, if you're not interested in the gaming aspects, I would probably recommend a different device.

But it's a pretty good system so far.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    I severely doubt it's "faster than an iPad"

Maybe an iPad 1, and barely, which isn't saying much.

All reports are that all the peripheral features like Web, etc, are shoddy and cheap.

If you don't want it for games, then get something else.

• Options
    Jasconius wrote:
    I severely doubt it's "faster than an iPad"

Maybe an iPad 1, and barely, which isn't saying much.

All reports are that all the peripheral features like Web, etc, are shoddy and cheap.

If you don't want it for games, then get something else.

Depends on what you mean by "faster". I have an iPad 1 and Vita and the Vita is noticeably more powerful.

But the iPad offers a much better/more efficient browsing experience.

• Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    You may want to look at somethink like the Kindle Fire if the Vita isn't for you. It can play music/video/flash/browse the web. I really don't consider the Fire a full tablet, it's more of a media consumption device. It's less expensive that the Vita and if you're really not planning on playing any games on it, maybe something to consider. You would need to have wifi where you plan to use it though, no 3g option for the Fire.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    Welp, the Vita's non-gaming stuff is half-assed, it doesn't do flash (yet, at least --supposedly it will) and it doesn't even have the resolution of an iphone4 (though it's close.) Plus, if you're not using it to play games, those controls just take up space that could be screen real estate / omitted to have a smaller device.

I'm impressed with the hardware packed into a PS Vita, but I have no idea why anyone would buy one if they didn't plan to use it to play games. I'd say go with a kindle fire or an android tablet. Both will do the things you want to do better than the Vita will.

Erik
  • Options
    I need both 3G and flash capabilities. If I can't get that it's a dealbreaker. My dad has a kindle fire, but without a network it's little more than a paperweight for me

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    My best advice; Only get it for the games, nothing else.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    Godfather wrote:
    I need both 3G and flash capabilities. If I can't get that it's a dealbreaker. My dad has a kindle fire, but without a network it's little more than a paperweight for me

Then again you're going to want to about the Vita.

Flash isn't in, and with Adobe discontinuing development who knows if it will. And 3G speeds are suppose to be awful on the thing as well.

• Options
    TrinzlerTrinzler Registered User regular
    It's essentially a portable PS3. For video playback it'll only do MP4's. I just got one and it's awesome for what it is, you connect in and when you use NEAR you'll be able to see what local people close to you are playing. Proprietary memory is expensive as well (32g for $99).

• Options
    Well this thread is starting to become a real eye opener. I'll have to really check into the specs and get more hands on to see if it's even worth the trouble.

My hands are kind of tied when it comes to options: I can't/won't get an iPad because it's too expensive,big,won't recognize certain software and has no 3G options; A kindle isn't viable because of no 3G capabilities, plus the fact that once I move to Canada this September the thing won't be able to "work" over the border; and now this PSVita seems to have more gimmicky tack-on side features instead of the more round-about media device I thought it could have the potential to be.

Conflicted!

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    "Omit nothing..."

What about a color Nook? Ars has a vs. article, seems to like it.

• Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    The internet browser on the Vita actually isn't that bad. Sure it won't play youtube clips, but compared to the PSP/DSi/3DS browser, there's no contest. It's better than those.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Edit: Wrong thread.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Why not look at a Motorola Xoom?

• Options
    Alright fellas, hate to bring this thread back from the dead, but now that the Vita is out I just gotta know something relating to the web browser.

So Sony advertised that the Vita can play flash video, but when I tried watching a flash-based video (or any videos, even YouTube stuff), it says I need to install the latest version of Flash video. Whenever I click the link directing me to the installation however, it tells me I already have the latest version installed (???)

So basically it has Flash installed in the browser, but you can't watch flash (or any) videos yet, which seems like a monumentally stupid thing to screw up.

Am I doing something wrong, or did Sony seriously advertise one thing and not deliver at all?

• Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    As of right now, you can't watch youtube clips with that browser alone. If you want to play stuff from there, you have to use remote play and use the PS3's browser.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    Yeah, as we mentioned, Flash doesn't work on the Vita.

Can't believe you still bough it.

• Options
    Didn't buy it yet

• Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    Yea, I am going to have to continue with public opinion - if all you want are web browsing and apps instead of games this isn't quite the device you want.

• Options
    Well it seems that not only is the Vita not what I want, but there's literally nothing else out there on the market with what I need! Nobody has a tablet/video/web browsing device with 3G capabilities that can run Flash video :(

Looks like it's a bust folks!

• Options
    ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    Godfather wrote:
    Well it seems that not only is the Vita not what I want, but there's literally nothing else out there on the market with what I need! Nobody has a tablet/video/web browsing device with 3G capabilities that can run Flash video :(

Except for all the Android tablets sold by all cellphone networks.

Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    Chorazin wrote:
    Godfather wrote:

But is it Flash shockwave player compatible?

• Options
    ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    Godfather wrote:
    Chorazin wrote:
    Godfather wrote:

But is it Flash shockwave player compatible?

Do you mean regular flash websites? And flash video? Then yes, I watch plenty of flash videos on my Galaxy Tab.

Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    Wait, do I have to sign a contract with a company to access the data plan?

I'll be leaving for Canada permanently this September :/

• Options
    ScadillaScadilla Hates shaving Registered User regular
    My brother just got this neat little device.
    http://www.brighthand.com/review_3.asp?newsID=18380

He said he wanted it for media mostly, because that usually drains his smartphone's battery. I'm not sure if you can get a 3/4G version, but it plays flash and has a decent battery life since it omits the phone part.

• Options
    Scadilla wrote: »
    My brother just got this neat little device.
    http://www.brighthand.com/review_3.asp?newsID=18380

He said he wanted it for media mostly, because that usually drains his smartphone's battery. I'm not sure if you can get a 3/4G version, but it plays flash and has a decent battery life since it omits the phone part.

!!!

If this has any sort of data plan offered, consider me sold!

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    It is Samsung's version of the iPod Touch.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    Wah, I don't think it offers 3G or 4G :(

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    I thought signing a contract with a company to buy any smartphone was only necessary for a discount on the phone.

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Nope, it's a way they can rope you in on something you can't escape!

If I had to sign a interact for a data plan, I might as well buy a wireless router instead and bring my laptop instead. But doing so is expensive, and the cost of purchasing a no-contract one (with start-up and monthly fees) would cost me $500+ in the long run :x

• Options
    edited February 2012
    The internet browser on the Vita actually isn't that bad. Sure it won't play youtube clips, but compared to the PSP/DSi/3DS browser, there's no contest. It's better than those.

Yeah, but it still sucks IMO. I wouldn't buy a Vita as a browsing device. I just wouldn't.

It's a gaming device first, foremost, and maybe only.

edit: And it's an excellent gaming device. So far I fucking love my Vita - I just want to give my comments the proper context here. I'm not saying the Vita is bad. But if you buy one primarily for it's media "capabilities" without any/much interest in the gaming aspects then...hmm. I just wouldn't advise it.

Drez on
  • Options
    This device is so frustrating: It's the only thing out there that offers a month-to-month 3G plan that's affordable for me, and yet it can't play any sort of videos, and it seems that Sony isn't interested in putting more practical apps on the thing. I understand that it's a gaming device, but in this day and age of technology that's just slack-jawed stupid.

Giving your device a fully functional touch screen/3G capabilities but next to no video format support and more practical application options is like adding GPS to a horse-drawn carriage.

• Options
    embrikembrik Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Check out Amazon's AmazonWireless.com site. Pick 3G/4G tablets and choose either Month-to-Month or no contract. I'd guess that any of those devices would fit your needs.

embrik on
    "Damn you and your Daily Doubles, you brigand!"

I don't believe it - I'm on my THIRD PS3, and my FIRST XBOX360. What the heck?