As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Great Achievements in PA Gaming: The Rebirth: Finally Updated!

• Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    I used to drive around setting up free Mario Kart challenges at Lan parties and gaming conventions. First to 10 wins with a top prize of $1K.

www.mario-kart.net/challenge (if its still up)

So, the early rules said you had to be beaten to seven by 2. What if they got there, but only by one?

yalborap on
  • Options
    Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Its like tennis, you play until someone IS ahead by 2.

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Its like tennis, you play until someone IS ahead by 2.

Ahhh.

Sounds fun.

yalborap on
  • Options
    ForgottenVariableForgottenVariable Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    I beat the F-zero gx story mode on very hard. I will forever have the last mission's track burned into my mind.

ForgottenVariable on
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    mtvcdm wrote:
    Pretty much the only cool thing I can do is beat the speeder bike level in Battletoads without dying.

I also beat Ghouls and Ghosts on the Genesis.

Yeah I suck.
    I'm not much better- from what I've heard, I'm positive several people have probably managed to pull this off- but mine from the original thread is taking two WarioWare Original games to terminal velocity (meaning, the game can't go any faster). Spunky Monkey to 100, and Button Masher to 301.

Since then, I came in 2nd in a Soul Calibur tourney (my first tournament). Thing was, I'd never picked up a Dreamcast before that day.

That is really good for your first time playing the game on an entirely new system. I take it that your were already familiar with the arcade game before you entered the tournament?

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    davidbarrydavidbarry Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    The only thing I've done worth mentioning is get 5.8 million points on Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved. I have also broken into the top 100 for the original Geometry wars, with a little over 1 million points.

davidbarry on
    davidbarry.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    yalborap wrote:
    Well, their living weapons have their own history. Mine is just an offshoot of that damn familiar from SotN.

Ohhh okay, I was probably thinking of Soul Edge or subconsciously tying it in with the title of the first game of the Soul Calibur series. That makes a lot more sense now, especially as Soul Calibur has a lot of history behind the weapons from what I have seen. Not that I am really all that familiar with Symphony of the Night but I assume it is pretty similar to the weapons in Dawn of Sorrow after you have a soul infused in them. Although it sounds like this is a specific weapon that you pick up instead of create from what you describe. I may have to go back and play that eventually though as I really liked Dawn of Sorrow. Also, something tells me that you probably have some kind of accomplishment worthy of mention that you could post about from this game if nothing else. I mean, given that you got this hidden sword and spent the time to write up this thesis about the weapons and all.

Rehab on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Rehab wrote:
    yalborap wrote:
    Well, their living weapons have their own history. Mine is just an offshoot of that damn familiar from SotN.

Ohhh okay, I was probably thinking of Soul Edge or subconsciously tying it in with the title of the first game of the Soul Calibur series. That makes a lot more sense now, especially as Soul Calibur has a lot of history behind the weapons from what I have seen. Not that I am really all that familiar with Symphony of the Night but I assume it is pretty similar to the weapons in Dawn of Sorrow after you have a soul infused in them. Although it sounds like this is a specific weapon that you pick up instead of create from what you describe. I may have to go back and play that eventually though as I really liked Dawn of Sorrow. Also, something tells me that you probably have some kind of accomplishment worthy of mention that you could post about from this game if nothing else. I mean, given that you got this hidden sword and spent the time to write up this thesis about the weapons and all.

The hidden sword familiar is really easy to find, and well-documented, which is how I found it. You just break a spot in this one room, and can go into this small room with the sword familiar. It floats around and will attack anything, and after level...50, I believe, you can also wield it as a weapon(but, it won't get any stronger unless it's a familiar instead). And it has a special attack where it cries out "Gather, brother soulblades!". A big ring forms that looks somewhat like a mass of swords, and spreads out, attacking everything on the screen.

The game itself is good, definitely worth getting if you can.

And no, I don't have any achievements of note.

yalborap on
  • Options
    BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Oh man, this is awesome! Woo for revivals!

Anyone have what I wrote last time? I can't remember it all. :oops:

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    BTP wrote:

Your avatar.

It is my favorite pokemon.

We shall have to converse now, so I may know the person behind the blaziken better.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    BTP wrote:

I wish I still had a lot of that stuff from the last thread. From what I recall you had some pretty impressive DS high scores from various games.

Rehab on
  • Options
    jeffcjeffc Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    I've S-ranked all of the songs in Ouendan on insane.

I've also S-ranked every single surgery, including the X-ops, in Trauma Centre.

jeffc on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited July 2006
    A friend and I completed the TimeSplitters: Future Perfect story mode in less than six hours in a single sitting.

That's...actually all I can think of at the moment.

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    jeffc wrote:

And on that note I'm going to update the thread really quick here. Also BTP, do you still have that DS high score thread going on? If you do I can add a link to it somewhere in this thread if you would like.

