As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Tribes] Ascend. - Updating OP, steamgroup listed for coordinating matches together!

• Options
    Geese_PantsGeese_Pants Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    neil5280 wrote:
    Just played a few rounds with Baidol and Kaorti. It was nice seeing the friendly green chevrons over people's heads. It's a bit tough to coordinate actions without voice though, and I think it will be a lot more fun to play with PA folks once we have that worked out.

On my end, I have Skype if people do want to get a group chat going during a game.

Also, if you want to launch from in Steam, so others can see when you're playing here's the info (Win 7):

Games Menu --> Add non-steam game

Target: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Hi-Rez Studios\HiRezLauncherUI.exe" game=200 product=10

Start In: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Hi-Rez Studios\"

Use vent, my room has about 20+ people in it talking shit at any given moment. Also LAN it up. I've got 4 rigs here (weakest one is an AMD quad at 4.0ghz with 16gb RAM and SLI 470's) and people hang out here.

That all said, communication isn't all that important. With regeneration, and the generator not mattering for much, it's more about raw killing ability than it is about tactics. At best communication will help you stick together and thus raise the speed at which you drop fools, but don't think coordination is going to do much for you outside of that. The guys are going to spawn with all their guns, every vehicle is easy to solo, some classes and weapons just don't cut it.

Worry about raw frag skill, tactics don't matter much. The only tactic you need is the flag D, offense, and dedicated capper spread. Set before (6/4/2) comms don't matter. It's mostly used now for screwing with people. We lamed up a server last night and OT'd the hell out of it to lame cap at the last second and each picked someone to get a spree on. Name of the game, you can only kill ONE person on the other team, first guy to do that 10 times wins. We weren't on the same teams either, and not on the same servers as well. You have to do something to add a challenge. Though snipers = you win at this game fast.

And as for dropping fools, you're goal should be able to handle a 3 vs 1 easily and fast against new players, and limit duels if you can. Always kill a vehicle when given the chance as it's a free frag and tosses them off. Finally strictly avoid bad class match ups and know when to suicide and then swap class and get back there to ice the fucker. You shouldn't be getting killed outside of you vs many. Suicide out and go back, it's faster. Setting your weapons prior helps with this. I often get the first two hits in with a heavy, suicide, get back with the light to a multi person flag and clean up shop, suicide again, get back with a mid and check what's up.

You don't need the inventory station and thus don't need the generator, suicide like crazy and face rape the other team. Suicide is the most powerful tool you have.

Geese_Pants on
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Geese, you talk a lot.

One of these days you will be on at the same time as I am and I will see you with my own eyes.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    neil5280neil5280 Registered User regular
    Looks like Geese found trouble for having an alternate account. Can't say I'll miss that profile.

I think communication will be fairly important for actually pulling off a flag toss as shown in the trailer video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjBC3mgNMW0#t=47s

See the 50 second mark.

Beyond that, I don't discount the ability to reliably chat with the same people in fostering the kind of community I'd like to be a part of. Perhaps you don't need to chat if you want to be a no-friends frag machine, but I want to get to know people and be able to enjoy maybe meeting them at PAX.

• Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    Ahh. Perhaps things can return to our normal status of Jolly Cooperation now.

So has there been any word on new maps or vehicles? I've seen some kind of transport or bomber type thing on that one preview video (at the end) and I'm hoping we see that soonish. I'd also REALLY like a desert map. Skiing across smooth sand dunes and battling inside pyrimid bases would be amazing.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    just fyi, we have a pa ventrilo server, should be stickied at the top of g&t, it should be easy to accommodate for 10-20 people playing tribes

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    Oh sweet! I didn't know that. So we just join that general PA vent server and make / join the tribes channel I guess?

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    DarkMecha wrote:
    Oh sweet! I didn't know that. So we just join that general PA vent server and make / join the tribes channel I guess?
    just join a game on channel and out the game in your comment. Vent is for winners.

The thread title amuses me.

