As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PLEASE RSVP] 2012 PAX East D&D Fancy Dinner!

• Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    Sounds rather decent to me. Good stuff.

(Thanks.)

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Laossss

come to paxprime too! You too Chu!

(ok ok, i'll go away from this thread now)

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2012
    dinner time/date is finalized: the marliave, 10 bosworth street, 8pm on friday, april 6th. price is $47 for a prix fixe menu. please rsvp.

Organichu on
  • Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    ARRRRRRRsvp

Like a pirate

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    Screen%20Shot%202012-02-15%20at%201.23.34%20PM.png

so it turns out the price supplemented items don't only supplement the cost for those diners who order them... but for everyone, just for having them available.

what say ye? keep both because they look delicious? ditch them to be cheap?

help me help you.

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    I'm fine with paying extra, but only if a reasonable number of people are planning to order the dish with the supplemental charge.

That is to say that $10 works if like ten people want wellington, but not if only five people do.

So we should probably see how many people want these dishes and then go from there.

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I think $57 is a lot of money, especially when it's impossible to get your "money's worth".

I mean, you can either get the rabbit or the wellington, but not both, which means that no matter what, you're paying for an extra choice you won't be able to select.

Not to mention all the people who are getting the risotto.

Even aside from that, though....$57 (before alcohol, even!) is a lot of money to expect everybody to pay. That's probably close to a night's share of a hotel room for most people, not to mention it's almost twice as much as last year (last year was $30, right? Or $35?)

If everybody's going to have to pay it, I'd say we should get at most 1 supplement-charge entree. Probably the rabbit, since an extra $5 probably isn't as big a deal as $10 or $15.

I'd probably suggest something like risotto, steak, rabbit. Two accessible dishes plus one kind of out-there dish.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    I think $57 is a lot of money, especially when it's impossible to get your "money's worth".

I mean, you can either get the rabbit or the wellington, but not both, which means that no matter what, you're paying for an extra choice you won't be able to select.

Not to mention all the people who are getting the risotto.

Even aside from that, though....$57 (before alcohol, even!) is a lot of money to expect everybody to pay. That's probably close to a night's share of a hotel room for most people, not to mention it's almost twice as much as last year (last year was $30, right? Or $35?)

If everybody's going to have to pay it, I'd say we should get at most 1 supplement-charge entree. Probably the rabbit, since an extra $5 probably isn't as big a deal as $10 or $15.

I'd probably suggest something like risotto, steak, rabbit. Two accessible dishes plus one kind of out-there dish.

I'm kinda with VH here. Rabbit is a nice treat, and I don't think that it's crazy for there to be 5 bucks more. But nearly 60 bucks is quite a bit for one meal.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk Registered User regular
    I want to go again this year, but I need to find out if I can take a personal day off. Also my boss is sort of annoyed with me for taking a lot of sick days recently so if I broach the subject it will have to be in a while.

ezek1t.jpg
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    I don't mind paying $57 for a meal sometimes but that seems kind of an unreasonable policy...

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    right? it seems like total bullshit. i could see the supplement for the people who order the dish... but everyone pays extra for it EVEN BEING ON THE MENU? when it's on the regular menu for non-party patrons! what a crock!

anyway, it seems like it will not do to keep both.

keep the rabbit, or get rid of the supplement altogether? i liked vh's argument that keeping on the rabbit (it being the cheaper supplement) is good because it's a more exotic dish than beef for people who want something nice for their fancy meal.

or should we scrap it and go no supplement at all?

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    It depends on how many people would actually order rabbit, I think.

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Given the choices, I will probably go with rabbit.

If only because I'm not allowed to eat cute animals when I'm dining with my mother.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    We should just riot

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    TomeWyrmTomeWyrm A Limited Liability Partnership Registered User regular
    While I would love to have that beef wellington again this year, this supplemental menu policy they've taken is a bit outrageous. I'm fine with axing the wellington and keeping the rabbit, to have something different available while keeping the price a bit more acceptable.
    Eddy wrote:
    We should just riot

I'm also okay with this idea.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    I say no supplemental items or only rabbit. That is a ridiculous policy.

• Options
    i don't even care about the price

i just care about sarah trying to put me over a barrel

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU FUCK PEOPLE IN THE ASS, SARAH

• Options
    so it seems like we have a bunch of people saying rabbit's not a big deal?

should i replace the wellington with the steak?

risotto
    steak
    rabbit (+5)

is that ok?

or should it be

risotto
    steak
    fish/chicken

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    i'd stick with the rabbit. it's kind of a fancy thing you can't get everywhere.

i do think their new policy is some bullshit tho

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    alright so i'm gonna email her a final menu of

beets
    mac and cheese

risotto
    steak
    rabbit (+5)

cake
    pudding

the final cost for everyone (before your booze and valets and shoe polishes) will be $47

gonna do it

gonna fucking send the email

Organichu on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    by the way, justin texted me and said he's still coming.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    yeah he facebook'd me

• Options
    Organichu wrote:
    alright so i'm gonna email her a final menu of

beets
    mac and cheese

risotto
    steak
    rabbit (+5)

cake
    pudding

the final cost for everyone (before your booze and valets and shoe polishes) will be $47

gonna do it

gonna fucking send the email

email's sent, response received, everything's final

all that's left to do is confirm the number of rsvp's

right now we have 19 attending i think?

LET'S GET MOAR

• Options
    KikkaKikka New YorkRegistered User regular
    I am so in for this pls kthnx if there's room.

• Options
    Kikka wrote: »
    I am so in for this pls kthnx if there's room.

Yes!

There is room. Are you coming by yourself?

• Options
    KikkaKikka New YorkRegistered User regular
    [/quote]

Yes!

There is room. Are you coming by yourself? [/quote]

As far as I know, yes, all by myself. Should i send you my e-mail or something for to get all the specifics?

• Options
    edited March 2012
    There really isn't anything else you need to know. It's Friday, April 6th, at the Marliave. 10 Bosworth Street, Boston, MA. It's $47 per person and the menu is listed a few posts up. You get one choice from each course. There are two full bars in the place. You choose your meal that night, you pay that night. You don't have to do anything between now and then except show up.

You're welcome to email me at

Organichu (at) gmail (dot) com

if you have any other questions... but I think that's it. The only important thing is to please let me know (in this thread would be easiest) if you can't make it for some reason. After a certain point (48 hours before the event, I think?) if we have you listed as 'attending' and you can't make it, we have to eat the cost of your meal... which sucks.

Other than that, though, welcome, have fun, etc.

Organichu on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    What's the current state of this affair? I verified yesterday that i'd have a place to stay in Boston but I sort of doubt i'll attend Pax East.

Are there other non-PAX activities planned or will it mostly be centered around the convention?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    What's the current state of this affair? I verified yesterday that i'd have a place to stay in Boston but I sort of doubt i'll attend Pax East.

Are there other non-PAX activities planned or will it mostly be centered around the convention?

i can't speak 100% for this year because it's kind of a loose thing that we sort of make up on the fly

but in 2010 and 2011 'our' group (with the exception of maybe justin sane) definitely did not spend 12 hours a day at the convention

we usually eat out for lunch and dinner every day, go out drinking at least one (maybe two) nights

if you're worried about having no one to hang out with that won't happen

and you're welcome to use my pass at least one of the days if you want to check out the convention

and if you're asking about the dinner: do you wanna come!? should i rsvp you?

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Well I have a place now I just have to figure out my travel arrangements. I can do that after I take my car to the mechanic tomorrow.

Since i'll be visiting a friend and you guys aren't going to be all convention i'd see no reason for me not to go to dinner. I just have to find out what is behind this service engine light and then i'll make an RSVP.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    okay

well just let me know

i can't get chitlins on the menu but it'd be nice to see you

• Options
    what about greens

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    the beets have arugula... that'll do, pig

• Options
    Organichu wrote: »

i do not believe pig is kosher.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

you can do soul food or you can do halal

you don't get both, man

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Irond Will wrote: »

you don't get both, man

We'll see.

and i'll see you cats in Beantown.

(am i allowed to call it that?)

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »

you don't get both, man

We'll see.

and i'll see you cats in Beantown.

(am i allowed to call it that?)

Nope.

We allow The Hub sometimes.

Sometimes.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    i will have to un-rsvp methinks.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

nooooooooo edddyyyy

• Options

what?!

what?!

Wqdwp8l.png