As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Tribes] Ascend. - Updating OP, steamgroup listed for coordinating matches together!

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    There is an underlying difference between engines regarding things like movement but the average person probable won't notice. Unreal has always had a certain feeling of weight to it that is hard to describe.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    http://www.hirezstudios.com/hirezwp/?p=1791
    Open beta coming soon, along with some content updates.
    All player progress and unlocks will be preserved with no planned character wipes.

In advance of Open Beta, a significant patch this week will include:

New gametype, Arena Deathmatch, with two initial maps
    New Capture The Flag map, Temple Ruins
    New Team Deathmatch map, Inferno
    Two new unlockable items for the Soldier class: Proximity Grenade and Utility Pack
    New default suits for Doombringer and Brute
    Ability to view either Blood Eagle or Diamond Sword skins from Class menu
    Service supporting Name Change
    Large number of bug-fixes and balance adjustments.

The divide between closed and open beta for this game is silly. It's essentially already in Open Beta. Everyone who wants an invite can very very easily get one.

• BoogdudBoogdud Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    The divide between closed and open beta for this game is silly. It's essentially already in Open Beta. Everyone who wants an invite can very very easily get one.

It is kind of comical. What is going to be release? When they automatically install it on the machines of anyone that ever had any interest in the game? ;)

• FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    It really is lame that "Arena" is just Team Deathmatch.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • AumniAumni Registered User regular
    Well I'm just glad any progress will be permanent and not wiped. That's always good.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
    Considering a good number of people have paid for things in beta at this point, I think they'd have quite an uproar if they wiped anything.

• tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    I'm still waiting to see what they do about the absurd gold/XP variance between types of purchases before spending any gold.

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    What? 42000 xp to unlock a gun versus 12000 to unlock a class makes PERFECT sense.

(Seriously that's like 200+ games to unlock a gun. Or like $2.)

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • neil5280neil5280 Registered User regular
    Is there a way to see the class makeup of your team?

• nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I don't know why they reduced class costs so drastically. I mean, I like having all the classes unlocked, but now the guns seem unreasonable by comparison. If they reduce the costs on the guns, what are people going to spend money on? Cosmetic upgrades? Sounds good, but those aren't in the game yet.

The only gun I really want is the MIRV because it seems like the mortar is useless now :( I'll probably pick up the Beta Starter Pack, I feel like they've earned my money and I don't want to have to think about weapon unlocks.

nonoffensive on
  • SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    neil5280 wrote: »

Hold tab and it should be beside their names on the scoreboard.

Unless you mean an easy, quick way to take note of how many of what class you have, in which case no.

Slicer wrote:

Hold tab and it should be beside their names on the scoreboard.

Unless you mean an easy, quick way to take note of how many of what class you have, in which case no.

Slicer, thanks for cutting to the meat of my question. Yeah, I was looking for an easy way to see the totals. Honestly, though, I hadn't realized the leader board included the class type, so I'll make do with that.

Thanks.

• tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    new map is huuuge.

• tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    Aumni wrote: »
    What? 42000 xp to unlock a gun versus 12000 to unlock a class makes PERFECT sense.

(Seriously that's like 200+ games to unlock a gun. Or like $2.)

Actually, I think that is a completely sensible XP cost:

- It's more important to get players trying the different classes than having them try to drill through one class at a time. Prevents burnout.
    - You should be able to get an absolute minimum of 1500XP/day.

I'm specifically concerned about how the gold to XP ratio is not consistent over the entire scale of purchases. Perks/classes and the big weapon purchases are gold-inefficient compared to the pack and belt items in the middle of the purchase range.

http://forum.hirezstudios.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=313&t=59977&p=749364#p749364

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    I usually get 500-700 XP per match. That is a lot less than 200 games to unlock a gun.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    500-600xp per match seems about average for me, assuming a game of enough length and I am not totally sucking.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    Enig wrote: »
    I usually get 500-700 XP per match. That is a lot less than 200 games to unlock a gun.