• Options
    SilvanosSilvanos Registered User regular
    Hey guys, been off the forums for a few years. Just got the beta. Glad to see there's a thread!

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    when did they make the bolt launcher good

like, it's now a faster projectile and it does more damage

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    You're not the only one to notice.

Been seeing that weapon everywhere nowadays.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Am I the only one who can't get his cursor in the menus?

EDIT: Hrm, drivers probably - the entire game is black and grey textures. Restarting!

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    Are there still keys flying around here? I haven't played Tribes since the release of 2 (and the problems it had). But it looks like this is pretty ding dong dang fun.

• Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    if you like them on facebook i think they give you a key, otherwise i think i have like 7 at this point piled up so i can give you one when i get home

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    if you like them on facebook i think they give you a key, otherwise i think i have like 7 at this point piled up so i can give you one when i get home

You are the best kind of person. If you remember, fantastic! If not, I will try the facebook route.

• Options
    Yeah I just went and liked them on facebook and got one instantly. They have an app for it for crying out loud!

http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    BeefersBeefers Registered User regular
    So I just got into the beta. Is there anything essential I should know to maximize my enjoyment? Thanks.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Hold the ski button down, don't let go unless you're really sure you want to stop.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    The latest bitchfest reminded me that there's a sniper rifle in this game. I might start playing again just for the glorified skeet shooting. 2 pixels tall, a mile away, and moving 200 kmh. Challenge accepted.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    i5, 16GB, GTX 570. Latest drivers.

Help meeeeee.

QRhZc.jpg

EDIT: Found the support tool. Will run validation to see if it works.

EDIT-2: FIXED By reinstalling.

Aumni on
  • Options
    nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    Beefers wrote:
    So I just got into the beta. Is there anything essential I should know to maximize my enjoyment? Thanks.

Try different classes until you find one you like. Not everyone needs to be running flags at 300km/h. Don't be afraid to spend some time in Target Practice in the Tutorials. The weapons in TA don't feel like any other game's, including past Tribes (although they are close)

If you want to get good at dueling, I would recommend playing Team Deathmatch since you'll spend the entire match skiing and shooting. Also, stay away from the Heavy Armor until you are comfortable with the jetpack.

• Options
    Ash-HousewaresAsh-Housewares TARDIS Hunter Registered User regular
    Aumni wrote:
    i5, 16GB, GTX 570. Latest drivers.

Help meeeeee.

QRhZc.jpg

EDIT: Found the support tool. Will run validation to see if it works.

I had this same problem too. The validation fixed me right up =)

RE: The Voice Stuff. Any time I'm on and playing (as 'Lanson') I'm on the PA Mumble Server (as 'Ash').

• Options
    I had to re-download it, but it's fixed now.

• Options
    eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    I just have to ask... never having played the original Tribes... is it just me, or is Tribes Ascend very close to Unreal Tournament 2004, or was Unreal Tournament 2004 very close to the original Tribes? I'm talking about the mode with vehicles in both games...

Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    eobet wrote:
    I just have to ask... never having played the original Tribes... is it just me, or is Tribes Ascend very close to Unreal Tournament 2004, or was Unreal Tournament 2004 very close to the original Tribes? I'm talking about the mode with vehicles in both games...
    UT2k4 was a Tribes ripoff without jetpacks.

• Options
    nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    The original Starseige: Tribes came out in 1998 and blew my mind in high school. It was multiplayer only which was really weird at the time, and later the outrage over Quake 3 was lost on me. I can't remember what the max player count was. I think 64 and certain mods that took it up to 128? Or was it 256?

Quake 2 came out shortly before it and Starcraft and the first Unreal came out the same year. That was a good time to be a kid. Halo was hot on its heels almost 4 years later with 16 player matches :P

• Options
    eobet wrote:

http://www.hirezstudios.com/hirezwp/?p=106
    Tribes: Ascend, developed using the Unreal 3 engine,...

UT 2004 used the Unreal 2 Engine. I'm not sure how similar the Unreal 2 and Unreal 3 engines are, but it's no surprise that Tribes: Ascend feels a little like an Unreal Tournament game, it has Unreal in its makeup.

