As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mass Effect] Lay off the DLC arguments. USE SPOILER TAGS

• VicktorVicktor Infidel Castro Rancho ChupacabraRegistered User regular
    Z0re wrote:
    Vicktor wrote: »
    G Rol wrote:
    Briefly on the DLC-mate:
    Am I alone in loving the Prothean's voice? It is so obviously African, I really don't understand how anyone is getting a Jamaican rasta vibe from it at all. The only problem I ever had with these games, accent wise, is the Quarians' accents being all over the place. I just chalk it up to being a migrant fleet.

Maybe it's just my space-racism showing, as I certainly don't think all the humans should have the same accent.

...apropos of nothing, I hope Jack has a big role in ME3. I guess I'm in the minority in really liking her character.
    Further regarding Bioware's choice in DLC squad-mate voice acting. (I know this was from a page back, but it struck me as poignant):
    I think Bioware put more thought into the choice than some people think.

You find him on Mars, which means he was one of the Protheans checking out (possibly interacting with) early humans. Basically, they gave him an eastern African accent as a reference to where early man existed before blossoming in the fertile crescent and eventually selecting phenotypes and 'technology' (agriculture, farming, clothing/housing) that could deal with cold weather better and spread to colder climates. Pretty much, if you go past 1.8-1.9 million years ago, you're looking at Kenya/Ethiopia generally East Africa (maybe South) for any members of the Homo genus.

I think the problem with it is that it's a very 'anglicized' accent. I really think they could have gone with an Egyptian or any of the 'fertile crescent' country accents, but they probably thought it wouldn't be as recognizable to their general target audience.

I'm reserving my judgement for when I play the game, because alot of things in Mass Effect (everything?) is pretty silly/ridiculous/strange when taken out of context of the game.

Remember that,
    The Protheans were only around from roughly 60,000-50,000 years ago. So 10-20,000 years after the exodus from Africa. Possibly closer if we assume the Protheans achieved space dominance 70,000 years ago and sort of fucked around for twenty thousands years.

I realize that but I think Bioware is just going for an impression rather than some hard factual link.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Viycktor
  • EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    It sounds like he's just complaining about the day 1 DLC, which we all know is ridiculous.

We're not allowed to be upset about day 1 DLC? It's not going to affect my purchase, but you'd be an idiot to not think it's a bad route to go down'

Let me ask you a question: Who has the superior product, someone who pays $60 for ME3 or someone who pirates it for free (for the single player)

This is going backwards in terms of creating a money making product. Piracy is so easy on all 3 consoles and PC that doing shit like this definitely costs you sales, and not the people who are posting about boycotting it on facebook, but the legions who don't say anything but just chose to torrent it when they read about cut content for seperate sale

No, we're absolutely allowed to be upset about Day 1 DLC. Day 1 DLC is what I was calling ridiculous.

• Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    Razia wrote: »

Who did this video? Oh, TotalBiscuit? Excuse me while I laugh and not give a fuck about what he's saying. Seriously, why do people follow this completely negative moron?

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Day 1 stuff is sold on Day 1 because it's not ready when the game goes gold. you can do a lot in those weeks between finishing the game and the release date.

PNk1Ml4.png
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Thing is...most of those legions who pirate it were going to do it anyway. They just use Day 1 DLC as an excuse to why they did it.

I don't like day 1 DLC, but I don't think it somehow justifies pirating.

That being said. I would rather leave that conversation alone because you start getting into pretty murky territory I'd rather not enter.

Dragkonias on
    edited February 2012
    I do think boycotting is a bit far, though. $10 is a fair price for what sounds like a good amount of content. I just don't want it to become a habit

Razia wrote: »

Who did this video? Oh, TotalBiscuit? Excuse me while I laugh and not give a fuck about what he's saying. Seriously, why do people follow this completely negative moron?

I'm actually a fan of TotalBiscuit's videos, but I have to agree that him standing on a soapbox gets old quick.