There's also the first win of the day bonus to consider.

It's still a pretty crazy amount of games per gun, but honestly if you're really concerned you might as well shell out the minimum 10 bux to get VIP status, it adds up fast.

I don't play anything other than soldier anyway.

I am a one-trick pony.

I get 850ish per game, but I'm VIP so that might have some sort of bonus applied to it. (I paid the 30$ preorder or whatever forever ago)

Baidol wrote: »

I am a one-trick pony.

Yeah, but your one trick pony dominates the top of the leader board, so that's not a bad thing.

I am a one-trick pony.

Yeah, but your one trick pony dominates the top of the leader board, so that's not a bad thing.

Baidol's Secrets to Success

1) Patience. Wait for your opponent to hit the ground/wall/ceiling before firing. Keep pressing that trigger, and you're going to end up landing on the ground while reloading and get a face full of disk from the guy you're chasing.
    2) Copious amounts of grenades.

• TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    Baidol wrote:

I am a one-trick pony.

1) Patience. Wait for your opponent to hit the ground/wall/ceiling before firing. Keep pressing that trigger, and you're going to end up landing on the ground while reloading and get a face full of disk from the guy you're chasing.

good rules to play by, spamming discs at someone in the air when you aren't an excellent shot gets you killed, so long as you can land a disc near them often you will win the fight, unless they are super crazy awesome MA disc dude

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • SvKSvK Registered User regular
    But how do I transition into super crazy awesome MA disc dude without shooting at airborne people?

SvK wrote: »
    But how do I transition into super crazy awesome MA disc dude without shooting at airborne people?

Learn to hit them on the ground first, then the rest comes naturally.

• GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    Man, the new Lost Temple map is damn fun to play on. I had my best game as a Soldier playing defense, nailing Spinfusor shots (got 2 Blue Plates in the match, something I'm pretty proud of), and the architecture on the map, though a bit offsetting at first, kind of grows on you. Can't say I like the newly revised Bella Omega's interior layout, wherein the generator room is just one big "kill room" easily accessible by anybody. Go Juggernaut for defense in there, because you're liable to have mobs of opponents ganging up on the generator and judicious use of Mortars really helps clear them out.

• MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited February 2012

I am a one-trick pony.

No.

You hit the point they're going to be just before they get there. Splash damage 101. This has the added benefit of fucking with their jumping/changing their momentum.

Other than that though, those two points pretty much cover everything.

MechMantis on
    Playing against good players, you definitely need to aim for where they are going to be, or you will barely clip them at best.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I can drive a tank into the Gen room in the new map. :)

Whoever thought it was a good idea to redesign the Bella Omega gen room into what it is now needs to be slapped. Hard.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    It was shit before and it's better than it was

• GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    Bella Omega's gen-room (the most recent version of it, anyway) was quite ideal in my opinion. Lots of defensive potential if you knew what you were doing. But yeah, I expect yet another alteration once people start realizing how friggin' crazy it is to try and keep your generator running for more than two minutes at a time.

Bella Omega's gen-room (the most recent version of it, anyway) was quite ideal in my opinion. Lots of defensive potential if you knew what you were doing. But yeah, I expect yet another alteration once people start realizing how friggin' crazy it is to try and keep your generator running for more than two minutes at a time.

I think they're just pretty much saying "defense doesn't matter anymore". Or, everyone be a pathfinder and see how fast you can end a match. Ugh.

• Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Actually, the easiest map to defend the flagstand was Bella. Those side shields were huge.

It's been said, but I'll say it again. If you want a solid defense, you need the generator up. Doom shields to stop the fast routes and to protect mines/claymores. Base turrets to slow down the enemy base assault. Heavy on flag with chaingun to weaken/stop the fast cappers, another heavy to hit the people as they grab the flag (heavy spinfusor/heavy bolt launcher), and a sniper to finish off the flag carriers that manage to get through. Combine that with some people just slaying midfield and a chaser or two and it's going to be a shut out. Once the gen goes down, it's much easier to clear the flagstand and much easier for the enemy to just hang around your base and cause havoc.