• Options
    Engine and gameplay are two entirely separate things.

• Options
    Glal wrote:

I think they're related.

The engine is like dough, and the gameplay (style, gravity, vehicles) is like ingredients, and the feel of the game, that's the taste when it comes out of the oven. You can have pizza dough, or bread dough, or cookie dough. You can add all kinds of ingredients. What comes out of the oven is only going to feel and taste so different from the dough you started with.

You can start with cookie dough, and add tomato sauce, cheese, and meat, but it's always going to taste like a cookie, a weird cookie, but a cookie.

Anyway, the OP didn't make clear if they were talking about the gameplay or the feel of the game. It's all splitting hairs really. I'm just trying to point out that there's at least one good reason why they might feel the same. There may be many others.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    neil5280 wrote:
    Glal wrote:
    I think they're related.
    Just as a quick example, the following games all use the same engine as UT2004:
    Bioshock
    Deus Ex: Invisible War
    Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
    Lineage II
    Red Steel
    Thief: Deadly Shadows
    Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell

I don't really consider any of them to feel like UT2004, or even one another. To the detriment of something like Bioshock, even, since its shooter mechanics were arguably its weakest part. I imagine the "feel" simply comes from the fact that there just aren't any fast-paced competitive shooters with vehicle mechanics left. Thanks to the most popular ones being console-based they're all much, much slower paced to compensate for the input.

Glal on
  • Options
    da newbda newb New York, New YorkRegistered User regular
    Does anyone what what the damage of the bolt launcher is compared to the spinfusor? I find that I can dodge spinfusor shots sometimes, but a bolt will hit you instantly. I'm fine with this if the difference in damage is appropriate. Unfortunately, I'm too poor to have a bolt launcher yet.

Also, I think that they should increase the damage reduction over distance against stationary defense objects. For example, I can just sit around and shoot spinfusors from across the map at turrets. They always go down at the start of the game before anybody can upgrade them.

And one more thing: is the repair time for turrets, generators, and radars the same regardless of their level?

• Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    On a direct hit, the bolt launcher does 910 damage compared to 770 for the light spinfusor.

The bolts definitely have a travel time. I've used both extensively, and the projectile speed feels the same at close range. At medium and long range, the bolt launcher's arc really kicks in and it takes a lot longer for your shot to hit. I think it's easier to dodge spinfusor shots because you can actually see them... the bolts are tiny and hard to see.

The light spinfusor has a slight advantage in reload speed (so you get more shots off over a period of time).

As far as I know, the explosion area is very similar.

I like the spinfusor for flag running. Not only can you hit the flag stand from further away, but you can get more shots off as you approach. The obvious advantage of the bolt launcher is the ability to one shot lights and tech turrets. The downside is it's harder to aim. You always have to take the arc into consideration. When I'm chasing, I prefer the bolt launcher (more damage is nice), but I also use the light assault rifle for long range shots.

I'm pretty sure the repair time is the same on gens/turrets at any level.

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    Glal wrote:
    neil5280 wrote:
    Glal wrote:
    I think they're related.
    Just as a quick example, the following games all use the same engine as UT2004:
    Bioshock
    Deus Ex: Invisible War
    Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
    Lineage II
    Red Steel
    Thief: Deadly Shadows
    Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell

I don't really consider any of them to feel like UT2004, or even one another. To the detriment of something like Bioshock, even, since its shooter mechanics were arguably its weakest part. I imagine the "feel" simply comes from the fact that there just aren't any fast-paced competitive shooters with vehicle mechanics left. Thanks to the most popular ones being console-based they're all much, much slower paced to compensate for the input.

The gameplay of each of those games stands out as unique, and I would never say otherwise, but they all have a similar feel to me. The way atmospherics is done, the way textures are rendered, the things the engine does leave an imprint on the feel of the game, at least for me.

Compare images of all those games to similar engines of the same era, like the Glacier engine or the LS3D engine. In my opinion Mafia and Hitman and Battlefield 1942 feel far more different from Bioshock than UT2004 does.