Etchwarts on
  • Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    -Tal wrote:
    Day 1 stuff is sold on Day 1 because it's not ready when the game goes gold. you can do a lot in those weeks between finishing the game and the release date.

Pretty much

the only day 1dlc I really don't care for is the stuff locked on the disc like gears 3

but whatever I just didn't buy it because i thought it was silly, I would suggest the people complaining over this do the same instead of bitching to the internet constantly

Renegade Wolf on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yeah. I do have a problem with that too. I was fine with it when you got the guy for "free" when you bought a new copy but making people buy a copy then pay 10 bucks for it is a bit much to me.

Like I was going to get the Collector's Edition regardless, that's why I'm somewhat whatever, but it isn't something I want to see become commonplace.

• Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    It sounds like he's just complaining about the day 1 DLC, which we all know is ridiculous.

We're not allowed to be upset about day 1 DLC? It's not going to affect my purchase, but you'd be an idiot to not think it's a bad route to go down'

Let me ask you a question: Who has the superior product, someone who pays $60 for ME3 or someone who pirates it for free (for the single player)

This is going backwards in terms of creating a money making product. Piracy is so easy on all 3 consoles and PC that doing shit like this definitely costs you sales, and not the people who are posting about boycotting it on facebook, but the legions who don't say anything but just chose to torrent it when they read about cut content for seperate sale

No, we're absolutely allowed to be upset about Day 1 DLC. Day 1 DLC is what I was calling ridiculous.

Why? People are more than willing to pay for it. If people stopped paying for it, companies would stop providing it.

In this case I feel the boycotters are misaimed. They should be telling people to buy the game and deliberately not buy the DLC if they want to be taken seriously and affect change. Otherwise they aren't even customers so who gives a damn what they think?

• evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    I stopped 12 minutes in, I totally get where he's coming from, corporate greed is an issue.
    I'm pretty sure we just had a debate about price<-->product and greed.

If people really cared they'd find out where Mr. Kotick lives and do horrible things to him instead of preaching from the safety of their armchairs.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • jackisrealjackisreal Registered User regular
    I have no problem with day 1 DLC. We already know the DLC wasn't done when they finished the 'base game,' if they're taking the time and effort to make more mass effect before release day then I'm not going to be angry about it.

• SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    wait, are we talking about reasons to boycott?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v62pM93iS4A

are you kidding me? reversible femship cover insert? once again bioware fails to accommodate the straight male gamer.
    this post is satire. femshep ftw
    8.97/10, preorder cancelled

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Stuff that is deliberately kept out of the game despite being complete in order to sell as DLC is objectively skeezy and stupid. Stuff like this, a collector's edition bonus that is being sold so people can get the bonus if they want is fine. If you don't want it, don't buy it.

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i've never had any problem with online pass/day 1 dlc type stuff

preorder stuff can be kind of annoying but when all is said and done is rarely anything to get mad about

i have a couple less guns coming to me in ME3 thanks to the origin and gamestop stuff

kind of sucks

but i think i'll live

edited February 2012
    Well. I don't know. I mean the DLC squadmate was announced a while ago. Remember, it was originally listed on the CE edition before they took it off.

I mean I know some stuff really isn't finished on time, but "eh..." I don't know in this situation. Maybe they shelved it to the last minute, maybe they didn't.

Dragkonias on
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Dox the PI wrote:
    pft hahaha video game nerds are still doing those boycott things
    how cute

Well, having watched most of the video, Halibut is not a knee jerk reaction kind of guy and he does raise some good points. ME3 is most certainly the most exploited* game in the series.

*This does not mean the game will be anything but awesome.

Z0re wrote: »

Why? People are more than willing to pay for it. If people stopped paying for it, companies would stop providing it.

In this case I feel the boycotters are misaimed. They should be telling people to buy the game and deliberately not buy the DLC if they want to be taken seriously and affect change. Otherwise they aren't even customers so who gives a damn what they think?

I'm not condoning boycotting it. I just hate the idea of a major part of the game being locked out if you didn't get the incredibly limited Collector's Edition, or pay $10 in addition to the $60 you already paid.

