As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Computer Build Thread: Old Dead Thread, Read New Thread

• Day of the BearDay of the Bear The Qun demandsRegistered User regular
    Just get a little blood in the thermal compound. It's sure to help your overclock

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Iron is an excellent conductor.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
    Exactly

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • R0land1188R0land1188 Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Okay I am budgeting out a system and have never built a system before. I have a couple of questions.

What is the difference between a mid and full tower?

What wattage power supply should I be looking for? I am currently looking at putting something together with an i3 and picking up a dedicated video card later.

EDIT: Also are the barebones kits a decent deal for the most part? At least to get my feet wet in building a pc?

R0land1188 on
    steam_sig.png
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Full towers are huge, mid towers are kinda big nowadays but theyre the size of "normal" computers.

Depending on your setup, a i3 2100 and a dedicated video card can get away with a quality 500w power supply.

500 watts is plenty for almost any single gpu setup.

m6eoUgQ.jpg
    I guess I can't edit my posts on my phone, but unless you have both an overclocked gpu And and overclocked sbe or bulldozer cpu or like ten plus hard drives 500 watts on a quality psu will be just fine.

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    So I'm looking for some advice. I bought this computer about.. five years ago now? And at the time it wasn't even that great - decent, but definitely not high-end. And obviously things have progressed since then.

Here are the specs:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+ (two of them, I think? it's been a while and I'm a little tech-stupid.)
    2.61GHz, 2.0GB RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
    (and probably other important information I'm forgetting to include)

At the time I worried that I might have scrimped on the processor in particular, and I've always had issues with lag, exacerbated of course when I play games which require intensive processing power. For example, League of Legends takes forever to load a game for me, though I usually don't have too many issues in-game (with settings turned down).

I guess my question is whether or not upgrading my processor would be worth it, or if I should really just save up for an entirely new rig? With the caveat that I'd be terrified of installing a processor, although I did successfully install an extra harddrive at one point.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
    edited February 2012
    It depends on your motherboard. I had a system that started off with very similar specs. The motherboard I used will support, after bios updating, all the way up to some phenom II x4s

At this point your GPU will also hold you back in a lot of games, although you could certainly drop in a new one of those as well.

What kind of power supply do you have?

Day of the Bear on
    m6eoUgQ.jpg
    edited February 2012
    I have no idea what power supply or motherboard I have, lol.

Would I have to open the case to check? (Which actually, I should probably do anyway, I'm sure I'm waaay overdue to get rid of the dust..)

facetious on
    Real strong, facetious.

Opening the case up will be your best bet if you don't know.

And if you haven't dusted it out recently that is almost certainly going to give you a small performance boost all on it's own from reducing heat.

The motherboard should have it's make/model printed on the front, usually either between the CPU socket and the expansion slots, or between two of the expansion slots.

The PSU should have a sticker on it indicating brand and model, among other things. That sticker may or may not be visible depending on your case and the orientation the PSU was installed in though.

m6eoUgQ.jpg
    Yeah like I said, I should probably do it regardless. I'll try to do it tomorrow if I can and report back.

Thanks man.

Real strong, facetious.

• AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    R0land1188 wrote:
    Okay I am budgeting out a system and have never built a system before. I have a couple of questions.

What wattage power supply should I be looking for? I am currently looking at putting something together with an i3 and picking up a dedicated video card later.

EDIT: Also are the barebones kits a decent deal for the most part? At least to get my feet wet in building a pc?

To answer your Edit question: it depends. A lot of barebones kits use some pretty good stuff alongside some pretty terrible stuff. So maybe you end up with the CPU you want, with a mediocre motherboard, okay RAM, and a terrible power supply, along with a pretty janky case. I generally find that you can still save some money with the more basic 2 item combos and get a better overall quality of component, rather than getting a barebones kit.

The real key is to find out what's in the barebones and deciding if you're comfortable with the quality of the individual components.

• TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Alecthar wrote:
    R0land1188 wrote:

To answer your Edit question: it depends. A lot of barebones kits use some pretty good stuff alongside some pretty terrible stuff. So maybe you end up with the CPU you want, with a mediocre motherboard, okay RAM, and a terrible power supply, along with a pretty janky case. I generally find that you can still save some money with the more basic 2 item combos and get a better overall quality of component, rather than getting a barebones kit.