Rehab on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    yalborap wrote:
    BTP wrote:

Your avatar.

We shall have to converse now, so I may know the person behind the blaziken better.

I did not choose my avatar. It was chosen for me.

[spoiler:ec98377722]Captain K's G&T's PokeRap song. I was the 257th name said in the song, and Blaziken is #257, so now my avatar is a Blaziken.[/spoiler:ec98377722]

BTP on
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!

Nintendo DS:
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    BTP wrote:
    yalborap wrote:
    BTP wrote:

Your avatar.

I did not choose my avatar. It was chosen for me.

[spoiler:94322e4cc1]Captain K's G&T's PokeRap song. I was the 257th name said in the song, and Blaziken is #257, so now my avatar is a Blaziken.[/spoiler:94322e4cc1]

I know. Where do ya think I got my title from, eh? :wink:

But seriously, I need any excuse I can to try and make some friends before I go batshit fucking insane.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Rehab wrote:
    jeffc wrote:

And on that note I'm going to update the thread really quick here. Also BTP, do you still have that DS high score thread going on? If you do I can add a link to it somewhere in this thread if you would like.

No, that's long gone. As soon as the forums went back up, I asked if everyone wanted it again, and I didn't get much response. A couple of people even thought it was unnecessary. :|

BTP on
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!

Nintendo DS:
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Maximo: Ghosts to Glory 100%. I freaking loved that game, too bad the sequel sucked so much.

Darlan on
  • Options
    Charlie_Foxtrot2Charlie_Foxtrot2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    As I mentioned in the last gaming accomplishment thread:

I was playing the first Dave Mirra BMX demo for the PS1, and I believe I did a REALLY LONG GRIND on one of those empty pool things (It was the woodworth course.) and got a like a million or so points. It was awesome. This make me wanna get an PS1 and play that game.

Charlie_Foxtrot2 on
    logo%20graf%201.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Darlan wrote:
    Maximo: Ghosts to Glory 100%. I freaking loved that game, too bad the sequel sucked so much.

Seething rage and envy. I barely beat the first boss.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    BTP wrote:
    Rehab wrote:
    jeffc wrote:

No, that's long gone. As soon as the forums went back up, I asked if everyone wanted it again, and I didn't get much response. A couple of people even thought it was unnecessary. :|

Well those people don't know what the fuck they are talking about, I thought it was a cool thread. I guess I could always do something similar to that with this thread though if we get enough DS scores. Still if you ever decide to remake that thread just let me know.

Rehab on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited July 2006
    Bam.

dingts5.png

What it's a high score of. And note that I top him by a relatively wide margin. Not that my score is impossible to top (hell, beating the bonus card at the end would probably add another 25 mil at least, but you know, beating that at all is damn accomplishment, let alone with multiple lives in reserve after choking in the home stretch.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    Charlie_Foxtrot2Charlie_Foxtrot2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2006

I was playing the first Dave Mirra BMX demo for the PS1, and I believe I did a REALLY LONG GRIND on one of those empty pool things (It was the woodworth course.) and got a like a million or so points. It was awesome. This make me wanna get an PS1 and play that game.

Rehab did you get this?

Charlie_Foxtrot2 on
    logo%20graf%201.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2006

Rehab did you get this?

Oh, I've just done the first two pages so far. I will add some more posts later after a couple more pages here though. Also, I think I actually remember that post from the other thread as well.

Rehab on
  • Options
    krlkrl Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    999.999 in Lumines.

I also never gave in to the temptation of playing WoW, which I consider quite an achievement.

krl on
  • Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Rehab wrote:
    Wezoin - Beat the first Halo on Heroic difficulty.

I do have to say, it amazes me that that made it onto the list... My parents would be proud.

Wezoin on
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Dang...
    I thought I've done OK, but after looking at this list, just *beating* a game dosen't seem to count for much. ^_^

Frem on
  • Options
    DarkDragoonDarkDragoon Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    The most notable achievement I can think of at the moment is completing the Arena mode of Kirby Super Stars without using any powers or helpers (aside from summoning them to then turn into spit-fodder).

DarkDragoon on
  • Options
    SpikedFreakSpikedFreak Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    I am able to read the text in mlb2k6 for the 360 on a standard def tv :shock:

SpikedFreak on
  • Options
    mr_sweetcandymr_sweetcandy Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    I've beaten Metal Slug 3 without getting hit. I usually end up getting hit at the end of level 5, but I managed to pull it off the once. I have the highscores on the two machines that are in close-proximity to my house.

mr_sweetcandy on
  • Options
    BushmaoriBushmaori Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Lets see here..

Beat God of War on the hardest difficulty.

Got an 18 million point combo in Tony Hawks American Wasteland, which isn't nearly as big as the really good players but it was good for me so meh.

Perfectly synchronised a dance move manual in Tony Hawks 3 with a friend and then the entire map dissapeared.

Won a one hundred lives elimination against max bots on the hardest difficulty of Time Splitters: Future Perfect without losing a life and using baseball bats.

Got 9 million points and reached level 99 on Doctor Robotniks Mean Bean Machine for Genesis.

Bushmaori on
  • Options
    setrajonassetrajonas Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Aroduc wrote:
    Bam.

dingts5.png

What it's a high score of. And note that I top him by a relatively wide margin. Not that my score is impossible to top (hell, beating the bonus card at the end would probably add another 25 mil at least, but you know, beating that at all is damn accomplishment, let alone with multiple lives in reserve after choking in the home stretch.

I've been trying to play the demo for those games, but it's all in japanese when i download the files, and my computer can't render the stuff for some reason. :(

setrajonas on
  • Options
    Ownage JonesOwnage Jones Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Heh, For Street Fighter Alpha 3: World Tour mode, I have

Level 32 Shin Akuma
    Level 32 Evil Ryu
    Level 32 Ken
    Level 32 Akuma
    ...Level 32 R.Mika :oops:

The last one was a bitch. This year, finished Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams, all tests of valor, unlocking the Ryu, Ken, Cammy, Chun-Li and Guile costumes for the characters. All modes/games for Street Fighter Alpha Anthology...old school: Sonic 3 + Kunckles, all gems, emeralds, hyper characters unlocked.

That's it for now. I still say this thread should be stickied. :)

Ownage Jones on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Currently playing: Infamous, Resident Evil 5
    Need to play: Shadow Complex, Uncharted 2, Ratchet and Clank: ACIT, MW2, Alpha Protocol
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Rehab wrote:
    mtvcdm wrote:
    Pretty much the only cool thing I can do is beat the speeder bike level in Battletoads without dying.

I also beat Ghouls and Ghosts on the Genesis.

Yeah I suck.
    I'm not much better- from what I've heard, I'm positive several people have probably managed to pull this off- but mine from the original thread is taking two WarioWare Original games to terminal velocity (meaning, the game can't go any faster). Spunky Monkey to 100, and Button Masher to 301.

Since then, I came in 2nd in a Soul Calibur tourney (my first tournament). Thing was, I'd never picked up a Dreamcast before that day.

That is really good for your first time playing the game on an entirely new system. I take it that your were already familiar with the arcade game before you entered the tournament?
    Nope. Though that was on the convention's show floor, I didn't see it until later. It wasn't ENTIRELY new; my prior experience came from SCII on the Gamecube. (Note: I had Taki and lost to Kilik in the finals.)

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    ZonghuiZonghui Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Wario Ware

Skating Board: 204

Jump Forever: 219

Paper Plane: 199

Zonghui on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    I just finished getting Silent Assassin rating on Professional difficulty in Hitman 2, Hitman: Contracts, and Hitman: Blood Money (except for the Japan missions in Hitman 2 since I don't hate myself that much).

I've also gotten as close as is possible to ghosting Splinter Cell 3 on the hardest difficulty while getting 100% on every mission. Ghosting involves no alerts, no knocked out or killed guards, and, ideally, no destroyed lights or distracted guards. As close to a perfect run of the game as you can get, basically. But since the game was obviously not designed with such things in mind, it was necessary to at least distract guards and remove lights (with the OCP at the very least) in many instances, and some guards have to be knocked out to complete mission objectives required to get 100% or even to progress without getting seen and subsequently killed, like the bombs in the Bath House.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    You're a sexy beast for having my stuff saved.

Henroid on
  • Options
    HerschelHerschel Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    I have gotten to and beaten the Master Levels on Super Monkey Ball 1 and 2.
    I also ascended in NetHack. Probably one of my prouder moments :D
    All trophies in SSBM, too.

Herschel on
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    I don't know if it's a big accomplishment, but I have three stars on every training mission, grand prix, and have beat every single staff ghost by at least 5 seconds in Mario Kart:DS.

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited July 2006
    setrajonas wrote:
    Aroduc wrote:
    Bam.

[ig]http://img346.imageshack.us/img346/1619/dingts5.png[/img]

I've been trying to play the demo for those games, but it's all in japanese when i download the files, and my computer can't render the stuff for some reason. :(

Huh? All of the directories that I have are in English...
    Regardless, you should be able to get around that by setting Windows to use Japanese as its regional setting thing (Control Panel: Regional and Language, then set it to Japanese in the default window and advanced, then re-unzip the file). You wouldn't be able to play that stage on the demo, but you would still be able to play in Lunatic mode, which is about the same difficulty, if not slightly higher since three stages of it is longer than the one giant stage of it.

Aroduc on