As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mass Effect] Lay off the DLC arguments. USE SPOILER TAGS

• angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    the Day 1 DLC will always be there on PC, right? it's not like we can buy used...
    day 1 dlc is day 1 dlc regardless, it's not like ME2. Online Pass is being used this time instead as the anti-piracy measures so used buyers can't play online multi without the code

the DLC is free with the digital delux edition or the collector's edition both of which cost 20 bucks more than the standard

so when I buy the game on sale for $5 6 months down the line, can I get the DLC?

sQwJu.png
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    jdarksun wrote: »
    the DLC is free with the digital delux edition or the collector's edition both of which cost 20 bucks more than the standard
    I keep hearing this

I guess people define free differently than me...
    Isn't that being a bit needlessly pedantic? You get the Day 1 DLC with the CE and DDE. Substituting "comes with" for all instances of "is free" doesn't change the intent of the statements one whit.

One costs $60, one costs $80. This is not free.

override367 on
    yeah i don't buy games anymore for consoles, so

sQwJu.png
  • jackisrealjackisreal Registered User regular
    Fact: If you don't buy the DLC on the day of release, it is gone forever.

• MukkMukk Registered User regular
    You really think fucking paying customers out of features that pirates get on day one doesn't increase piracy?

Really? Really?

Isn't that kind of a weird argument, though? "If you pirate this, you get it for free. If you pay for it, you have to spend money." Yeah? From a purely let's say consumer driven viewpoint you always get a better deal if you pirate something since you get it for free -- the value you get for money spent is basically infinite.

• Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    the Day 1 DLC will always be there on PC, right? it's not like we can buy used...
    day 1 dlc is day 1 dlc regardless, it's not like ME2. Online Pass is being used this time instead as the anti-piracy measures so used buyers can't play online multi without the code

I keep hearing this

I guess people define free differently than me... I switched my preorder to DD so I mean I'm getting it, but I don't have to be happy about it. If it was any other EA franchise than BF or ME this shit wouldn't fly with me.

You watch though, EA's going to try this with everything, new IPs, mediocre shooters, etc.

Only buy it if you want it, no one is forcing you to. The fact that people will is why they do it.

Also, considering how slowly video game prices have risen in the last thirty years this isn't exactly killing me. Back in the day, Crono Trigger cost 80-90 dollars and that was a SNES game. I'm just glad price increases are being massively outstripped by inflation.

Plus I have the option not to get DLC! Most people don't.

Z0re on
    jackisreal wrote: »

this was the case with the past 2 iterations of Forza, so if you're being a sarcastic shitposter, it's not appreciated

sQwJu.png
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular

so when I buy the game on sale for $5 6 months down the line, can I get the DLC?
    if you spend 10 dollars on it sure

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Ad astra wrote: »
    I haven't read any spoilers (and don't intend to) but I really hope there is a canon failure ending, where the galaxy ends up as Reaper food.

I fixed that. Because nerd-rage alone would make that be awesome...
    I'm getting the DLC for 10 dollars instead of paying 20 dollar for it and bunch of bullshit i don't need

really the people who aren't buying the CE are the winners

I buy the CEs for the artbooks even though they're small print. Getting the soundtracks is also a great perk too. Different strokes, I guess.
    ya you should get the shitty artbook i guess or you could order this like I did
    http://www.amazon.ca/Art-Mass-Effect-Universe-Various/dp/1595827684/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329941516&sr=8-1
    on sale for 26 bucks and ships tomorrow, i'm super excited

So I should pay 60 bucks for the base game, 26 for the artbook plus S&H for both, 10 bucks for Day 1 DLC, and eventually when it gets released as a pack of its own some of my MS spacebucks for the alternate costumes too?

For an artbook that is ultimately just going to make for something to look at other than the walls and my bathtub and sink? :P
    you're paying S&H for things with free S&H?

A near definite date of delivery is why I don't goof around with Super Saver Shipping. I don't have the patience/tolerance for any package I order to play "Missed Delivery" tag, be stolen, damaged, or left simply left outside... So, yeah. I pay for S&H. The cost is peanuts vs that agitation.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
    jackisreal wrote: »

this was the case with the past 2 iterations of Forza, so if you're being a sarcastic shitposter, it's not appreciated

I was being a sarcastic shitposter.

But wait, what the fuck? Someone tried to sell DLC in a 24 hour time period? Like, for reals? That's insane. Are you actually worried that Bioware is going to do that?

Games cost money to make, extra game costs extra money to make. If you don't think the extra content is worth extra money, then not buying it should not be a massive world-ending problem because you have already valued it at less than $10.

• WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Wulf wrote: »
    Whelp. I'm canceling my pre-order on this, even though this is one of my favorite franchises in a looooong time :(
    I don't have the budget to be shelling out for major lore stuff that should have been part of the main game to begin with.

it's not major. It only sounds major because it sounds like something you'd want to play.

If it were major, the game would not be completeable without it.
    Pretty Much. After all, just look at how critical Zaeed was!

Oh....wait....

Zaeed has a very high Hold the Line score, though. So there's that.

Zaeed was also included with a slew of other stuff that you got for buying the game new. For no additional cost. Now you have to buy a brand new, $80 version to get all the lore marrow out of this game bone or $60 for the base game and another $10 for just the lore mission/character and none of the other stuff that the extra $20 out of the gate would net you.
    Which is silly. And makes me sad.

Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    God damn. I wish the multiplayer in this game was shitty so I wouldn't care about the matchmaking system being complete fucking garbage. Let me play the game, shitty matchmaking system. Come on. I get a game like every 50 searches.

Comprehensive list of the shittiness that is this game's matchmaking:
    1.) You cannot exit out of a stalled loading/connecting screen. You either have to wait for it to timeout or alt+f4.
    2.) If you don't connect to a game/lobby it gives you the message then loads the multiplayer area again.. where you just were. If you cancel it doesn't make you load it again.
    3.) Roughly 50% of my game searches will fail to connect to anything. Most just send me to #2, probably 10% of these send me to #1.
    4.) People never get put into empty lobby slots.
    5.) If someone afks in the lobby it's over because if you kick them see flaw #4.
    6.) The game sticks you into 1-3 player lobbies all the time. See flaw #4.
    7.) Despite there being a keybind for text chat, it sure doesn't do anything.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
    I keep hearing this

I guess people define free differently than me...
    Isn't that being a bit needlessly pedantic? You get the Day 1 DLC with the CE and DDE. Substituting "comes with" for all instances of "is free" doesn't change the intent of the statements one whit.

One costs $60, one costs $80. This is not free.
    You also get a hoodie, a robot dog, outfits, a patch, an art book, a ton of shit. It isn't a stretch to say that you're getting all that for your $20, and the DLC free.
    yup, or you don't get any of that uneeded bullshit and instead pay 10 dollars less for what you actually want
    makes sense to me

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    Well as someone with a limited gaming budget, but still buys a lot (but a finite number) of games, I don't appreciate having to pay at least $70 for the game just because. Sure you can get the incomplete version of the game for $60, but if you want the whole game its $70 minimum.

This means sometime down the line I'll be spending less money - and you can bet your ass it will be an EA game that gets cut from the "should I buy that?" consideration.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Phantoms are just plain tricky for infiltrators as energy drain doesn't stun them. Call them out to your teammates and focus on the Altases. Or get a shotgun with a wide spread.

I'm sniper/shotgun, but the shotgun doesn't do shit against their barrier and the ice doesn't really slow them
    Quarian Infiltrator has Sabotage, which I think works on Barriers now.

sig.gif
  • G RolG Rol Dorsia? Nobody goes there anymore... Nell'sRegistered User regular
    It is pretty odd that the more desirous that the internet hive mind is of a particular piece of DLC, the more angry the collective becomes by its existence.

I'll pay it gladly as this franchise has proven to have an off the charts Positive Entertainment Value to Sunk Cost Ratio (an economic model of my own design that pertains only to me).

G%20Rol.jpg
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    I'm a bit upset that Mass Effect 2 (and seemingly 3 also) has best-in-class UI that gets lazily ported to PC.

There's a handful of simple convenient things that make playing by PC awesome instead of slightly clunky.

Of course the game will be awesome and worth playing regardless.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    G Rol wrote: »
    It is pretty odd that the more desirous that the internet hive mind is of a particular piece of DLC, the more angry the collective becomes by its existence.

I'll pay it gladly as this franchise has proven to have an off the charts Positive Entertainment Value to Sunk Cost Ratio (an economic model of my own design that pertains only to me).

Like I said, it's not going to stop me from buying it, but I can see why it would be annoying to some.

The unwashed masses are going to PREORDER CANCELLED regardless of pretty much anything.

edited February 2012

I find it odd that the vast majority of people seem to be happy about having part of the game removed and sold seperately. Like not even indifferent, happy, and extremely hostile towards anyone who disagrees.

override367 on
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular

I think that only applies to day 1 DLC, to be honest. I haven't seen anyone irritated by Lair of the Shadow Broker being a thing.