Yes, if too many people defend the generator it's bad. Yes, if you are playing against an unorganized team you can just send 4 cappers and win easily.

Ratsult2 on
    Ratsult knows what's up.

Just because you are unwilling to put in the work to defend the flag, does not mean it is not worth it.

Having put in the work, and having had it still not work, I agree with Boogdud. They really need to work on making Defense worth it.

Two matches I just played ended 5-0 and 4-1.

Reason?

Defense.

Also, oh God why can tanks get into the gen room in the new map?

• dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    So, the new arena gametype is a complete waste of time. The SMG changes make them insane and whiteout grenades hit everyone on the entire map nearly every time. It's taken what was already a problem with the combat and amplified it, thumpers and rapid fire bullet projectile weapons reign supreme when you can't use any sort of speed or skiiing. Which holy shit, the last 6 versions of Modern Warfare and Battlefield have already proven.

There's just something very off with the combat as of the recent patch, it was only a slight problem before as though the game was moving in the right direction, but it's as though they decided to make the game worse on purpose and scrap 3 months worth of balance changes for the better.

There's an "exploit" on the new CTF map where people can get up on that large rock formation in the center of the map. Very annoying if the flag carrier goes up there.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • sliver911sliver911 Registered User regular
    I think Arena is pretty sweet..

I've noticed that everyone uses the soldier. The thumper is pretty weak as far as I'm concerned. The skill lies in your ability to keep off the platform and in the air.

I use pathfinder, equipped with a bolt launcher. No one can touch me. Not even their little bullets. Why? Because I am never on my feet for more than a quick millisecond. The maps are designed so you can gain your energy quick by skipping through the multi-levels.

Once and a while you'll find a guy/girl who can MA with accuracy. Rare though.

Shotguns are a bit annoying in the gametype however. The range is incredible.

edited February 2012
    Ratsult knows what's up.

Just because you are unwilling to put in the work to defend the flag, does not mean it is not worth it.

"It's a jump to conclusions board! Get it? Jump!"

Nice assumption there, but the two classes I have unlocked 70% (vs 10-20 for others) are the Tech and Doombringer. So yeah, I pretty much do nothing but defense. The only way defense 'works' or matters is if both teams are defending. In my experience, if one team tries to defend and mount an offense and the other team just throws offense, the offense wins nearly every time. It's just a matter of sending a couple headhunters to get their flag back.

Anyway, I think one of the issues right now is that cappers are just too damn fast. Decked out pathfinders are almost impossible to deal with. I'm not talking about the average guys, but the guys who really know what they're doing and get 295 sanic grabs are pretty impossible to deal with if they have someone throwing up even a moderate amount of covering fire. A couple early mortars/fusers at the flag area coordinated over vent and the pathfinder has the flag and is 3/4 back to base in the span of about 2 seconds. It's pretty obscene. Not that I don't admire their skill but most of the time you have to just throw your hands in the air as far as trying to defend against something like that.

It'd be nice if the ff was a bubble instead of a wall. Because due to the limitations on how close you can have deployables it's impossible to create an angle where one fuser shot doesn't blow up literally every mine, claymore and then a second fuser shot blows up any turrets that would cause an inconvenience. Add in the extended grab range and they don't even need to worry about the heavy standing on the flag, they just blow by you at 300 giving you the finger as you stand on the flag looking at the spot where it used to be.

Boogdud on
    edited February 2012
    Two matches I just played ended 5-0 and 4-1.

Reason?

Defense.

Also, oh God why can tanks get into the gen room in the new map?

Until you can show me a replay with two equally skilled teams, I'm going to go with my own experiences rather than your anecdotal score charts. Every game I've played, defending the generator has been a useless endeavor.

edit: I could totally be in favor of bubble forcefields.

SniperGuy on
This discussion has been closed.