As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Western Animation thread

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    So, Wreck-it Ralph. Disney movie, this fall, centered on video game characters, etc. Will Disney be doing this right?

bowser_eggman_disney.jpg?w=584
    Scans which have surfaced from the latest Disney animated movie Wreck-It Ralph show that Bowser, Dr. Eggman and Zangief will make a special appearance in the film. The film is apparently about a video game villain who unleashes a powerful enemy from a first-person shooter.

http://mynintendonews.com/2012/02/17/bowser-and-dr-eggman-featuring-in-new-disney-movie/

Yes.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    Dr Robotnik. I still cringe every time I hear Dr Eggman.

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    They didn't even acknowledge Dr. Wily...

• Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    oh, cool, I didn't know they were actually going to use real game characters for the movie.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PA wrote:

Well, Disney's having to coordinate with Capcom. And Capcom's currently pretending that Mega Man doesn't exist.

Alternate answer: that's just one frame. We don't know if there's other people in that group therapy session...

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Hexmage-PA wrote:

Is that really Dr. Wily? I don't see the comically huge mustache.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    PikaPuff wrote:
    I liked princess and the frog. Did it do poorly?

it didn't bomb, but performed far below expectations, as far as I know

there isn't really a market for classic Disney princess movies anymore (girls want something 'edgier', boys don't watch them)

a bit outdated (The Snow Queen is back in production), but
    http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2010/11/23/tangled-may-close-the-book-on-disney-princess-films/

A shame, because I really enjoyed P&tF...though my New Orleans bias may be showing a bit.

We at least got a kickass art show at the NOMA out of it anyway.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    It's sounding like there will be much, much more real-world game stuff in Wreck-It Ralph than just those three in the picture above. From a blog run by the animator's union:
    My morning was spent at the Riverside Drive Hat Building. The word on Wreck-It Ralph is ...

"Animation has been going full bore. Lighting and finaling are getting ready for big ramp ups. There's going to be new people hired next month. ..."

"They had a screening in the hat's first-floor theater yesterday. Iger and Rich Ross were there. They missed some of the lines because of the laughter. There's a lot of gags in it, a lot of referencing of newer video games. The consensus is that the story works and its funny. Now we just have to get it made. This is one of the shortest schedules we've had. ..."

http://animationguildblog.blogspot.com/2012/02/at-diz.html

A Disney-centric forum noted a comment posted on that item that's now apparently deleted:
    I saw parts of 'Ralph' at an open house and I gotta say it looks pretty great with a much better story than 'Megamind'. And all the cameos from known video game characters is really cool.

http://www.dvdizzy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27861&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=260

Hee hee hee...

ralph14.jpg

• Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    eh looks like a cameo. I don't see those guys doing anythinng more than a passing camera shot.

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    i hope boomerang doesn't end up like nick @ nite or tv-land

where the fuck will i watch my old things?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    i hope boomerang doesn't end up like nick @ nite or tv-land

where the fuck will i watch my old things?

Netflix?

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote:
    ...Ben 10's on Boomerang now?

Man, they sure are stretching the definition of "classic." I mean, the show isn't bad, but come on.

Does that channel still air Hanna-Barbara stuff? Cause I consider that to be crap that hasn't aged well at all in the last 50 years.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    I just watched Justice League: Doom.

It was pretty good and I LOVED having all the original JL voices back! And of course, Nathan Fillion as Green lantern does, as with anything he is involved in, an amazing job!

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote:
    cloudeagle wrote:
    ...Ben 10's on Boomerang now?

Man, they sure are stretching the definition of "classic." I mean, the show isn't bad, but come on.

Does that channel still air Hanna-Barbara stuff? Cause I consider that to be crap that hasn't aged well at all in the last 50 years.

the only good thing about Hanna Barbara cartoons is that they inspired parodies like Venture Brothers and Harvey Bird Man(AaL) which are far better shows then the originals ever were or deserve to be.

• Options
    TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    Klyka wrote:

It was pretty good and I LOVED having all the original JL voices back! And of course, Nathan Fillion as Green lantern does, as with anything he is involved in, an amazing job!

How would you rank it among the other recent DC animated films? I'm on the fence if I should buy the movie or just rent it.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Most of the DC animated movies are too short. They really need to be at least 15 to 30 minutes longer.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Tertiee wrote:
    Klyka wrote:

How would you rank it among the other recent DC animated films? I'm on the fence if I should buy the movie or just rent it.

someone I trust said it's just under Crisis on Two Earths in terms of quality.

• Options
    Antimatter wrote:
    Tertiee wrote:
    Klyka wrote:

Ooooh, Crisis on Two Earths was great. Then again, it was originally written as a bridge linking the Justice League and Justice League Unlimited series.

• Options
    BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote:
    Antimatter wrote:
    Tertiee wrote:
    Klyka wrote:

Ooooh, Crisis on Two Earths was great. Then again, it was originally written as a bridge linking the Justice League and Justice League Unlimited series.

Yes, comparisons to Crisis on Two Earths is making me curse Netflix for taking so long to get Doom in and foolishly eyeing the Amazon page for it.

But if I do that, I should probably just pick up Crisis on Two Earths too since I never got around to buying it.

And if I have those, well what about the others. You know, for completion reasons.

And then there's the actual Justice League box sets (and JLU if they ever get around the Blu-Ray-ing those)...

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • Options
    DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular
    Getting down to the finale of Wakfu season 2.

http://www.wakfu.com/fr/serie/medias/video-evenement/286382-episode-24-saison-2-phaeris-puissant

2 dragons fighting! 2 eliotropes fighting! 2 demons and the son of a god fighting! A demon army vs. a mecha army with whale battleships!
    Shit is off the hook! Even if you don't speak French, it's still pretty to look at...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=270Q6geCbmU

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I REALLY need to learn French.