The real key is to find out what's in the barebones and deciding if you're comfortable with the quality of the individual components.

Yeah, those big combos seem to be a way to clear out poorly selling inventory. They'll temp you with one or two high quality components (usually the sexy parts like the CPU), then hope that you don't notice the crap they're trying to unload with it.

TheCanMan on
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I'd steer clear of most of those barebones kit for that reason. Plus, a lot of good part suppliers (at least Microcenter and newegg that I've seen) will sometimes offer sales on motherboards and CPUs purchased together. I got $75 of my wife's i3/mobo combo from Microcenter this way. It's worth keeping an eye out for.

• ParielPariel Registered User regular
    Microcenter is great for CPU/mobo deals, and apparently they have decent prices on graphics cards (although I've never bought one there).

Yep, Microcenter typically beats Newegg's CPU pricing. Sometimes by a lot. I've always found their RAM and GPU pricing to be on par with Newegg. Sometimes a tiny bit more, but not enough to make it worth ordering online, waiting/paying for shipping, etc when I could just buy it in person.

• mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Ok. I am days from purchase. tell me where Im f'ing up.

newegg wish list is 'moop.' its public. the jist
    CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
    Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
    Hard Drive: OCZ Agility 3 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 OC edition 3GB Video Card
    Power Supply: Corsair 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
    Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Wired Gaming Keyboard

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
    mojojoeo wrote:

You don't have a case. :P

• mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    TheCanMan wrote: »
    mojojoeo wrote:

Lol. Whooops. I have a home server in an antec p180. I am buying a 20 'special' from new egg for it and the antec will go to this. :p Shoulda said that earlier.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
    edited February 2012
    mojojoeo wrote:
    mojojoeo wrote:

Lol. Whooops. I have a home server in an antec p180. I am buying a 20 'special' from new egg for it and the antec will go to this. :p Shoulda said that earlier.

Also, it may have been a conscious decision, but you don't have an HDD. I'm assuming you either have one lying around or you're just going with the SSD. But figured I'd point that out.

As for what you have listed, everything looks fine. I'm assuming that PSU is the CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750? That's fairly overkill for this system, but not by an unreasonable amount.

Still, if you're looking to trim some fat, you could get something like a SeaSonic S12II 620 Bronze, or an XFX Core Edition PRO650W, or you could stick with Corsair but step down to a TX650. The SeaSonic M12II 620 and OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W will get you modular.

TheCanMan on
    I'll add in a recommendation for the OCZ ModXStream 700. Stupid name aside, it powered a pair of 6950s in my system with an overclocked i5 before taking permanent residence in my wife's machine where it has been chugging happily along for months.

My only complaint with it is that the CPU power cable is a bit short, so you may not be able to route it behind the mobo in a moderately large case.

mojojoeo wrote:
    mojojoeo wrote:

Also, it may have been a conscious decision, but you don't have an HDD. I'm assuming you either have one lying around or you're just going with the SSD. But figured I'd point that out.

As for what you have listed, everything looks fine. I'm assuming that PSU is the CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750? That's fairly overkill for this system, but not by an unreasonable amount.

Still, if you're looking to trim some fat, you could get something like a SeaSonic S12II 620 Bronze, or an XFX Core Edition PRO650W, or you could stick with Corsair but step down to a TX650. The SeaSonic M12II 620 and OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W will get you modular.

have a TB sata drive sitting in a drawer for storage this machine.

Trimming fat is good BUT will 700 power an eventual sli?

If so awesome!

As I mentioned, I powered two 6950s and a highly overclocked i5, plus 3 HDDs, a substantial CPU cooler, and assorted fans all on a 700watt PSU.

Of course, if you're going with cards sporting drastically higher power draws, it may be worth bumping up a bit.

Oh, one thing to note: many 700watt PSUs, like the OCZ one will only have a couple of PCIe power connectors. You'll need 4 for most SLI/Crossfire setups, so you'll have to use some Molex->PCIe adapters.

Not a problem or anything, but something to look out for.

• ParielPariel Registered User regular
    A pair of 7950s shouldn't tax a good 700W PSU like the ModxStream. Tom's has Crossfired 7950s running under 550W, although 7970s run up around 620W.

