As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[World of Tanks] Our track is broken! Get out and push!

• SupraluminalSupraluminal Registered User regular
    We ran one in the tier 7 challenge and it did fine, but I don't know that it holds up to tier 8 tanks that well. I think that's a big problem with the tiering system of this game competitively. There are very rarely tanks worth using under the maximum allowed tier ...
    I dunno, 200mm at an angle should still be useful. Anyway, how does it handle compared to the Tiger H? Isn't it better in basically every conceivable way, including speed and maneuverability? (Just going by paper stats; I've never driven either.) I was kinda talking in the context of choosing one or the other, which is how Synth's post came across.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Why no interest in the Tiger P? It looks pretty rad, at least for pub matches. Bad players will bounce rounds off the front of it all day long. I don't know if the armor is such a big advantage for TC or tournament-type situations, though.

Eh, cosmetically, I think it looks stupid. But that's a minor issue. But on the whole, I've got next to no interest in the German heavy tanks as a whole, and the other two I am interested in are the Tiger I and Tiger II. I'm sure the Tiger P is superior, but if I really wanted heavies, I'd spend more time with my IS.

I've unlocked more gear through the Jagdpanther (and thus, on the Panther and Tiger) than the Ferdinand (and the Tiger), so there's that too.

Synthesis on
  • SonorkSonork CanadaRegistered User regular
    We ran one in the tier 7 challenge and it did fine, but I don't know that it holds up to tier 8 tanks that well. I think that's a big problem with the tiering system of this game competitively. There are very rarely tanks worth using under the maximum allowed tier ...
    I dunno, 200mm at an angle should still be useful. Anyway, how does it handle compared to the Tiger H? Isn't it better in basically every conceivable way, including speed and maneuverability? (Just going by paper stats; I've never driven either.) I was kinda talking in the context of choosing one or the other, which is how Synth's post came across.

Tiger P is a boat, but it actually has upsides like front armor and a front mounted turret. While the Tiger H has nothing. I'd take the Tiger P over the Tiger H every match. That said, i just bought a Tiger H on today's sale. Want me an E75 eventually. Get rid of my reverse duck tank as a T9 heavy. E75 is better than the AusfB in almost everyway.

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Stealth 13 90 is stealthy.
    http://www.mediafire.com/?7qxwobg0tg79aes

Wish that could have been my x5 today ... I'd happily take 8.5k XP ... <_<

[Edit]
    And I just killed a GW Typ E in my T-54! Master Tanker, woo!

[Double edit]
    I don't need to show you the replay for this one. I think the results screen speaks for itself. This game follows another in my BT-2 that I earned 900XP from a loss.
    MaVLE.jpg

ArcticLancer on
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Nothing brings me greater pleasure than killing Type 59's. Just wanted to let you all know that.

Sonork wrote:

Tiger P is a boat, but it actually has upsides like front armor and a front mounted turret. While the Tiger H has nothing. I'd take the Tiger P over the Tiger H every match. That said, i just bought a Tiger H on today's sale. Want me an E75 eventually. Get rid of my reverse duck tank as a T9 heavy. E75 is better than the AusfB in almost everyway.

The Tiger H doesn't quite have nothing. It's more agile. The P theoretically has a higher top speed on paper but I've heard some dispute about that, and the H can get the Tiger II's engine which is more powerful than any of the P's powerplants. The H is also a smaller target...well, it depends on the angle, but it's definitely a little shorter I think.

The P is clearly a better all-rounder in most other respects, though.

I'm still going with the H for authenticity's sake and because it leads to better things than the P.

Gaslight on
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited February 2012
    I think this is going to be my top exp earner for a while (in my 2801):

Xpjrq.jpg

http://www.mediafire.com/?y23vdajmjhjys9e

A duck! on
    That's how I feel about Lowes. I'm dating myself by saying that though.

edited February 2012
    [Edit] DERP. See below for real T20 awesomeness.

ArcticLancer on
  • MegaPureiboiMegaPureiboi Registered User regular
    Finally bought some more gold, and saved up enough to get the Tiger, I'm liking it so far.

Xbox Live: Keml0
    Steam: Kemlo
    The Tiger with its proper turret and the long 88 seems pretty nice. There's pretty much never a time when I feel like I can't at least do some damage and be competitive, except when I'm bottom tank.

Of course, when I'm top tank, I invariably seem to get a team made up of helpless pushovers, but I'm probably imagining that...