Like I said, it's not going to stop me from buying it, but I can see why it would be annoying to some.

The unwashed masses are going to PREORDER CANCELLED regardless of pretty much anything.
    no.. they won't
    ???

the unwashed masses won't even know about the DLC until they pop the disc into their drive and even then none of them will care and a ton of them will buy it

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I'm pretty pissed about the ME3 DLC content situation. EA already charges 10 dollars more for PC games than virtually anybody else. On top of that, they have a "special" edition for 20 extra bucks so you can get the really really extra bits.

I'm A-OK with DLC content to incentivize people buying a game new, but this is just complete shitdrudgery. I know it's an amazing content, but games should ship with the content that's ready, not nickel-and-dime folks with a million separate pieces of it. The way the DLC is being handled is a major factor in why I'm wondering if I should even bother with ME3 at all; Skyrim has a shitload more content than ME1 and ME2 put together for the same price as ME3.

The only thing this preorder DLC (or ME3 DLC in general) shit is doing to me is encouraging me to either skip ME3 until it ends up on sale on Amazon or just not finish the series at all. There's no way in hell I'm paying extra for game content that is held out of the game for wholly abitrary reasons and could easily be part of the release at this point.

I find it odd that the vast majority of people seem to be happy about having part of the game removed and sold seperately. Like not even indifferent, happy, and extremely hostile towards anyone who disagrees.

That assumes we would have gotten it at all without the DLC.

From most accounts it would have just ended up cut like so much else in older games and never seen.

You ascribe nefarious motives while I'm more inclined to believe people are telling the truth.

• Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular

Oh, it pertains to plenty of people. Right now, I'm preordering the digital deluxe edition in part because $80 gets me well over a hundred hours of entertainment, and that's not even with the runs I'll do after I've finished all my current savegames. Renting a movie is $2-5 for 2 hours, a distinctly inferior ratio. It's not the only factor, but it is worth considering.

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I refer more to forum goers than regular gamers who actually buy, and *gasp* enjoy their games.

edited February 2012

It's the part of the game that they're finishing after the base build of the game was done. Would you rather they didn't add more content in the weeks leading up to release?

jackisreal on
    edited February 2012

Oh, it pertains to plenty of people. Right now, I'm preordering the digital deluxe edition in part because $80 gets me well over a hundred hours of entertainment, and that's not even with the runs I'll do after I've finished all my current savegames. Renting a movie is $2-5 for 2 hours, a distinctly inferior ratio. It's not the only factor, but it is worth considering.

Have you considered donating money to Electronic Arts to show your appreciation?
    Z0re wrote: »

That assumes we would have gotten it at all without the DLC.

From most accounts it would have just ended up cut like so much else in older games and never seen.

You ascribe nefarious motives while I'm more inclined to believe people are telling the truth.

I would have rather had them cancel it and begun work on the first substantial paid DLC, or used it as a "First purchaser" incentive like in previous titles, or even in the manner they used Karkand in BF3

override367 on
  • G RolG Rol Dorsia? Nobody goes there anymore... Nell'sRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012

Them's the brakes of shopping for electronic entertainment in a used-sales-saturated-ease-of-piracy-market.

Really I don't care because...Mass Effect!...otherwise I just wouldn't bother purchasing the DLC.

(edited for weird double quote)

G Rol on

G%20Rol.jpg
  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Jesus Christ this thread fills up with dumb shit arguments during the day.
    having part of the game removed

You clearly have great insight into the development process of this game. Can you tell me when they decided to excise the content, and what occurs there if you lack the DLC, or are you just making assumptions?
    Like whether a squadmate is unique vs. uniquely recruitable?

By the way, $60 vs. $70 is not the price point that determines a pirate. "Morals" vs "lack of morals and an inflated sense of entitlement" is what determines whether you pirate something or not. Let's not engage in the reckless blurring of lines in order to make thievery seem like a rational, just decision when discussing opulent luxuries.
    I'm pretty pissed

Surprise, surprise.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Getting the normal version for $47 shipped. I will then pay $10 for the DLC thing.

$57 for the whole thing. Still less than the game normally.

I want to have newegg's babies.

I'm pretty pissed about the ME3 DLC content situation. EA already charges 10 dollars more for PC games than virtually anybody else. On top of that, they have a "special" edition for 20 extra bucks so you can get the really really extra bits.

I'm A-OK with DLC content to incentivize people buying a game new, but this is just complete shitdrudgery. I know it's an amazing content, but games should ship with the content that's ready, not nickel-and-dime folks with a million separate pieces of it. The way the DLC is being handled is a major factor in why I'm wondering if I should even bother with ME3 at all; Skyrim has a shitload more content than ME1 and ME2 put together for the same price as ME3.