Like someone else said, if it was free with new copies of the game, that'd be okay. This isn't.

Bioware should close down until March 6. Nobody can work on new content until the game is released.

PNk1Ml4.png
    -Tal wrote: »

This. Also, it's an incentive to buy the game New, and as it's been discussed before: Devs and Publishers don't make money off of Used games.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    If it simply wasn't ready when it went Gold, I suppose that's easy enough to swallow.

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular

I'm not condoning boycotting it. I just hate the idea of a major part of the game being locked out if you didn't get the incredibly limited Collector's Edition, or pay $10 in addition to the $60 you already paid.

Like someone else said, if it was free with new copies of the game, that'd be okay. This isn't.

But it is. You said yourself its free with the CE.

It's not unusual for CEs of games to get exclusive content that never gets a wide release. At least everyone will get to see this if they choose to.

If they had given it for free to everyone, it would have greatly diminished the value of the CE as it is one of the perks.

Again, there is no foul here.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

Dragkonias wrote: »
    Well. I don't know. I mean the DLC squadmate was announced a while ago. Remember, it was originally listed on the CE edition before they took it off.

I mean I know some stuff really isn't finished on time, but "eh..." I don't know in this situation. Maybe they shelved it to the last minute, maybe they didn't.

This stuff runs on a schedule. Shadow Broker was also planned way in advance of its release. Remember the hidden audio files found in vanilla ME2 that hinted at it? But it was not anywhere close to ready for January and they had other DLC to finish first. ME3's Shadow Broker-like DLC is also planned and is probably being worked on right now.

PNk1Ml4.png
    Yeah. But like I'm saying they could have just did what they did with ME3 and DA2 and gave it "free" to people who bought new and people who bought used had to buy it straight out.

So yeah, while I'm not exactly torn up about it. I see why some have a problem with it.

But it is. You said yourself its free with the CE.

It's not unusual for CEs of games to get exclusive content that never gets a wide release. At least everyone will get to see this if they choose to.

If they had given it for free to everyone, it would have greatly diminished the value of the CE as it is one of the perks.

Again, there is no foul here.

If it was something small like alternate appearance packs or weapons, I would absolutely agree with that.

In this case, though, it's an entire squadmate. And not just any squadmate,
    but a Prothean

I feel like either this is important enough to the story that it should be on the disk, or it's so insignificant that it shouldn't even be in the game at all, and in either case, making it Day 1 DLC is a bad move.

edited February 2012

Its not going to be a major part of the game though if Shale, Zaeed and Sebastian are anything to go by. None of them did much beyond adding a little more flavor and interest to the world, and their personal missions were all fairly bland and sup-par considering others that were in the base game. None of them were breakout characters either like Mordin was for ME2. Like, I would be pissed if I didn't get Mordin but I was fairly indifferent about Zaeed. Same with Varric and Sebastian, or most people and Shale.

Hell, it'll probably be subpar mechanically based on those three in comparison to the rest of your squad. For some reason the DLC characters have a tendency to suck in actual combat.

Also,
    Just because he is a Prothean doesn't make him super important. We have no idea about his backstory, but if he was a lucky line soldier or grunt then he probably knows less than we do. A cultural curiosity, nothing integral.

Z0re on
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Yeah. But like I'm saying they could have just did what they did with ME3 and DA2 and gave it "free" to people who bought new and people who bought used had to buy it straight out.

So yeah, while I'm not exactly torn up about it. I see why some have a problem with it.

Yeah, and Halibut was talking about how he'd have no problem with ME3 mirroring Shale or Zaeed in regards to the new DLC character. His point was this was developed content, pre launch, with a pretty damn important story character that you have to pay extra to get. I understand why he's upset, I really do.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    TB's point wasn't even that day 1 dlc is bad

His point was that something crazy important to the lore of the game being day 1 dlc is pants on head retarded. A
    prothean just kind of chilling on mars
    is a BFD in the ME universe.