• breton-brawlerbreton-brawler Registered User regular
    Probably the best I can ever hope to do in a T20 right here, for anyone interested. This was a really tense match for me, and I hope at least one of you can be bothered to watch it and relive the glory.
    mediafire.com/?ifisj8pd0al9056

oh man, there are days in the T20 where that replay happens over and over and over :P

After playing my ARL 44 I really like using the T20, feels like my tank has a rocket booster.

edited February 2012
    Probably the best I can ever hope to do in a T20 right here, for anyone interested. This was a really tense match for me, and I hope at least one of you can be bothered to watch it and relive the glory.
    mediafire.com/?ifisj8pd0al9056

oh man, there are days in the T20 where that replay happens over and over and over :P

After playing my ARL 44 I really like using the T20, feels like my tank has a rocket booster.

I uploaded the wrong replay. Herp-derp ...
    For actual epic matches, see here:
    mediafire.com/?p1cnitopa1fi9o5

My apologies to everyone who watched the wrong replay and wasted the time.

[Edit]
    A few games later I broke my best game ever record with a 2,100ish game in the T20. I don't even know how ... but yeah, apparently I'm just rocking this thing.

ArcticLancer on
    edited February 2012
    I wondered about the replay, but decided you were being ironic and that it was hilarious.

I like how when you drive up to assrape the AMX on the hill, his reaction is to back up and keep shooting across the map. My guess is he wasn't paying attention and thought something had hit him from the front.

I also like how oblivious the Tiger at your base is when you first show up.

Gaslight on
  • kildykildy Registered User regular
    I adore the T20. I oddly dislike the Pershing however. It feels like a slower T20, and the armor increase only really matters if you want to play assault tank if you're top of the match. My T20 is all over the map punishing anyone who overextends on the other hand.

• The DermThe Derm Registered User regular
    This bodes well for me.
    I have the T20 unlocked, but I need the credits for my Panther first.

Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position
    Such a heavy burden now to be the one
    Born to bare and read to all the details of our ending
    To write it down for all the world to see
    But I forgot my pen...
  • OgotaiOgotai Registered User regular
    T20 is great, its an E8 that can actually hurt things.

Also, the rocket booster is actually an exclusive feature of the T-50-3 which will be unveiled in patch 7.3. That's stock, mind you. Fully upgraded, it will be able to teleport directly to the midst of the enemy team's artillery.

• The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    I haven't played this since the demo, would I be out of my league or can I hop in and have a leeeetle fun? no carry-over from way back when?

• kildykildy Registered User regular
    I haven't played this since the demo, would I be out of my league or can I hop in and have a leeeetle fun? no carry-over from way back when?

You should be able to enjoy yourself. Some low tier fights may be a bit frustrating due to some of the high armor tanks, but overall it's still pretty solid through most tiers.

The main change I've noticed is that the bulk of the playerbase either flanks or packs better guns. The tanks I recall being monsters on release are just meh now. IS's aren't really scary anymore.

edited February 2012
    Keep getting a "Failed to connect to update service" error when trying to start the game right now. Don't see anything about scheduled downtime.

7.2 incoming? :? D: 8->

Edit: Finally got an update but it was tiny. Still says 7.1. :(

Gaslight on
    7.2 isn't even on Russian test, so I wouldn't get your hopes up yet.

• SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    Thank god too, I've still got like 35k to grind out on my T32.

It's kind of too bad. If I had expected it to take as long as it has, I probably could have gotten a T34 before 7.2 as well. At this point though ... no way. But I don't really mind. Mediums are where I excel anyway. Now, only God knows when they'll touch something besides heavies and new tanks, huh?

Now, only God knows when they'll touch something besides heavies and new tanks, huh?

And new maps, and cosmetic camo. Basically they love adding shit to the game that has marginal impact on the way it actually plays. I will give them credit for doing something a bit different with the French tanks, at least. But some new game modes would sure be welcome....

Now, only God knows when they'll touch something besides heavies and new tanks, huh?

And new maps, and cosmetic camo. Basically they love adding shit to the game that has marginal impact on the way it actually plays. I will give them credit for doing something a bit different with the French tanks, at least. But some new game modes would sure be welcome....

Mmmm, true that, Bro.

• HaneninjaHaneninja Registered User regular

Thats true with most free to play games. Vanity items are just how they turn a buck.

Haneninja wrote:

Thats true with most free to play games. Vanity items are just how they turn a buck.

Sure, and for the camo and the occasional premium tank they've been putting in that makes sense, even if it is sort of disappointing. But they've been adding quite a few new standard tanks and maps as well, which is just free content that's not really adding a great deal to the game. Not to mention the fact that some of the existing maps and tanks have serious problems and could stand to be reworked before they go adding new ones.

edited February 2012
    They have reworked a few maps (mines, erlenberg, karelia, komarin). Though even then some of those are still total shit (komarin), and some they still refuse do anything with (malinovka). Though I guess Swamp is a "fixed" version of komarin, its still bad but the bigger crime is that komarin still exist (can you tell I hate that one the most?)

Ogotai on
    Ogotai wrote:
    They have reworked a few maps (mines, karelia, komarin). Though even then some of those are still total shit (komarin), and some they still refuse do anything with (malinovka). Though I guess Swamp is a "fixed" version of komarin, its still bad but the bigger crime is that komarin still exist (can you tell I hate that one the most?)

Yeah, Komarin is the one I had most in mind. Karelia and Mines are a bit better these days, though I still kind of dislike Karelia. Basically I think it's a terrible idea in any map to set up one of the lanes as a swampy deathtrap. Or any kind of deathtrap, actually, because the best-case scenario is that it just bogs down play. More often one team ends up losing because dumbasses lemming into it to die. Lakeville gets a little slack here since the village is a broad enough front to support some maneuvering, despite the fact that the valley and mid are both stupid as hell.

My main grip with Komarin is its the most extreme version of the "to advance you need to cross this tiny bottleneck, then this giant ass open field, all in plain view of an area with so much cover a JT can shoot you 5 times and never get spotted" type of level design that the WoT crew seem to love. Which boils down to which ever team has the fewest idiots that move out of cover alone to get sniped before they ever seen the enemy, wins, if its not a draw.

Lakeville gets a little slack here since the village is a broad enough front to support some maneuvering, despite the fact that the valley and mid are both stupid as hell.

I snickered, because I almost always go middle on Lakeville (and everyone always gets mad at me for it). It's funny how big a difference one tank in there can make sometimes, and how you can still so easily lose one of the flanks despite making a decent impact. Lakeville isn't perfect, but I don't think it's terrible, because it offers a weird duality to both sides.

Komarin is entirely terrible though. I also hate El Halluf because of how much the map tends to degrade to "Did we win North? If no, GG." and how hard it can be to do anything effective on other parts of that map after the first 45 seconds of the match.

Lakeville gets a little slack here since the village is a broad enough front to support some maneuvering, despite the fact that the valley and mid are both stupid as hell.

I snickered, because I almost always go middle on Lakeville (and everyone always gets mad at me for it). It's funny how big a difference one tank in there can make sometimes, and how you can still so easily lose one of the flanks despite making a decent impact. Lakeville isn't perfect, but I don't think it's terrible, because it offers a weird duality to both sides.

Komarin is entirely terrible though. I also hate El Halluf because of how much the map tends to degrade to "Did we win North? If no, GG." and how hard it can be to do anything effective on other parts of that map after the first 45 seconds of the match.

El Haluf isn't too terrible, because you can take the cove and accomplish fun things. That said, you have literally two areas of attack (north and cove), and cove is almost completely inaccessible after the first thirty seconds, unless arty blasts things off the hill.

edited February 2012
    Yeah. I think the bottom line is that a good map has to have a combination of sufficient room to maneuver and enough (but not too much) cover. Most of the bad maps have closely-constricted chokepoints, vast wide-open killing fields, or a combination of both. And then there are the city maps, which are fun for most players but suck for arty.

It seems simple enough; I don't get why WG persists in making the same mistakes with map design. My best guess is that they want to inject a sense of variety into the map rotation, but you can't do that at the expense of fun gameplay.

Supraluminal on
    Another 5x XP special coming up on Wednesday, one day only: http://worldoftanks.com/news/1044-200k-facebook-fans/ Save your dubs on Tuesday night, just to be safe!

• minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    T34 boughted. And now I wait. And sloowwwllyy grind up enough credits for an IS-4.

Speaking of, I went through the replay of the T34 match I had today, and it turns out I did about 7700 damage.

G7TKP.jpg

v8z1W.jpg

http://www.mediafire.com/?296pb8om3z3dhvl

Still not a big fan.

Wow, you managed to use all your ammo, I see.

• SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    I laughed so hard when I saw your last shot sail up into the air, unfortunately denying you Fadin's. Laughed even harder when my next shot bounced off the ass of that T29 haha. Still can't believe we won that.

Komarin's just awful.

For anyone who hates Type-59s please enjoy this replay of me abusing the hell out of two of em:

cLxif.jpg

http://www.mediafire.com/?pztdeae5dnfclma

This discussion has been closed.