I'm guessing we'll just have to agree to disagree, but let's hope we can also agree to watch each other's backs on the Tribe's field and bring our Team victory!

VGCY

• Options
    BoogdudBoogdud Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    One thing that needs to be fixed is the absurd advantage ssds have over anyone using a regular platter drive. I have a buddy that I play with and he can literally cap a flag or destroy the generator before 99% of the field has even spawned. They need to lobby everyone and have a countdown to start the match.

Also gonna say it again.. make the gen/base matter or just take the damn things out and make it any other generic ctf game.

Boogdud on
  • Options
    drunkenpandarendrunkenpandaren Slapping all the goblin ham In the top laneRegistered User regular
    This game apparently doesn't like to install to a hard drive that isn't c: for some reason.
    VGS

Origin: HaxtonWasHere
    Steam: pandas_gota_gun
  • Options
    DogEightDogEight Registered User regular
    I think the gens do matter, it's just up to the team to determine in what way and how much. Since the gen is supplemental to the defense, you have to weigh the cost in manpower and diverted attention against the benefit of powered deployables, radar, and turrets. Everyone being able to read what your defense needs as the game progresses becomes important as too many men obsessing over the gen can lose their team the game, but just enough can create a fortress out of a flag-stand. On the flip-side, if I see the opposing team has a couple guys who obsess over the gen and our flag is secure without it, I'll try and keep the gen at just operational or give them a little explosive attention every now and then just to keep them from doing something actually useful.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    This game apparently doesn't like to install to a hard drive that isn't c: for some reason.
    VGS
    Not that it help, but it seems to work off D : just fine on mine.

Glal on
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
  • Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    Glad they waited until right after I got a beta key.

Here's the patch notes: http://hi-rez.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/303

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Got around to playing this after a long break. Raider + shield + potential energy is stupid fun.

• Options
    BoogdudBoogdud Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    DogEight wrote: »
    I think the gens do matter, it's just up to the team to determine in what way and how much. Since the gen is supplemental to the defense, you have to weigh the cost in manpower and diverted attention against the benefit of powered deployables, radar, and turrets. Everyone being able to read what your defense needs as the game progresses becomes important as too many men obsessing over the gen can lose their team the game, but just enough can create a fortress out of a flag-stand. On the flip-side, if I see the opposing team has a couple guys who obsess over the gen and our flag is secure without it, I'll try and keep the gen at just operational or give them a little explosive attention every now and then just to keep them from doing something actually useful.

Heh, you're almost saying the same thing that I did, because defense does not win this game whether you have the proper ratio of def/off or not.

As it stands now, there is no way a team can stand against 3-5 capable pathfinders that know their routes, whether they choose to defend properly or not. Hell, most of the time it comes down to which team has the guy that knows how to cap, and that's it. It's just who can cap first.

It only makes it worse when virtually every map has defensive weakpoints from almost every angle. You can literally grab the frag from any direction, there are no choke points at all. The flag may as well be sitting on the ground in an open field. Adding to the problem is that even a light can spam a fuser at the turrets from all the way across the map to kill the turrets if you really want to (they really pose little threat to a capper) and you can destroy any player made defenses with just one or two shots at range on ingress (mines/claymores, etc.) and the ff can pretty much be ignored. There's not much point to defense. There's no real deterrent. I highly doubt there's one capable capper out there that sees a ff or a heavy standing on the flag and knows the gen is up and thinks "uh oh, probably shouldn't do this now!" and runs away. They just think, I'll throw myself at it, fusor the mines out with one shot, and the other 2 guys following me, will get it when I kill them or they're paying attention to me.

And this is in pub matches, wait until teams start really coordinating stuff.

Hopefully they'll add a siege mode or something.

**I should note that my observations are for a high amount of games I've seen, not EVERY game. There are of course good matches where defense matters and all roles are played to the fullest. But they are in the vast minority in my experience.

Boogdud on
This discussion has been closed.