It seems like something that should be a central story point and not a "hey guys please give us $10 because we know you will". Discounting bad will that causes (which leads to piracy) is ignorant of market realities. When I play ME3 my friend who pirates everything can tell me all about the
    prothean's
    storyline. I will not have that experience in my game.

This bugs me

A lot of people don't pay for it. You realize how pervasive piracy is right?

override367 on
    There's a middle ground between crucial to the story and insignificant. None of the squadmates are really crucial to the story, but they make solid contributions. The plot isn't going to fall apart without the Day 1 squadmate, he's just going to add more flavor to it.

PNk1Ml4.png
    ...Kasumi and Zaeed were actually pretty awesome combat wise.

Hell, it'll probably be subpar mechanically based on those three in comparison to the rest of your squad. For some reason the DLC characters have a tendency to suck in actual combat.

I don't know, aren't there people in this very thread who swear by Kasumi's Shadow Strike?

edited February 2012
    Let's not forget our spoiler tags dudes

@override367

jackisreal on
    edited February 2012

I don't know, aren't there people in this very thread who swear by Kasumi's Shadow Strike?

She wasn't day 1 DLC, Zaeed was.

He kinda sucked. I stand by my assertion that Day 1ers tend to be relatively uninteresting (which is usually why they were cut in the first place) and also suck in combat.

Z0re on
    Interview with Casey Hudson and Mac Walters on the end of the Mass Effect trilogy.

http://blogs.canoe.ca/buttonmashers/general/reflecting-on-the-end-of-mass-effect/#.T0U3yxYPpi4.twitter

SPOILER Day 1 dlc discussion that elaborates on my previous post
    Like, we know protheans are going to be a thing in ME3 regardless of the Brothean. He just happens to be a recruitable one. It's not like that DLC contains all of the protheans' possible contributions to the story.

PNk1Ml4.png
    SPOILER Day 1 dlc discussion that elaborates on my previous post
    Like, we know protheans are going to be a thing in ME3 regardless of the Brothean. He just happens to be a recruitable one. It's not like that DLC contains all of the protheans' possible contributions to the story.

As long as that Spoiler's accurate, I'm cool with it.

Either way, this is hardly "8.9 out of 10 PRE-ORDER CANCELED" kind of material. It's just poor form.

six endings damn

PNk1Ml4.png
    So from that interview is sounds like ME3 will have 6 major endings with each one being flavored a bit by who lived/died.

The spoiler squadmate does have enough of a what in the hell factor to make it seem important, but I'm going to withhold judgment until I see how it's actually executed.

jdarksun wrote: »
    This. Also, it's an incentive to buy the game New, and as it's been discussed before: Devs and Publishers don't make money off of Used games.
    That would be true if the Day 1 DLC came with any new copy. It only comes in the CE / DDE. The Cerberus News Network thing from ME2 was an anti-used sales device, like I imagine MP to be in ME3.

So what, we miss out on a "Normandy Crash Site" type of deal? Whatever. DLC isn't the most important factor in the world, and people will still buy the DLC if they don't get it with the CE/DDE copy anyway. Bottom line: WHO FUCKING CARES?

... Apart from a bunch of incompetents from youtube who are trying to "bring down the corrupt system!"

Funny, I used to be like that once, but then I grew the fuck up.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    edited February 2012
    jdarksun wrote: »
    That would be true if the Day 1 DLC came with any new copy. It only comes in the CE / DDE. The Cerberus News Network thing from ME2 was an anti-used sales device, like I imagine MP to be in ME3.

So what, we miss out on a "Normandy Crash Site" type of deal? Whatever. DLC isn't the most important factor in the world, and people will still buy the DLC if they don't get it with the CE/DDE copy anyway. Bottom line: WHO FUCKING CARES?

... Apart from a bunch of incompetents from youtube who are trying to "bring down the corrupt system!"

Funny, I used to be like that once, but then I grew the fuck up.

Did this guy kill your dog or something?

I mean, it's cool to think the guy's an idiot. But this looks more like hatred.

Etchwarts on