• Options
    Clip from the new Teen Titans. Man, I can't believe they made it all serious and grimdark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RRZkLYWNSo
    :P

• Options
    i
    am
    so
    happy

i love teen titans and i'm glad it's back to business

• Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    is this real?

it actually looks pretty funny, but what's up with the chibi heads

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Reminds me of the Men in Black and Jumanji cartoons.

I think there is an older source for that look.
    is this real?

it looks actually pretty funny, but what's up with the chibi heads

Teen Titans have always had chibi heads. They just didn't have them all the time before.

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    I'm just glad we have a Starfire that I'm not embarrassed by.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    is this real?

it looks actually pretty funny, but what's up with the chibi heads

Yep. It's part of the series of shorts that'll be part of the DC Nation block launching next month.

And if you think that's weird, you should see what Aardman's doing with Batman:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1Ak7ZMIh74

• Options
    It's funny how DC is going all cutesy with its cartoons but then it has things like this in the comics:
    Detective-Comics-1-Cliffhanger-Joker-Doll-Maker-2011.jpg

It's as if DC doesn't want to attract new readers.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    It's funny how DC is going all cutesy with its cartoons but then it has things like this in the comics:

One-That is Detective Comics which was always planned to be one of the darker Batman book.

Two-You really think that kids(7-12 lets say) are a common comic readership anymore. 'Cause let me tell you they arn't.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Two-You really think that kids(7-12 lets say) are a common comic readership anymore. 'Cause let me tell you they arn't.

Which is exactly the problem, and one the New 52 does fuck-all to solve.

• Options
    cloudeagle wrote:

yuuuuuuup
    that, and then there's the starfire thing
    x12lO.png
    so glad that Teen Titans and this Starfire is back.

• Options
    cloudeagle wrote:

You think the problem is a lack of kid friendly books? There are several problems that keep kids away from comics but one of the biggest is that it's near impossible for a kid to get comics on a regular basis. I, for example spent my entire childhood trying to get comic books but there is no easy way. You can only get comics at Comic Book stores instead of in grocery stores and such and there arn't many comic book stores in the first place.

As for appropriate comics if we change the age range to 11-15(which is where DC should be trying to make inroads) then there are a ton of appropriate comics. Justice League, Avengers, Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Amazing and Avenging Spider-man, and Wolverine and the X-men are all PG or PG-13 and that's just in my box.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    Antimatter wrote:
    cloudeagle wrote:

yuuuuuuup
    that, and then there's the starfire thing
    x12lO.png
    so glad that Teen Titans and this Starfire is back.

How has the Smallvilllefied Green Arrow been doing? I can't think of any cases where changing a piece of written media to make it like a TV show has ever worked.

• Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Bagginses wrote:
    I can't think of any cases where changing a piece of written media to make it like a TV show has ever worked.

Harley Quinn.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    Green Arrow sold 62th in January. Below Redhood and the Outlaws. Starfire being closer to the show(and her original self) probably wouldn't have increased sales but it still should have been done. Because this Starfire sucks.

Look, maybe there should be more kid friendly books but pointing to Detective Comics and saying that is the problem with the comics industry is like pointing to an R-rated movie and taking it as the standard of movies. Detective comics was never meant for kids and is written as such and that's ok. All comics don't need to be.

To bad it also sucks.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Green Arrow sold 62th in January. Below Redhood and the Outlaws. Starfire being closer to the show(and her original self) probably wouldn't have increased sales but it still should have been done. Because this Starfire sucks.

Look, maybe there should be more kid friendly books but pointing to Detective Comics and saying that is the problem with the comics industry is like pointing to an R-rated movie and taking it as the standard of movies. Detective comics was never meant for kids and is written as such and that's ok. All comics don't need to be.

To bad it also sucks.

Yeah, Starfire is pretty bad. She's a "model" without any glamorous Paris fashion week issues and with very lax views on sex. It's like somebody wanted to write a prostitute with a heart of gold character without having to deal with the fallout of saying that a powerful woman (and role model) is a whore.

• Options
    Bagginses wrote:

To bad it also sucks.

Yeah, Starfire is pretty bad. She's a "model" without any glamorous Paris fashion week issues and with very lax views on sex. It's like somebody wanted to write a prostitute with a heart of gold character without having to deal with the fallout of saying that a powerful woman (and role model) is a whore.

Some people have tried to convince me that the latter issues completely turn her around as a character and reveal that her actions were the result of something being done to her.

To which I reply who the hell cares? I'm sorry if you deliver a just terrible first issue I'm not obligated to give you more of my money to see where you are going.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Bagginses wrote:

To bad it also sucks.

Some people have tried to convince me that the latter issues completely turn her around as a character and reveal that her actions were the result of something being done to her.

To which I reply who the hell cares? I'm sorry if you deliver a just terrible first issue I'm not obligated to give you more of my money to see where you are going.

That seems a bit like saying that they've turned Superman into a villain after seeing a superdickery cover. I mean, you don't have to buy the issue, but you can't really say that they've messed up a character by having a hook based on her acting out of character (although not that far out of character, as the description I posted is of her pre-52 characterization).

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Regarding the Starfire issue, the writer should have known better than to make that the first impression we got of her in the new universe so I don't have any sympathy for him even if he rectifies it in later issues.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options

One-That is Detective Comics which was always planned to be one of the darker Batman book.

And it's becoming way too dark, violent, and gory. It wasn't a huge stretch to go from Batman: TAS to Knightfall or No Man's Land but now the jump in violence and gore from Young Justice to the comics is way too much.

That's the problem. If DC is going to make all these cartoons for kids of that age group then why not try to get all those viewers to start reading comics.

This discussion has been closed.