Oh, one thing to note: many 700watt PSUs, like the OCZ one will only have a couple of PCIe power connectors. You'll need 4 for most SLI/Crossfire setups, so you'll have to use some Molex->PCIe adapters.

7950s require less watts.... and Ive have less to put in the machine.... def save me a few bucks.
    And OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W is modular...... nice.

mojojoeo wrote:

7950s require less watts.... and Ive have less to put in the machine.... def save me a few bucks.

It should be noted that the OCZ (just like pretty much every OCZ PSU) has much less 12V amperage than you'd expect from a 700W unit. In fact, of the five I listed, it has the lowest 12V amperage (2A less than the two SeaSonic 620s, and 7A less than the two 650W units). So it'd actually be my last choice (unless you want to roll the dice and hope for the sweet MIR to actually come through).

edited February 2012
    mojojoeo wrote:

It should be noted that the OCZ (just like pretty much every OCZ PSU) has much less 12V amperage than you'd expect from a 700W unit. In fact, of the five I listed, it has the lowest 12V amperage (2A less than the two SeaSonic 620s, and 7A less than the two 650W units). So it'd actually be my last choice (unless you want to roll the dice and hope for the sweet MIR to actually come through).

seasonic handle an sli?

Its cheaper....

edit- I think its moot the 750 cosair is on sale and very cheap @ like 84-89 after rebates. may as well go big.

mojojoeo on
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    so according to steam i don't have crossfire enabled while i took the CS:GA survey

i have this motherboard
    ASRock P55 Pro LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel
    and my 6770 is in the blue slot on it, which is the primary as far as i can tell, and the crossfire logo pops up, so why doesn't it say i am crossfired?

camo_sig.png
  • HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    mts wrote: »
    so according to steam i don't have crossfire enabled while i took the CS:GA survey

i have this motherboard
    ASRock P55 Pro LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel
    and my 6770 is in the blue slot on it, which is the primary as far as i can tell, and the crossfire logo pops up, so why doesn't it say i am crossfired?

hmm you could try running an instance of GPU-Z for each card and monitoring activity, or they could be a better app for it; never done crossfirex but when I was running SLI I'd use eVGA Precision to monitor GPU Load on the LCD of my G15 keyboard.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
    I'd check in the catalyst control center to see if it says CFX is enabled.

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    mojojoeo wrote:

That's pretty much my system, which is running great by the way!
    Only differences are I have a GTX560 for a video card, and a 650W Corsair PSU.

edited February 2012
    minirhyder wrote: »
    mojojoeo wrote:

Nice, and glad to hear it! Was the processor easy to seat?

750 is on sale this week @ 79.99 after rebate and some patriot memory with the same clocks is 35.99 too. Making those switches and buying by Friday dependent on how fast the paperwork goes through.

mojojoeo on
  • cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    Ugh I want that 7950, just can't justify the expense right now. Soooooon!

• minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    mojojoeo wrote:
    minirhyder wrote: »
    mojojoeo wrote:

Nice, and glad to hear it! Was the processor easy to seat?

750 is on sale this week @ 79.99 after rebate and some patriot memory with the same clocks is 35.99 too. Making those switches and buying by Friday dependent on how fast the paperwork goes through.

Yeah, the processor was a piece of cake, just drop it in there and lock.
    The Cooler Master was a bit of a daunting task though, you might need an extra set of hands to set it up (at least I did). Haven't seen my processor over 50C though!

• mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular

see thats where i am iffy. if i go to the crossfire tab, there is a check in the box next to enable crossfire, but the actual text looks like it is greyed sort of like it wasn't an option. however, i can select disable crossfire and apply that

if i do that, it won't let me reclick enable and apply

camo_sig.png
    mts wrote: »

see thats where i am iffy. if i go to the crossfire tab, there is a check in the box next to enable crossfire, but the actual text looks like it is greyed sort of like it wasn't an option. however, i can select disable crossfire and apply that

if i do that, it won't let me reclick enable and apply

What I would do is fully uninstall the catalyst drivers, then do a reinstall of the latest version with both cards present in the system.

After doing this my cfx setup was happily enabled in everything

m6eoUgQ.jpg
    i am just gonna get a haf 912 to toss all the parts in...

the cable management is so sexy in it.

The 912 is a real easy case to build in. great thermals too, especially if you stick a few 200mm fans in it

m6eoUgQ.jpg
This discussion has been closed.