The only thing this preorder DLC (or ME3 DLC in general) shit is doing to me is encouraging me to either skip ME3 until it ends up on sale on Amazon or just not finish the series at all. There's no way in hell I'm paying extra for game content that is held out of the game for wholly abitrary reasons and could easily be part of the release at this point.

Skyrim does not have more content than ME1+ME2. Skyrim has, at best, a handful of five hour storylines and thousands of tedious hours of travel and procedurally generated content that offers virtually nothing novel or new after you've gone through it for a few hours. It is a completely different type of gaming experience that relies heavily on players making their own fun by chronicling the bizarre glitches that pop up. Also there are at least twenty major quests that break if you even look at them funnily, and more that are just terrible time wastes. I don't consider "ROB THIS RANDOM BAUBLE" repeated 20 times for the thieves guild to be fucking content.

Skyrim was a sixty hour game for me, both ME1+ME2 were 100+ hours.

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular

And we've come full circle back to that MW2 "boycott" group picture the day of launch.

No one will cancel their preorder over this. Maybe some dude will. Whatever. But it won't even be a drop in the bucket of people who will just bitch about it but still buy the game. Whether or not they buy the DLC isn't even the point.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

in one playthrough you spent over 100 hours in ME1 and then did the same thing in ME2?
    I don't even know how that would be possible. Really stretching it out and doing EVERYTHING in ME2 takes about 50 hours, 60 tops (including all the DLC)

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Man, paying the price point you want for the amount of game you want is terrible. Especially if they take that month between when the game goes gold and release date to work on DLC that will be available on Day 1.

We should get that for FREE, even if otherwise those personnel would be working on something else, because I deserve it.

edit: So long as in-game they don't have something as over the top as that douchebag at the party encampment in DA:1. That pulled me right out of the game and pissed me off.

Orca on
  • VoroVoro Registered User regular
    I like how people seem to think this is a change in behavior from Bioware's norm. Has it been that long since Warden's Keep?

XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
    Jesus Christ this thread fills up with dumb shit arguments during the day.
    having part of the game removed

You clearly have great insight into the development process of this game. Can you tell me when they decided to excise the content, and what occurs there if you lack the DLC, or are you just making assumptions?
    Like whether a squadmate is unique vs. uniquely recruitable?

By the way, $60 vs. $70 is not the price point that determines a pirate. "Morals" vs "lack of morals and an inflated sense of entitlement" is what determines whether you pirate something or not. Let's not engage in the reckless blurring of lines in order to make thievery seem like a rational, just decision when discussing opulent luxuries.
    I'm pretty pissed

Surprise, surprise.

If it's ready by the time the game comes out, and more is charged for it, then it's part of the game they deliberately decided to not ship because they felt $60 wasn't enough for the price of the game.

This is coming from somebody who spent hundreds of dollars for fucking animation variations and costumes I never used in Champions Online. I'm totally down with charging for additional content, day one DLC is a fucking racket though and the only reason they're getting away with it is it's Mass Effect

What I don't understand is people praising this behavior. I really hope I'm wrong but the community's response to this makes me think we're going to start seeing more and more day one DLC in games in the future, people clearly love it.

• wiltingwilting I had fun once and it was awful Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Personally I enjoy both the Bioware and Bethesda model of RPGs and really don't care about this dlc debate. If you want it buy it, if you don't, don't.

wilting on
    edited February 2012
    It sets a really bad precedent and provides a tremendous economic incentive to take resources away from game development so you can have enough stuff ready to go on day one to charge extra. I can't be the only one who sees the trend.

Imagine you're electronic arts for a second and you read this thread: Most of the people think day one DLC is totally awesome. Now you're planning Mass Effect 4 or Mass Effect: Wrex goes to Vegas or something, you now have the option of making $X or $X+Y+Z if you take a third of the development team and devote them to making your game ala carte

override367 on
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I still haven't bought Sebastian for DA2.

I'm ok with this.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    you're paying S&H for things with free S&H?

A near definite date of delivery is why I don't goof around with Super Saver Shipping. I don't have the patience/tolerance for any package I order to play "Missed Delivery" tag, be stolen, damaged, or left simply left outside... So, yeah. I pay for S&H. The cost is peanuts vs that agitation.

Amazon.com has release-date delivery for $1.00.

And that, friends, is why I always buy new games that I care about recieving on release date from Amazon.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind