Don't like the snow? You can make a bookmark with the following text instead of a url: javascript:snowStorm.toggleSnow(). Clicking it will toggle the snow on and off.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

PA Comic: Wednesday, February 22nd- The Flashpoint

Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited February 2012 in The Penny Arcade Hub
i-psbNPSp-L.jpg

Steam name: munkus_beaver
Blizzard thing: munkus#1952
Nintendo ID (3DS thinger): 0619-4510-9772
Please give to the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America: http://www.ccfa.org/
Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process.
«1

Posts

  • QuidQuid The Fifth Horseman Registered User regular
    ZHOWWN

    PSN: allenquid
  • ThreeCubedThreeCubed Registered User
    edited February 2012
    srwFd.jpg

    ThreeCubed on
    EyQGd.jpg
  • gomaaagomaaa Registered User
    There is an entire web-series in France devoted to this principle: thevisitorfromthefuture.com

  • NeuroskepticNeuroskeptic Registered User regular
    Love how future cyber-Gabe still wears the same shirt.

  • DelzhandDelzhand motivated battle programmerRegistered User regular
    As far as time-travel goes, I think stopping your past self from going to Taco Bell is a pretty worthwhile use.

    jk0Btsj.png
  • jackaljackal Registered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »
    As far as time-travel goes, I think stopping your past self from going to Taco Bell is a pretty worthwhile use.

    At least in my case the response would be, "I know what I'm getting into."

  • EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    Margarazzi wrote:
    srwFd.jpg

    Why does everyone do this? Harry Potter operates on Time Loop theory; they never saw Buckbeak's death.

    Oddly, I was just thinking about this sort of thing earlier this morning. Well, not that oddly, I think about it a lot.

    EmperorSeth.png
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah Registered User regular
    Problem is they live in a world with magic, where they know there is magic to bring stuff back from the dead. Like it's in different books at several times if I recall. Avada Kedavra must be like, the "Destroy Target. Can not be regenerated" spell of the universe.

    Oh right, time travel comic. I liked it. I like the sensory mod that future Gabe has.

    YRIfidu.gif]
    status.php?streamuser=KoopahTroopah - Steam - Battle.net
    3583-0010-1507 - Smash Bros 3DS
    KoopahTroopah - Smash Bros WiiU
  • KalTorakKalTorak Registered User regular
    Quid wrote:
    ZHOWWN

    Or NMMOHZ

    I can't tell which

  • KalTorakKalTorak Registered User regular
    Margarazzi wrote:
    srwFd.jpg

    Why does everyone do this? Harry Potter operates on Time Loop theory; they never saw Buckbeak's death.

    Oddly, I was just thinking about this sort of thing earlier this morning. Well, not that oddly, I think about it a lot.

    Also there's no way to travel forward; they'd have to go back 14 years, save Harry's parents, and then stick around in the past forever.

  • singinhobosinginhobo Registered User
    Awwwwww. Future Gabe is a lazy effort.

  • marsiliesmarsilies Registered User regular
    Commenting on the newspost:

    The briefcase in Pulp Fiction is a homage/rip-off of the briefcase in Kiss Me Deadly, a 1955 film noir. The car trunk in Repo Man is a Kiss Me Deadly reference as well.
    http://www.avclub.com/articles/kiss-me-deadly,48753/

    Raiders may or may not have been referencing Kiss Me Deadly; there's biblical references for the Ark killing those that looked in it, but the visual portrayal in the film may have been inspired by Kiss Me Deadly:
    http://www.rationalchristianity.net/touch_ark.html

  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    I gave that Stephen King book to someone for Christmas this year, though I haven't read it myself.

    ae26.jpg
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    singinhobo wrote:
    Awwwwww. Future Gabe is a lazy effort.

    the fact that he has a cyborg face and nothing else is different is the joke.

  • JormungandrJormungandr Registered User regular
    Lars wrote:
    I gave that Stephen King book to someone for Christmas this year, though I haven't read it myself.

    It's actually pretty good. I hadn't read a Stephen King book in a while and picked it up. It's got some references to prior books in it, and such, but it stands reasonably well on its own. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

    Also anybody else think of Bard's Tale III whenever they see chronomancy? Just me? Okay.

  • CandymancerCandymancer Registered User regular
    Love how future cyber-Gabe still wears the same shirt.

    The silver pacman future jumpsuit was in the wash.

  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Makes me want some Fries Quatro Queso Dos Fritos.

    zappsigsm.jpg
    Amazon wish list | Please check out my wife's blog and jewelry store.
  • KalTorakKalTorak Registered User regular
    I too am considering eating some kind of brick today.

  • jackaljackal Registered User regular
    Sorry Harry, but no one wants to turn the time turner 120,000 times. That's asking a bit much.

  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    KalTorak wrote:
    I too am considering eating some kind of brick today.

    Brick_commercial_-_closeup.jpg

    zappsigsm.jpg
    Amazon wish list | Please check out my wife's blog and jewelry store.
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard Registered User regular
    Regarding the news post:
    Does Tycho have a bunch of aliases, or is he taking credit for others' work? In the links he's posted, they all are done by people with different names.

    steam_sig.png
    NNID - bejamus | ESO - (at)guinneapig
  • FandeathisFandeathis Registered User regular
    Pretty sure Sirlin wrote the newspost dude.

    You fuck wit' Die Antwoord, you fuck wit' da army.
  • GabrielGabriel Registered User, ClubPA, Penny Arcade Staff, PAX Staff staff
    Langly wrote:
    singinhobo wrote:
    Awwwwww. Future Gabe is a lazy effort.

    the fact that he has a cyborg face and nothing else is different is the joke.

    Thank You

  • guyincorporatedguyincorporated Registered User new member
    What's the Stephen King book? I just finished Under the Dome which was surprisingly awesome.

  • GabrielGabriel Registered User, ClubPA, Penny Arcade Staff, PAX Staff staff
    the book is 11/22/63 and it is rad!

  • FandeathisFandeathis Registered User regular
    Oh wow, I just saw it at Barnes and Noble this morning. I was thinking about picking it up, but didn't want to spend the money. I guess I should have!

    You fuck wit' Die Antwoord, you fuck wit' da army.
  • LucreelLucreel Registered User regular
    The first paradox of time travel: Even if you can time travel, you can't change anything you *want* to change - you can only change things accidentally, and then, only if it doesn't affect you. (Possible variation - you might be able to change things which you strictly decide *after* travelling to the past, that you want to change - e.g. you travel to the past and see someone being attacked and decide to stop them from being killed, but that is not the reason you time travelled in the first place).

    Why? Let's look at this comic as an example:

    The only reason future Gabe can tell present Gabe not to eat at Taco Bell is *because he ate at Taco Bell* and wants to change the result. But, if he succeeded in changing the result, he'd never eat at Taco Bell, and therefor, would not have the desire to Time Travel to tell himself not to eat at Taco Bell.

    Only possible way out that I can think of to resolve this paradox is if "present Gabe", right now, resolves to travel back to the past (that is, the present right now) when he gets to the future, to give himself the message again, despite NOT having eaten at Taco Bell.

  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    My future self would likely just have a slightly fuller beard and maybe a couple more random scars/scabs.

    I can't even recall where most of them come from in the present.

  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    Lucreel wrote:
    The first paradox of time travel: Even if you can time travel, you can't change anything you *want* to change - you can only change things accidentally, and then, only if it doesn't affect you. (Possible variation - you might be able to change things which you strictly decide *after* travelling to the past, that you want to change - e.g. you travel to the past and see someone being attacked and decide to stop them from being killed, but that is not the reason you time travelled in the first place).

    Why? Let's look at this comic as an example:

    The only reason future Gabe can tell present Gabe not to eat at Taco Bell is *because he ate at Taco Bell* and wants to change the result. But, if he succeeded in changing the result, he'd never eat at Taco Bell, and therefor, would not have the desire to Time Travel to tell himself not to eat at Taco Bell.

    Only possible way out that I can think of to resolve this paradox is if "present Gabe", right now, resolves to travel back to the past (that is, the present right now) when he gets to the future, to give himself the message again, despite NOT having eaten at Taco Bell.

    Timescape by Benford has an interesting take on this.

    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • jackaljackal Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Or multiple timelines. Future Gabe has created a new timeline where past Gabe will not have been disappointed by sub-par ranch sauce, but he's now stuck in the new timeline. He's permanently disappeared from the original future and is gone forever. If he returns to the future there will already be a future Gabe there (assuming he doesn't also choose to go back to the past at that very moment), but this future Gabe has had significantly less fast food triggered gurgle bum.

    In general this prevents all paradoxes but causes time travel to be generally useless with the one exception I can think of being Terra Nova (and even that is morally questionable).

    jackal on
  • SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    Time travel: Fun for a good fantasy or sci-fi book, terrible when you actually try to analyze it. Which is why I leave it to the hands of authors who can use it properly. Properly can mean seriously, comedically, or both.

    Steam ID - Syphyreal --- 3DS Friend Code: 2723-9387-1002
  • QuidQuid The Fifth Horseman Registered User regular
    Love how future cyber-Gabe still wears the same shirt.

    Pfft. Current Gabe still wears the same shirt.

    PSN: allenquid
  • GabrielGabriel Registered User, ClubPA, Penny Arcade Staff, PAX Staff staff
    if you want a great time travel book check out this one. http://www.amazon.com/Time-Travelers-Never-Jack-McDevitt/dp/0441017630/ref=sr_1_7?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1329943567&sr=1-7

    it is a time machine that can only go forward. So no paradox! very fun read.

  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    In the year 252525, the backwards time machine still won't have arrived...

    Speaking of over-analyzing time travel, if you want to be amused sometime, look up some of the competing theories Futurama fans have come up with to explain how time travel works in the "Futurama universe" based on that episode...complete with illustrative charts and graphs.

    Gaslight on
    1Slimus.jpg
  • FramlingFramling Registered User regular
    The paradox thing always bugs me because I can't see a way it could ever come about. Either you can change the past, or you can't.

    Let's assume you can't: you don't have to worry, because nothing can stop you from getting in that time machine when the time comes.

    Now let's assume you can: as soon as you go back in time, you've branched off a separate timeline that doesn't give a shit about whether you go back in time in it.

    you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

    their = belonging to them
    there = not here
    they're = they are
  • GolemGolem Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I enjoyed the comic mostly because this is generally what I would do after eating at taco bell. Fast food tex-mex sounds good on paper but its always infinity better to just go to a sit down place that serves better Mexican or make it yourself.

    I wasn't noticing anywhere to comment on the article that Jerry wrote, I feel incomplete agreement with him on the points he made. I even read all 11 pages of the forum he linked to, some decent points are made back and forth but ultimately I have to agree with Jerry. Being able to patent minute game mechanics would only hinder innovation, and that's not something we should be encouraging.

    Also I was going to say how I think the CEO was being kind of a public D-bag, but then he thinks he is sticking up for a friend that was wronged. And I've been a bigger dick on the internet for a hell of alot less.

    Golem on
  • jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    marsilies wrote: »
    Commenting on the newspost:

    The briefcase in Pulp Fiction is a homage/rip-off of the briefcase in Kiss Me Deadly, a 1955 film noir. The car trunk in Repo Man is a Kiss Me Deadly reference as well.
    http://www.avclub.com/articles/kiss-me-deadly,48753/

    Raiders may or may not have been referencing Kiss Me Deadly; there's biblical references for the Ark killing those that looked in it, but the visual portrayal in the film may have been inspired by Kiss Me Deadly:
    http://www.rationalchristianity.net/touch_ark.html

    Everything QT does is a rip off of something. Oh sorry... "homage".

    As for time machines, either they don't exist, or everyone in the future is some kind of goddamn dick. I mean seriously, can't ONE person go back in time and say, kill Hitler?? Nobody? DICKS.

  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Golem wrote:
    I enjoyed the comic mostly because this is generally what I would do after eating at taco bell. Fast food tex-mex sounds good on paper but its always infinity better to just go to a sit down place that serves better Mexican or make it yourself.

    Same with anything else that gets the fast food treatment really. Fast food Italian also sounds good in theory but all you have to do is go to a Fazoli's to find out otherwise.

    I see it as being the Taco Bell equivalent with Italian food anyway, although you do at least get free breadsticks I guess.

    Gabriel wrote:

    Timeline by Michael Crichton was pretty great too, which I actually recall you or Jerry discussing in a positive light in one of the podcasts. As far as the book is concerned anyway, that game did look terrible.

    Rehab on
  • I like the time travel stories where people go back and affect the past, but their presence causes events to happen they already did. So say someone went back and just did whatever they wanted to do, or tried to stay out of the way, or didn't care either way, they were always part of the history of that world and everything they did already had an effect. They just didn't realize it before they went back and time and did it.

    I feel that explanation is kind of funky.

    Pb6cUzZ.pngTeRnRlj.pnglBMZaaL.pnglm0oV4l.pngsw4UHsU.png
«1
Sign In or Register to comment.