As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Windows Phone 7. My god, it's full of tiles!

• Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    I really wish that was real. I loved the physical design of the Zune HD.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    alexmtlalexmtl Registered User regular
    Hey guys, my newest game is now available on the marketplace! It's called Millions of Zombies.

Check the trailer for it here (indulge me this is the first time I do video editing) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTpBh8tySV0&feature=youtube_gdata

And the marketplace link :
    http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/apps/c3a22f0b-8910-42f8-a5bb-205a1c542c68

You can also check my other game, which is an online rpg called Millions of Monsters (lack or originality for names + 1) :
    http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/apps/6f07d6a2-d739-49ec-b55d-cba55df5ca2a

Alright,

/shill

Let me know what you guys think!

Alex

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Well, I'm willing to give a free app a shot. :)

However, I'd be extremely careful about plugging your own apps, as it's quite frowned upon on these boards.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Oh really? It was actually my first post... I had an account long time ago though. But why would that be frowned upon? I personally love to hear about indie projects that people are working on / have released...

• Options
    alexmtl wrote:
    Oh really? It was actually my first post... I had an account long time ago though. But why would that be frowned upon? I personally love to hear about indie projects that people are working on / have released...

If you're here to post about the game you or your company made

You didn't make a thread, so that's a plus, but figured I'd give a warning just in case. We love hearing about indie games too, just that the mods frown upon self-promotion. About the only ones who are allowed to do that are Rainbow and Slash (Zeboyd Games) since they were already well established forumers before they started making games.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    I've made a few threads for games I'm makin' but I always ask Tube first. He's always just been like "yeah coo'".

• Options
    cool, good to know. I didn't think about making a single thread just for an unknown game of mine (otherwise if everyone did this the forum would be swarmed with indie game threads). But I thought to announce it in a wp7 thread (we wp7 users have to watch our backs, there's like 50 of us!!) was appropriate.

Cheers!

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Has anyone tried unlocking their WP7? I've heard that Dell is now willing to offer unlock codes for the Venue Pro, and thought I'd be remiss not to take advantage of this. On the other hand, I don't want to break my phone for updates as controlled by T-Mobile (though I've heard unlocking also allows you to bypass that whole process)...

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Unlocked phones still receive updates from Microsoft.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Good to know, thanks.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Wordament is going XBox Live?

That's freaking awesome and well deserved.

• Options
    RIP Metrotube.

Finally had to reset my phone, shame Google had their way with the developers. So we're left with Youtube Pro, which, while not bad, means we have only one good Youtube app, it seems, rather than two.

That's Google for you, I guess.

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Anybody trying out the Windows 8 Consumer Preview? I need to grab some blank DVDs on the way home tonight but I'll be giving it a go via Boot Camp.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Anybody trying out the Windows 8 Consumer Preview? I need to grab some blank DVDs on the way home tonight but I'll be giving it a go via Boot Camp.

I wish I had a touch screen PC to test it on..

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular

I'm going to install it on my PC tonight. This is the first time I've been excited about Windows in...ever. I'm really looking forward to trying it out.

• Options
    Are there any changes in WP7 connections to Win8?

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    I had the preview--of some sort--but I never got around to installing it.

• Options
    Quake MattQuake Matt Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I've got the consumer preview downloaded now - just need to figure out how I'm going to install it since, apparently, it doesn't much care for virtual machines. Might dig out a spare HDD, or maybe see if I can get it installed to a USB stick.

Edit: scratch the USB plan - sounds like that's not part of the preview.

Personally, I'm not expecting that it'll get me to to upgrade from Windows 7. That's more of a reflection on how awesome 7 is, though, rather than any perceived flaws in 8.

Quake Matt on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    2 hours down, 2 hours to go on my Windows 8 download.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Quake Matt wrote: »
    I've got the consumer preview downloaded now - just need to figure out how I'm going to install it since, apparently, it doesn't much care for virtual machines. Might dig out a spare HDD, or maybe see if I can get it installed to a USB stick.
    You can always shrink one of your current hard drives partitions. That's what I did. Removing Windows 8 is easy, format the partition, remove Windows 8 from your boot list with msconfig.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Quake MattQuake Matt Registered User regular
    Quake Matt wrote: »
    You can always shrink one of your current hard drives partitions. That's what I did. Removing Windows 8 is easy, format the partition, remove Windows 8 from your boot list with msconfig.

Nuh-uh. My computer's running as well now as it was the day I built it - I'm not going to tempt fate by messing about with partitions and boot sectors! A spare HDD with suffice, I think.

Wish I had a touchscreen laptop/tablet, though. That'd be nice to try out.

• Options
    JacksWastedLifeJacksWastedLife Registered User regular
    I have a Samsung Series 7 Slate. I had already installed the Dev preview. Installing the Consumer preview took all of an hour to download and run. I had to reinstall Fireworks afterwards. The new apps included in the Consumer preview are excellent. The Xbox companion in particular stands out. I can browse movies using the same interface as my Kinect and play them back either on my tablet or instruct my xbox to start playing.

They've pretty much taken all the awesome bits of WinPhone7 and ported them to the desktop. I will admit though that if I didn't have a touchscreen, I would probably hate using the new start menu and metro style apps. Being able to flick from the left side of the screen to switch apps or from the right to open the command window is excellent with touch or a stylus. With a mouse it sucks to have to move the cursor into one of the corners, especially when your mouse swaps to your other PC when it hits the left side of the screen.

• Options
    OakeyOakey UKRegistered User regular
    Wordament is going XBox Live?

That's freaking awesome and well deserved.

So those of us who bought Metro Tube are now screwed I take it?

Also, Win 8 CP works fine with VirtualBox providing you have the hardware for it.

• Options
    Synthesis wrote:
    RIP Metrotube.

Finally had to reset my phone, shame Google had their way with the developers. So we're left with Youtube Pro, which, while not bad, means we have only one good Youtube app, it seems, rather than two.

That's Google for you, I guess.

Google's quickly taking over the "douchebag company" slot Microsoft left vacant a few years ago.

Not to take away from Google's initial amazing offering of their search engine, but their stance on things this past year or two has made me realize that advertising is indeed full of sleazeballs.

• Options
    Honestly, I don't like Google on the basis they don't actually provide much of value. Apple and Google both seem to fill the role of being disruptive companies, except Google kind of throws things out and doesn't even try polishing them. Google also does rather hurt any other model than their's because, even if you provide a better product, competing with free is really, really hard.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    What do you mean by disruptive?

I agree with your point about Google and polish. Comparing Android (had one for maybe two years) to the incredibly polished WP7 experience is just ...ugh. I can't even use Android anymore until they make some big changes.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Daemonion wrote: »
    What do you mean by disruptive?
    Basically, coming in and doing something different, shaking things up, and making people re-evaluate how things are done. For example, the iPhone came in and completely redefined what was considered a smart phone, Google coming in with Gmail and its, at the time, utterly insane storage amount. Things like that.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    If MetroTube's case is to be believed, Google's lack of support for WP7 is disruptive, though one can hardly be surprised by it.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Maybe I am just exceedingly blind, but I cannot figure out how to transfer pictures sent to me via text message to my PC. What is the secret to this?

• Options
    jgeis wrote: »
    Maybe I am just exceedingly blind, but I cannot figure out how to transfer pictures sent to me via text message to my PC. What is the secret to this?

Tap and hold and save them to your phone in a "saved pictures" album.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Or forward the text to your email account.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    So, does anyone know why my phone has started notifying me on things I don't care about - namely people on my Facebook's birthday? I don't care if it's in my calendar, but notifications are annoying.

• Options
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    So, does anyone know why my phone has started notifying me on things I don't care about - namely people on my Facebook's birthday? I don't care if it's in my calendar, but notifications are annoying.

Log into your live.com account (or whatever one is associated with the phone) and edit the profile for the birthday calendar to not notify you. I had to do the same thing when I first got my phone set up, but not sure why it would just suddenly turn on.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    ArcSyn wrote: »

I thought that this was what I was supposed to do, but I don't get the option to save the picture when I tap and hold it.

• Options

I thought that this was what I was supposed to do, but I don't get the option to save the picture when I tap and hold it.

Are you tap and holding the text message itself? Tap the picture first to load it full screen, then tap and hold the picture to save it.

Tap and hold on text screen loads text sub menu (delete forward copy), but if you tap the picture and load it first, then you can bring up the picture sub menu.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »

Log into your live.com account (or whatever one is associated with the phone) and edit the profile for the birthday calendar to not notify you. I had to do the same thing when I first got my phone set up, but not sure why it would just suddenly turn on.
    Champioooon!

• Options

Are you tap and holding the text message itself? Tap the picture first to load it full screen, then tap and hold the picture to save it.

Tap and hold on text screen loads text sub menu (delete forward copy), but if you tap the picture and load it first, then you can bring up the picture sub menu.

Oh ho ho. I am an idiot.

• Options
    floobiefloobie Registered User regular
    I think I've come around on WP7 to some extent. I just spent a few minutes playing with a Nokia Lumia 800 in a store. Maybe it was the combination of Mango (hadn't tried it yet) and the absolutely awesome, gorgeous, ergonomic as hell Nokia hardware. But, yeah, I really liked it. The keyboard in Windows Phone is right up there with the iPhone's. Even with a "small" 3.7" display, typing on it felt more accurate and comfortable than on any big screened Android behemoth. I still find the interface a bit visually overwhelming and cluttered, but after playing with Windows 8 on my computer, it felt a bit less chaotic. And, indeed, Metro on a touch interface completely blows away Metro with a keyboard and mouse, IMO.

And, well, I've always had a soft spot for Nokia. My previous phone was an E71, and despite the very aged feel of Symbian, it was a great phone with great hardware. They definitely still know what they're doing when it comes to hardware. I also quite like that they're even offering a smaller phone, instead of joining in on the screen size race with something obscenely enormous.

This won't be switching me away from my iPhone any time soon. But, I'll use an analogy from Canadian politics: The official opposition has changed. Windows Phone (on a Nokia) has replaced Android. The amount of polish across the device was in a different league, even compared to the Galaxy Nexus sitting next to it.